• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories | Review Thread |

Ridley327

Could be misremembering, but I thought J-GAF was really down on this one, both fans of MH and jRPG's.

I don't think many people imported it to begin with. Impressions of the game have been really hard to come by in English prior to the localization.

The demo is certainly rather nice, and as far as the Monster Hunter aspect is concerned, Capcom already has done a great job with using the IP to the point where despite the younger audience focus, it's perfectly in-line with the mainline titles in terms of how the monsters themselves are depicted.

I still need to play the demo to get a feel for it, but still very interested. Hopefully that patch gets brought over here for everyone as well.

best thing is that if you play the demo, once you buy the full game, your progress carries over

Voror

best thing is that if you play the demo, once you buy the full game, your progress carries over

I saw that which is definitely nice. I like that sort of thing when I've seen it before like with the Bravely Series demos, though that was more just bonuses than just straight up carrying over.

Going to be weird to be playing the 3DS again. Haven't done so in a while.

Monster Hunter Stories for 3DS

A large content demo is already available on the eShop where your save data/progress is transferable to the full game.

Thanks for posting! The OT will be up first thing tomorrow morning and I'll post a link in this thread too.

Could be misremembering, but I thought J-GAF was really down on this one, both fans of MH and jRPG's.
You're misremembering I think. More like it didn't get that many imports to begin with, but those of us who did import it generally liked it from what I've seen.

It also has a 4.2/5 on Amazon JP ATM, which suggests that it didn't significantly piss off otaku. Sadly, knowing whether or not it pissed off otaku is the only thing Amazon JP scores are good for and have little to do with the actual quality of the game.

kubus

Here's my review! It's a Dutch website though. I was part of Import-GAF for this game and absolutely loved it when I beat it back then (took me about 44 hours). I also beat the English localization (which is really good btw) for review, this time it took about 35 hours. Still loved it.

Gamer.nl (Dutch)

8.5 / 10

(Translation) "Monster Hunter Stories is both a fantastic side-adventure for fans of the series and a great entry point for newcomers, but also holds its own as a standalone rpg. The story is nice and the gameplay fun, and sometimes that's all it takes to just make a great game."

Eusis

I really liked the demo, but between Ys VIII and Metroid SR I'll wait on this. Will make a good excuse to resub to Gamers Club Unlocked though.

Only got my review copy on Monday which is hardly enough time to play through a JRPG but I'll try and get my thoughts out by Sunday. I like it a lot but it can be a tad too simple for its own good.

LOL, didn't expect to see my tweet in here.

Anyway, I got the game yesterday so feel free to ask me stuff I guess. :p

Do you know if what the Amiibo give you in the US version is the same as the Japanese version?

Do all the Monster Hunter Amiibo give the same "Amiibo Egg"? Is there anything unique about any of the 6?

Do you know if what the Amiibo give you in the US version is the same as the Japanese version?

Do all the Monster Hunter Amiibo give the same "Amiibo Egg"? Is there anything unique about any of the 6?
Each of the six eggs is a unique monster. The one represented in the amiibo. Navirous is the aptonoth? I think it's called. Idk Monster Hunter very well.
All same as JP.

ggx2ac

A new review popped up.

Game Informer

8/10

Sep 7, 2017

Series fans might be put off by Monster Hunter Stories’ simplified combat, but I enjoyed the opportunity to pilot some of my favorite creatures from the franchise on the other side of the blade. Fans of turn-based JRPG fare, newcomers to the franchise, and younger gamers have more to enjoy here – to explore and engage with the Monster Hunter universe without having to enter through a less accessible door. Monster Hunter Stories is a warm and welcoming trek that’s only brought down by stale and repetitive combat. Despite its shortcomings, there’s still a neat egg to crack here.

Is this gonna get an OT?

Go to post #60 of this thread.

Lanrutcon

Grabbed my copy off the store at 3am this morning:

- Demo saves import 100%
- You get a free outfit for having played the demo
- Buying digital gives you 4 weird eggs, but I haven't received them yet because I think I'm too early in the game
- Second area is
snow! [A WILD LAGOMBI APPEARS: FIGHT/RUN?]

ggx2ac

Metacritic/Opencritic scores went down.

More reviews:

M3

Percy Oropeza

5 / 10 (3DS)

Monster Hunter Stories is a descent Pokémon knock off for fans of the genre, but it lacks good story telling and the mechanics is hard to get used to.

Trusted Reviews

7/10

Sep 7, 2017

Monster Hunter Stories is a delightful little JRPG that makes a big splash with its adorable visuals and addictive battle system. Performance problems aside, this is a great introduction to Capcom’s beloved franchise.

Lanrutcon

So...is there any value in swapping friend codes for this? Can we fight each other's monsties or something?

Lanrutcon

There's local/online multiplayer where you can battle each other.

I can't remember if that's all the multiplayer features.

Ah, pvp. I'll see if I get into that. From what I've gathered, certain monsters are just inherently more powerful than others (stat growth wise). I think pvp would just come down to endgame gene-spliced powerhouses duking it out.

ggx2ac

Opencritic score has went down.

New review:

Wccftech

Dave Aubrey

6.0 / 10.0

Amazing art style, tedious battle system and a difficulty that's aimed at young children - not one for Monster Hunter fans, but maybe their kids. If they like Rock, Paper, Scissors, that is.

ggx2ac

Metacritic score went down.

New Reviews:

IGN

Casey DeFreitas

8.9 / 10.0 (3DS)

I absolutely thoroughly enjoyed my more than 50 hours with Monster Hunter Stories so far. It effectively eliminates the oh-so-common boring RPG grind, implements a novel turn-based battle system, and sincerely surprises me with seemingly limitless customizability. Though wrapped in a pleasant, sugary coating, Monster Hunter Stories did all of this while retaining the spirit of the Monster Hunter world with some small yet enjoyable nods to fans. I can't wait to dive back into the endgame and hatch myself a Kirin.

SpazioGames

7.5/10

It's far too easy and its combat system seems to be too dumbed down, but we've had a great time with Monster Hunter Stories nonetheless. We can't stop farming eggs and monsters, and we're doing it well after the campaign was over.

ggx2ac

Metacritic score went up despite more lower scored reviews.

4Players.de

6/10

Sep 8, 2017

The change from hunting to taming takes a little time to get used to as well as the change from monumental realtime fighting to turn based flashtactics. At least the game world is more open and the exploration is diverse. Nonetheless I hope that Monster Hunter World will inject the franchise with badly needed fresh life.

Pocket Gamer UK

7/10

Sep 8, 2017

There's plenty here to like if you're a fan of Monster Hunter or Pokemon, but ultimately this hybrid is less than the sum of its parts and is difficult to recommend over core games in either franchise.

ggx2ac

More reviews:

Vooks

8/10

Sep 8, 2017

Monster Hunter Stories is a great new addition to the monster-collection genre, boasting unique mechanics and a beautiful world filled with all sorts of weird and wonderful monsters. In spite of the shifts in genre and art style Stories manages to feel and play like a Monster Hunter game, allowing it to serve as a breath of fresh air for series veterans and a nice transition into the main games for those new to the series.

God is a Geek

7.5/10

Sep 10, 2017

It may be different to the other games in the MH series, but Stories is a lot of fun, and the JRPG mechanics are enjoyable, providing lots of different scenarios in its combat.

Top Bottom