• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate announced for Wii U/3DS, coming to West, no 3DS online

Wii U isn't exactly as limited as Wii.

I want to believe they won't make up some shit excuse to make it pretty similar than to what it is in tri.

I doubt it though. I'm cynical as fuck when it comes to MH. I've been burned so many times.

edit: To above, that won't stop them curbing lobby sizes.

Kyoufu

But... GAF told me it would be the wii of next gen.

I want to believe they won't make up some shit excuse to make it pretty similar than to what it is in tri.

I doubt it though. I'm cynical as fuck when it comes to MH. I've been burned so many times.

edit: To above, that won't stop them curbing lobby sizes.

Well this is a 3DS game on a souped up PS3. There isn't going to be any technical limitations with this, at least not with voice chat quality.

Capcom are lazy though so I don't expect anything more than 4 player rooms.

GET IN!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...hunter-3-ultimate-wii-u-and-3ds-work-together

I recommend yall to read the whole article, some key excerpts:
So the only thing we know is that it probably won't be a step back from Tri's online? Nintendo needs to end this information embargo on their online services soon. :/

Seems like they recognize that the online interface could be more streamlined though.

Once you get four hunters connected together you'll automatically go off on a quest. We're trying to make an online experience that's extremely stress-free and easy to use for the players."

jimmypython

OK, so the 3ds version will be able to play local co-op with the Wiiu. The WiiU will be able to play online. How hard would it be for them to allow the 3ds version to piggyback the wiiu? Meaning, if I were on the wiiu and my wife on the 3ds, would it be possible for them to allow us to play with another couple with the same setup online?

this is a really good question.

Mondriaan

Seems like they recognize that the online interface could be more streamlined though.
Once you get four hunters connected together you'll automatically go off on a quest. We're trying to make an online experience that's extremely stress-free and easy to use for the players."
There has to be a whole bunch of context missing because it sounds like he's saying that they want to get rid of the guild hall (as we know it).

Haunted

It usually goes like this:
Me: "Go to walls first to break off horns; follow me."
P2: "K."
P3: "K."
P4, who is wearing full Rathalos armor and uses a longsword, is completely silent.

Fight starts.

Me, P2, and P3 are all by the wall, while P4 is off fighting Alatreon. He dies, and decides to type something:

P4: "WTF???"
Surprisingly accurate.

There has to be a whole bunch of context missing because it sounds like he's saying that they want to get rid of the guild hall (as we know it).
Thought the same thing, but they wouldn't be that dumb.

We need to change gear, upgrade weapons, buy items, eat. We need a lobby.

It usually goes like this:
Me: "Go to walls first to break off horns; follow me."
P2: "K."
P3: "K."
P4, who is wearing full Rathalos armor and uses a longsword, is completely silent.

Fight starts.

Me, P2, and P3 are all by the wall, while P4 is off fighting Alatreon. He dies, and decides to type something:

P4: "WTF???"
I just caught the shade. jshfksdjfhsdjkfhsk

I really need this for WiiU. I loved Tri, but after like 20 hours in my old TV broke and I had to switch it to my HD tv which just made it look like mud and it was depressing to play. How much better does it look if I get component cables for Wii?

Emitan

I really need this for WiiU. I loved Tri, but after like 20 hours in my old TV broke and I had to switch it to my HD tv which just made it look like mud and it was depressing to play. How much better does it look if I get component cables for Wii?

Still looks awful unfortunately.

Mzo

Still looks awful unfortunately.
It'll look better than not even using component cables, but it will never look that good on an HDTV. You should definitely get those component cables.

From a proper viewing distance Tri looks alright. Could be one of the better looking Wii games, actually.

Emitan

It'll look better than not even using component cables, but it will never look that good on an HDTV. You should definitely get those component cables.

From a proper viewing distance Tri looks alright. Could be one of the better looking Wii games, actually.

It's really weird how it's probably the best looking Wii game from a technical point but at the same time it's pretty awful looking. I should try it out in Dolphin.

I've never played MH before. Is it possible to play the game single player? If so, are there AI hunters that join you? Or is coop the only way to go?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So since we're currently lacking in screenshots for the Wii U version of Ultimate, let's pass the time by oggling shots of Tri in Dolphin!

(source)

ig4Sv07AoXlcB.png

io9SrILbSV37t.png

iRQrwnFPTQwBo.png

ibsAYh3Nh1Y2ce.png

iNLibTzywiGuO.png

i4vQErTKrTBzr.png

idmHDT4hiagAX.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
i will lol if ultimate wii u uses the textures from the 3DS game instead of the Wii game

Dunno about that, but 95% sure Capcom said "eff it" to the textures on 4 and are holding back far better ones for the probable Wii version.

Why would they be "looking into" voice chat. Every Wii U has voice chat out of the box, should be a foregone conclusion with online games.

Erethian

Why would they be "looking into" voice chat. Every Wii U has voice chat out of the box, should be a foregone conclusion with online games.

At this stage it would be more about the amount of effort they want to put in for what is ostensibly a port of a 3DS game.

Hopefully with it being a launch title in Japan (and subsequently something Nintendo seems eager to promote) they go all out in making it as good a port as they can and take advantage of everything the Wii U has to offer.

Hiltz

Interesting. I've never seen that Dragonator strategy before. Heh, players sure love to exploit bugs in games.

Yeah, those Dolphin screenshots of MH TRi sure do look good. If Wii games clean up that nicely, then I must be in for a real treat with the more compotent hardware power Wii U has and to finally play games in HD too.

Hiltz

Speaking of bombs, It seems like a lot of players don't bother using bouncing bombs, but they're fun to use and they deal very good damage too.

Hiltz

Yeah, having spare room is usually the reason why players don't often bring them along against most quests. However, their great for helping to break Jhen Mohran's tusks (or use to hit beneath his jaw), Alatreon's Wings,and Deviljho's face. Plus, they can make monsters like Lagiacrus flinch easily.

Codeblue

I bring them with me on any flying monster hunt. Unless you're a gunner, you can't really hit a monster in the air or one that's flying away. If you get lucky you might even drop a monster that was about to take off to a different area.

Bounce bombs are totally rad and you should feel bad if you aren't using them.

Yeah, having spare room is usually the reason why players don't often bring them along against most quests. However, their great for helping to break Jhen Mohran's tusks (or use to hit beneath his jaw), Alatreon's Wings,and Deviljho's face. Plus, they can make monsters like Lagiacrus flinch easily.
I never got the hang of aiming Bounce Bombs underwater. They're a great way to supplement damage when I use a paralysis weapon though. Especially when it's too risky to use LBB+ because of LS users wailing away at the monster.

Hiltz

I never got the hang of aiming Bounce Bombs underwater. They're a great way to supplement damage when I use a paralysis weapon though. Especially when it's too risky to use LBB+ because of LS users wailing away at the monster.

I hear ya. Getting used to bounce bombs underwater is fairly tricky especially with the + version. Still, it's cool to use them just see em torpedo away.

I almost always get hit by Gigginox when using regular bounce bombs due to his quick body slam and hanging swoop attacks. Not a big window for opportunity unless using bounce bombs+ it seems.

Bleep

I almost always get hit by Gigginox when using regular bounce bombs due to his quick body slam and hanging swoop attacks. Not a big window for opportunity unless using bounce bombs+ it seems.

If you stand directly in the middle of it's shadow the hanging swoop attack will miss. I always go nuts with bounce bombs against Gigginox, more for fun than anything else.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD didn't look like those Dolphin shots.

Yes, but MHP3 wasn't MHTri
Let's hope!

But... GAF told me it would be the wii of next gen.

It will be the less powerful, but it's impossible for it to be "the Wii": it's coming one year (at least) before the more powerful competitors (unlike the Wii, way less powerful than Xbox360 that hit the market one year earlier, and way less powerful of PS3 released at the same time); it's way more powerful of the previous Nintendo console (unlike the Wii that was almost similar to the GC in terms of graphics); it's an HD console that probably will share resolution barrier with the vast majority of the games for competitor consoles (unlike the Wii that was unable to play on th same pitch, and looking at Dolphin emulator should suggest us how much this limit affected the Wii graphically)

Top Bottom