• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: over 3m units shipped WW (inc. digital sales)

L~A

Capcom has just announced that total shipments for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate have reached 3m worldwide. This includes retail shipments + download card sales + eShop sales.

Unfortunately, they don't tell us how many were sold in Japan / the rest of the World. But based on this thread, that's a around 250k for the western launch?

Monster Hunter shipments outside Japan.

There is a certain margin of error since these are round figures.

Wii Monster Hunter Tri - 750,000
3DS Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 900,000
3DS Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 300,000

Better context (for US; retail only)

Monster Hunter 3 first month - 126,000 (12 days tracked)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate first month - 120,000 - 125,000 (19 days tracked)

Source

Bruno MB

This is a very conservative initial shipment (at best 300,000) for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, I would have expected around half a million units.

HeeHo

I am way happy if the game ends up doing even better than this. I thought the ps2 Monster Hunters looked great. I imagine a modern console version would really catch people's eyes.

I got a New 3DS just to play the game with two sticks...I end up clicking the L button to re-center the camera more often than using the stick still :L

L~A

Is 250k in only 3 days really that bad?

Well, we don't have any data for EU/NA yet. The 250k is just an estimate based on the number of units shipped in Japan (2.7m by Dec. 31st). But it's certainly not lower than 200k.

And no, it's not bad, since shortages have been pretty common this week-end (so at the very least, initial expectations have been met, which is great news).

Unison

It's done ok, but no where near the numbers it gets in Japan. It's just too hardcore for the average US player.

I don't disagree, but how on earth is this game so popular in Japan, given its complexity? Surely there aren't 4 million people who can play the game at high proficiency.

Do people explain the various systems to each other there or something?

Bruno MB

Shengar

MH is the type of game that should have decent legs. I'm looking forward to next MH4U sales report from Capcom.

hupla

Pretty much everyone ive streetpassed since it came out has been playing this which suprised me! Super happy to see it doing well

L~A

Thanks, added to the OP!

Oh, and for those wondering "how can you ship a digital game", my answer is "how can you NOT read the first line in the OP?" ;)

This includes retail shipments + download card sales + eShop sales.

Bruno MB

It seems Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate will fall 600,000 - 800,000 units short of Capcom's expectations.

capturekvjp1.jpg

I don't disagree, but how on earth is this game so popular in Japan, given its complexity? Surely there aren't 4 million people who can play the game at high proficiency.

That's the whole reason its so popular... Its great to get people talking to each other.

I'm still annoyed by it not being on Wii U. Or any other console, for that matter.

I too would have loved it on Wii U, mainly because it's just nicer to look at and the bigger screen doesn't tire out my eyes as fast.
Still, I love the game. Could easily be my GOTY 2015.

Unison

That's the whole reason its so popular... Its great to get people talking to each other.

That makes sense to a degree, having played the games... and helps explain why the multiplayer has been local co-op focused.

Does anyone know what the game's reputation is in Japan? Is it like a more adult Pokemon? Is it seen as hardcore there? How deeply has it pervaded Japanese pop culture?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Better context (for US; retail only)

Monster Hunter 3 first month - 126,000 (12 days tracked)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate first month - 120,000 - 125,000 (19 days tracked)

Shengar

That makes sense to a degree, having played the games... and helps explain why the multiplayer has been local co-op focused.

Does anyone know what the game's reputation is in Japan? Is it like a more adult Pokemon? Is it seen as hardcore there? How deeply has it pervaded Japanese pop culture?
If you read manga from 2008-2010 era, you'll see a ton reference to MH mostly shown by characters playing faux-PSP.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

In Tokyo there a even meetings for singles. The meet and play MonHun together.
Japanese MonHun player a usually pretty good.

L~A

Should also add that shippment have passed 3m, they aren't exactly at 3m. Of course, if they had passed another milestone (3.5m), they would've said so.

This game deserves worldwide success, it's so good.

I was stuck in a waiting room for close to four hours today and they just flew by thanks resource gathering and a couple of hunts. Good stuff.

Shengar

Would westernrs have bought MH4U as they bought Dragon's Dogms on PS360 and Monster Hunter on PS2 back then?
Eh, the market had changed and Dragon's Dogma beside being made by the same developer and fighting bunch of big monsters, doesn't have any similarity to MH at all. Though I agree that putting on console wouldn't change much, since the reason why MH bloom in Japan is the social aspect of it.

Deband

Would Capcom even bring a Monster Hunter game to 2 different manufacturers consoles in the same generation?

Eh, the market had changed and Dragon's Dogma beside being made by the same developer and fighting bunch of big monsters, doesn't have any similarity to MH at all. Though I agree that putting on console wouldn't change much, since the reason why MH bloom in Japan is the social aspect of it.

The market has changed: PS2 audience was more keen about Japanese games, indeed. Dragon's Dogma is different from MH, of course, but it really flopped over here; if PS360 audience would have really liked MH, than a Japanese fantasy action-game should have been more successful.

Their biggest mistake was 3ds only, especially if they wanted westerners to buy it.

Would the sales on other consoles even cover the costs it would take to port it? Monster Hunter would still be niche outside of Japan even if it was on PS4 and putting it on XBone would be even more of a waste of money since it'll garner almost 0 sales in Japan. Hell putting it on WiiU alongside the 3DS like 3Ultimate would probably have been their safest bet and they didnt even do that which shows that the money spent wouldnt be covered by a few more sales. Nintendo's support for Monster Hunter outside of Japan such as localization and advertising also takes some load of Capcom, which wouldn't happen without exclusivity.

Top Bottom