• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Microtransactions, from the fine folks at EAsports! BOHICA TIME

DaddyZ said:
BOHICA TIME

i thought this was about fine puerto rican women

boriqua.gif

It starts...

If the jersies are already made, they should be included with the game. Oh well, you can always count on EA to be the first to jump on a money making bandwagon (almost first, bethesda).

Lo-Volt

I never supported these thieves anyway. Certainly not after that FN03 dross, my first and last time buying anything with the EA logo on it. I'm not going to gush with sympathy for those who know that EA is made up of highwaymen and support their newest installments anyway; they ultimately have themselves to blame for that.

Lee N

Membre
davepoobond said:

Off topic in this thread, but it has been bugging me for a while. Who is that dude in your avatar? He totally reminds me about Redd White in Phoenix Wright.

ani-redd-bling.gif

D3VI0US

BOHICA my ass, only the most hardcore of football meatheads will want to buy alternate jerseys and to that chump I say go for it. Only crybabies would complain about it cause they want it but don't want to pay. You already paid for NCAA this year, and last year, and the year before, at this point you have no right to complain about the greedy monster your dumb ass created. Cheers.

tegdf

**** EA, this is why I haven't bought an EA game in a while, plus most of their games suck balls

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
This is next-gen. Microtransactions are here to stay. Oblivion started this shit and GRAW kept it going. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. All the companies are testing this out to see exactly what the consumer will buy and for how much. If purchase numbers are low, they will figure it isn't worth the bad press and forget about it. But as long as people are buying, they will be selling.

It isn't an EA thing it is a next-gen thing. Everyone will try something similiar to see if the consumer will buy it. I am not buying shit. I will buy the game and that is it. If you don't like it, do the same. But looking at the list of people posting in this thread, most people had no intention of buying the game in the first place.

Mrbob

dskillzhtown said:
This is next-gen. Microtransactions are here to stay. Oblivion started this shit and GRAW kept it going. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. All the companies are testing this out to see exactly what the consumer will buy and for how much. If purchase numbers are low, they will figure it isn't worth the bad press and forget about it. But as long as people are buying, they will be selling.

It isn't an EA thing it is a next-gen thing. Everyone will try something similiar to see if the consumer will buy it. I am not buying shit. I will buy the game and that is it. If you don't like it, do the same. But looking at the list of people posting in this thread, most people had no intention of buying the game in the first place.

Exactly. This is no worse than Bethesda offering horse armor. Let us all stop playing Oblivion now.

Actually I do blame the people who bought horse armor, because Bethesda started this trend of bullshit microtransaction items and people bit on it.

I am not liking this trend, but I knew it was inevitable. As mentioned, if consumers go for this, it will only continue and possibly get worse. If not, then developers will probably slow down or stop altogether. I can visualize it now. In DOA5, the game will come with a total of 10 characters and 8 backgrounds for $60. In the future, you will be able to download the remaining 10 characters for a paltry $5 apiece. If you want 3rd outfits and beyond, that will cost you $3.00 each for the men and $4.00 each for the women. Any future levels will cost you $10 to make since they take so long to develop.

aerofx

A_Lee_N said:
Off topic in this thread, but it has been bugging me for a while. Who is that dude in your avatar? He totally reminds me about Redd White in Phoenix Wright.

ani-redd-bling.gif

cool, where can I get more phoenix wright animated gifs?

Micro-transactions is the worst concept introduced in to gaming in this upcoming generation. Downloadable content should be a free carrot dangled before a gamer to get them to buck up for the game the content is for, it shouldn't be something these companies use to nickle and dime their consumers. Downloadable content should most certainly not be standard content we've gotten for free in the past.

I shudder to think how companies are going to use and abuse DLC on both the Xbox 360 and PS3 throughout this entire upcoming generation, we're already getting hints of it now with shite like this.

Ultimately the best thing anyone here can do is simply not support this business model if you find it so repugnant. I don't buy or play sports games so that'll be easy for me :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wow, I'm really glad I have no interest in sports. That should save me money.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Andokuky said:
:lol @ all the EA hate.

I forgot they are the only company on Earth who tries to make money.

The way they're making money here is despicable. I don't even play these games, but paying extra for something that usually comes on the disc (and will come on the disc in current gen versions?) is an abuse of the model. I would say that the platform holders ought to step in and regulate to a degree, but I'm also all for a free market - but hopefully people don't fall for this crap and allow them to continue doing this. If not, and if this keeps continuing then there should be some rules, definitely.

EA is trying to push things as far as they can here. Don't let them set a precedent.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
a more important question is ... WHO IS BUYING THIS HORSE SHIT!?

seriously, i'm pretty hard core with buying any old crap, but even i draw the line at horse armour - so WHO the FRIG is buying it?!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DCharlie said:
a more important question is ... WHO IS BUYING THIS HORSE SHIT!?

seriously, i'm pretty hard core with buying any old crap, but even i draw the line at horse armour - so WHO the FRIG is buying it?!

They don't need many to buy it to make this viable and worth their while, unfortunately. It's pointless me saying "don't let them set a precedent", cos all it takes is a relatively small group of eejits to encourage them to continue doing it. Well, that'll actually increasingly be the case, at least, as the audience grows. Meanwhile the rest of us suffer.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I would say piracy has done far more damage to the industry than microtransactions. Don't buy the upgrades. It is that simple.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
We should start a GAF riot/boycott against microtransactions like these. PGR3's mircotransactions were fine but this is horrible.

HOW ABOUT IT GAF?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DenogginizerOS said:
I would say piracy has done far more damage to the industry than microtransactions.

Microtransactions haven't really had the chance yet..they're just warming up ;) :p

But in both cases, it's the people who actually spend money on the games legitimately that are suffering. We suffer with higher prices partially because of piracy (or at least that's the claim), and now we suffer incomplete games because of stunts like this. Are we the fools, the paying customers?

The sad thing is that the microtransaction model, the episodic model, could be utterly fantastic for everyone in the industry, including consumers if used properly. Unfortunately I think this new generation could be a rather uncomfortable period of adjustment as things shake out - get used to publishers trying to push things to the limit.

Andokuky

Banned
gofreak said:
The way they're making money here is despicable. I don't even play these games, but paying extra for something that usually comes on the disc (and will come on the disc in current gen versions?) is an abuse of the model. I would say that the platform holders ought to step in and regulate to a degree, but I'm also all for a free market - but hopefully people don't fall for this crap and allow them to continue doing this. If not, and if this keeps continuing then there should be some rules, definitely.

EA is trying to push things as far as they can here. Don't let them set a precedent.

I don't see how this is any worse than horse armor in Oblivion. Also, next gen development is much more expensive than EA using the same engine on the PS2 version for the 5th (maybe 6th) straight year and then porting it to Xbox. So I don't see any problem with them trying to get more money out of the versions that cost them more money to make. I wouldn't buy it, but I don't see a problem with it.

Every company does it, first you had Oblivion now GRAW has a pretty expensive piece of DLC that doesn't add much. Or you could look at Sony with SOCOM, for starters on SOCOM 2 you had a buy a $100 HDD and then $30 worth of crappy OPSM magazines to get "free" map discs. Now on SOCOM 3 they are recharging you for those exact same maps, at $5.95 for 3 maps. And after these 3 maps, you get charged for maps that you already bought two times on the same platform with SOCOM and SOCOM 2.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Andokuky said:
I don't see how this is any worse than horse armor in Oblivion.

I guess it's because it's so utterly transparent that this content could have been included on the disc in the first place. Maybe the horse armour was long planned and could have been on the disc too in Oblivion's case - if so, shame on Bethesda (although it's not like they were leaving you wanting for content relative to the standard anyway).

The difference here is that they're taking something that normally comes as standard and putting it online at an extra cost (all the while you pay another $10 for the game versus the usual prices).

Andokuky said:
Also, next gen development is much more expensive than EA using the same engine on the PS2 version for the 5th (maybe 6th) straight year and then porting it to Xbox. So I don't see any problem with them trying to get more money out of the versions that cost them more money to make.

And they do - they charge you more at retail. And on top of that they're now taking expected features that are ready pre-release and artificially with-holding them so they can charge more for them. That's the problem.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
gofreak said:
Microtransactions haven't really had the chance yet..they're just warming up ;) :p

But in both cases, it's the people who actually spend money on the games legitimately that are suffering. We suffer with higher prices partially because of piracy (or at least that's the claim), and now we suffer incomplete games because of stunts like this. Are we the fools, the paying customers?

Technically, most of the microtransactions have been cosmetic. Themes, pics, cars, equine fashion statements, and now uniforms. The GRAW and COD2 upgrades have been more than expected, but many fans of these games seem to be grateful that they are getting more out of their games. The pricing is what I am probably put off by the most. I think $15 for the GRAW upgrade was a bit steep. Having said all of this, as long as the microtransactions are not REQUIRED to maintain the core balance of the game online or off, I will just continue to buy what I need and ignore what I don't.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just to be clear, I don't have a general problem with microtransactions. Like I said, I think they can and could be awesome if used properly, for everyone. But I do have a problem with stuff specifically like this.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
why isnt amirox in here whining about THIS bullshit ruining the industry.

he's secretly away playing Animal Crossing whilst stabbing himself in the ass with a fork.

Just to be clear, I don't have a general problem with microtransactions. Like I said, I think they can and could be awesome if used properly, for everyone. But I do have a problem with stuff specifically like this.

indeed - and it's hard if not impossible to regulate. Games companies need to show some responsibility next gen - with prices going up across the board, they cannot and should not take the piss.

Andokuky

Banned
gofreak said:
I guess it's because it's so utterly transparent that this content could have been included on the disc in the first place. Maybe the horse armour was long planned and could have been on the disc too in Oblivion's case - if so, shame on Bethesda (although it's not like they were leaving you wanting for content relative to the standard anyway).

It's not utterly transparent, we're still having "next gen" sports games across the board that don't even match current gen versions in terms of features. "could have been included on the disc" could apply to plenty of DLC. Who is to say Bethesda couldn't add their armor in? Who is to say Ubisoft couldn't have added the skins and weapons and maps they are charing for before the game shipped? Who is to say Sony and Zipper couldn't have included the maps they are re-charing you $6 for now?

The difference here is that they're taking something that normally comes as standard and putting it online at an extra cost (all the while you pay another $10 for the game versus the usual prices).

Same as every other 360 title that has DLC. Cars usually come standard free in a racing game but PGR3 charges you for extra ones. Armor for characters in an RPG is free in every one I have played but not in Oblivion. Weapons and maps are free in shooters but not GRAW or SOCOM. And SOCOM even retails for $10 less than the normal $50.

And they do - they charge you more at retail. And on top of that they're now taking expected features that are ready pre-release and artificially with-holding them so they can charge more for them. That's the problem.

Again, who is to say what is ready and what isn't? Sports games still aren't matching current gen versions in terms of content, I would much rather them focus on giving me a Superstar mode in Madden 2007 rather than giving me a throwback Broncos jersey to wear. And then later if they release those jerseys for a fee, that's great for people dedicated enough to download them but I wouldn't. I would see a point if this was something vital but it's jerseys, just like it was horse armor in Oblivion. No difference imho.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Andokuky said:
It's not utterly transparent, we're still having "next gen" sports games across the board that don't even match current gen versions in terms of features. "could have been included on the disc" could apply to plenty of DLC. Who is to say Bethesda couldn't add their armor in? Who is to say Ubisoft couldn't have added the skins and weapons and maps they are charing for before the game shipped? Who is to say Sony and Zipper couldn't have included the maps they are re-charing you $6 for now?

I covered the Oblivion case.

Obviously we don't have insight into when content was made in every case. But I think here is a pretty clear case. I don't buy that they couldn't put these on the disc (and it'll be obvious if they're online from day one).

I have no problem with developers, post-release, working on new content and releasing it to the public for a (reasonable) price (as long as they're not artificially putting back the development of certain content - "holding it" for microtransactions. In other words, as long as the core game was a best effort). That's fair. But I think cases like this REEK of an abuse of the model. And I'm not saying EA are alone in this, and if they are, they certainly won't be for long - but that doesn't mean they're beyond reprimand or criticism for it. In fact, if anything is worth criticism right now, it's this.

Koomaster

This kind of microtransaction is more like stealing from the consumer. Stuff we would normally get for free otherwise. I mean, we are already paying more for next-gen games, and are going start getting LESS for our money? I would like to know what exec woke up in bizarro world and thought this was an okay model.

This next gen is starting out shamefully.

Koomaster said:
I would like to know what exec woke up in bizarro world and thought this was an okay model.

Probably the one who saw how much money Bethesda made off of that horse armor. And the one who saw how is good friend, working in the cellphone ringtone and wallpaper industry, was bathing in money at night.

Mrbob

You didn't cover the case, gofreak. Horse Armor has been in the works since E3, it should have been on the disc. Bethesda is the dispicable company who lead this trend, if I shall use your words. EA saw what Bethesda raked in on horse armor, and now wants a piece of the action. All the extras with Morrowind were available at no charge, yet we are getting microstransactioned up the ass with Oblivion. So you can't say the difference is EA is taking stuff off the disc and selling it seperately when Bethesda did the same thing, and did it first. They are the trendsetter.

Most people don't give a sheet about alternate jerseys, so if EA wants to sell them seperately fine. I won't be buying them.

I think both of these packs are bullshit, and the market should bear all this stuff out. Unfortunately it sounds like horse armor sold well, as the Bethesda employees at this very forum joke about how well it sold, so it seems like this is the future.

Acosta

Micro-transactions is a new model, and as every new model it will need tweakings.

If people buy the alternative jerseys... well, what I can say? if not, and EA get a nasty response, they won´t do it again.

You didn't cover the case, gofreak. Horse Armor has been in the works since E3, it should have been on the disc. Bethesda is the dispicable company who lead this trend, if I shall use your words. EA saw what Bethesda raked in on horse armor, and now wants a piece of the action. All the extras with Morrowind were available at no charge, yet we are getting microstransactioned up the ass with Oblivion. So you can't say the difference is EA is taking stuff off the disc and selling it seperately when Bethesda did the same thing, and did it first. They are the trendsetter.

I remember some years ago I could take a coffee for 50 pesetas (the old currency of Spain), now it uses to be 1 Euro (that is 165 pesetas). That is a high increase.

This happens, what before was cheaper now is more expensive. Bethesda has all the right of the world to ask money for horse armor if they desire. Market will decide if it´s worth or not (and It seems it have decided for "yes"). Speaking about the "good old times" won´t change anything, this is the present and this is how market works.

I feel it´s pretty worthless to complain about the topic. Take it, or not.

Andokuky said:
Cars usually come standard free in a racing game but PGR3 charges you for extra ones.
The ones they made after the game launched.
Andokuky said:
Armor for characters in an RPG is free in every one I have played but not in Oblivion.
Andokuky said:
Weapons and maps are free in shooters but not GRAW or SOCOM. And SOCOM even retails for $10 less than the normal $50.

You see where I'm going with this.

Now, either every developer on Earth is lying through their teeth, or nearly all of them have adopted a production model in which the game that is shipped is only around 85% of their workload. I went through all of this at WipeoutZone when the DLC came out for Pure.

But if all you little Scullys and all you little Mulders want to BELIEVE that there's a vast conspiracy to bilk you out of your hard earned money by sitting on tetrabytes of unreleased content when they launch a game, go right ahead.

Obviously, there are cases where it seems pretty obvious that this stuff was ready at launch, but even then, I wouldn't be so sure. Who's to say that even though the LOTR maps are available day one to download that they actually would've been ready to be pressed on the retail disc. Maybe they needed another week of QA, which they'd written into the schedule, knowing that they'd be holding off those maps as DLC.

But it is, as ever, perilously amusing to watch some of you connect the dots to form a picture of what's really going on.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
This thread breaks the indignation meter, and it's not even officially announced yet. Calm down people. There are much greater problems in the world than companies trying to maximize their revenue in novel ways. That's never going to stop.

Vark

BenjaminBirdie said:

You see where I'm going with this.

Now, either every developer on Earth is lying through their teeth, or nearly all of them have adopted a production model in which the game that is shipped is only around 85% of their workload. I went through all of this at WipeoutZone when the DLC came out for Pure.

But if all you little Scullys and all you little Mulders want to BELIEVE that there's a vast conspiracy to bilk you out of your hard earned money by sitting on tetrabytes of unreleased content when they launch a game, go right ahead.

Obviously, there are cases where it seems pretty obvious that this stuff was ready at launch, but even then, I wouldn't be so sure. Who's to say that even though the LOTR maps are available day one to download that they actually would've been ready to be pressed on the retail disc. Maybe they needed another week of QA, which they'd written into the schedule, knowing that they'd be holding off those maps as DLC.

But it is, as ever, perilously amusing to watch some of you connect the dots to form a picture of what's really going on.

I think part of the problem is the lack of transparency in the industry. People have absolutely NO concept of how long some shit takes, what things cost, or what a games schedule looks like.

The development community really only has itself to blame on that one, but we're all bound by some NDA or another.

That being said, EA's Microtransactions do seem a little shadier than most and the GRAW Map Pack is a little steep (lord knows I didn't buy it).

All this stuff will sort itself out over time. Prices and amount of content offered will be continually adjusted, even more so as the userbase grows.

Mrbob

Gaijin To Ronin said:
Micro-transactions is a new model, and as every new model it will need tweakings.

If people buy the alternative jerseys... well, what I can say? if not, and EA get a nasty response, they won´t do it again.

I remember some years ago I could take a coffee for 50 pesetas (the old currency of Spain), now it uses to be 1 Euro (that is 165 pesetas). That is a high increase.

This happens, what before was cheaper now is more expensive. Bethesda has all the right of the world to ask money for horse armor if they desire. Market will decide if it´s worth or not (and It seems it have decided for "yes"). Speaking about the "good old times" won´t change anything, this is the present and this is how market works.

I feel it´s pretty worthless to complain about the topic. Take it, or not.

It is the bullshit anti EA crap that continues to permeate this forum. EA is horrible company for selling alternate jerseys, but let us all of us laugh and have a pint of beer at Bethesda selling horse armor. Bethesda can do what they want, I'm not really complaining about them selling stuff extra as much as I'm complaining about the double standard GAF has when it comes to EA.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mrbob said:
You didn't cover the case, gofreak. Horse Armor has been in the works since E3, it should have been on the disc.

If that's the case, then as I said, shame on Bethesda. If it could have been on the disc, it should have been. I thought it was something they worked on after release, but if I'm wrong on that, then yeah, that's no different from this (well, except that one might argue Oblivion didn't short change you in terms of content on the disc compared to its contemporaries or predecessors, while this game appears to be).

Zep

Banned
Well during an interview at e3 (gametrailers video, I think) one of the EA producers brought up buying alt. jerseys on the marketplace....I just didnt believe they would do something like that at the time.

Mrbob

gofreak said:
If that's the case, then as I said, shame on Bethesda. If it could have been on the disc, it should have been. I thought it was something they worked on after release, but if I'm wrong on that, then yeah, that's no different from this (well, except that one might argue Oblivion didn't short change you in terms of content on the disc compared to its contemporaries or predecessors, while this game appears to be).

EA needs to work more on making sure the gameplay in NCAA is solid (which it looks like it will be) than worrying about shortchanging content. These are alternate jerseys, it isn't as big of a deal as non sports fans EA haters try to make it out to be. It isn't affecting the core content of the gameplay at all. And ss far as content goes, that is all relative. I'll put more time in NCAA than I will in Oblivion, and about 5 times more in Madden than both games combined, so that really isn't a fair to do a direct comparison.

bdoughty

Banned
Mrbob said:
EA needs to work more on making sure the gameplay in NCAA is solid (which it looks like it will be) than worrying about shortchanging content. These are alternate jerseys, it isn't as big of a deal as non sports fans EA haters try to make it out to be. It isn't affecting the core content of the gameplay at all. And ss far as content goes, that is all relative. I'll put more time in NCAA than I will in Oblivion, and about 5 times more in Madden than both games combined, so that really isn't a fair to do a direct comparison.

This is almost as bad as the guy who said, "don't buy it then."

These "microtransactions" are items that could easily be placed in the retail version of the game, and will be available on the current gen version and have been for years.

What makes NCAA great is the atmospehere and the little touches that seperate the college game from the pro game. You give EA and inch (which you are) and in a couple years they will having you paying to run a franchise mode past 5 years.

These things are not directly related to the gameplay but they sure do have an impact on your enjoyment of the game.

One other little thing you tend to factor out is by going heavy on microtansitions you give EA the ability to pretty much eliminate those whole "create a player/team/uniform/etc" from next gen games. What incentive do they have offering these features if they can make the stuff themselves and sell it to you for an overblown price. So instead of allowing the user more flexibility in editing existing teams (a feature long overdue in EA games) and better create-a-team functions/ability to create more teams and players you will probably get something like.........

NCAA 2008 - Download your favorite Div 1-AA team for only $5.99. Yep collect em all and make us rich beyond our wildest dreams.

You are part of the problem, unfortuantely you just can't see far enough into the future, or EA's boardroom to realize that.

bdoughty

Banned
blackadde said:
i want to say something like 'vote with your wallet,' but sports fans usually don't have that kind of restraint.

Ding Ding Ding

They don't even have the restraint to wait until the middle of Jufreakinly to pick up the game. This is one time I feel for gamestore employees with the average sportsnut calling ever 30 minutes getting and updated status on the ship date.

Vark

gofreak said:

*smacks forehead*

The Horse Armor wasn't made until WELL after the games content was completely locked off.

Mrbob

bdoughty said:
This is almost as bad as the guy who said, "don't buy it then."

These "microtransactions" are items that could easily be placed in the retail version of the game, and will be available on the current gen version and have been for years.

What makes NCAA great is the atmospehere and the little touches that seperate the college game from the pro game. You give EA and inch (which you are) and in a couple years they will having you paying to run a franchise mode past 5 years.

These things are not directly related to the gameplay but they sure do have an impact on your enjoyment of the game.

One other little thing you tend to factor out is by going heavy on microtansitions you give EA the ability to pretty much eliminate those whole "create a player/team/uniform/etc" from next gen games. What incentive do they have offering these features if they can make the stuff themselves and sell it to you for an overblown price. So instead of allowing the user more flexibility in editing existing teams (a feature long overdue in EA games) and better create-a-team functions/ability to create more teams and players you will probably get something like.........

NCAA 2008 - Download your favorite Div 1-AA team for only $5.99. Yep collect em all and make us rich beyond our wildest dreams.

You are part of the problem, unfortuantely you just can't see far enough into the future, or EA's boardroom to realize that.

How am I part of the problem when I'm not going to buy it?

You're going overboard. These are alternate jerseys. You don't need alternate jerseys to fullfill the college game experience. Don't be so assinine and short sighted. OH MY GOD ALTERNATE JERSEYS AREN'T ON THE DISC NCAA IS RUINED. If other things start happening I'll agree with you, but until it does don't go overboard.

Top Bottom