• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

Slythe

Never played this series but some of the big boss encounters remind me of big Souls bosses. If the combat is anything like that I might jump in on this one.

Ridley327

Never played this series but some of the big boss encounters remind me of big Souls bosses. If the combat is anything like that I might jump in on this one.

There's some familiarity, but Monster Hunter is much more concerned with animation priority over stamina management.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

They're quite different in many ways, but there is a lot of overlap in fandom because there are a few similar aspects, particularly in design philosophy. Such as the weighty animation, commitment to your attacks (few attacks are cancellable), dodge roll being crucial, stamina management (only for dodging, blocking and running and not for attacking, but it's still very important), weapon variety completely changing the playstyle, and yes, the big ass monsters and jolly coop. Add to that exploiting monster weaknesses, tail/part cutting, and more, and yeah, MH combat is definitely top-tier.

Ridley327

Struggling to tell what the last 2 are, Silver los and Kecha Wacha?

The second to last one is Valfalk, the flagship monster for this game. Not sure of who the last one is, though it's possible it might have something to do with the new "final" monster that this one has.

Its similar in some minor ways

There is no hard lock on but the weighted feel of the weapons will feel familiar

As for weapons themselves monster hunter breaks them up and the movesets are the same across weapon types (similar to how some souls weapons have similar movesets of the same type) but variations in movesets come from choosing styles

Otherwise all weapons of the same type function mostly the same.

Either way I feel like Souls players should ease into combat basics easier than someone coming in cold turkey but there is still a learning curve

MTC100

Banned

It does look smoother, doesn't it? I'm still not sure it's really 60FPS or not, we only saw the 3 second intro sequence in fullscreen with barely any movement to tell if it's 30 or 60FPS. Then again, why upload the video in 1080p@60? On the other Hand Nintendo also uploaded Mario Odyssey in 1080p@60 and I wouldn't bet anything on the game running in 1080p in its final form(even though that would be amazing).

Essentially MH XX is a 3DS Game first though, so if the WiiU can run the 3DS Engine in 720p@30 then MH XX in 1080p@60 is a possibility at least, seeing the Switch is roughly 2.5x as powerful as a WiiU(though it could be close, but we don't know how much overhead the WiiU had with its Monsterhunter, I guess if the game can run at 50-60FPS Capcom should go for 1080p with a 60 Lock, we'll live with occasional drops).

Only judging by the looks of it, the game should definitely be able to run at 1080p/60 on the Switch but who knows...

Syril

The fighting has a different rhythm but has similar principles of not attacking recklessly and watching for openings. IMO the monsters have way more interesting attacks and behaviors than the Souls bosses I've seen.

Murkas

The second to last one is Valfalk, the flagship monster for this game. Not sure of who the last one is, though it's possible it might have something to do with the new "final" monster that this one has.

Ah yeah I remember seeing Valfalk ages ago but forgot what it looked like.

And yeah now that you mention it I think the last one is that new praying mantis wearing armour looking thing.

Western release date pls.

Slythe

Its similar in some minor ways

There is no hard lock on but the weighted feel of the weapons will feel familiar

As for weapons themselves monster hunter breaks them up and the movesets are the same across weapon types (similar to how some souls weapons have similar movesets of the same type) but variations in movesets come from choosing styles

Otherwise all weapons of the same type function mostly the same.

Either way I feel like Souls players should ease into combat basics easier than someone coming in cold turkey but there is still a learning curve

They're quite different in many ways, but there is a lot of overlap in fandom because there are a few similar aspects, particularly in design philosophy. Such as the weighty animation, commitment to your attacks (few attacks are cancellable), dodge roll being crucial, stamina management (only for dodging, blocking and running and not for attacking, but it's still very important), weapon variety completely changing the playstyle, and yes, the big ass monsters and jolly coop. Add to that exploiting monster weaknesses, tail/part cutting, and more, and yeah, MH combat is definitely top-tier.

There's some familiarity, but Monster Hunter is much more concerned with animation priority over stamina management.

Thanks for the tips! You had me at dodge rolling and animation management. Sounds like a demanding but satisfying system.

I had mistakenly thought this series was more akin to Pokemon (I have no idea why?). I didn't know it was this style of game. Looks like a grand time.

Murkas

Thanks for the tips! You had me at dodge rolling and animation management. Sounds like a demanding but satisfying system.

I had mistakenly thought this series was more akin to Pokemon (I have no idea why?). I didn't know it was this style of game. Looks like a grand time.

There is that Pokemon feel in this, catch hunt monsters and use them their flesh and bones to catch hunt stronger monsters. Repeat.

Slythe

There is that Pokemon feel in this, catch hunt monsters and use them their flesh and bones to catch hunt stronger monsters. Repeat.

Gotcha, I really like the sound of that. I had it in my head it was a turn based game (based on the Pokemon comparison), so seeing gameplay of this today was quite surprising and exciting.

Pejo

No Qurupeco in this one. He hasn't been back since 3 Ultimate.

Why won't they bring back the best early game skill check? Quru pushed my shit in at least 10 times until I figured out his gimmick. Especially once he could
summon Deviljho

Man the more I think about this on my big screen, the more excited I get. Still wish Quru was in it.

Ridley327

I heard the developers were forced to remove Qurupeco because everyone wanted to be friends with him instead of hunting him...

Peco is pretty adorable. It's not its fault that in order to survive that he needs to rely on others to do its dirty work!

Speaking of, man, did I love that download quest that lets him call Savage Joe.

tuffy

I heard the developers were forced to remove Qurupeco because everyone wanted to be friends with him instead of hunting him...
Qurupeco is in Stories, so I can believe it.
Peco is pretty adorable. It's not its fault that in order to survive that he needs to rely on others to do its dirty work!

Speaking of, man, did I love that download quest that lets him call Savage Joe.
That quest was the best source for Black Blood, too. Those intruder monster rare drop percentages were no joke.

Localisation announcement can't come soon enough.

Heck, 75% of it is already localised!

Oh im predicting a global release

Its been long enough since Generations and they usually announce earlier in advance than this

MH4U was announced a year in advance and Generations gap was even tigher

They clearly want to keep putting games out in the west so I imagine the delay in the announcement was to make a splash with the Switch version

Essentially MH XX is a 3DS Game first though, so if the WiiU can run the 3DS Engine in 720p@30 then MH XX in 1080p@60 is a possibility at least, seeing the Switch is roughly 2.5x as powerful as a WiiU(though it could be close, but we don't know how much overhead the WiiU had with its Monsterhunter, I guess if the game can run at 50-60FPS Capcom should go for 1080p with a 60 Lock, we'll live with occasional drops).

Only judging by the looks of it, the game should definitely be able to run at 1080p/60 on the Switch but who knows...

The Wii U port of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate ran at 1080p, and framerate fluctuated around 37 fps.

Kinsei

Banned

You probably had Monster Hunter mixed up with Monster Rancher in your head.

Why won't they bring back the best early game skill check? Quru pushed my shit in at least 10 times until I figured out his gimmick. Especially once he could
summon Deviljho

Man the more I think about this on my big screen, the more excited I get. Still wish Quru was in it.

I think Barroth was the real early game skill check in third gen. Neither of them can beat the Gen 1 Kut-Ku or Gen 2 Congalala though.

Congalala was a 2* monster that could 2 shot you.

aravuus

Speaking of jolly coop, how easy is it generally to match and fight monsters with random people in these games? Does it require communication, planning and party synergy to the extent that you really need to play with friends w/ mics, or is it closer to Souls games, where everyone can for the most part just do their own thing as long as they pay attention to the others, too? Coop is one of my favorite aspects of the Souls games and if it's anywhere near as fun in MH, I can see this becoming a new source of addiction for weeks.

Kyoufu

Speaking of jolly coop, how easy is it generally to match and fight monsters with random people in these games? Does it require communication, planning and party synergy to the extent that you really need to play with friends w/ mics, or is it closer to Souls games, where everyone can for the most part just do their own thing as long as they pay attention to the others, too? Coop is one of my favorite aspects of the Souls games and if it's anywhere near as fun in MH, I can see this becoming a new source of addiction for weeks.

You can do your own thing unless the lobby you've joined specifically calls for a certain strategy. Like for example, all gunner sleep bomb strategies exist for certain fights. If you don't have what's necessary to play your role in that strategy then don't join that lobby.

Kinsei

Banned

Incredibly easy to match up with others for specific monsters as the lobby search function lets you specify the monster you want to hunt. The monsters in the multiplayer are balanced for two people so you don;t really have to worry about randoms messing up too much. The exceptions to this are the end game deviants and the super hard (free) DLC quests. Even then they don't require communication, they just require everyone to be good at the game.

Ridley327

It's mostly the latter, though there are certain event fights where communication is very important for those who don't know the drill on how to properly fight them. Those fights have some different lose conditions in the form of structure health to consider, so it's actually important to know when to use countermeasures to prevent the bulk of the damage.

Syril

You can do some crazy shit with party synergy, but it's not required. In general people can do their own thing so long as they're mindful of other players. Friendly fire doesn't cause damage, but it does cause knockback, or with certain attacks, hard knockdowns. This can actually be helpful to break players out of immobilizing statuses.

mclem

0dfd5ceebde14f73ad43def6e5ab54f9.png

Bundle announced... that's a pretty dock there

"I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dock too!"

aravuus

Thanks for the replies, coop sounds perfect! I would definitely expect the stronger monsters to require more than just a bunch of randoms flailing around but that's fine, as long as there's still a lot of content to enjoy 'casually' I'm happy.

Def buying a Switch on July. Hopefully we won't have to wait for this to come out in the west for too long.

tuffy

Watch the US version come Q2 2018, just because
It's worth reiterating that Switch games that are releasing globally on the same day like ARMS (June 16) and Splatoon 2 (July 21) are atypical Friday releases in Japan.

August 25 is also a Friday.

Toxi

Banned
It's the final monster, which
is a Neopteron.

Cartho

It's worth reiterating that Switch games that are releasing globally on the same day like ARMS (June 16) and Splatoon 2 (July 21) are atypical Friday releases in Japan.

s3L4bk9.gif

Is this a thing? When do games normally come out in Japan? I mean if they rarely come out in Japan on Fridays unless there is a global release then this coming out on Friday would seem to be highly suggestive. However why would they not just announce it as a global release? E3 mic drop?

tuffy

Is this a thing? When do games normally come out in Japan? I mean if they rarely come out in Japan on Fridays unless there is a global release then this coming out on Friday would seem to be highly suggestive. However why would they not just announce it as a global release? E3 mic drop?
Games often come out on Thursdays, but Monster Hunter Stories (October 8, 2016), MH:XX 3DS (March 18, 2017), Monster Hunter 4 (September 14, 2013) and Monster Hunter 4G (October 11, 2014) were all Saturday releases in Japan. XX Switch breaks that trend for some reason...

Pandy

I'm so ready for this, hope we don't have to wait long on the localisation.

Played the heck out of Tri and Tri Ultimate, but once the series moved to 3DS I just couldn't get used to the downsizing.

It's also worth noting that XX on 3DS came out on March 18th, also a Friday. Be careful with that comparison, it may lead to disappointment.

Edit: Ignore me, got my dates wrong. It was a Saturday, same as other MH releases. Definitely unusual.

Murkas

It's like Souls in the fact that everyone does their own thing, you can spam pre set messages to alert people what is going on. In MH if you get KO'd 3 times in a quest then you fail, in coop you all share that 3 KO limit so you can easily have a guy in your team who has no idea how to play or is just that poor die 3 times and fail it for the whole team. Nice easy way to piss you off, common process after that is the host kicks the bad player out (and the other 2 rage quit -_-). But you're just as likely to have a lobby full of experts and when you call come together and work without even communicating, it's a good feeling.

This series are like a 11 year long addiction for me and I don't see it stopping.

Top Bottom