• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) for 3DS announced, launching March 18, 2017 in Japan

DrArchon

That brave guard is completely fucking insane. There's another video that shows it being used with a longsword where the player uses it to, first of all, block with a longsword, but then it's also a guard that sheaths your weapon automatically, but then apparently you can also decide while you're guarding to leave the stance by attacking instead of just by sheathing as was seen in that greatsword video.

Brave seems to solve one of the biggest problems with Adapt which is the damn roadie run making it tough to land counter attacks where you want (or at all in some cases). That alone could get me to switch from Adapt LS to Brave LS if the button combo for the guard isn't too tough to do and you can still get a quick low meter spirit gauge level up.

I love MH but I hate how it's almost becoming an annual thing. They're ginormous games, let them breath.

Of course that won't happen since it's a massive money printer in Japan.
It has been an annual thing in Japan for years. It only seems like a rarer occurrence in the west because we missed out on two games.

Pejo

Gold Member
Barioth and Barroth are both back! Now that's some alliteration!

I'm just thinking about playing this on my HDTV thanks to Switch. They better fucking port it. I feel totally ok putting my 3DS in its storage drawer and letting it RIP.

KAL2006

Banned
Any one have 3DS Emulator Citra HD pics of Monster Hunter Generations. Trying to imagine how a Switch port would look like

Ridley327

OH MY GOD THIS IS EXACTLY what rational people thought it was going to be the entire time. Gen 5 is still a ways off, folks.

HeeHo

I see a few people complaining about arts. I have about 200 hours on this game and it would be really hard to go back to no arts for me. They just add so much to the game even if they do make you more powerful. It does make it easier, but it hasn't been ridiculously easier. To be honest, I have only really played Adept style the whole time and the dodging animation is so satisfying combined with an opportunity to do a stronger attack after. Still, it's not completely OP, sometimes I do the 'perfect dodge' thing with the adept style and the monster will attack again when I am in the middle of the fast run right after and I can't do another dodge, leaving me open. On the flipside, I main SnS so it makes me feel like an Insect Glaive user being able to do jump attacks up and down after the dodge, scoring me a mount quite often.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Looks great, I haven't played Gen even though I'm a huge MH fan, but if it comes out for the Switch (unlikely), I'll get it day one.

The rocket dragon looks dope, I do find it a bit lazy that the other new flagship is just a Deviant Diablos.

Looks great, I haven't played Gen even though I'm a huge MH fan, but if it comes out for the Switch (unlikely), I'll get it day one.

The rocket dragon looks dope, I do find it a bit lazy that the other new flagship is just a Deviant Diablos.

Switch release unlikely?

I consider it the other way around honestly

I really hope it comes to Switch but I dunno. Seems like it'd be too early to launch, then when it doesn't sell gangbusters Capcom will keep in on the 3ds into the switch's lifespan

Juraash

G-Rank and all that comes with it might be enough to get me back on board. I didn't car for Generations much at all but depending on how end game is handled for G...it might be worth while.

The new hub looks neat at least. When/if it comes out here is obviously the biggest factor, but what it comes out for and how it's structured will also be what ultimately sway me one way or the other.

I really hope it comes to Switch but I dunno. Seems like it'd be too early to launch, then when it doesn't sell gangbusters Capcom will keep in on the 3ds into the switch's lifespan

I would be VERY shocked if Capcom missed the Switch launch train

Cross Gen release seems almost like a no brainer here. I mean... That March launch date

People were predicting this year for MHXX

Faiz

I'm probably going to sit this one out, unless it comes to Switch as well. But I don't think it will, even with the suspicious timing. I've been going through Generations so slowly that I'm not going to be ready. Though an HD version on Switch would completely change the equation.

You see all those assets in the game? They'll have to be remade.

... I wish

More than likely they will either do what they did with 3 Ultimate or just have software apply the improvements much like PPSSPP does on PC when playing MH Portable 3rd (which looks great btw)

Kyoufu

I would be VERY shocked if Capcom missed the Switch launch train

Cross Gen release seems almost like a no brainer here. I mean... That March launch date

People were predicting this year for MHXX

There's no point doing this.

They'd have to work on making assets look acceptable on a considerably more powerful platform only to get a few hundred thousand sales at best.

Instead, the smart thing would be to work on a real next-gen iteration to be released at a later date on higher install bases.

Since MH is annual in Japan, March 2018 would be my guess.

They'd have to work on making assets look acceptable on a considerably more powerful platform only to get a few hundred thousand sales at best.

Instead, the smart thing would be to work on a real next-gen iteration to be released at a later date on higher install bases.

Hmmm

I dunno man

Capcom is pretty port and HD remake happy right now. Not like any of us will know for sure until January :/

magnetic

I hope the Switch Monster Hunter will have framerates above 30.

I was already a bit burned out on MH, but when I read that MHX locked the framerate at 30 even on N3DS when MH4U ran much smoother was a definite step back.

It's funny that we're soon going to get console Monster Hunter again simply by the hybrid nature of the Switch and not because of porting. I like the 3DS for what it is, but those games are so held back by the abysmal resolution and terrible circle pad.

Even a straight port will probably look incredible, the detail and animation of the monsters was already very impressive on 3DS.

Ridley327

Hmmm

I dunno man

Capcom is pretty port and HD remake happy right now. Not like any of us will know for sure until January :/

I think there's a chance that XX will come to Switch, but I feel like it would have to be bundled with another announcement to really drive home the platform as the new home for the series, which depends entirely on how far along gen 5 is.

Dr Thor

Neo Member
Does nobody in this thread realise that new entry--> G-version has been the pattern since Monster Hunter's inception? And that it's been that way in the West too?

Monster Hunter --> Monster Hunter Freedom (1/G)
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 --> Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (2/2G)
Monster Hunter Tri --> Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3/3G)
and now
Monster Hunter Generations --> Monster Hunter GX (X/XX)

4U was the oddball, not the norm.

I for one loved arts and styles, and have no interest in going back to previous editions with less movement and attack options, so I'm really glad to see this. I'm sure G-Rank will offer a good challenge, high-level Deviants packed a punch so I'm sure the G-Rank experience will be even tougher.

javadoze

You see all those assets in the game? They'll have to be remade.

Seeing how most MH games use the MT framework engine (similarly to Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies/Spirit of Justice), I think they already have the up-ressed assets they'd need for a Switch version.

No way Switch gets a Monster Hunter before 2018.

They'll support the massive 3DS userbase until (and if) Switch sells millions of units. It wouldn't be wise to divide the userbase between two formats anyway. People (in Japan at least) wanna play with their friends, so until virtually everyone has a Switch it'll stay on 3DS, which everyone has.

My prediction, but I'm pretty confident. Fairly sure the 8-4 guys said the same recently so I'm not alone in it.

tauroxd

Exactly. I literally do not understand how come someone can say with a straight face that this is releasing on Switch. You know how many people are going to blow their heads when they announce MH5 for Switch? Millions... That's what they are doing, this is a game for those who are dying to play more MH meanwhile they work to go big with MH5 on Switch.

There is also the fact that they will have at least 2 millions sales in Japan on 3DS in a 5 o 6 weeks, no way they are going to get those sales on Switch,

They'll support the massive 3DS userbase until (and if) Switch sells millions of units. It wouldn't be wise to divide the userbase between two formats anyway. People (in Japan at least) wanna play with their friends, so until virtually everyone has a Switch it'll stay on 3DS, which everyone has.

My prediction, but I'm pretty confident. Fairly sure the 8-4 guys said the same recently so I'm not alone in it.

Whew

So we have some ample reasoning on both side regarding a possible switch version

I still think we get one at launch personally but its not like you guys dont make good points

I just think Nintendo is going to push hard with Switch going forward and Capcom is on board.

Wish they werent locking down this info till January

tauroxd

This Monster Hunter milking is as bad as Yokai Watch sheesh

Every game can last you literally hundreds of hours and this one doesn't really seem to be a must, like a light G version, as far as we knoe though, so it is really your choice, they are not forcing you.

tuffy

It's worth remembering that the Wii U could do local multiplayer with 3DS players in 3 Ultimate, so having a cross generation game doesn't necessarily preclude people from playing together. Capcom might put off the transition until MH5, but that release date makes the idea of another quick up-port seem plausible.

It's worth remembering that the Wii U could do local multiplayer with 3DS players in 3 Ultimate, so having a cross generation game doesn't necessarily preclude people from playing together. Capcom might put off the transition until MH5, but that release date makes the idea of another quick up-port seem plausible.

I was going to pose this argument as well but these guys were coming heavy with the dream stomping

Makes more sense for me to recede into the background and wait for January where I can either express joy or disappointment lol

Top Bottom