• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Rayman Legends media released: 5 screens and boxart... No port begging

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
yeah im getting a wii-u eventually but I hope it's a timed exclusive, for the sake of Ubi
Seeing how Origins sold overall, I think Ubi is not taking a great risk releasing Legends on a 2D/local multiplayer focused platform at launch. I mean it can't do worst than the previous game, can it?

pramath

Banned

Joystiq: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/15/rayman-legends-is-a-wii-u-exclusive/

"We asked Ubisoft for clarification just to make super extra sure, and were told that "yes, Rayman Legends is a Wii U exclusive. It will be releasing in Holiday 2012.""

qqlEw.jpg

Lijik

Aw man I was hoping all the Mario talk would distract everyone from the never-ending circles discussion that is "Is Rayman Legends a Wii U exclusive?"

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I wouldn't go that far. They even said "not really saying it's a Wii U exclusive"

It's clear as day that this is a time exclusive.

Yes, they said that a few months ago.

And now they are explicitly calling it an exclusive.

I don't really see any reason to assume otherwise for now.

pramath

Banned
Aw man I was hoping all the Mario talk would distract everyone from the never-ending circles discussion that is "Is Rayman Legends a Wii U exclusive?"

It is.

It was never really a discussion. Just a lot of people with 360's and PS3's who want to play Rayman Legends without spending more money on another console.

Is it really necessary to discuss the platform it's going to be on so much? It will most likely come to PS3/360. If it bothers you so much just wait until the ports come.

bumpkin

Apparently the "U" in Wii U stands for Ubisoft. Right now, most of the games I want to get on the system - hopefully at launch - are theirs. Rayman Legends is leading the pack!

Xav

Joystiq: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/15/rayman-legends-is-a-wii-u-exclusive/

"We asked Ubisoft for clarification just to make super extra sure, and were told that "yes, Rayman Legends is a Wii U exclusive. It will be releasing in Holiday 2012.""

qqlEw.jpg

The way I see it they basically mean it's exclusive to Wii U this Christmas. Anyway I'm getting a Wii U just for this game so I'm not too bothered but I'm sure everyone else will be enjoying Rayman Legends in sometime 2013.

Is it really necessary to discuss the platform it's going to be on so much? It will most likely come to PS3/360. If it bothers you so much just wait until the ports come.

That didn't work out well for those who were waiting for a port of Muramasa. If people really want to play this game and want to support more like it then they should think about picking up the only platform it's been announced for.

pramath

Banned
The way I see it they basically mean it's exclusive to Wii U this Christmas. Anyway I'm getting a Wii U just for this game so I'm not too bothered but I'm sure everyone else will be enjoying Rayman Legends in sometime 2013.

Did you not read the link?

I hope the other platforms get another Rayman title soon, but if they do it won't be this game which is heavily revolved around Wii U functionality. Perhaps something that uses the same assets... but a different title nonetheless.

By that time, of course, it may be wiser to release it on the next consoles unless they can make it before next holiday season.

DGRE

Banned

Yeah they aren't even saying that in the slightest. As everyone has already pointed out, 360/PS3 will probably get a Rayman game in 2013, but it won't be this game. It was built from the ground up with the gamepad in mind.

I don't know how anyone can watch a playthrough video and their next supposedly rational thought is "Obviously it's a timed exclusive."

This game, Rayman Legends, in this form is a WiiU exclusive.

Explain, in detail, how this game will work on PS3 or 360?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh6Erf5FFJE

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This game. I need it. It just makes me be a child again!

Call me crazy but I still lean towards thinking it's timed

i'll still get to play it if it isnt so yeah

No way it's permanent exclusive.

I really just can't warp my head around third-party exclusives anymore, specially for games that could gain Ubisoft some profit if it were released on other platforms.

Maybe not too much with this game (as much as I love this game), but with ZombiU, it seems strange Ubisoft wouldn't like to try to gain profit with other platforms. But stranger things have happened in the industry, so I shouldn't really be that surprise.

Rafaelcsa

It does look amazing, but this picture makes it hard to know which part of the ground on the right (where Rayman is about to land) is actually part of the game and what is just background. If the (indeed awesome) graphics/art style get in the way of the gameplay like this it may not be a good thing. Say what you want about lack of creativity on the art style for the NSMB games, but they never leave you confused as to what's actual gameplay elements and what's just embelishments.

Of course this could well be something that is just misleading on a screenshot and when you actually play the game is not a problem at all. We'll see.

Lijik

It does look amazing, but this picture makes it hard to know which part of the ground on the right (where Rayman is about to land) is actually part of the game and what is just background. If the (indeed awesome) graphics/art style get in the way of the gameplay like this it may not be a good thing. Say what you want about lack of creativity on the art style for the NSMB games, but they never leave you confused as to what's actual gameplay elements and what's just embelishments.

Of course this could well be something that is just misleading on a screenshot and when you actually play the game is not a problem at all. We'll see.

Really? Maybe its because Im used to these sorts of visuals in games (Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is my childhood) but I think the playable ground is pretty obvious.

And maybe even if it isn't it at least keeps a consistent "language" that I feel like if you're astute you'll eventually pick up (well if they keep the same theories as Origins.) The playable axis on the floor is always the same, the walls always act like walls etc. People like to cite Earthworm Jim and compare it to Rayman Origins when they bring up your points, but aside from both being visually stylistic its not really the same. Earthworm Jim is a game where the "rules" are never clear. Attempts at differentiating the background and foreground from even a color perspective is sometimes nonexistant. In some levels the foreground completely covers the playable area in baffling un-player friendly ways. At times you'll go through floors and walk through walls (and not in the case of finding secrets, its legitimately what you need to do to progress!) Within levels sometimes specific elements that all look the same will actually have different uses. Hazards are typically tiny and blend in with the background. There are slopes you go up that give the illusion of going into the background that make it hard to tell where you land on it from a jump. Its a complete mess and not at all what happens in Rayman.

In Rayman if its on the middle layer, thats what you're playing on which for me is easy to work out. But again Im used to this sort of stuff.
EDIT- Heres a screenshot from Earthworm Jim 2 where if you were to hold a gun to my head and say "Okay outline where the playable ground is" and I hadn't just played the game a bit before, I wouldn't be able to do it. Meanwhile I'd be able to do it fine for any screenshot of Rayman Origins or Legends. Which I guess is a case of "Good for me" but I really feel like these games are far more readable than their spiritual predecessors

leroidys

This is seriously wii u's killer ap for me - above both NMSB and Pikmin 3 (which is a close second).

Not only does it look incredible graphically and artistically, it looks like a ton of fun to play.

The Wii U box template looks like shit though.

pakkit

Banned
yeah im getting a wii-u eventually but I hope it's a timed exclusive, for the sake of me, everyone, and Ubi

I'm fairly certain Ubi must have been paid well for the exclusivity. That said, I would like to see it come to a console I already own, but only for the sake of my wallet. I like the look of multiplayer, it seems like it can really take the edge off the difficulty in the single player, which is fine by me because that gives the developers freedom to make the game insanely difficult. The last levels in Rayman Origins were AWESOME in the Super Meat Boy sense of the word.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This is seriously wii u's killer ap for me - above both NMSB and Pikmin 3 (which is a close second).

Not only does it look incredible graphically and artistically, it looks like a ton of fun to play.

The Wii U box template looks like shit though.

The killer app for me so far is still Project P-100 just because that looks so creative, while this looks incredibly fun but still basically Rayman: Origins 2

Zero148

played the demo at gamescom with a friend of mine, it is really fun to play (my personal game of the show), and playing with the gamepad gave me a serious Elite Beat Agents wibe during the music level. It is a very different experience with the gamepad, but also fun because you have many ways to manipulate the level or enemies.

It also looks simply amazing

Zeth

I feel like the boxart is too good to be true, hope it holds out though, lol.

Looks like this will be a very Ubi Wii-U launch for me. Origins is one of my favorite games this gen.

Are we really working around the theory that Nintendo paid Ubi for console exclusivity for a platformer that will be competing directly with NSMBU for sales?

Um... no. If this is exclusive or timed exclusive it's because Ubi wanted it that way. Let's not confuse them with Capcom.

DGRE

Banned
Hopefully the same way anybody playing by themselves and don't want to stop and use the touchpad every ten seconds.

They've already said in PR that the game can be played off screen by just using the gamepad, so yes there will be some form of the game where the gamepad isn't necessary. Unfortunately, it's evident that removing those elements from the game that do rely on the gamepad would make it look vastly different. I just don't get why people keep ignoring facts and keep going with their gut feeling.

Rafaelcsa

Really? Maybe its because Im used to these sorts of visuals in games (Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is my childhood) but I think the playable ground is pretty obvious.

And maybe even if it isn't it at least keeps a consistent "language" that I feel like if you're astute you'll eventually pick up (well if they keep the same theories as Origins.) The playable axis on the floor is always the same, the walls always act like walls etc. People like to cite Earthworm Jim and compare it to Rayman Origins when they bring up your points, but aside from both being visually stylistic its not really the same. Earthworm Jim is a game where the "rules" are never clear. Attempts at differentiating the background and foreground from even a color perspective is sometimes nonexistant. In some levels the foreground completely covers the playable area in baffling un-player friendly ways. At times you'll go through floors and walk through walls (and not in the case of finding secrets, its legitimately what you need to do to progress!) Within levels sometimes specific elements that all look the same will actually have different uses. Hazards are typically tiny and blend in with the background. There are slopes you go up that give the illusion of going into the background that make it hard to tell where you land on it from a jump. Its a complete mess and not at all what happens in Rayman.

In Rayman if its on the middle layer, thats what you're playing on which for me is easy to work out. But again Im used to this sort of stuff.
EDIT- Heres a screenshot from Earthworm Jim 2 where if you were to hold a gun to my head and say "Okay outline where the playable ground is" and I hadn't just played the game a bit before, I wouldn't be able to do it. Meanwhile I'd be able to do it fine for any screenshot of Rayman Origins or Legends. Which I guess is a case of "Good for me" but I really feel like these games are far more readable than their spiritual predecessors

I haven't played Rayman Origins yet, so I believe you when you say that this kind of problem doesn't exist on these games. But let me try to explain my point a bit better. Look at this:

What part of the ground can you land on there? 1 or 2? There's a kinda large gap between them that could potentially throw me off.

Top Bottom