• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World has world has sold over 23M copies, MH Rise 13 Million. Monster Hunter Now Reaches 10 million downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
It has been revealed that Monster Hunter World - the ambitious open world entry in Capcom's legendary action series - has surpassed 23 million units sold.

This was revealed as part of a special new year message released on the official Monster Hunter YouTube channel. This video, in which producer Ryozo Tsujimoto wishes the world well as we all get accustomed to 2024, is short but packed full of interesting tidbits about the series' past and future.

Alongside the impressive sales figures attached to Monster Hunter World, it was also revealed in the same video that Monster Hunter Rise has sold 13 Million copies, while Monster Hunter Now has pushed past the 10 million shipped units milestone. All in all, a pretty huge spread for one of Capcom's premier series.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I really wanted to get into MH Now, but it very very quickly becomes super time gated to a degree that not even what they attempt to sell you would alleviate it.

It's like such a sudden wall that you just uninstall and walk away.

Robb

Gold Member
People do love their MH games. I’ve never been able to get into the series myself.

I wonder if “Switch 2” will be able to run the upcoming game or if they’ll make a whole new game for Nintendo again (“Rise 2” if you will) though.

Last edited:

Skifi28

gftH9Gw.gif

nemiroff

Gold Member
Heh, there's yet another thing I did an honest try to get into but utterly failed. But yeah; I guess it's a "it's not you, it's me" scenario.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I really wanted to get into MH Now, but it very very quickly becomes super time gated to a degree that not even what they attempt to sell you would alleviate it.

It's like such a sudden wall that you just uninstall and walk away.
Ninatec can go suck a lemon they burned me once with their nonsense in Pokemon Go so right out of the gate I swore to never touch Monster Hunter Now

People do love their MH games. I’ve never been able to get into the series myself.

I wonder if “Switch 2” will be able to run the upcoming game or if they’ll make a whole new game for Nintendo again (“Rise 2” if you will) though.
Considering their past history Capcom will continue to have two teams working on two different games with one working on the "console" game and the other working on the "portable" game however if you want to believe the whiners who say that Monster Hunter Wilds doesn't look "advance enough" for a next gen system than the game is being "held back" because it's also going to release on the Switch 2.

I remember when a lot people expected MH World would not sell more than 10m units because there wasn’t a PC (day one) or Switch version.

Ohhhh, fun times!!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
i wonder what happened to all these people?

edit: these were taken 5 pages into a 70 page thread. imagine how much more content we could've gotten if i only wasn't lazy.

0glYcjG.png

Last edited:

acm2000

ive tried the MH games on a couple of occasions but i just hate the controls and how the characters move about, its awful, reminds me of lost planet.

Robb

Gold Member
Capcom will continue to have two teams working on two different games with one working on the "console" game and the other working on the "portable" game
Yeah, you’re probably right. Assuming it’d be easy to port over to ‘Switch 2’ I’m just thinking “why not” though.

But it’s more fun if we get multiple installments throughout a generation imo.

Last edited:
Heh, there's yet another thing I did an honest try to get into but utterly failed. But yeah; I guess it's a "it's not you, it's me" scenario.
I had tried a few times over the years, but was never there on day one. With World, I was there from the start and gave it a real chance. I still consider my time with it some of the most enjoyable. What a fantastic game. I did absolutely everything there was to do in it prior to the expansion.

This is why I have skipped Rise. I wasn’t there at the start, and suspect I would just feel out of place. I’m waiting for the next console version.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
This is why I have skipped Rise. I wasn’t there at the start, and suspect I would just feel out of place. I’m waiting for the next console version.
Even if you were there from the start, rise isn't as good if you're coming straight from world; you'd find yourself missing a lot of things that were removed to fit the lower spec/budget.
Still a fun game though.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I had tried a few times over the years, but was never there on day one. With World, I was there from the start and gave it a real chance. I still consider my time with it some of the most enjoyable. What a fantastic game. I did absolutely everything there was to do in it prior to the expansion.

What? Of all the reasons to skip Rise this is the strangest one I have see do you often fall victim to some sort of FOMO and skip games simply because "You aren't there Day 1"?

The player base doesn't stop existing the moment you step into it even after "Day 1" is over and if this is your hold up you frankly picked the worst franchise in the entire video game history to feel this way about because quite literary EVERY single game in the franchise has been brought back online by fans and can be played online with people and yes that includes the old PS2 games, PSP games, the defunct Frontier game, the Wi, Wii U and 3DS games.

But putting aside the Old World games you still get an average of 29,000~ people playing Rise on Steam so why not instead of tweedling your thumbs for the next 16 months waiting for Monster Hunter Wilds to come out you go give Rise a try? You don't need to be in the zeitgeist to enjoy a Monster Hunter game.

Even if you were there from the start, rise isn't as good if you're coming straight from world; you'd find yourself missing a lot of things that were removed to fit the lower spec/budget.
Still a fun game though.

So outside of a bigger map (which is not necessary) and the lack of mantles what exactly is Rise missing? Because speaking as someone who started with with the PSP games I bet I can come up with a bigger list of thing that MHW removed from MHGU versus what ever little I can thing of that got removed between MHW and MHR

Last edited:

Comandr

i wonder what happened to all these people?

edit: these were taken 5 pages into a 70 page thread. imagine how much more content we could've gotten if i only wasn't lazy.

0glYcjG.png
Imagine being so shortsighted to make comments like this about what would be come not only capcom’s highest selling game in their company history but arguably one of best games they’ve ever made.
They are just completely different types of games.

MHW: monster hunter immersive simulator. Track monsters. Observe their long term behavior and interactions based on their schedules and personality. Collect local fauna and flora for research. Engage with on location npcs and help them with their own research. Discover and recruit local tribes of lynian to help you in your quests.

MHR: boss rush the game.
Completely optional story quests: most people will tell you to skip village quests entirely. No tracking. Monsters just wander around waiting for you to kill them. No collecting anything aside from materials for crafting. No NPCs to meet in the maps.

If MHW is The Witcher 3 (who incidentally has a pretty in depth collab quest with MHW) then MHR is Doom

Xion_Stellar

They are just completely different types of games.

MHW: monster hunter immersive simulator. Track monsters. Observe their long term behavior and interactions based on their schedules and personality. Collect local fauna and flora for research. Engage with on location npcs and help them with their own research. Discover and recruit local tribes of lynian to help you in your quests.

MHR: boss rush the game.
Completely optional story quests: most people will tell you to skip village quests entirely. No tracking. Monsters just wander around waiting for you to kill them. No collecting anything aside from materials for crafting. No NPCs to meet in the maps.

If MHW is The Witcher 3 (who incidentally has a pretty in depth collab quest with MHW) then MHR is Doom
The thing is that's exactly what Monster Hunter IS and has been this entire time! Monster Hunter World is the odd one here with these extra baggage when at the end of the day the fan base just want the fight and just like swimming on Tri and 3 Ultimate I hope you guys got to enjoy this little aside the franchise momentarily took because based on developer interviews it doesn't look like it's coming back either.

Last edited:

Comandr

The thing is that's exactly what Monster Hunter IS and has been this entire time! Monster Hunter World is the odd one here with these extra baggage when at the end of the day the fan base just want the fight and just like swimming on Tri and 3 Ultimate I hope you guys got to enjoy this little aside the franchise momentarily took because based on developer interviews it doesn't look like it's coming back either.
What? Where… are you getting this information? Everything we have seen from Wilds from the zillion people picking apart the trailer to interviews themselves suggest it will be exactly like World. People can see the fuckin scout fly cage and slinger in the trailer.

This STRONGLY suggests we will be tracking monsters and the myriad of tiny creatures in the trailer combined with the slinger suggests we will be capturing them again with the slinger net.

If you think MHW was a weird experiment they are going to walk away from you’re nuts. Not after selling a million jillion copies. And certainly not after Rise only managed to pull in only around half of that.

The people have voted with their wallets and the current player base confirms it. There was an overwhelming amount of people that have been leaving Rise to go back to World even before the #returntoworld campaign started.

MHW is now the blueprint for mainline games moving forward.

It is overwhelmingly likely that moving forward the main MH team will make big immersive games like world and the portable team will focus on tight boss rush experiences.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

What? Where… are you getting this information? Everything we have seen from Wilds from the zillion people picking apart the trailer to interviews themselves suggest it will be exactly like World. People can see the fuckin scout fly cage and slinger in the trailer.

This STRONGLY suggests we will be tracking monsters and the myriad of tiny creatures in the trailer combined with the slinger suggests we will be capturing them again with the slinger net.

If you think MHW was a weird experiment they are going to walk away from you’re nuts. Not after selling a million jillion copies. And certainly not after Rise only managed to pull in only around half of that.

The people have voted with their wallets and the current player base confirms it. There was an overwhelming amount of people that have been leaving Rise to go back to World even before the #returntoworld campaign started.

MHW is now the blueprint for mainline games moving forward.

It is overwhelmingly likely that moving forward the main MH team will make big immersive games like world and the portable team will focus on tight boss rush experiences.
Has the director of Wilds been announced? Because it was the Director of Rise who explained why some aspect of World didn't make a return and if he's in charge of Wilds I'm less incline to believe those aspects will make a return again

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
So outside of a bigger map (which is not necessary) and the lack of mantles what exactly is Rise missing?
The multiplayer got completely butchered, you can no longer just join people's 16 player hubs and organise hunts, you are completely limited to inviting 4 people beforehand; absolutely terrible for people who enjoy hunting with randoms
You can also no longer search joinable hunts in a specific way, so good luck trying to do a specific hunt, you'll be staring at "searching for hunts" until your computer crashes from embarrassment; it's even worse for trying to do event quests, those become completely impossible to find.

Speaking of event quests, the amount and variety in rise is just a joke compared to world.

Then there's the actual gameplay where rise is just even more of a boss rush game because the monster being visible right away, you enter the hunt and just beeline to it, in world you actually did some tracking.
Then there's the dogs which make travel much faster, which in turn means monsters are constantly running away, mounting monsters was nerfed in because of the wirebug mounting system, and they completely gutted turf wars.
Everything about rise is more about faster and direct action, while pretty much neglecting everything else and shitting on multiplayer.

Comandr

Has the director of Wilds been announced? Because it was the Director of Rise who explained why some aspect of World didn't make a return and if he's in charge of Wilds I'm less incline to believe those aspects will make a return again
No. Nothing like that has been “announced,” I think it would be odd for them to “announce” a director. It is extremely likely that it’s Yuya Tokuda the MHW director.

1) MHW has been out of active development for a long time. Why would Tokuda and his team just be sitting around picking their noses while Yasunori Ichinose is directing both MHR and the heavily in development, unannounced Wilds?

2) Ichinose has never directed a non portable game.
jg2toY5.jpg

There is absolutely zero reason to suspect he would do Wilds.

TheKratos

I'm very surprised that we are not getting any new MH game in 2024, which is the 20th anniversary for the franchise.

Lokaum D+

Amazing game, put >400 hours in Rise/Sunbreak.

i m the only one that play MH games with BGM off ? the combat music breaks all immersion for me

Last edited:

amigastar

I've currently installed Monster Hunter Rise on Game Pass. Still have to play it, never played a MH game for very long (the 3DS MH for 30 min or so)

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
i m the only one that play MH games with BGM off ?
...probably.
I can't imagine fighting velkhana or vaal hazak without their beautiful tracks, they add to their character.
Or fighting fatalis without the track switching from certain doom to ultra heroic when you're about to kill it? oof

Amazon Prime Video Love GIF by primevideoin

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Is rise a mobile game or something? It looks much worse than world. Is it a worse game?
I've not played any of them but I see that world is MT framework game. Can't say no to mt framework

Comandr

i m the only one that play MH games with BGM off ? the combat music breaks all immersion for me
james franco wtf GIF

The music is one of the best aspects of MH. The fucking dread you feel when you’re having a good time enjoying yourself and then Bazelgeuse theme plays.
agents of shield jemma simmons GIF by ABC Network
His theme is a banger tho so it’s okay.

I do have a somewhat out there thought: the term “Wilds” alludes to … wilderness. That is, the great expanse of nature. That expanse can… easily keep being discovered and explored further. I would not be surprised if Wilds was more of a platform rather than an individual game.

I could definitely see this being a Monster Hunter Frontier situation where they have a strong foundation and a proven formula and just keep releasing new expansions like iceborne.

Game is built on a successful formula, next gen only for future proofing. RE/REX engine for continued support for years to come… a lot of things lining up to make Wilds a game that could be sustained with a continual flow of content for 10 or so years.

I don’t see a lot of point in designing a completely new, bespoke game with its own areas and stories if you can just take the MMO approach and make new lands and continents and such with their own stories and places to explore and monsters to fight. Just a thought.

Shubh_C63

Another game like Elden Ring that I love every inch of and won't be able to complete ever. And I love them for it.

Hudo

I honestly tried two times to get into MH with World. I never "got it".

But I am happy for you guys that you seem to get another good MH game with Wilds!

Last edited:

bbeach123

I honestly tried two times to get into MH with World. I never "got it".

But I am happy for you guys that you seem to get another good MH game with Wilds!
You could try all of the weapons before dropping , they all play different ,feel different, had different mechanic , I tried 40 hours with mh3u ,both longsword and bow , shit's terrible . 30 hours on mh4 with insect glaive , almost drop it too .

And then , BEHOLD , THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL . THE ONE AND ONLY , THE BEST WEAPONS, GOD'S PERFECT CREATION .

꧁༺ 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝒞𝐻𝒜𝑅𝒢𝐸 𝐵𝐿𝒜𝒟𝐸 ༻꧂

Had 1500 hours under my belt since .

Xion_Stellar

The multiplayer got completely butchered, you can no longer just join people's 16 player hubs and organise hunts, you are completely limited to inviting 4 people beforehand; absolutely terrible for people who enjoy hunting with randoms
You can also no longer search joinable hunts in a specific way, so good luck trying to do a specific hunt, you'll be staring at "searching for hunts" until your computer crashes from embarrassment; it's even worse for trying to do event quests, those become completely impossible to find.
That's more of a franchise problem and less of a Rise issue various titles have gotten aspects of the multiplayer title correctly while also lacking in others seemingly for no reason at all as for the room size I'm in favor of the 4 man room as there is less faffing about in my opinion.
Then there's the actual gameplay where rise is just even more of a boss rush game because the monster being visible right away, you enter the hunt and just beeline to it, in world you actually did some tracking.
Let me ask you this did you start with World? Because everything you just said equates to wasting more time at the start of each hunt so how is that better then eating for Felyne Oracle to know a monsters exact position, or using an armor skill that highlights were they are, or using legacy knowledge to know where they are and immediately going towards them to paintball them, or heck waving down a weather balloon to tell you where they are? This is the Red Dead Redemption 2 issue all over again you are in favor of the more immersive approach while the series is known for taking the practical approach
Then there's the dogs which make travel much faster, which in turn means monsters are constantly running away, mounting monsters was nerfed in because of the wirebug mounting system, and they completely gutted turf wars.
I do agree that they made the monster run away far too often and honestly I would be willing to meet you in the middle and be in favor of getting rid of mounting all together
No. Nothing like that has been “announced,” I think it would be odd for them to “announce” a director. It is extremely likely that it’s Yuya Tokuda the MHW director.
If Yuya is at the helm again then yeah some of the World aspects are coming back but hopefully more define and maybe we will actually get a new weapon this time around because we haven't got a new one since MH4 but if they want to be lazy about it they they could just import the Tonfas from Frontier.

I could definitely see this being a Monster Hunter Frontier situation where they have a strong foundation and a proven formula and just keep releasing new expansions like iceborne.
I would actually be in favor of this specially if they finally add 8+ player fights that Frontier has and add Zenith Rank monsters so now the rest of the fan base who never played Frontier can experience them.
I wouldn't your the only one but I will say you are a very weird one for doing that I mean how else would you ever listen to the amazing fight music that Khezu has?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
That's more of a franchise problem
...ok? My post was about moving from world to rise, not about the franchise as a whole; and it's also less about 4 man groups and more about how the entirely mp hunt finding functionality got gutted and there's a severe lack of event quests.
Let me ask you this did you start with World?
...who cares? This feels like you're trying discuss something completely irrelevant to my post; it doesn't matter where I started, because my post is about moving from World to Rise.
But to answer some of it, it would be insane to keep a series the exact same for 20 years, especially when most of design came from hardware limitations, especially with the move to mobile platforms; games on mobile platforms are designed with that in mind meaning that most sessions need to be short and efficient, so no it's not "wasting time", it's a more fully fledged experience that comes with moving to a dedicated powerful home system, expecting it to remain a more hamstrung experience, like rise needed to be because of its mobile nature, is just silly and honestly a bit dogmatic/gatekeeper'ish.

I don't care to discuss this any further though, since as I said my post is just about moving from World to Rise, and not argue about things I didn't say so you can show how much more OG MH streetcred you apparently have.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is rise a mobile game or something? It looks much worse than world. Is it a worse game?
I've not played any of them but I see that world is MT framework game. Can't say no to mt framework
For fucks sake

Comandr

what? I am genuinely asking. I will play one of these games. Rise is newer but World seems to get all the attention.
If you haven’t played a MH game before World is the way to go. It was specifically designed for people that are unfamiliar with the series. It’s also in the middle of a renaissance right now so there’s an incredible amount of people to play with.

World is easily one of the best MH games of all time.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you haven’t played a MH game before World is the way to go. It was specifically designed for people that are unfamiliar with the series. It’s also in the middle of a renaissance right now so there’s an incredible amount of people to play with.

World is easily one of the best MH games of all time.
Is it a must to play with people? or is it asynchronous like death stranding or dark souls ?

Raven117

Neither of those games would have got the sales they did on a single platform.
You are missing the context.

Lots of folks were saying “mh is a Nintendo franchise”. “Won’t do very well not on a Nintendo device”. (This is for mhw)

Comandr

Is it a must to play with people? or is it asynchronous like death stranding or dark souls ?
Multiplayer is completely optional. Every quest in the game is open for either solo or multiplayer play. You can opt in or out any time.

Unlike Rise, whose monsters have toooonnns of HP, World actually feels like it scales correctly for solo play. It would be nothing to be fighting a monster for 15-30 minutes solo in Rise. It’s really designed around multiplayer to bring that time down.

I recently just played through the game again solo and loved every minute of it. It’s balanced perfectly. Pro tip: pick a fast weapon at first. Dual blades, sword and shield, long sword. Each weapon is essentially a different class and can really change the way the game feels for you. Some of them just won’t click. I hated the series until I discovered the gunlance.

NanaMiku

Hey man, I just want Lagiacrus back....

I'm still salty they removed him from the prototype of World. I dropped World when they showed the prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom