• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Hey guys, any tips on good long swords for 3-4* missions? This is my first monster hunter game and I am kind of at a loss at what to look out for here.

I am currently using a level 1 Windeater (with full Ceanataur armor set) but have no clue if that weapon is actually any good. It is very hard for me to tell how much damage I am doing since there are no real HP or damage indicators/numbers in the game. I am mostly playing online as well so I have no reference on how much damage my character is doing.

I have an Iron Katana lvl 4 through 5* village. I am hoping to get the hidden sabre, but I need those Narga cutwings.

Are you breaking its wings? I needed some for a weapon last night, and didnt get any my first run on the HR2 quest, so I looked it up and it said I needed to break the wings, then I got 3 on the next one! yay.

Do they drop as shiny pickups, or if you break the wings, are they in the parts after the quest?

spiritfox

Yes, roughly a 1/3700 chance for that exact talisman from a worn charm according to gansimu

SF8MzIP.gif

CTLance

How do you get the owl down from its perch without any items? Is there a way to climb up to it, or do you just run around in circles until it notices you again? Also, just how many breakable parts does it have, FFS. Every other hit broke something, or at least it felt like it.

Finally made it to 4* Village. Man, so many gathering quests. Fuck doing that crap as a Hunter. I guess that's why they made prowler palicoes into gathering&capturing masters. Furry little fluffballs seem rather unbalanced even before the min/max boomerang cats. I mean, infinite stamina, sharpness, traps, healing, bombs, two bonus lives per cart, free tranqs, moderately quick access to invincibility. Hot diggity damn, nya. So what if they wear paper thin armour and sound like a frog/cat hybrid.

Out of the cover monster first encounter fights, the mammoth was kinda boring. I think even with the 3x HP boost I could have easily handled it with my HBG, but I really didn't feel like pelting a huge target with only the standard Lv1 shot for the 45 or so minutes it would have probably taken. Sure, you need to keep moving, but I never felt genuinely threatened. Was I just lucky, or is it just a huge lump of armour, HP, and Melee hunter squishification?

tuffy

How do you get the owl down from its perch without any items? Is there a way to climb up to it, or do you just run around in circles until it notices you again? Also, just how many breakable parts does it have, FFS. Every other hit broke something, or at least it felt like it.
I just shot him down, which was hilarious when he hit the ground in a big pile of feathers and rage. Not sure how else you're supposed to reach him, though.

Mupod

Full House 3 makes LBG a lot more fun, constantly swapping between ammo types. I'm really feeling the lack of power compared to a HBG though, so I'll carry on only using it on things critically weak to specific elements.

Finally got my Mizutsune plate after killing roughly 11 billion of them. Plan is to upgrade my water LBG and go after Glavenus for a Blademaster set. This water atk +10 3 slot charm should come in handy.

Looking at my options for SA - guess I should keep upgrading the Aksa Switch? SA was my 'village clear' weapon in this game but I grew to like it quite a bit. I have noticed a glaring lack of competent hammers and hunting horns online, though...I've gotten more KOs with crag shots than I've seen from randoms using hammers, which is insane. Might be time to come out of retirement.

Also am I crazy or is purple sharpness straight up gone?

Mupod

Purple is G-rank only.

Now I'm more confused, unless this game secretly has G rank and nobody told me. I remember getting it before G rank with Narga weapons in at least one game. Do you mean it's no longer in non-G games? Tri had purple sharpness but I can't remember if P3rd did, and I obviously never played vanilla MH4.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Finally got my Mizutsune plate after killing roughly 11 billion of them. Plan is to upgrade my water LBG and go after Glavenus for a Blademaster set. This water atk +10 3 slot charm should come in handy.

I didn't want to say it but I got a Plate in the one Mizu run you helped me with :D

spiritfox

Now I'm more confused, unless this game secretly has G rank and nobody told me. I remember getting it before G rank with Narga weapons in at least one game. Do you mean it's no longer in non-G games? Tri had purple sharpness but I can't remember if P3rd did, and I obviously never played vanilla MH4.

Sorry, I mean it's in G rank games only.

Mupod

I didn't want to say it but I got a Plate in the one Mizu run you helped me with :D

That's where I got mine. I'm not even gonna try for a water orb yet. Plates aren't super rare or anything especially in high rank. But there's always that one item.

Sorry, I mean it's in G rank games only.

Huh yeah I looked it up and that's how they've done it since P3rd. That game was a complete blur for me, I barely even bothered upgrading equipment it was so easy.

Generations is a weird case of its own either way though.

jonjonaug

That's where I got mine. I'm not even gonna try for a water orb yet. Plates aren't super rare or anything especially in high rank. But there's always that one item.
I got the orb the very first time I fought the HR version. From a shiny drop.

The RNG has been so generous to me with rare drops, it's insane. I have almost every plate and gem type item I can possibly have so far.

Ocho

For the guys that don't know, there's a Discord server we have been using to hunt daily. Link in OT, every one is welcome no matter if experienced or new.

ohlawd

For the guys that don't know, there's a Discord server we have been using to hunt daily. Link in OT, every one is welcome no matter if experienced or new.
y'all doing some HR Infinity shit. dunno if anyone's down to do some HR6 quests

ohlawd

You doing anything right now?
all day, errday

except in the next two hours or so cuz I got errands to run. honestly tho I might do keys first to get to HR7, do the HR7 prowler quest to unlock lvl 50 Palicos, then run back to HR6 and finish it up. already did the HR6 prowler and gathering quests yesterday night. Thanks Z, I think I know who you are but you never post :(

tuffy

I'll have to finish up my Narga S pieces later when I get back to my 3DS later this evening so I that I'll finally have a high rank set of something. It still needs some Arzuros parts because of course it does. But in the process I managed to kill Arzuros and his fuzzy corpse fell outside of the invisible zone wall so that I couldn't reach it to carve anything. Wasn't even near the zone exit, either. A frustrating end to a pretty short fight.

Fistwell

Anybody still on the silverwind train? I have a gaping hole at VII, got tons of tickets below and above. If anybody'd be up for it sometime tonight (I'm on CEST), it'd be greatly appreciated.

I could solo it, but I need 3 tickets, so it probably means twice w/ my luck, and that will take forever. Also, I've only got quests unlocked up to V. I might just end up doing it solo tho, been difficult to find just the right group online (meaning: doing the exact right quest, and being reasonably competent).

XaosWolf

I'm only HR3 but will be up for whatever hunts are going on in a couple hours.

And tomorrow I have all night to hunt stuff with my fellow GAFfers. =)

Pejo

Got about 90% of all the low rank Guild quests clear, as of last night, and dug into a few quests on HR 4* just to see how well I could do with my current gear. Damage was easily in the range that I can handle from the dromes and early monsters, so I know my current set should last until 5* at least, which is nice.

How long did you guys wear your Tier 3 armor sets? Into Tier 5? Could I feasibly get into the Tier 6 stuff without bringing my team down? It seems like upgrading is pretty effective in this version and doesn't put you significantly behind in defense.

I think I'm going to go back and work on some village quests after I power up my weapons a bit more. I don't want to get to the point that I'm just steamrolling them. Maybe I'll switch to a new weapon type and do that for village.

Mupod

I'll have to finish up my Narga S pieces later when I get back to my 3DS later this evening so I that I'll finally have a high rank set of something. It still needs some Arzuros parts because of course it does. But in the process I managed to kill Arzuros and his fuzzy corpse fell outside of the invisible zone wall so that I couldn't reach it to carve anything. Wasn't even near the zone exit, either. A frustrating end to a pretty short fight.

pardon the photobucket link I uploaded this years ago and I'm at work

teolava.jpg

MHFU, G rank Teo. I think this one was the third round - for those who don't know, elder dragons in the older games would flee and retain their hp between hunts if you didn't kill them in time. They had a LOT of hp.

But yeah I haven't had an uncarveable corpse in a very long time, at least. Sucks to hear it's still possible.

Cocaine_

Neo Member

teolava.jpg

MHFU, G rank Teo. I think this one was the third round - for those who don't know, elder dragons in the older games would flee and retain their hp between hunts if you didn't kill them in time. They had a LOT of hp.

But yeah I haven't had an uncarveable corpse in a very long time, at least. Sucks to hear it's still possible.

Oh my god I cried a little. Press F to pay respects.

F

tuffy

Ouch. We've all had moments where we'd try to wait for some monster to get out of the lava or hold off on killing one of the Mohrans too quickly, but I'd never expected to run into that problem in the Misty Peaks zone 2. That's why it stuck out so much.

Happened to me once when I was farming Wroggi in 3U. Such a pain.

teolava.jpg

I'm pouring one out for you, dog.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's no need. All the save data is on the SD card so it won't matter which one you use.

So I can buy digital and sell my physical copy with no issue? If that's the case, I'm going to do that because I have accidentally ejected the cart a few times in my pocket. Happened with 4U all the time, too.

tuffy

So I can buy digital and sell my physical copy with no issue? If that's the case, I'm going to do that because I have accidentally ejected the cart a few times in my pocket. Happened with 4U all the time, too.
Absolutely. There's a Save Data Transfer Tool on the eShop for moving cart saves over, but Generations makes a big deal about saves being on the SD card when you start it up so it shouldn't be needed in this case.

ChrisD

I made Malfestio's Armor Set last night and I'm still wondering why. I can't figure out where I'd ever use this, and I don't actually like the looks all that much so it won't even go onto my Guild Card.

Good thing I didn't go out of my way to make it lol.

Vuze

I've been switching between digital and cartridge constantly ever since MHX release and it never gave me any trouble. You'll be good!

PKrockin

I made Malfestio's Armor Set last night and I'm still wondering why. I can't figure out where I'd ever use this, and I don't actually like the looks all that much so it won't even go onto my Guild Card.

Good thing I didn't go out of my way to make it lol.
Well it at least has a useful skill in Capture Guru.

redcrayon

Had my first ever encounter with Plesioth as I soloed my way into HR5. "Oh, so that's the hip check everyone's been talking about for years" :D

Hell of a scrap- at one point there was me, my two cats, two boars, a royal Ludroth and Plesioth all piling into each other!

The quest says he likes frogs- is it like Gobul where you can fish him out by the riverside? I tried it but he charged out and attacked me, not that I blame him.

Mupod

Had my first ever encounter with Plesioth as I soloed my way into HR5. "Oh, so that's the hip check everyone's been talking about for years" :D

Hell of a scrap- at one point there was me, my two cats, two boars, a royal Ludroth and Plesioth all piling into each other!

The quest says he likes frogs- is it like Gobul where you can fish him out by the riverside? I tried it but he charged out and attacked me, not that I blame him.

It's like Gobul, or rather Gobul is like Plesioth. He needs to have not noticed you. It's kind of difficult in this game because he jumps out almost immediately.

Also the hipcheck isn't what it used to be, thank god...I'm sure you could find a video of it since it was so infamous. But yeah it would hit you on the opposite side, under his tail, basically anywhere in its vicinity. His swim attack was awful too, I was narrowly missed by it the other day and my brain was momentarily confused when I didn't get hit.

ChrisD

Well it at least has a useful skill in Capture Guru.

...Maybe HR does. LR's just has Negate Sleep and Tenderizer. :c

Negate Sleep would be super handy if Gravios was still in because boy did I hate his sleep powder, but I'm really scratching my head trying to think of anyone in Generations that uses sleep moves often.
Tenderizer would be cool if Rathalos didn't also carry the Skill.

Hybris

...Maybe HR does. LR's just has Negate Sleep and Tenderizer. :c

Negate Sleep would be super handy if Gravios was still in because boy did I hate his sleep powder, but I'm really scratching my head trying to think of anyone in Generations that uses sleep moves often.
Tenderizer would be cool if Rathalos didn't also carry the Skill.

Malfestio, urugaan, Plessy are the only ones I can think of atm.

Top Bottom