• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Microtransactions, from the fine folks at EAsports! BOHICA TIME

Core407

Banned
Mrbob said:
How am I part of the problem when I'm not going to buy it?

You're going overboard. These are alternate jerseys. You don't need alternate jerseys to fullfill the college game experience. Don't be so assinine and short sighted. If other things start happening I'll agree with you, but until it does don't go overboard.

The whole issue is with the fact that they were, at one point, free, but now that EA has the ABILITY to CHARGE for them, they will. Is there a difference between these jerseys and the ones included in previous games? Nope, not at all. The only difference is that in the past, EA had no real way of charging for them.

So on paper it looks like this: $60 NCAA with less content on next gen and then x amount for the jerseys.

Mrbob

Core407 said:
The whole issue is with the fact that they were, at one point, free, but now that EA has the ABILITY to CHARGE for them, they will. Is there a difference between these jerseys and the ones included in previous games? Nope, not at all. The only difference is that in the past, EA had no real way of charging for them.

So on paper it looks like this: $60 NCAA with less content on next gen and then x amount for the jerseys.

Content that doesn't affect gameplay at all. Also next gen jersey content *is* brand new and not ported over, so more work needs to be done. Maybe they couldn't get it done on time ala horse armor and EA needs to get paid for their extra work. ;)

I do agree if people don't buy it then EA won't try to sell it seperately. It works for all games. Typical nonsensical EA bashing is occurring in this thread though, and that's really the thing I'm arguing against. Especially when EA is doing more to push next gen than virtually every othe company in this industry.

Core407

Banned
Mrbob said:
Content that doesn't affect gameplay at all. Also next gen jersey content *is* brand new and not ported over, so more work needs to be done. Maybe they couldn't get it done on time ala horse armor and EA needs to get paid for their extra work. ;)

I do agree if people don't buy it then EA won't try to sell it seperately. It works for all games. Typical nonsensical EA bashing is occurring in this thread though, and that's really the thing I'm arguing against. Especially when EA is doing more to push next gen than virtually every othe company in this industry.

No offense, but the whole EA pushing next gen thing is probably some of the biggest bullshit I've heard in a while. The only difference between next gen EA and last gen EA is that in this generation, EA has created new in-studio libraries for their games, which means visuals that are on par or surpass those of other next generation titles. The gameplay, content and overall experience of an EA game is still the game and the same problems are still there.

I don't even think EA realized how huge this was going to be for them. :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think EA would ever put it back in.

If we fight against microtransactions and don't buy them, EA will spin it as gamers "not wanting" that content. Then they just won't put it in the next version. It seems like we could lose at every scenario.

You know that SOME people are gonna buy it and I don't think anyone will boycott EA products because A) ea has a bit of a "following" and B) it's not a HUGE feature so I don't see how we can stem the tide. :(

Mrbob

Core407 said:
No offense, but the whole EA pushing next gen thing is probably some of the biggest bullshit I've heard in a while. The only difference between next gen EA and last gen EA is that in this generation, EA has created new in-studio libraries for their games, which means visuals that are on par or surpass those of other next generation titles. The gameplay, content and overall experience of an EA game is still the game and the same problems are still there.

I don't even think EA realized how huge this was going to be for them. :lol

They've completely rebuilt all their sports games from the ground up. Have you been in some of the EA sports threads lately, going through this next gen growing pains with the sports games have many of us fired up and wanting current gen stuff ported. :lol They came up with the best control scheme yet in an RTS game with BFME2. From all accounts they've designed one of the best co-op experiences in a game with Army of Two. They are creating this huge intereactive battlefield with the new Medal of Honor game. Sure there is some ports like Burnout, but that is Criterion's work. If we are going to bag a huge 3rd party company for cashing it in with next gen so far let us look at what Activision has done and not EA.

Core407

Banned
Mrbob said:
They've completely rebuilt all their sports games from the ground up. Have you been in some of the EA sports threads lately, going through this next gen growing pains with the sports games have many of us fired up and wanting current gen stuff ported. :lol They came up with the best control scheme yet in an RTS game with BFME2. From all accounts they've designed one of the best co-op experiences in a game with Army of Two. They are creating this huge intereactive battlefield with the new Medal of Honor game. Sure there is some ports like Burnout, but that is Criterion's work. If we are going to bag a huge 3rd party company for cashing it in with next gen so far let us look at what Activision has done and not EA.

BFME2's controls was average at best and it's not an RTS. Also, it was developed by DICE and published by EA. From what I've heard, Army of Two is generic and pretty boring. The game lets you "bling" your gun FFS. The new MOH I'm looking forward to, but EA doesn't develop that series at all.

Yes, Activision has been trash, but they haven't recieved all this uneeded praise.

Mrbob

You're confusing Battlefield 2 with Battle for Middle Earth 2. Battlefield 2 is DICE. Battle for Middle Earth 2 is EALA. Of course the acronyms are close so it is easy to confuse.

But continue to keep hating EA. I'll keep buying their products and if I help fund the downfall of gaming, so be it. At least I'm having fun.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
If they are gonna make you pay for extra uniforms they better ****ing let you use them in online play, unlike 06 for the current gen systems

bdoughty

Banned
Mrbob said:
How am I part of the problem when I'm not going to buy it?

You're going overboard. These are alternate jerseys. You don't need alternate jerseys to fullfill the college game experience. Don't be so assinine and short sighted. OH MY GOD ALTERNATE JERSEYS AREN'T ON THE DISC NCAA IS RUINED. If other things start happening I'll agree with you, but until it does don't go overboard.

It goes far beyond that but you seem to have a myopic view of what is happening. It's not just about alternate jerseys. Your typical EA Zealot could get away with explaining why Madden 360 was so featureless by crying that they had a limited amount of time. Sorry but there has been plenty of time for NCAA 07 to be created for the 360 and once again they fall way short of what the current gen game offers. Guess EA is waiting for the PS3 to pop up before pulling out the big guns, just biding time and selling feature crippled games for $59.99 + microtansactions while they do so.

How many years do we give EA to get things right? Chew on this: This is the same company that will have spewed out their 3rd soccer game on the 360 in less then a years time. That is half the total of the amount of courses in TW 06 for the 360. You think I am the one going overboard? It is a valid concern about what next generation has turned into so far (EA, 2KSports, Activision). When table tennis is your sports game highlight this far into the system span, it's fair to say a few dev and publishers are missing the mark when it comes to creating quality sports games.

It's not about hating EA. I have NCAA07 & Madden07 reserved for the Xbox. It is about hating what they are doing to the genre of video games that I love.

Core407

Banned
bdoughty said:
It goes far beyond that but you seem to have a myopic view of what is happening. It's not just about alternate jerseys. Your typical EA Zealot could get away with explaining why Madden 360 was so featureless by crying that they had a limited amount of time. Sorry but there has been plenty of time for NCAA 07 to be created for the 360 and once again they fall way short of what the current gen game offers. Guess EA is waiting for the PS3 to pop up before pulling out the big guns, just biding time and selling feature crippled games for $59.99 + microtansactions while they do so.

How many years do we give EA to get things right? Chew on this: This is the same company that will have spewed out their 3rd soccer game on the 360 in less then a years time. That is half the total of the amount of courses in TW 06 for the 360. You think I am the one going overboard? It is a valid concern about what next generation has turned into so far (EA, 2KSports, Activision). When table tennis is your sports game highlight this far into the system span, it's fair to say a few dev and publishers are missing the mark when it comes to creating quality sports games.

It's not about hating EA. I have NCAA07 & Madden07 reserved for the Xbox. It is about hating what they are doing to the genre of video games that I love.

It's a very dangerous line to walk because it can blow up in their faces in a matter of moments and next thing you know, XBLA titles are selling in the millions.

bdoughty

Banned
ColdBlooded33 said:
I think NBA2K6 topped table tennis for the best sports game on the 360...

Well it was more in jest but even after looking at Gamefaqs I was not that far off. What is really telling about the crap 360 owners are having to endure is that Tony Hawk AW is the 4th highest average according to reviews.

yea this....

928296_20051116_screen011.jpg

1. Fight Night Round 3 X360 EA Sports 72 8.2 85.4%
2. Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis X360 Rockstar Games 67 7.9 82.6%
3. NBA 2K6 X360 2K Sports 42 7.0 80.2%
4. Tony Hawk's American Wasteland X360 Activision 50 6.8 75.8%

Mrbob

Ok I tackle it one by one.

bdoughty said:

The typical EA zealot has already condemned Madden 06 360. You should also take a look at some of the NCAA 07 360 videos, as it looks like a solid foundation for the future.

I'll give EA another 2 years to iron things out. As long as the base game is enjoyable and not a piece of crap like Madden 06 360. The soccer thing is more of an anomoly with the world cup hitting. I'm not a soccer fan anyway so as long as they don't do this with football games it really doesn't matter to me what they do with soccer games. Tiger Woods was a rushed launch title, just like all EA sports launch titles. Read the reviews, buyer beware. You knew what you were getting into with those titles. I wouldn't sell NCAA 07 and Madden 07 360 short yet, as if NCAA is any indication we are going to see a huge improvement over Madden 06 360.

Top Bottom