• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories |OT| Pi-Khezu, I Choose You!

Lanrutcon

I just reached postgame and im not sure what i should be focusing on. The game throws even more at you. Should i be doing sidequests? Tower? Maze? High rank dens? Im lvl 50 and tried the maze and got worked.

Secure 3 or 4 monsties you want to use in the long term.

Do you have kitty tickets? Pop a training charm (or training charm+ if you have it) and hit the tower. Clear the first 5 floors, use a ticket, repeat until the training charm wears off. The 5th floor is always a High Rank Felyne (worth 50k xp without a charm). Use this to grind some levels.

Once you've got your monsties in the 60ies, the world is your oyster.

Currently prepping my crew for the final 10 levels of the tower, and then on to the final Elder Dragon of the game.

Ridley327

I'll say this much: they definitely did a great job of accurately simulating the experience of fighting Black Gravios in a turn-based setting.

HEAT BEAM HEAT BEAM HEAT BEAM HEAT BEAM HEAT BEAM HEAT BEAM

Lorcain

As a MH fan I'm really having a great time with this. It's a melding of game systems that I really enjoy wrapped in MH lore, world building and charm. The production values are great too.

I like games that don't have difficulty gates preventing players from getting appropriately wrecked if they wander off in the wrong direction. I was eager to take on a sleeping pink ratheon I discovered early in the game that smacked me down so fast I didn't even have time to do anything. This game has all the right hooks: turn-based combat, creature collecting with rarity, fusions (so to speak), and all of the good MH creatures, challenge and lore. Art style is great too.

Pejo

Are all the monsties viable towards endgame, or do I have to give up my awesome Blue Kut-ku eventually if I want to compete?

I just put some time into this game over the weekend and holy shit I love it. It's a mesh of some of my favorite genres. I wish the battle system was a little more involved, but it's basic and deep enough to not get super stale.

One question, I read in the OP about doing combos, and I've gotten the prompts myself a few times, but I can't figure out how you get them. Is it just random? Also, do we only get 4 weapon types?

tuffy

Are all the monsties viable towards endgame, or do I have to give up my awesome Blue Kut-ku eventually if I want to compete?
Monsties have different stat growths and the higher rarity monsties seem to get better at the endgame judging by the charts on Kiranico, but you may be able to mitigate that somewhat with good gene mixing.
One question, I read in the OP about doing combos, and I've gotten the prompts myself a few times, but I can't figure out how you get them. Is it just random? Also, do we only get 4 weapon types?
Combos play out by doing attacks in a certain order over three turns. Like if you're using a Sword & Shield type weapon, doing three "Speed" attacks in a row results in a combo that does more damage on the third turn. So sometimes you'll be forced to tradeoff between finishing a combo or doing an attack that might be a better counter to what the monster is doing. The pictures in the OP or in the game's Hunter Notes tell what the weapon combos are.

And yes, there's only 4 weapon types in the game.

twelver

I just put some time into this game over the weekend and holy shit I love it. It's a mesh of some of my favorite genres. I wish the battle system was a little more involved, but it's basic and deep enough to not get super stale.

I was only aware of 3 weapon types: gs, ss, and hh.

Combos arent random. You just need to learn what they are because they are different for each weapon. I think you can read the combos for each weapon type in the menu. Just input them in the correct order each turn.

Unicorn

I'll say this much: they definitely did a great job of accurately simulating the experience of fighting Black Gravios in a turn-based setting.

HEAT BEAM HEAT BEAM HEAT BEAM HEAT BEAM HEAT BEAM HEAT BEAM
Hahahahaha yoshi just fought him last night and I was like... Uh, when do I get to go HtH? Definitely accurate to my memory of main game.

Pejo

Monsties have different stat growths and the higher rarity monsties seem to get better at the endgame judging by the charts on Kiranico, but you may be able to mitigate that somewhat with good gene mixing.

Combos play out by doing attacks in a certain order over three turns. Like if you're using a Sword & Shield type weapon, doing three "Speed" attacks in a row results in a combo that does more damage on the third turn. So sometimes you'll be forced to tradeoff between finishing a combo or doing an attack that might be a better counter to what the monster is doing. The pictures in the OP or in the game's Hunter Notes tell what the weapon combos are.

And yes, there's only 4 weapon types in the game.

Thanks! That explains it then. I've only ever gotten the speed combo and it was when I was fighting hermitaurs or other things where I spam the speed attack.

I was only aware of 3 weapon types: gs, ss, and hh.

Combos arent random. You just need to learn what they are because they are different for each weapon. I think you can read the combos for each weapon type in the menu. Just input them in the correct order each turn.

I think there's Greatsword, SnS, Hammer, and Hunting Horn. Bummed that IG or SA weren't in, but SnS has treated me well so far.

This is a really good game.

I wasn't going to purchase it just yet because the next RPG I wanted to dive into was Etrian Odyssey V, but I couldn't resist.

I was already sold from playing the demo.

It reminds me of when I played Dragon Quest 9 years ago. That same kind of fun. Put in a ton of hours into that and I should be doing the same here.

closer013

I went to a convention this weekend and a vendor had the Monster Hunter Stories Sofubi figures and I grabbed a Rathian, Rathalos, Nargacuga and Tigrex. They are so cool and look like they are right out of the game.

JC Sera

I'm so happy we're getting the Zelda DLC! I love
Kirins
overworld ride animation and pace, but its just too squishy for my tastes ;-;
Hopefully Epona has the same animations

Re:Tower
Still Stuck at Double kirin, I manages to kill one and get the other down to 20%
health twice, but then I died.

I've made it so my hunters gear is right for the job; Max Khezu Armor (6 THunder Res, Negate Para & Thunder Res (L) ) + Iron wall talisman + water DLC S&S,
but my monsties keep dying. I think I need to "breed" a special monstie just for this boss.

Salsa

came back to this right after finishing Metroid Samus Returns and actually died at a boss battle

that coupled with the game really opening up is making me appreciate it a lot more than my initial reaction

Unicorn

came back to this right after finishing Metroid Samus Returns and actually died at a boss battle

that coupled with the game really opening up is making me appreciate it a lot more than my initial reaction

ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US

Also, all these goddamn deviljho pickle jokes are amazing. I've been screencapping them as I see them.

Doombear

Can anyone tell me how many save slots you get on the physical version?

EDIT: Wow, nevermind. I was completely confusing it for another game. Been juggling a few lately and swore this had 3 slots. Turns out, one. So if physical does have more than that... awesome.

Salsa

oh man still early on and decided to use the Training+ charm I got through QR code and immediately ran into a felyne barrel
WjJf2Jb.jpg
lol

Unicorn

Yo randomly went back to snow area and saw a rare cave. Grabbed a really heavy egg that smelled eggy. Grabbed another couple eggs from other dens before hatching.

HOLY SHIT GOT A PICKLE!

8 out of 9 slots. Attack up bingo (and anything bingo) and there were like 3 or 4 that had a secondary of max HP up along with another passive and active abilities. Fucking hit the goddamn jackpot. 8 star rarity, so I can't even use it yet - kind of stuck on where to go in story missions - cleansing Kinship ore and hit up the first 2 after a certain fight. Haven't seen any quest markers ,but thank the felyne gods because this Deviljho is god-tier.

hutna

EDIT: Wow, nevermind. I was completely confusing it for another game. Been juggling a few lately and swore this had 3 slots. Turns out, one. So if physical does have more than that... awesome.

Thanks. Why do games like this ship with only one save slot? Well now I have to wait until I can get the game for around $20 or less because I have to buy two copies.

JC Sera

Thanks. Why do games like this ship with only one save slot? Well now I have to wait until I can get the game for around $20 or less because I have to buy two copies.
I think its to do with online features and its easier for them to code
Technically you can have multiple saves with this game tho, it works more like a console game, the save file is not saved to the cartridge but to the SD card. So if you really want to get fiddly you can have two SD cards with different saves.

Zaventem

70 hours in this game is amazing. I can't believe one reviewer wrote the game off as solely being rock/paper/scissors. It's probably too late to add some postive changes with Pokemon Ultra coming right around the corner but some of the ways Stories manages multiple party sets and items i hope the pokemon company takes notice even if they don't have much competition sitting at the top.

hutna

I think its to do with online features and its easier for them to code
Technically you can have multiple saves with this game tho, it works more like a console game, the save file is not saved to the cartridge but to the SD card. So if you really want to get fiddly you can have two SD cards with different saves.

Oh ok. If we can share one cart and play our own single player save (we don't care about the online features), I'll just pick it up next time I'm out.

JC Sera

70 hours in this game is amazing. I can't believe one reviewer wrote the game off as solely being rock/paper/scissors. It's probably too late to add some postive changes with Pokemon Ultra coming right around the corner but some of the ways Stories manages multiple party sets and items i hope the pokemon company takes notice even if they don't have much competition sitting at the top.
this game has literally spoiled pokemon for me ;-;
like if I lose a battle its not reset the game because obviously I was the wrong level and shouldnt have attempted
It was because I wasnt using the right gear, monstie and maybe not utilizing gene & combos to my best ability.

I finally beat the
Double Kirin
in the tower, and I dont ever remember being this satisfied with a victory in a pokemon game, because the answer to defeat was always: grind more.
Oh ok. If we can share one cart and play our own single player save (we don't care about the online features), I'll just pick it up next time I'm out.
Its worth checking out online play, its super fun! Having multiple saves wont stop you from being able to play online I think its more it would be harder to code multiple saves to one game + intergrate the multiplayer.

nluckett

Just had to come in and gush about this game.

I own 3 normal Monster Hunter games and never got more than a few hours into any of them. You know the story; complex, deep, overwhelming, etc.

This game fixes all of that and has me hooked. Ive put in 20 hours and dont see myself stopping anytime soon. I rarely play a game that long. Game is good at easing you into all the systems and Im starting to see the depth you need to take down the big bads.

In a lot of ways this feels like Breath of the Wild, if BotW was more focused on mounts and the armor crafting applied to crazy ass weapons as well. They also did something I really thought Nintendo was going to pull off in BotW but didnt... flight. Before Zelda game out I was sure you were gonna be able to fly a loftwing around a some point. Nope. But this game lets you have pretty free range of flight.

Obvi this isnt a huge open world, but the world does feel pretty massive and all the warp points are great. The visuals are fantastic. I finally see the appeal of the MH art style. I think simplifying the elements made this the best looking MH for me. If they have a Switch sequel that looks like the intro movie...

Only complaint so far is that the music is pretty grating and cliche. I turned it off after about 15 hours and am enjoying just the sparse sound effects.

Actual story is charming but whatever. It's fun to find the new towns, meet a few oddballs and mostly find new monsties. Someone else said it above, this is better than Pokemon for me. Well, I also thought Yokai Watch, in all but the actual battles, was way better than pokemon. Anyway...

Heard sales werent great for this, but it seems like Capcom is going to be branching this franchise out more, so now Im down. Maybe the PS4 game will get me into the traditional version.

Unicorn

The meta and team combination options alone blow pokemon up.

My head is spinning with possible team compositions.

We should try and get a GAF tourney set up a month or so from now.

This page has been super helpful:
https://mhst.kiranico.com/gene

I've been sorting through my monsties tonight after getting this rockin' Deviljho and trying to puzzle together and plan for the future of this beast. Trying to figure out how to round out resistances while also building a good movepool... all while min-maxing Bingo bonuses. And the genius of the gene pool has really made planning way more engaging and fun to solve from a min-max perspective in a way exponentially better than anything in Pokemon. Daisychaining breeding or even cross-gen transferring for game-specific moves was fucking horrendous and time consuming in pokemon. And that's not even getting into the inherent trash of IVs or the (now-mitigated) EV training.

Lanrutcon

New Molten Tigrex is out!

- The fight is pretty hard. Thing gets 3 attacks a round when enraged.
- You always get a Molten Tigrex egg from the quest.
- Molten Tigrex armor is fucking badass.
- Molten Tigrex's signature gene allows for an AOE fire attack that inflicts blast.

Just beat the game yesterday. Overall, I like this game. I needed something to get away from Pokémon for this year, and this game helped fill that itch since I’m a MH fan. It’s a shame that this spin-off won’t catch on due to the odds it had stacked against it (a week before Samus Returns, 3DS is having less focus as time goes on, World is on the way, etc). As someone who went for subquests with recipes/skills, it did have a few moments where it got a little too difficult against certain monsters (counterattacks/2-3 attacks in a row are a pain).

I’ll likely keep on playing for the DLC and until Super Mario Odyssey comes out.

JC Sera

New Molten Tigrex is out!

- The fight is pretty hard. Thing gets 3 attacks a round when enraged.
- You always get a Molten Tigrex egg from the quest.
- Molten Tigrex armor is fucking badass.
- Molten Tigrex's signature gene allows for an AOE fire attack that inflicts blast.
Gene is dragon typed. Also decreases crit for some reason

tips:
Speed Res or Speed Seal + Water attacks are a must
Molten spams dash combo (Speed) 3-4 in a row can OH-KO
if you have blastblight on you, Molten will use Blastblight chaser (Power)

When you defeat molten don't be afraid to go through the eggs, all of the except for one was quite smelly for me, except the last one which had Navirous highest smell reaction. So even if it seems like the eggs are homogenous, they aren't.

tuffy

I haven't started this game yet but how do I download the Zelda DLC?
There's a downloads option right off the main menu for DLC, QR codes, amiibos, etc. Once downloaded, some of the new stuff will show up on the DLC part of the quests board in the game.

nubbe

finally beat the game
the ending was so fucking anime that my brain exploded

enjoyed every minute of the 55 hours it took.

ilium

M.Tigrex was brakfast for my Deviljho, but my pickle is ridiculous and built against blast anyway

Found some rough numbers on gamefaqs in case anyone is curious (there's a bit more at the link)

Gene | Damage | Damage Increased
None 500 0,00%
Dancer 610 22,00%
Salt in the Wound 610 22,00%
Fireboost M 550 10,00%
All-Elem.-Boost M 510 2,00%
All-Elem.-Boost L 516 3,20%
SpeedBoost L 526 5,20%
Fortify (1Heart) 591 18,20%
Quickfire 635 27,00%
Latent-Fire 532 6,40%
Might L 533 6,60%
Firescale 580 16,00%
DragonAura 523 4,60%

Fire-Bingo 743 48,60%
Speed-Bingo 750 50,00%
Fire+Speed Bingo 1047 109,40%

Cheer 583 16,60%
Inspire 636 27,20%
DeamonDrug 636 27,20%

Lanrutcon

M.Tigrex was brakfast for my Deviljho, but my pickle is ridiculous and built against blast anyway

Found some rough numbers on gamefaqs in case anyone is curious

Gene | Damage | Damage Increased
None 500 0,00%
Dancer 610 22,00%
Salt in the Wound 610 22,00%
Fireboost M 550 10,00%
All-Elem.-Boost M 510 2,00%
All-Elem.-Boost L 516 3,20%
SpeedBoost L 526 5,20%
Fortify (1Heart) 591 18,20%
Quickfire 635 27,00%
Latent-Fire 532 6,40%
Might L 533 6,60%
Firescale 580 16,00%
DragonAura 523 4,60%

Fire-Bingo 743 48,60%
Speed-Bingo 750 50,00%
Fire+Speed Bingo 1047 109,40%

Cheer 583 16,60%
Inspire 636 27,20%
DeamonDrug 636 27,20%

hmmm...makes me re-evaluate Dancer, Quick <X> and Salt in the Wound.

Open for some Zelda PVP win trading to get the sword (EU times):

2766-8409-2693

Unicorn

Salt in the Wound is just too good for a team based around afflicting status though. At least, I've started planning around it. Of course, I'm sure there's plenty immunity mixed into PvP. I ain't there yet - holy shit this main story is long!

Forward

Target has this for $29.99.

I had to check in here, to see what its regular going rate was.

I'm going back to Target. :)

Hit the 20 hour mark last night and I don't feel like I've even made it to tha halfway point . Really enjoying this. Glad it was brought westward.

Unicorn

Hit the 20 hour mark last night and I don't feel like I've even made it to tha halfway point . Really enjoying this. Glad it was brought westward.
I'm at 42 hours and feel about 3/4 through the story. After the story there's a lot of post-game to do with challenge tower, tournaments, and a dungeon/labyrinth (I think?)

Top Bottom