• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) for 3DS announced, launching March 18, 2017 in Japan

Mupod

That was to the Wii, but yeah, that was total WTF. Maybe they didn't want to take the time to adapt Freedom Unite to consoles properly, but they could have at least used Monster Hunter 2.

I always got the feeling they want to do something super game changing with 5 and are using Generations to experiment with game mechanics so that if they don't work out in the long run they can dial them back because "oh that was the experimental game".

I keep finding myself accidentally typing Wii U instead of Wii, what the hell. I even did it when I googled the game's release date since I wasn't sure if it came out immediately before or after Tri.

As for a more ambitious entry in 5, I've said since the start that 4's traversal is the first step into something more major. If we ever do get the more 'open world' kind of MH that people have been clamoring for it'll use that kind of thing to facilitate it. Instead of load screens, shortcuts or climbing up to a plateau. Instead of monsters flying away, they crash through a wall and now you're in a new area seamlessly. But they aren't going to do this kind of thing while ruining the pacing and tight gameplay you get from small segmented individual areas.

This is (probably) not coming in March for the West.

They could be leveraging it as a Global flagship launch title for Switch

But thats just me being WAY optimistic

Did we get clarification on whether this can be downloaded as an expansion yet?

Could speed up localization as they would only need to localize the new content

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Interesting, I'm seeing this as a sort of filler title to give them time to build MH5, as they WILL have to change up the engine by then.
The new monster looks dope, but reusing Diablos as a flagship is Capcom laziness in full force. These expansions should be no more than DLC really, but we know how Capcom works. I might buy if I'm craving more from Generations, but will defintelly buy if a Switch version rears it's head.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I demand cat lances / gunlances D::::

As I still refuse to mess with my game data by changing back to a human and breaking my cat only record lol

R0ckman

I still hope that Styles don't make it to MH5 or they increase Monster Difficultly accordingly because styles are too OP in my opinion and MHG was easily worse than MH3U and MH4U.

So much for saying they were not making a "G" version of MHX huh? Well I guess it technically doesn't have G in the title but still...

They actually made monsters harder in this in certain aspects. They gave a lot of them soft lock on abilities where you can't watch the tell and move just slightly out of the way. The monster will do its tell then lock on to whatever position you are in.

Mupod

They could be leveraging it as a Global flagship launch title for Switch

But thats just me being WAY optimistic

A DLC expansion makes so much more sense for the western market than a standalone game. I wonder if they've built in any way to allow it.

This is a bummer...Capcom is pushing it a bit too far now. I will probably end up skipping this. Hopefully they're working on something big for the Switch.

Alrus

This has never been the case with MH and I really doubt Capcom will change its business model for this entry. It would make sense to do it in the west instead but it's Capcom...

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
They actually made monsters harder in this in certain aspects. They gave a lot of them soft lock on abilities where you can't watch the tell and move just slightly out of the way. The monster will do its tell then lock on to whatever position you are in.
My main issue with the styles is that you can stack those style advantages on top of the Armor Skills which made an already easy game just much more easier.

My initial prediction about Styles was pretty much true when MHX was first shown in the sense that style choice is nice an all but ultimately meaningless because most players would just stack the best style with the best armor skills to each specific weapon and naturally gravitate towards what gives the most DPS. Yeah we have an OPTION to do so but just having that choice isn't much of a relief because people would like to use "the best" instead.Just like we got the choice to use joke weapons instead of the best weapons but just like the Styles you don't see a lot of people doing so.

So I hope that Capcom buffs the Monsters in MH5 to accommodate the style buffs, or removes Styles altogether, or keep the Styles but make them Armor Skills/Charms.

tauroxd

Probably wasn't made clear because there is no mention of it in the OP but is this like a "enhanced version" or kind of a G version of MHX, right? It is not a sequel?

PokéKong

I would be fine with keeping Hunting Styles going forward as long as they better balanced the game around it. But if not, I can see them giving you your Aerial leap and Adept dodge in the form of armor skills, that way it would be much easier to balance. Want your "easy mode" style moves? Sure, but you have to use this small selection of armor that are probably inferior in many other ways, with either no other skills or some negative ones.

butman

I'll stick with 4U until 5U comes out to the Switch.
Not interested on jumping into Generations or this update.
I want a proper controls and HD Monster Hunter in my hands since forever.

DrArchon

I haven't bothered to read through the whole thread because I'm a lazy asshole, but is there any clarification on the new styles? One of them looked like a reworked Adapt but instead of dodging it was with a dedicated counter state. That would fix a lot of the problems people had with Adapt being "easy mode" because you'd have to actually predict attacks instead of just react to them.

Rocket-dragon is a little much for me, and it looks like we're at least getting one new deviant in Diablos, with hopefully some more to be revealed (deviant Seregios would be boss).

tuffy

Ill play cross-gen Generations if it has the right features

I hope i can import my 3DS save though.... Might skip if I have to start over
If it does turn into a cross-gen title, Capcom will just make another save data transfer tool to move between systems like with 3 Ultimate. There's no way they're going to force people to start over.

DrArchon

my boy mizutsune better get a kick ass deviant

I've been thinking that Mizu needed a deviant for a while, if only so we could get water element deviant weapons that aren't total shit like the Stonefist ones are.

Hell, each of the fated four should have a deviant. You can't really claim they're all flagship monsters when one of them is so obviously getting preferential treatment.

flohen95

If it does come out on 3DS and Switch, the western version should be called Monster Hunter X Generations

You know, because it'll be a cross-generation game?

Anyone?

I'll see myself out

Vuze

Anyone else noticed the constant screen tearing of the top screen portion in the stream? Or was I just imagining things?

Boney

Banned
It's been this way for a while now. Why it's wearing you down now I'm not sure.
To be fair, in the west the gap between 3 and 3U was huge and then we skipped 4 for a healthy two year gap. Generations was 16 months and I'm not optimistic about this one if it's 3ds only (which is where I'm putting my chips)

DrArchon

Some footage of Brave Style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G91M45EuiH4

The constant animation canceling, steps etc looks rather terrible

So the counter drains your health and stamina. I figured it would cost stamina, but adding a health drain to it really makes it obvious that it's only supposed to be a parry basically.

I wonder if they're just going to reuse all of the Adapt dodge/guard special attacks for that or if any weapons will get new counter moves.

If it does turn into a cross-gen title, Capcom will just make another save data transfer tool to move between systems like with 3 Ultimate. There's no way they're going to force people to start over.

Optimism for the win!

I hope you are right. Its not unreasonable in the slightest

Vuze

Just realized the Diablos Deviant is the 6th "flagship" monster.
> when you are Capcom and just too cheap for everything

Dr. Buni

If there is a Switch version it might be interesting, but the 3DS is already over saturated with MonHun. MonHun X/Gen wasn't released that long ago.

Calm down, Capcom.

I wonder if there's a normal version of Ballfuck since the one in the trailer had a deviant title.

How many actual new maps were shown in the trailer? Some of the areas reminded me a lot of Old Desert

I tried the MH3 demo on my Wii U and found it too complex -- and I think being complex is actually good, but I wasn't willing to invest the time needed to learn to play it. If we get a Switch port at launch, however, I'll definitely buy it and learn to play it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People complain about a lack of difficulty in Generations...and then complain when the one consistently difficult Monster gets a boss form...

Syril

Some footage of Brave Style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G91M45EuiH4

The constant animation canceling, steps etc looks rather terrible
That brave guard is completely fucking insane. There's another video that shows it being used with a longsword where the player uses it to, first of all, block with a longsword, but then it's also a guard that sheaths your weapon automatically, but then apparently you can also decide while you're guarding to leave the stance by attacking instead of just by sheathing as was seen in that greatsword video.

If there is a Switch version it might be interesting, but the 3DS is already over saturated with MonHun. MonHun X/Gen wasn't released that long ago.

Calm down, Capcom.
It's about the same amount of time as there was between MH4 and 4U. Actually a little bit longer in XX's case. I can agree though that there have been a lot of MonHun titles on 3DS though, will be nice when they finally move to a new platform.

SuperSah

Banned
I love MH but I hate how it's almost becoming an annual thing. They're ginormous games, let them breath.

Of course that won't happen since it's a massive money printer in Japan.

Top Bottom