• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

upandaway

I think I'm in love

mzgcJtQ.jpg

The first round happens almost freaking instantly (armor looks terrible but y'know)

Also have a similar set with Awaken and Razor Sharp instead of Speed Sharpening (downgrading status to +1), I just don't have Midnight Blackwings for it yet. Yet.

Yet.

AnnTiPa

I don't suppose there would be any HR1 - 2 people left here who'd be up for some hunting? I tried creating a room named "HR1 only" but it just instantly filled with HR20+ people and I'd prefer a tiny bit of challenge in my hunts...

Oxx

I really hadn't made much progress at all this week. But I finally got another Barroth tail this morning. Even after carving the first tail I cut gave me a Ridge.

Time to make some moves.

Chuckpebble

Has anyone had any luck with punishing draw in grank solo? I've yet to get a single KO with it. Using GS of course. I just feel that they nerfed it to only be a support skill.

Is anyone playing tonight? I'm looking to get some gold crowns knocked off my list but honestly I'm up for killing anything just to get back into the swing of things.

Toxi

Banned
I saw my first Gold Crown yesterday; it was a Glacial Agnaktor.

The size difference isn't usually that noticeable to the point that I didn't realize there was one before, but when you're going from 2,500 centimeters to 3,000 centimeters, it's a pretty big difference.

I think I'm in love

mzgcJtQ.jpg

The first round happens almost freaking instantly (armor looks terrible but y'know)

Also have a similar set with Awaken and Razor Sharp instead of Speed Sharpening (downgrading status to +1), I just don't have Midnight Blackwings for it yet. Yet.

Yet.

That's quite the mix you got there. How'd you get status +2?

Anura

Has anyone had any luck with punishing draw in grank solo? I've yet to get a single KO with it. Using GS of course. I just feel that they nerfed it to only be a support skill.
Rathian should be easily stunned at least once. Sniping is the way to go with it but it does seem to take much too long to KO

so i restarted a bit of monster hunter on wiiu. i have a blademaster type character on wii u and a bowgun character on 3DS.

i had no problems beating gigginox with the bowgun but man with my blade gal its impossible.

same goes to duramboros...

any tips?

also any good way to earn easy money?

upandaway

That's quite the mix you got there. How'd you get status +2?
That set has a ridiculous amount of slots, it's just gemmed in. The charm is Handicraft +5.

Completed the two Blackwings sets, lucked out on a crazy Thunder Atk+Dragon Atk charm while doing it, so I made a set for that too (still have to upgrade the weapon..)
eraUkNl.jpg
VkeWb0y.jpg

GoGRdEU.jpg

Having a weapon with 60% affinity is so good. White sparks everywhere.

Toxi

Banned
so i restarted a bit of monster hunter on wiiu. i have a blademaster type character on wii u and a bowgun character on 3DS.

i had no problems beating gigginox with the bowgun but man with my blade gal its impossible.

same goes to duramboros...

any tips?

What weapon are you using? I like using Switch Axe and Lance, and the back step of the Lance is VERY helpful against Gigginox's poison body slam.

For Gigginox, try to keep at the edge of your range. Do not over-commit to attacks. Gigginox has an obvious tell for its poison body slam, so learn it and be ready to roll to the side or back when it happens. Turn around and roll if you have enough time. Stay close to the front; the bites are annoying, but you deal more damage and don't have to worry about poison eggs. If you're still getting poisoned to much, make Wroggi Armor (Low or High rank) and just laugh at it.

For Duramboros, hit the humps (most vulnerable point after they break) when you can and try to stay underneath it. The boss will move forward when it wants to hit you with tail swings, and will move back when it wants to charge you or do headbutts. Pitfall traps allow you to hit the humps easier. You can trip it when it does the dreidel spin, but rolling past the tail is really difficult, so I'd advise staying close to its back feet.

For both enemies, Fire is the best element. Gigginox has a crazy high weakness to fire.

For earning money, find a few rare trade items by hunting monsters in Moga Woods and trade with the Argosy Captain to upgrade your fishing fleet. Send the fleet to areas that give treasure instead of areas that give fish. Alternatively, do Port Quests; you have online multiplayer to make them easier, and they give more money than village quests.

Insaniac

What weapon are you using? I like using Switch Axe and Lance, and the back step of the Lance is VERY helpful against Gigginox's poison body slam.

For Gigginox, try to keep at the edge of your range. Do not over-commit to attacks. Gigginox has an obvious tell for its poison body slam, so learn it and be ready to roll to the side or back when it happens. Turn around and roll if you have enough time. Stay close to the front; the bites are annoying, but you deal more damage and don't have to worry about poison eggs. If you're still getting poisoned to much, make Wroggi Armor (Low or High rank) and just laugh at it.

For Duramboros, hit the humps (most vulnerable point after they break) when you can and try to stay underneath it. The boss will move forward when it wants to hit you with tail swings, and will move back when it wants to charge you or do headbutts. Pitfall traps allow you to hit the humps easier. You can trip it when it does the dreidel spin, but rolling past the tail is really difficult, so I'd advise staying close to its back feet.

For both enemies, Fire is the best element. Gigginox has a crazy high weakness to fire.

For earning money, find a few rare trade items by hunting monsters in Moga Woods and trade with the Argosy Captain to upgrade your fishing fleet. Send the fleet to areas that give treasure instead of areas that give fish. Alternatively, do Port Quests; you have online multiplayer to make them easier, and they give more money than village quests.

I think you need Guard Up to block the poison slam attack. Can't remember for sure

Chuckpebble

You can farm and sell nulberries on a fully upgraded farm for good income. Also, having both shakalakas wear the cosmic masks was a huge help at the start of G-rank. After quests their pockets are full of loot that I think is only meant to sell off.

I'm looking at my edgemaster charms and my 2nd skill is really lacking. Is there anyway to find out what other +3's (or +2) exist on table 7 if I can't use either program?

Chuckpebble

I'm looking at my edgemaster charms and my 2nd skill is really lacking. Is there anyway to find out what other +3's (or +2) exist on table 7 if I can't use either program?

For Edgemaster +3 there's:
+4 Gloves Off
+3 Survivor
+2 Biology
+1 Punishing Draw

For +2:
+6 Potential
+6 Thunder Atk
+6 Stam Drain
+5 Potential
+4 Rapid Fire
+3 Free Element
+3 Unscathed
+3 Charmer
+3 Tenderizer
+1 Crit Draw

For Edgemaster +3 there's:
+4 Gloves Off
+3 Survivor
+2 Biology
+1 Punishing Draw

For +2:
+6 Potential
+6 Thunder Atk
+6 Stam Drain
+5 Potential
+4 Rapid Fire
+3 Free Element
+3 Unscathed
+3 Charmer
+3 Tenderizer
+1 Crit Draw

Thank ya kindly. I guess there wasn't any better options after all.

DoubleTap

Currently trying to farm 1 Brachydios Gem is it worth the extra 1% chance doing it in G instead of High Rank?
The hunts go quicker in High Rank and I use a lot less resources to do the job. So I can do a lot more hunts.

tuffy

Currently trying to farm 1 Brachydios Gem is it worth the extra 1% chance doing it in G instead of High Rank?
The hunts go quicker in High Rank and I use a lot less resources to do the job. So I can do a lot more hunts.
If you can clear the high rank quests 50% faster, it makes a lot more sense to do a bunch of them for gems rather than a few G rank quests. Doing 2 quests with 2% chances each is a better use of time than 1 quest with 3% chances.

DoubleTap

If you can clear the high rank quests 50% faster, it makes a lot more sense to do a bunch of them for gems rather than a few G rank quests. Doing 2 quests with 2% chances each is a better use of time than 1 quest with 3% chances.

That's a good way of putting it. Thanks!

DoubleTap

But won't you eventually need Brach Pallium too? If so, you should stick to G-rank.

I have that already and I'm only missing the 1 gem for the Brach X chest piece (it needs 2).

My paranoid self is thinking I shouldn't have made the other armor pieces yet until I had all the ingredients. Of course I'm speculating this is how the fabled desire meter kicks in. The game knows I have the other armor pieces so now the drops will be less. Should've just made a list to keep track of everything.

Toxi

Banned
I got three Rathalos Rubies from doing Azure Attack and Heaven and Earth, so now I have a shiny new set of Azure Rathalos armor. Feels good being able to hit monsters during roars.

You can farm and sell nulberries on a fully upgraded farm for good income. Also, having both shakalakas wear the cosmic masks was a huge help at the start of G-rank. After quests their pockets are full of loot that I think is only meant to sell off.

thank you

I am using a great sword btw and have a secondary long sword as well.

Chuckpebble

The Blade of Tartarus is such a sleeper of a weapon. I only forged it because I liked it in Tri. I kind of let it sit for a bit because I was disappointed in its green sharpness. Then I paired it with handicraft and it went to purple sharpness. My GS hunts are going so fast now.

Kiranico has for weapons, if that's what you mean.

I meant a running total for everything you can make for a completion of the game. I want to make everything but sadly my friend said I wouldn't have enough inventory for them all :(

Does all Low, High, and G rank armour of the higher or lower ranks look the same?

Anura

I meant a running total for everything you can make for a completion of the game. I want to make everything but sadly my friend said I wouldn't have enough inventory for them all :(

Does all Low, High, and G rank armour of the higher or lower ranks look the same?
G looks different for most monsters.

tuffy

Although it would be interesting to calculate the maximum number of each monster part you'll ever need to craft all possible weapons, armors and decorations - like you'll never need more than 27 Uragaan Rubies - it's true that you'd never be able to fit all that equipment in your box at once.

tuffy

Finally got my Brach X armor set. Curious though, why does it flash when I'm next to a monster while it roars?
That's your Challenger +2 skill activating. When you're in the same room as a raging monster, it gives you Attack Up (L) and Critical Eye +2 until the monster calms down again.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
How active is the online community in general for this game now? Just picked up a Wii U, considering finding a cheap copy of MH3U to play online a bit.

Epcott

Just bought today for Wii U, can't wait to play.

My first Monster Hunter (that I've actually owned and given a damn about).
Add me guys, NNID: Epcott.

Just take it easy on me!

tuffy

We're going to have to put together another GAF room at this rate.

We'll help with anything. No part too rare, no hunter rank too small.

Toxi

Banned
I finally hit G-rank.

Goldbeard Ceadeus
, you were much more fun to fight than your lazy relative. Having 50 minutes to kill it helped, as did the advice about the underwater ballista I got in this thread. Got a Deep Dragongem and a Dark Dragongem from carves, whoohoo!

Any tips for getting into G-Rank? I used a Dios Axe+ against
Goldbeard
and was wearing Azure Rathalos armor gemmed and equipped to have Tenderizer. I tried the G-Rank "Sweltering Showdown" quest and got carted by a Volvidon. :(

also

Banned
I finally hit G-rank.

Goldbeard Ceadeus
, you were much more fun to fight than your lazy relative. Having 50 minutes to kill it helped, as did the advice about the underwater ballista I got in this thread. Got a Deep Dragongem and a Dark Dragongem from carves, whoohoo!

Goldbeard
and was wearing Azure Rathalos armor gemmed and equipped to have Tenderizer. I tried the G-Rank "Sweltering Showdown" quest and got carted by a Volvidon. :(
Forge one of the later HR armors.
I forged Jhen's armor for Mark of the Hero and it carried me through G-rank just fine until I found the G-armor set that I wanted to forge (Plesioth+golden lunecoil). I was using the same swax and I used gems and a talisman to get critical eye+3, and bombardier and get rid of worrywart.

Anura

I finally hit G-rank.

Goldbeard Ceadeus

Goldbeard

Well you could craft the Ceadeus armor like I did in my Japanese game. Its a pain to work towards alone but I think it was worth it. However if you have online then you have no excuse not to make it. My HR brachy DS also carried me in G rank until I was able to upgrade them so you should be fine for the most part when it comes to weapons.

tuffy

Goldbeard
The easiest thing you can do right away to up your survival chances is to upgrade your armor with more spheres. With the free DLC, Armor Stones will occasionally turn up for sale in Granny's shop in port. Combine these with Eltalite Ore (which is all over the G rank Deserted Isle) to make Hvy Spheres, or Flutterflies (which sometimes turn up in the G rank Flooded Forest) to make Tru Spheres. Maxed out armor pieces will let you take more hits and all the materials can be collected without risk from the first G rank harvest tours.

Elija2

Since I still suck at capturing monsters I want to get the Capture Guru skill. To do so I would have to get my perception up to 10, right? Well I have the Jaggi armor set which as far as I know gives me no perception points, so I would have to decorate my armor with perception jewels to get it up to 10. Problem is that my armor doesn't have enough slots to reach that number. Is there a way for me to increase the number of slots my armor has or do I have to get a whole new armor set?

Since I still suck at capturing monsters I want to get the Capture Guru skill. To do so I would have to get my perception up to 10, right? Well I have the Jaggi armor set which as far as I know gives me no perception points, so I would have to decorate my armor with perception jewels to get it up to 10. Problem is that my armor doesn't have enough slots to reach that number. Is there a way for me to increase the number of slots my armor has or do I have to get a whole new armor set?

Only ways to get more slots is to equip a talisman (up to 3 slots) or a weapon with slots (up to 3 slots). Maybe solving your problem with capturing would be more profitable? What is the issue exactly?

Top Bottom