• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moon Girl Is The Smartest Person In The Marvel Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

MARVEL Wants You To Know MOON GIRL Is The Smartest Person In The Marvel Universe

Marvel_NOW_catalog_51.jpg
Marvel Comics has demonstratively pushed to diversify their superhero line the last couple of years - a push that seems to continue to gain steam. Now the publisher is seemingly making a point to call attention what they announced somewhat innocuously at Comic-Con International: San Diego on Sunday - that none of the usual braintrust of Reed Richard (or his daughter Valeria), Tony Stark, Peter Parker, Amadeus Cho, T’Challa, or even Doctor Doom for that matter, are considered the smartest person in the Marvel Universe. Instead, Marvel’s top genius is officially (or at least will be) little Lunella Lafeyette, the nine-year-old hero of Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur.

The announcement of Lunella’s status was made, somewhat off-handedly, in SDCC’s Women of Marvel panel by Marvel’s Director of Content and Character Development Sana Amanat, who may be best known as one of the co-creators of the current Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan, the character that may have been the flashpoint for Marvel's aggressive diversity push.

"Moon Girl will discover she's the smartest person in the Marvel Universe at only 9 years old," said Amanat Sunday, referring to an upcoming story in the planned relaunch of Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur as part of "Marvel NOW!"

Interestingly and importantly, Lunella isn’t just the smartest person in the Marvel Universe, she’s also black and female – two characteristics not typical for the Marvel’s usual cast of super-geniuses. Female scienctific super-genuises are rare for either of the two major comic book publishers, relatively even more so, in fact, than black super-genuines. The role has been historically filled by males, a product of both major publishers' superhero lines' birth in the late 30s and early 60s, respectively.

It was not made clear how Lunella earns the lofty status of being the smartest person in the Marvel Universe, whether it’s a product of great minds like Reed Richards, Tony Stark, and Bruce Banner potentially being off the table because of the events of Secret Wars or the possible outcome of Civil War II, or if she discovers she's just plain smarter than everyone else.

So, is this something we can expect them to actually do something with on a universe level, or something that will be relegated to "interesting fact"? Genuinely asking, I don't really know what to expect of Marvel comics.

Marvel characters are at their best when they're relatable. When you can say "cool, that person is just like me, but wrapped up in this incredible circumstance".

Who relates to the smartest person in the world? No one relates to abstractions. It's why stories about saving the whole universe are boring.

Sheentak

Marvel characters are at their best when they're relatable. When you can say "cool, that person is just like me, but wrapped up in this incredible circumstance".

Who relates to the smartest person in the world? No one relates to abstractions. It's why stories about saving the whole universe are boring.

Yup it's why big events always suck but a run like miss marvel is great.

Raw IQ versus knowledge.

It doesn't really work like that though as if you understand every thread of every potential outcome you probably by definition have a much higher IQ. Spacial awareness, pattern recognition etc. Would all fall under omnipotence no?

I could understand her being the most creative or unique thinker and smarter than the rest of the traditional Marvel cast. But someone who's omnipotent, I just can't see it.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Raw IQ versus knowledge. You can probably argue even an all-knowing being doesn't necessarily have the highest intelligence.

But... they know everything. Maybe I'm thinking of a different kind of omnipotence/omniscience, but when you know everything that's just sort of it. Someone who does not know everything, and is very very smart is just not going to be able to use their smarts in anyway that dethrone you. Because you'll also just know what they are thinking, and how they thought it, and why.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
im gonna need receipts, not words. they tried this with valeria and that went nowhere

But... they know everything. Maybe I'm thinking of a different kind of omnipotence/omniscience, but when you know everything that's just sort of it. Someone who does not know everything, and is very very smart is just not going to be able to use their smarts in anyway that dethrone you. Because you'll also just know what they are thinking, and how they thought it, and why.

I'm more just pointing out a stupid technicality that could be argued. :p

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

Fair enough, I mean the whole measuring of smartness is a sort of silly trope anyway in Marvel, I still enjoy it - I think it can probably be used in a really fun and clever way with a 9 year old black girl. It's not the same 30 something white dude who is a billionaire tech genius playboy. I think that's already been done once or twice - I don't mind it, I just also don't mind variety.

Sblargh

Banned
Yes! Very fun book! Very well written character!

As much as I love Valeria Richards, Hickman kind of wrote her like a tiny adult who sometimes is self-conscious about being a kid.
Lunella not only is a certified Marvel super-genius, but that doesn't stop her from being a kid. I think tier lists in comics are silly (the most powerful or smart is always who the writer of the moment wants it to be), but hey, whatever calls attention to this excellent comic.

I guess something that can be argued is someone with omnipotence usually looks at the universe in a significantly different way and thus doesn't apply their knowledge/intellect in the same way. The omnipotent being is traditionally very apathetic as they look at everything as a macrocosm instead of a microcosm. The usual Omnipotence can be a crutch too argument.

Kaiterra

Banned
All 9-year-olds come to realize that they are the smartest person in the world and everyone else is a big dummy at some point.

Averon

Marvel have a huge roster of "super geniuses" if you add heroes and villains. Makes it impossible to make any sort of clear ranking.

I've never heard of her. Though admittedly I don't follow comics other than the occasional graphic novel a few times a year. Love the idea of a little 9 year old girl being the smartest person in the Marvel Universe though. Very cool.

BigDes

I've never heard of her. Though admittedly I don't follow comics other than the occasional graphic novel a few times a year. Love the idea of a little 9 year old girl being the smartest person in the Marvel Universe though. Very cool.

She is an Inhuman

Her power is she has a pet T-Rex. You might be all that's not a power but really you're going to argue with a girl with the T-Rex?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Marvel have a huge roster of "super geniuses" if you add heroes and villains. Makes it impossible to make any sort of clear ranking.

If they're not a super genius, they're a top tier martial artist.

Smart people in comics are only there to:

1. Turn evil (at which point they will grow a really long beard) or absorbed by some evil.
  2. Turn socially unlikable
  3. Turn into a sidekick
  4. Prove that being smart means nothing if you don't have guts/brawns/hearts/courage.
  5. Create their own misfortune for being too smart.
  6. Somehow stay a kid forever.

besada

Banned
Well, Valeria's already smarter than Doom or Richards, so does the list start with two little girls? Will there be a science battle between Valeria and Lunella? Please?

BigDes

I don't think you can count Valeria as the smartest person in the Marvel universe at the moment because I think she got bored and left

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Well, Valeria's already smarter than Doom or Richards, so does the list start with two little girls? Will there be a science battle between Valeria and Lunella? Please?

Suddenly I want this more than any comic book story in the world.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

for her sake, valeria better be.

You have been reading long enough to know how things like this go.

with words and ideas that are dropped at the sight of a new writing team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom