• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Rancher 1 port due out in 2019 in Japan

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Koei Tecmo will release a port of the original Monster Rancher, which first launched for the original PlayStation on July 24, 1997 in Japan, for unannounced platform(s) in 2019, the company announced.

The word used for its release is “haishin,” which is a Japanese word that indicates a digital release. That means it will either be a smartphone title or a digital-only console / PC title. Or all of the above.

SweetShark

Very strange....

If I remember right you could take a unique monster if you could put a random CD in your PSX each time.

How they will replicate that function?

I fucking adored this game. Pretty sure it was the reason I got into internet forums, so we could share our CD discoveries and such.

It'd be interesting to check it out again.

Nymphae

Banned
It was a great idea, but I remember trying a lot of discs and just getting a lot of generic monsters. There were a few rare ones though, it was cool to spend a day going through your stuff to see if you could get any rare monsters.

Bullet Club

Banned
Monster Rancher port confirmed for Switch

Other platforms still unconfirmed.

The October 2019 issue of Japanese magazine Nintendo Dream confirms that the recently announced port of the original Monster Rancher will be available for Switch via the Nintendo Shop when it launches later in 2019 in Japan.

However, it should be noted that considering Nintendo Dream is a Nintendo hardware-only magazine, it is possible that the port will also be available for additional platforms.

Visit the teaser website here.

Source: Gematsu

Cool! I loved Monster Rancher. How are they doing the monster generation though? Can I load the forest gump soundtrack from Spotify to get my rare Dino?

Conan-san

Oh that's kinda neat. Presumably it's gonna connect (or have a local copy) of some CD Database and generate the data that way with a few predetermined ones (your DOA Pixie for example)

Cool! I loved Monster Rancher. How are they doing the monster generation though? Can I load the forest gump soundtrack from Spotify to get my rare Dino?

yeah, I remember trying this a little way back then and putting in bunch of different CDs for monsters. how they gona work that in now? or more importantly, how can they make another Monster Rancher for the current gen and still keep that mechanic with the gaming eco-systems these days leaning hard towards full digital?

Bullet Club

Banned
Monster Rancher port first details, screenshots

Due out later in 2019 for Switch and smartphones.

Koei Tecmo has released the first official information and screenshots of the Monster Rancher port due out for Switch, iOS, and Android later in 2019 in Japan. As previously announced, it will be a digital-only title and cost 1,900 yen.

USzwDrF.jpg

These are the key features of the port:

1. Enjoy everything from the original release without change, from monster generation to breeding and battles.
The monster generation, breeding, and battles that are the defining traits of the Monster Rancher series reappear without change in today’s environment. With your smartphone or Switch, you can generate monsters anywhere, anytime. Monster generation and battles can even be enjoyed in a way that utilizes an online environment.
2. Raise generated monsters and battle against other players’ monsters.
You can download and battle against the monsters raised by other players. Additionally, the Switch version allows two players to battle against each other by splitting the Joy-Cons. The Monster Rancher port reproduces the way players can battle the monsters raised between them.
3. A new method of “monster generation” introduced.
The Monster Rancher series’ biggest feature is the ability to generate monsters from CDs, but CD playback is not supported on smartphones or Switch, so in order to replicate this feature, you can generate monsters by searching for CD names and artists from a custom database via the network.
A rare monster generated from a certain CD from 20 years ago. “If I use this CD, or this artist, then that rare monster will be born.” “What sort of monster will this CD bring to life?” It is that sort of fun and nostalgia that will be properly reproduced in this port. The range of that fun will be expanded to music that has been released in the last 20 years.

Additionally, Koei Tecmo is running a campaign from August 22 to September 30 asking fans which monsters it wants to be generated from which CDs. You can fill out a form consisting of CD title or song, artist name, monster race, and the reason you believe that monster should be born from that CD, and your idea may be used for the game. Fill out the form here.

View the screenshots at the gallery.

Source: Gematsu

Top Bottom