• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World Free Trial, 11-17 December, Progress carries to the full game

DonF

Didn't see this posted.
To all of us who are on the fence about this game. Try it out for free!

The game is also discounted as of right now, at least on the PS Store.

zombrex

Picked it up last week, game is on sale for cheap at many retail stores in Australia right now.
Really fantastic game, already put in more than 40 hours.
All the small quality of life improvements from previous games are so nice.
This is definitely worth trying out for free.

Last edited:

kyussman

I tried the pre-release demo(never played Monster Hunter before),it seemed so complex.
I ran around and wailed on some monsters but I had no clue of the mechanics,is it really as complicated as it looked?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I tried the pre-release demo(never played Monster Hunter before),it seemed so complex.
I ran around and wailed on some monsters but I had no clue of the mechanics,is it really as complicated as it looked?
Monster Hunter does have a heavy "simulation" streak to it. And World is even more streamlined compared to previous entries. It's not just you.

My recommendation would be to spend a bit of time -- maybe just 10 or 20 minutes -- in the training room trying out different weapons. If memory serves, you can even swap your weapons during the training session. Try out some combos, find a weapon that you like, and then...

source.gif

Aspirants can also check out Gaijin Hunter's Youtube for some great tutorials for each weapon. There is no "best" weapon. Every single weapon can make mincemeat of a monster in the hands of a skilled player, without exception.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Do you still have to shoot the monster with a rock every 4 combos or so to keep it from running away? I dropped the game at level 8 or something because unlike other MH games I had to struggle to make monsters actually fight me.

Kanhir

Do you still have to shoot the monster with a rock every 4 combos or so to keep it from running away? I dropped the game at level 8 or something because unlike other MH games I had to struggle to make monsters actually fight me.
They will always run away at some point. If they're limping, it means they're near death; if not, they're just changing area. It's normal, just go after them and keep bashing them.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The later quests and monsters are more aggressive and will stay in the area much longer. I don't know why they made the early monsters so skittish but I was annoyed by that, too.

Later monsters still run, but if you can spot their "run away" behavior you can often whomp on them and get a free knockdown. This more-or-less resets their "run away" meter for a little while.

Top Bottom