• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Kyoufu

No, it doesn't.

The actual drinking animation is fine but the flex after is clearly a waste of time, from a gameplay standpoint it‘s dumb.

It's not, it's there so that you're punished for poorly timing a heal. For the games they're in, that design makes complete sense.

For MHW, a game where you're probably going to be on the move frequently with monsters even being able to chase you a long way, it probably didn't make much sense to force you to stop and devote time to healing.

What about arena fights? Or Fights against Elder Dragonson a single room? Can't leave the zone there.

This is still something you have to time well. Is the monster in the middle of the animation against a party member? You should probably heal. Is the monster standing around and just moving? Its probably switching targets and you should wait till you heal.

Your first point about single zone quests prove that the extra flex animation is stupid.

Your second point doesn't always work since online monsters behave unpredictable at times. Yes they have patterns, believe me we know, but with 4 players the AI can be unpredictable.

One moment you're safe and can heal but try the exact same shit again and you might get wrecked even though you chose the exact safe moment you did before. Anyone who has played MH a lot knows that the long ass animation can fuck you over even at moments when you're 9 out of 10 times completely safe.

thefil

Have an appointment for the Monster Hunter multiplayer theatre showcase later today. Will write up my impressions again. Very excited! :)

Comandr

It's not, it's there so that you're punished for poorly timing a heal. For the games they're in, that design makes complete sense.

For MHW, a game where you're probably going to be on the move frequently with monsters even being able to chase you a long way, it probably didn't make much sense to force you to stop and devote time to healing.

You know, that's something I didn't actually think about. The guy in the trailer is totally being chased. In previous titles if you left the zone, the monster would just wander around and do whatever until you ran into each other again. But since there are no zones, you can be chased. Whoooaaa!! Cool!!!

Fandangox

Can we not panic about healing animations yet?

I mean Bloodborne has incredibly fast healing animations, but the game isn't casual/easy by any means, and people routinely go into boss fights and run out of healing items or whatever.

The game can certainly be balanced around fast healing, come on.

Bloodborne is a different game and has a rally mechanic for encouraging aggressive combat.

You are right that they could re-balance the healing to make it work here, but they were arguing that it didn't make sense on the previous games. That's what I was disagreeing with.

rpmurphy

To me, the game sounds like the player has more mobility and mechanisms for avoidance so it should balance out with the open map design with the monster chasing after you. And the animation is largely moot in hunts with multiple players. The healing animation could be balanced for the new game, but it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be completely removed or anything.

However, hopefully the full meat eating animation is still in.

Kinsei

Banned
Can we not panic about healing animations yet?

I mean Bloodborne has incredibly fast healing animations, but the game isn't casual/easy by any means, and people routinely go into boss fights and run out of healing items or whatever.

The game can certainly be balanced around fast healing, come on.

They were arguing that the healing system in the previous games didn't make sense.

Obviously they could have rebalanced the monsters for the new healing system in this one.

mas8705

Too bad we aren't seeing live demos of a hunt in action. Would be nice to see the different in "healing yourself" is here. From what I heard, you can actually use a potion while still moving around this time (but it isn't like you can retreat to a safe space if the monster can give chase to you).

R0ckman

Your first point about single zone quests prove that the extra flex animation is stupid.

Your second point doesn't always work since online monsters behave unpredictable at times. Yes they have patterns, believe me we know, but with 4 players the AI can be unpredictable.

One moment you're safe and can heal but try the exact same shit again and you might get wrecked even though you chose the exact safe moment you did before. Anyone who has played MH a lot knows that the long ass animation can fuck you over even at moments when you're 9 out of 10 times completely safe.

I've seen Yian Garuga bug the hell out when NOT online. I did one of those new hunter arts and it locked him into a neutral stance for a second, then he snapped back into an attack animation. The game can be unpredictable in many ways when they do little to change and add monsters and old behaviors to games with new features and factors.

Kyoufu

USE DA BOW!

I don't think people get to play it themselves but I'd love to know if they changed the bow controls to something more modern instead.

I mean, I REALLY don't want to use it the way it currently is in the MH series.

Demoli

I've seen Yian Garuga bug the hell out when NOT online. I did one of those new hunter arts and it locked him into a neutral stance for a second, then he snapped back into an attack animation. The game can be unpredictable in many ways when they do little to change and add monsters and old behaviors to games with new features and factors.

Yian Garuga is probably the worst monster in the series because he has barely if any tells. I remember in 4G he was the hardest guild quest cause he had this enar instant kill where he just stod there for a second and then charge immidiatly.

But even then, the extra animation from healing was there for a purpose, to have a deliberate time window where you as a player had to be sure you wouldn't be hit by an interrupting attack.

Kinsei

Banned
I don't think people get to play it themselves but I'd love to know if they changed the bow controls to something more modern instead.

I mean, I REALLY don't want to use it the way it currently is in the MH series.

They can't really get away with not changing the bow controls. At the very least R2/RT has to be to be charge/shoot and the right stick has to be used to aim.

Nerazar

And Capcom knew about the Switch early enough in it's development to ask for it to have more RAM, apparently just for funsies.

Probably for a possible MH5:portable or something. Because however popular the Switch might be, it will not surpass the hardware base of PS4/XBO/PC anytime soon. It would have to be a scaled down version, probably focussing on shorter term missions (whereas MH:W doesn't seem to have that focus anymore) and smaller maps etc. Just like the portable versions now.

aBarreras

i think what bums me out the most is the lack of crossplay.

the only game my friends play with me on xbox one is gears 4, anything else is a fucking long shot.

there is a group of acquaintances that play Monster hunter a lot, and i wanted to play with them, they obviously have the switch and me too so i was ready to go in.

with the news of monster hunter world and the lack of localization all my hopes are now on the gutter.

my only hope was cross play and thats a no.

the only thing i have left is that mhxx actually comes over but they wanted to give focus to world during this E3

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You are right that they could re-balance the healing to make it work here, but they were arguing that it didn't make sense on the previous games. That's what I was disagreeing with.

They were arguing that the healing system in the previous games didn't make sense.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, the flex animation was goofy but definitely served a purpose in the old games. If it's now instant, then I'm sure the game will be balanced with that in mind, much like the grass/estus animation was slower and the blood vial animation was faster and both worked within their own games.

Kyoufu

They can't really get away with not changing the bow controls. At the very least R2/RT has to be to be charge/shoot and the right stick has to be used to aim.

I really hope so. I'd use ranged weapons a lot more if that's the case.

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member
Wondering about how they will balance wide-range/lifepowder/horns/songs in a seamless open area. Zone wide? Within a certain distance? One standardized distance or different ones for each AoE effect and level of wide-range?

Kard8p3

Yeah but everyone is just doing G rank/guild quest stuff in 4u and Deviant monsters or DLC in Gen

not really much of anything else

fuk. I never got super far into the online stuff for 4u/Gen. I put most of my MH time into Tri way back when.

Think it'd still be possible to catch up?

Kyoufu

Wondering about how they will balance wide-range/lifepowder/horns/songs in a seamless open area. Zone wide? Within a certain distance? One standardized distance or different ones for each AoE effect and level of wide-range?

Probably same as usual, zone wide. The maps are still split into "zones" with their own numbers so I'd guess that wide-area effects would be tied to that.

Yeah ok. Noone can guess a westernized Monster Hunter out of the blue. You can lie to yourself all you want but the leaker knew a lot of things.

The only thing that should ever be questioned are the parts about motives.

They could be manipulating facts to get an emotional response. They could simply be speculating but regardless they had insider info that 2 monster games are coming and for now we got the less plausible version already coming. I'm guessing we'll find out about the traditional version next year. I'm betting on that because I would assume that game announcement would hurt XX sales.

Capcom themselves said they wanted to branch monster hunter out to the west and pretty much said that it was held back by handheld systems or something along those lines. It was actually a really easy thing to guess based on how they were talking.

R0ckman

Yian Garuga is probably the worst monster in the series because he has barely if any tells. I remember in 4G he was the hardest guild quest cause he had this enar instant kill where he just stod there for a second and then charge immidiatly.

But even then, the extra animation from healing was there for a purpose, to have a deliberate time window where you as a player had to be sure you wouldn't be hit by an interrupting attack.

I actually like fighting it, and if I come prepared he is one of the easier monsters for me. But I don't mean its normal wacky behavior. I mean the attack just reset him and he froze.

With him its not about the behavior patterns but the openings all of his attacks give you. I'm pretty cautious on when I attack in this series because I mainly use Great Sword offline for easier tail/part cuts and I actually like the heavy blows to the monsters since they usually don't flinch.

PKrockin

^ Garuga is an absolute shit monster that belongs in the dumpster with the vast majority of the rest of the gen 1/2 monsters

Have you tried the new bow controls they introduced in Gen?

PKrockin

You should. You hold R to charge, release to fire, and you don't have to stop and enter a separate aiming mode to fire at a different vertical angle than straight ahead.

Actually I may be misremembering and they could have actually introduced this in 4U. Regardless it's a huge improvement over the old aiming style.

R0ckman

Seems you can cancel some actions mid way through? These changes are being made since you can no longer move to a different zone to get your crap together.

I was wondering about the reception in Japan, especially since it was notably announced in a US event. And well, Monster Hunter World trailer is already the 4th biggest video ever seen on Capcom Japan channel with more than two million views.

MH3P on PSP, published seven years ago, is the biggest video there with more than 3 million view (and also remains the best selling game of the series of course).

Asd202

I was wondering about the reception in Japan, especially since it was notably announced in a US event. And well, Monster Hunter World trailer is already the 4th biggest video ever seen on Capcom Japan channel with more than two million views.

MH3P on PSP, published seven years ago, is the biggest video there with more than 3 million view (and also remains the best selling game of the series of course).

Wow so many views already? Did not expect that.

Its going to out view MH3P. Really surprised at the positive reaction from Japan.

R0ckman

Its going to out view MH3P. Really surprised at the positive reaction from Japan.

Why? Aren't they more interested in the multiplayer aspect of it, rather than trying to appear "hardcore?" Thats what my friends says, whos living there. They have tons of local meet ups for it. Granted they cant do that in this entry.

YBdisk

Has there been any info on armor skills/decorations? They're a big part of why I enjoy monhun and I have a feeling they might get rid of them.

Raide

Has there been any info on armor skills/decorations?
They're a big part of why I enjoy monhun and I have a feeling they might get rid of them.

Nothing said. They are a core part of the MH series but I get the feeling they will return but in a more sensible and easy to explain way.

Raide

I remember saying ages ago that I wanted tracking and more traversal in a MH game and that's what they have given us! The tracking flies are an interesting way to hunt your monster. Checking for footprints, looking at what gets eaten etc. Personally I would like to see it be less obvious that bugs are flying around , which lets players search the world instead of just running to Zone 4 and kicking monster ass.

Raide

Wow that t-rex-turkey fight looked amazing to me! Finally getting this series out of the stone-age and 3DS.

I have been watching loads of different videos etc and they mentioned an interview that talked about adding more interesting A.I to the monsters. Not just attack pattern, flinch, attack pattern, trip etc. They needed to move ahead with latest gen system to let them really open up to some new ideas.

Personally I cannot wait to see some of the monsters that really use the environment to chase you down.

zoukka

I have been watching loads of different videos etc and they mentioned an interview that talked about adding more interesting A.I to the monsters. Not just attack pattern, flinch, attack pattern, trip etc. They needed to move ahead with latest gen system to let them really open up to some new ideas.

Personally I cannot wait to see some of the monsters that really use the environment to chase you down.

I mean this t-rex already show'd various patterns, it could move from one area to another and shit...

And then you realize it's just a minor monster when the fucking dragon comes and picks it up or the lizards eats it :D

Raide

I mean this t-rex already show'd various patterns, it could move from one area to another and shit...

And then you realize it's just a minor monster when the fucking dragon comes and picks it up or the lizards eats it :D

Yeah! Loved the bit where it chased the player through the rocks etc. Damn terrifying.

The monster interaction could be something really interesting, especially with Rathian and Rathalos. :D

Kinsei

Banned

I wouldn't really call it a minor monster. It's definitely early game but it's certainly a step above whatever this games tutorial monster(s) will be.

Qurupeke

I wouldn't really call it a minor monster. It's definitely early game but it's certainly a step above whatever this games tutorial monster(s) will be.

Seems like something you fight on the "mid game", a bit before the big fight with the cover monster.

Top Bottom