• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 2 first week japanese sales prediction thread.

cvxfreak said:
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd sold over 500K on its first day of availability. Sinobi compares it to Biohazard and Biohazard 2, in which the second is destined to far surpass the first.

same fate Brain Training had

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
It could be true...the best starts (from Famitsu) are:

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker (Square-Enix, DS) - 633,084
Final Fantasy III (Square-Enix, DS) - 501,701
Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Ruka no Tabadachi (Square-Enix, GBC) - 501,081

No more titles above 500k from 3rd parties that I saw....
What was DQM Joker's first day sales? I know FF3's was about ~350k. I think MHP2 will just eke over 700k first week now. Which is ****ing impressive.

It's not a port actually, unless you want to call every Monster Hunter game after the first one a port. It has new town and adds monsters and items.

And 500k on first day? WOAH!

Mr. Pointy said:
What was DQM Joker's first day sales? I know FF3's was about ~350k. I think MHP2 will just eke over 700k first week now. Which is ****ing impressive.
I think it was 430.000, but that was half the units they shipped (~900.000), ending in 630.000 for the week.

We didn't get shipped this time so we don't know if MHP2 has some stock to sell in the weekend, maybe they shipped 550k and it doesn't get a restock until next week. Maybe it got a 800k shipment and it surpasses DQMJ. Pretty difficult to say right now.

Nevermind, just saw in neoplay the usual figures. I don't know if MHP2 is 500k with or without the 15k bundles. I'll take it as with them.

PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2nd - 500.000 (77%)
PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2nd Bundle - 15.000 (74%)

So that means around 650k normal MHP2 plus 20k bundles already shipped.

Defuser

cank stoochie said:
lol. i wonder what the lines will be like when dq ix drops
shibuya-3-large.jpg

Mook1e

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Nevermind, just saw in neoplay the usual figures. I don't know if MHP2 is 500k with or without the 15k bundles. I'll take it as with them.

PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2nd - 500.000 (77%)
PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2nd Bundle - 15.000 (74%)

So that means around 650k normal MHP2 plus 20k bundles already shipped.

Undershipped, apparently.
Of course, tomorrow could see demand dry up in addition to the supply.

sphinx

the piano man
It's nice if MPH2 holds the highest 1st week record for some time. Dragon quest will sure destroy it, though.

sphinx

the piano man
I have to congratulate Johnnyram for his prediction skills.

It has been reported that the game sold ~700k. I think we will get semi-official numbers tonight.

judging by everybody else's prediction, the game surprised more than one gaffer.

cool.

Yeah, Johnny was spot on.

Now I'm really curious to see if he's equally spon on with hardware, now that would be quite a feat for the PSP. :p

sphinx

the piano man
So it's now official:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/768/768254p1.html

Record Sales for Monster Hunter
Sequel exceeds expectations overseas.

by Anoop Gantayat

February 27, 2007 - Anyone who keeps track of the Japanese games market knows how big Capcom's Monster Hunter series is over there. For a reminder, we turn to the latest weekly sales report from Mainichi Interactive. According to the Japanese site, Monster Hunter Portable 2nd sold 700,000 units in its first week following release on 2/15.

Needless to say, this is a record first week for a PSP game. In fact, these sales could make Monster Hunter Portable 2nd the best selling PSP title to date in its home territory.

The site also reports that PSP hardware performed favorably over the week. However, while Sony released a gold-colored system to commemorate the game's release, the most popular colors were the previously released blue and silver units.

Ceb

I wonder what MHP2 cost to develop. Come on Capcom, waste some of that profit on more MMPUs and MHXs. :D

The series has always been very popular, but nothing like this.

This sets like, three records, right?

1.) Best first week for a PSP game.
2.) Best first week for a handheld (Edit: 3rd party, sorry) game.
3.) Best first week for any Capcom game to date (Am I wrong?).

Chris_C

distantmantra said:
Damn, would a new Monster Hunter on the PS3 help out, or is this more about the portability of the game?

There's already a MHP game in production for PS3. I've been eyeing the PSP games for a while but no online play is a deal breaker. I'll definitely pick it up if it comes to the PS3 with online play.

Chris_C said:
There's already a MHP game in production for PS3. I've been eyeing the PSP games for a while but no online play is a deal breaker. I'll definitely pick it up if it comes to the PS3 with online play.

I really enjoyed the first one on the PS2, I'd definitely buy it for the PS3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
KTallguy said:
Haha, you think that's crowded??? That's fricking Hachiko! People are usually shoulder to shoulder!
Yeah, that looks pretty normal to me (though it was always very empty in the mornings on the way to school). I sure do miss that place, though...

jarrod

Banned
typhonsentra said:
1.) Best first week for a PSP game.
*insert special olympics reference*

typhonsentra said:
2.) Best first week for a handheld (Edit: 3rd party, sorry) game.
*insert inevitability of Dragon Quest XI reference*

typhonsentra said:
3.) Best first week for any Capcom game to date (Am I wrong?).
*insert Biohazard 2 reference*

Chris_C said:
Agreed, if they'd lowered the PSP price point to $150-$170 USD at the release of MHP2, coulda sold even more units... Mmmm... units...

Actually, I think the price of the PSP in Japan is like 20,000 yen, which is $170.

Still, Sony has to figure out why Monster Hunter Portable sells so well, and basically everything else, doesn't. Especially Sony's own stuff - most of their own games only hit the 100,000 mark, if that. (I think Minna No Golf came close 500,000, but everything else is under 200,000 for them).

Chris_C

trancejeremy said:
Actually, I think the price of the PSP in Japan is like 20,000 yen, which is $170.

Still, Sony has to figure out why Monster Hunter Portable sells so well, and basically everything else, doesn't. Especially Sony's own stuff - most of their own games only hit the 100,000 mark, if that. (I think Minna No Golf came close 500,000, but everything else is under 200,000 for them).

I was wondering today why it is that Sony's Western development studios are pretty much at the top of or nearly at the top of the pile in every department, but their Japanese studios seem to struggle to find the pulse of the Japanese gaming market. Phil does a great job with the western studios, but whoever his liaison in the East is needs to get with the program. I think perhaps more experimental projects are the way to go, they could do some interesting things with voice and image recognition on the PS3.

bigswords

I hope this game has online WIFI (with friends or random people), man that was the only thing the first MHF was missing.

Monster Hunter Freedom is awesome, certain missions could take 30-45 minutes (killing a huge overpowered monster with lower lvl equipment) or just 5 minutes (grinding resources to make amour/weapons).

But if I remembered correctly MHF did not received a good review score yea?

jarrod said:

*insert jarrod unable to handle the slightest decent news for PSP reference- Followed by numerous reasons why 3rd parties should have given up on the PSP ages ago* :)

Steroyd

I was actually hoping that Dragon Quest XI would be on a home console total disappointment, meanwhile Dragon IX is going to get released on the DS should be interesting to see saleswise.

Kenka

DS am doomed ?

Next week (easy) prevision :

1) Monster Hunter Portable 2
2) Fire Emblem : Goddess of Dawn
3) Professor Layton
4) Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX
5) Sim City ?

bud

DemDereNads said:
*insert jarrod unable to handle the slightest decent news for PSP reference- Followed by numerous reasons why 3rd parties should have given up on the PSP ages ago* :)

But jarrod is the guy (?) who said that GT without the license would lose all its appeal, yet he didn't feel the same way about mario

lol

jarrod

Banned
DemDereNads said:
It's fine really, every dog gets it's day. It's nice that PSP's finally got it's SSBM. :D

Your delivery could use some work though.

bud said:
But jarrod is the guy (?) who said that GT without the license would lose all its appeal, yet he didn't feel the same way about mario

lol
???

So what real world licenses is Mario carrying to draw in casuals?

Brofist

jarrod said:

your shtick is getting pretty tired, and I'm starting to wonder what the difference between the trolls who get banned on a daily basis and you is. We get it, Nintendo wins yadda yadda..so please shut the **** up already

ram

bigswords said:
I hope this game has online WIFI (with friends or random people), man that was the only thing the first MHF was missing.

it has not and will not have for the european version too:

THE INTERNATIONAL PHENOMENON CONTINUES AS CAPCOM ANNOUNCES MONSTER HUNTER FREEDOM 2 FOR THE PSP® (PLAYSTATION®PORTABLE) SYSTEM

Sequel to the Most Popular PSP Game in Japan Comes to PAL territories

LONDON, England — Feb. 28, 2007 ¾ Capcom®, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced Monster Hunter Freedom 2 for the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system. Monster Hunter has quickly become one of the most remarkable and successful series for Capcom, with sales in excess of 2.4 million units worldwide. Capcom’s previously released Monster Hunter Portable was a runaway hit, becoming Japan’s top selling title for the PSP system, with an attach rate of about one game sold for every five systems in the country. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd has just released in Japan and is already well on its way to surpassing the previous title with remarkable initial shipment numbers. Capcom plans to release this game as Monster Hunter Freedom 2 across PAL territories in September 2007.

The non-stop epic hunt-or-be-hunted adventure continues with more content and options than ever before. Monster Hunter Freedom 2 builds on Monster Hunter2 (Dos) for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system (previously released in Japan only) and contains 50% more content than the original Monster Hunter Freedom. In this unique action-adventure game, gamers increase their play skills as they battle through breath-taking environments while defeating bloodthirsty creatures.

Players can face a variety of quests alone, but the true spirit of the game comes from playing with others. Multiplayer cooperative battles for up to four friends via wireless ad hoc mode foster team building and strategy for the ultimate battle of man vs. beast. Players can fully customize their characters, building up their abilities with armour and weaponry as they make their way through hundreds of quests. With the addition of infrastructure functionality, players will now be able to download even more content and quests.

jarrod

Banned
kpop100 said:
your shtick is getting pretty tired, and I'm starting to wonder what the difference between the trolls who get banned on a daily basis and you is.
I'm... uh... like drohne?

bud said:
gt is a ps exclusive :(
What's that have to do with Mario?

If you remember back to my GT argument, I used Nintendogs as the Nintendo equivalent ... which would also lose it's core appeal without real world dogs, same at GT without the licenses.

Mook1e

Jarrod loves spraying warm piss on every PSP parade.
Rain just doesn't burn inside the wounds enough. :lol :|

Really though, don't you ever get tired of being a poor
prick
stealth-troll?

bud

jarrod said:
What's that have to do with Mario?

If you remember back to my GT argument, I used Nintendogs as the Nintendo equivalent ... which would also lose it's core appeal without real world dogs, same at GT without the licenses.

same with mario games without mario

rite?

jarrod

Banned
bud said:
same with mario games without mario

rite?
Er... so the core appeal of Mario games is... Mario? People just play them to play with Mario?

MickeyKnox said:
This thread is for the pure awesomeness that is Monster Hunter.
But for true Monster Hunter awesomness, I thought you'd need online play. :p

I really do wonder... will 3rd parties start making even more games than they already are now for the PSP after looking at MH2's sales? I know Capcom will.

Doctor_No

Chris Michael said:
I really do wonder... will 3rd parties start making even more games than they already are now for the PSP after looking at MH2's sales? I know Capcom will.

I think that there are games that are well suited for the DS, and games that are well suited for the PSP (which is the case with Monster Hunter-series). This whole console wars thing is unnecessary, really, we should all be hoping for games that take full advantage of each platform's unique attributes to its fullest.

BTW:
Here are developers at CC2 playing MH portable 2nd. (developers of the Naruto, .Hack games)

2007_02_26_01.jpg

2007_02_26_02.jpg

2007_02_26_03.jpg

2007_02_26_04.jpg

2007_02_26_05.jpg

Top Bottom