• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More details on the Xbox One Headset Adapter

MCD

Our last article stirred up a good discussion on reddit, in which Microsoft’s own Albert Penello chimed in. Here is what we learned:

•The headset adapter overrides the controller timeout, so so you won’t lose a beat while watching TV or Netflix with audio through the controller.

•The headset adapter supports separate audio streams for split screen mutliplayer. This means each player will hear their own chat and game audio through their controller. Titles like COD Ghosts already support this feature on PS4.

•Microsoft opted for “higher quality stereo” versus virtual surround. In Penello’s own words:

For now, the adapter transmits only stereo audio. Keep in mind, when you’re dealing with only two speakers, and we chose higher quality stereo vs a virtual surround, since the advantage of surround isn’t obvious until you get into very high-end discreet speaker headphones. We are discussing some sort of virtual surround, but I think the high quality Stereo sound (the Bass on our headset is amazing), plus great chat, and the adapter for $80 is a pretty great product.

•When asked if Digital Sound Processing (i.e. for virtual surround) would be available later, he said yes, it’s possible. It is a software feature, not a limit of the hardware.

http://www.gamerawr.com/2014/02/24/...more-details-on-the-xbox-one-headset-adapter/

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1yqo72/xbox_one_headsets_surround_sound_adapters_fact/

And here is Gamerawr's previous article regarding headset adapters, surround and stereo sound confusion:

http://www.gamerawr.com/2014/02/23/xbox-one-headsets-surround-sound-adapters-fact-fiction/

Very informative and good read before buying your first headset for X1 or even the PS4.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I'm trying to understand, this adapter that they're trying to sell us, is it going to push game audio to any headeset we plug into it, rather than just their proprietary set of headphones?

Bsigg12

I'm trying to understand, this adapter that they're trying to sell us, is it going to push game audio to any headeset we plug into it, rather than just their proprietary set of headphones?

Yes. Any 3.5mm jack will receive game audio. Any pair with inline mic will also get chat.

knitoe

That's kinda awesome that PS4 (didn't know before) and X1 supports separate audio stream. In a game, like COD, where sound whoring is a big deal, I can final play split screen without feeling I am at a huge disadvantage.

rob305

Why didn't they use a 3.5mm jack in the controller and built those adapter buttons into the controller in the first place? The adapter is nice and I will end up grabbing it but this will piss people off especially considering controllers are getting more and more expensive with each generation

jwk94

That's kinda awesome that PS4 (didn't know before) and X1 supports separate audio stream. In a game, like COD, where sound whoring is a big deal, I can final play split screen without feeling I am at a huge disadvantage.

Yeah it's fantastic on PS4. I've used it to watch movies with both my friend and I having our headsets on and chatting through party chat.

Bsigg12

Why didn't they use a 3.5mm jack in the controller and built those adapter buttons into the controller in the first place? The adapter is nice and I will end up grabbing it but this will piss people off especially considering controllers are getting more and more expensive with each generation

A mix of wanting to make it an accessory for the money and also making a proprietary slot that could also handle things like chatpads.

Tazo

Do Apple's earbuds use 3.5mm or 2.5mm connectors? Do we need to add the additional plug to get Apple earbuds to work on the controller?

Already have one of these preordered. Being able to use my Sennheisers for game audio and chat is well worth the price. Sure, it would've been nice if it didn't require an adapter, but I'll still take it.

The_Afroman

They need to just add Dolby Digital 5.1 out of the optical out, so i can use my Turtle Beach PX5 set. No way i'm paying 80 bucks, LOL.

i just made my own adapter to play Titanfall.

BZvZ5vQ.png
zWG9GVI.png

catmario

Do Apple's earbuds use 3.5mm or 2.5mm connectors? Do we need to add the additional plug to get Apple earbuds to work on the controller?

Apple earbuds uses 3.5mm, but I think something unique module is used in Apple's earbuds.

I plugged earbuds to PS4's DualShock 4, In-game sound and chat sound works well, but microphone was not worked.

"In Penello's own words"
Should quoting someone from an article who would surely get banned here were he ever to return because of previous bulk lying/FUD-spreading/insider speaking disproved bullshit even be allowed as content you can post? (Serious question)

Bsigg12

Should quoting someone from an article who would surely get banned here were he ever to return because of previous bulk lying/FUD-spreading/insider speaking disproved bullshit even be allowed as content you can post? (Serious question)

He was here 2 weeks ago when they announced the adapter.

Pretty cool that they're doing audio to headsets through the controller. Could have been something they communicated as a reason why current headsets that being used with 360's weren't going to work the same way.

Neverfade

So, if I'm reading this correctly, my 5.1 Turtle Beaches won't mean shit because there's no 5.1 to even pipe to the damn things?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bit surprised with the lack of virtual surround, given their SHAPE audio chip being apparently so powerful. I guess they just didn't have time to put it in and are using the PR answer to mask it.

Bsigg12

Bit surprised with the lack of virtual surround, given their SHAPE audio chip being apparently so powerful. I guess they just didn't have time to put it in and are using the PR answer to mask it.

They have Polk, Triton and Turtle Beach all stuck with product because this adapter wasn't ready. They are getting this out there so those companies can start moving their new headsets for the Xbox One.

As for surround sound support through the controller, I think it'll come in the summer after E3.

Bsigg12

And he wasn't banned? Woah. I thought a few of the only "hard" rules were "don't pretend you know stuff you don't" and "don't lie if you know stuff" = instant bans.

He was dragged through the streets for the pre launch statements. When he was on here about the adapter he was trying to clarify some of the terrible PR the marketing team put out with the announcement of the adapter.

So. Does anyone know if the Sony Gold Wireless headset would work (both for chat and game audio) with the adapter? Going by this interview, it would seem to be the case.

kahi

When is this out? Amazon you can't order but it says today. MS Store you can't order but it says today. Wal-mart says 2/28. Best Buy says 3/9 and Gamestop says 3/7.

Special C

I use the optical out on my TV for my Turtle Beaches, but I recently heard that it doesn't transmit surround sound that way. Is that true?

Daffy Duck

I use the optical out on my TV for my Turtle Beaches, but I recently heard that it doesn't transmit surround sound that way. Is that true?

This is true, it does not output Dolby Digital from the Optical out on the console, no word on when it will get fixed, but we've been told it will be fixed.

angelic

Banned
This is true, it does not output Dolby Digital from the Optical out on the console, no word on when it will get fixed, but we've been told it will be fixed.

Wait, what? This is laughable...and theyre introducing a stereo headset as a big thing. Just...wow. As a recent convert to 5.1 headphones on 306/ps3/ps4 im amazed. I assumed the bone would support it.

JaggedSac

They needed that port on the controller so you could plug in the fortalezza headset and get audio and chat and power and other data to and from the console.

I cant even get my PX5 headset to work through the optical, even though i have set the optical out to 'stereo'. Not sure why, wroks with erverythign else. Hopefully this adapter will allow me to use em.

malfcn

albert said:
I can still see a lot of confusion. Partially it stems from the variety of implementations in the market, as well as different usage and expectations from the term "Surround Sound".

First point - we do downmix (or "folddown" as I was told by the audio engineers) the surround signals from the console to the headset. This means, if there is discrete audio coming from a center or rear channel, its mixed into the stereo signal you hear.

So while this does provide the surround audio, we don't like to call it "surround sound" since the expectation from consumers may be that we are doing some sort of processing to simulate the surround staging.

Virtual Surround is when processing is done to simulate a multi-channel stage using two speakers. We currently do not have SW that does any sort of Virtual Surround. This is something we are looking into, and if we implement it the Adapter and Headset you buy today will work just fine and you'll get the benefits of any SW update.

There may be some 3rd party headset that has custom hardware to take the stereo mix from the adapter and simulate some surround effect, but I'm not sure.

For those that want Virtual Surround - when we release the Dolby update for HDMI/Optical, most of the existing gaming headsets will work just as they did on Xbox 360 - taking the DolbyDigital signal and doing virtual surround processing on it. For people that have those headsets, you will need to get the audio adapter for chat to function on Xbox One.

with all that said, I encourage people to try the headset when it comes out. Its a mid-priced headset with a great quality speaker, is super comfortable, and comes with the adapter. I've listened to a bunch of headsets back-to-back and the team did a great job.

Source.

I'm curious to know what folks with Astros or Trittons have been fairing so far with xbone. PS4's support of these headsets and the fact that nothing has to be connected to controller in order for you to hear game chat is awesome.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Just waiting for the day I don't have to plug my Sennheisers to the Astro mixamp then to the One. Getting tired of all these connections just to use my headset.

Ecto311

When is this out? Amazon you can't order but it says today. MS Store you can't order but it says today. Wal-mart says 2/28. Best Buy says 3/9 and Gamestop says 3/7.

I got an email that mine shipped today from microsoft. I ordered it the same day it went live on the site.

coldfoot

Banned
This is confusing. Technically there is no difference between "higher quality stereo" and "virtual surround", both are just two discrete signals for left and right ear. The "5.1 headphones" which have more than one driver per ear are all shit, the best surround with headphones is still achieved with only two drivers (*cue the barber shop demo.).

The only difference between "higher quality stereo" vs. "virtual surround" is how the game audio is generated and encoded. It's all software.

Top Bottom