• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: over 3m units shipped WW (inc. digital sales)

redcrayon

Yeah I'm guessing the posters are too young to remember that being on the PS2 didn't do the series any favors in the West.

I think the argument against that is that the PS2 didn't have a large percentage of it's players signed up for an online multiplayer subscription. However, it's an argument that fails to take into account how much Capcom would have to invest in it first and their not-particularly-healthy financials. They are in risk-averse mode right now, so when monster hunter turns in millions of copies a year on portable hardware for little investment, it's hard to see who is going to suggest the dev team settles down to work on anything else. Not to mention the free marketing Nintendo throws in- that stuff is essential to sell monster hunter in the west and it isn't cheap.

Khrno

As an Asian I really do not understand why don't westerner like Monster Hunter.

I don't know man, I've tried on PSP, Wii and Wii U. But I just can't.

I do, however, like other "hunting" games, and the only reason I can think of why I like those certain games over MH is the controls.

qko

Game is amazing and is favorite 3ds game next to A Link Between Worlds but i would rather have 1080p/60fps, big screen and a confortble controller in my hands.

That's assuming Capcom could make it 1080p/60fps

Eusis

Yeah I'm guessing the posters are too young to remember that being on the PS2 didn't do the series any favors in the West.
I was old enough to have noticed yet it flew completely under my radar until Monster Hunter 2 was coming out. Which, naturally, did not hit NA though its rough portable equivalents did. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the story for a lot of people, and for those it isn't, well, it apparently is better forgotten anyway.

Which actually does make the Dragon's Dogma comparison seem apt, given that while that hit major consoles it was a new, unestablished IP that people were likely unsure of based on looks.

Top Bottom