• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More StarCraft Remastered Rumors, May-June Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

Banned
Starcraft had a good custom map scene, but I'd prefer warcraft III for that. Nonetheless, I'll take what I can get.

wonder if they will add the improved SC2 controls

SC1 would prolly be heavily changed if they allowed the bigger groups from SC2, and the fast selection of unique units in a group too

doubt they will do it but it could be interesting

I hope they don't do this.

StayDead

I still play Broodwar online daily.

I gave up on SC2 years ago. I have no faith that modern Blizzard will not break this somehow. All they need to do is up-res it for modern displays. Change nothing else. Keep all the bugs, keep all the same units and balance and don't mess with the controls.

It's perfect as is.

Savitar

It better be much better than their Diablo event.

I wonder if they will force too many SCII stuff into this or use the same art style, I could see so many fans being pissed off.

I mean will it be the same VO's? People were still pissed with the Kerrigan one, and SCII in the end really didn't exactly set the world on fire.

Maybe this can be a return to form.

Maybe.

Tagyhag

Since it was on console I wonder if they will bring it out for a console along side the pc

I honestly can't see it.

Where's the StarCraft 2 port to consoles? And that one even would play better on controllers than StarCraft 1. So I can't see the latter coming to consoles.

StarCraft 64 was very impressive in regards of how much content it had (plus 2 player split screen) but the controls were baaaaad.

StayDead

That's a shame. Both would be objective improvements to the game.

If they do that, nobody who actually likes Broodwar will play it. It's things like that that ruined SC2.

Also, due to the balance in Broodwar being able to select as many units as you want would break the game entirely.

Please, keep that stuff away from Broodwar.

Nephrahim

If they do that, nobody who actually likes Broodwar will play it. It's things like that that ruined SC2.

Also, due to the balance in Broodwar being able to select as many units as you want would break the game entirely.

Please, keep that stuff away from Broodwar.

TBH then you should just keep playing Broodwar.

I can appreciate the idea that broodwar is a perfect game and that any changes will affect the balance negatively, but just uprezing the graphics isn't going to appeal to anyone outside of the extreme hardcore that already watch BW. I guess myabe it could catch on as a huge E-sports thing, but at that point you're just trying to make a sport, not a mass market videogame.

StayDead

TBH then you should just keep playing Broodwar.

I can appreciate the idea that broodwar is a perfect game and that any changes will affect the balance negatively, but just uprezing the graphics isn't going to appeal to anyone outside of the extreme hardcore that already watch BW. I guess myabe it could catch on as a huge E-sports thing, but at that point you're just trying to make a sport, not a mass market videogame.

Genuinly the market they want to catch is all the people watching Broodwar on Afreeca and the Koreans in netcafes and the foreign players still playing on places like Teamliquid and in China/Russia.

Nobody outside of that cares about Broodwar as is and trying to bring Broodwar back into the attention of people by changing it entirely, the crowd and all the pro streamers right now won't move to it and it won't catch on in Korea which is the one place it would need to succeed.

Broodwar is finally getting back on track tournament wise and I'll be very upset if something like this release would hurt that.

Skab

I'm hanging out with some non gamer friends atm and it's taking me every ounce of my will to not freak out about this lol

It's things like that that ruined SC2.

A laughable conclusion to come to IMO. Having to manually assign workers to mineral patches every 20ish seconds (even more so per running base) is complete busy work that serves no purpose other than to fan service complete purists who refuse to accept improvements to mechanics. This is coming from a huge fan of SC/Brood War.

If people are worried that mass selecting armies would break the game (most likely make Zerg OP), then fine, keep the tabs capped at 12 for balance sake. But worker rally points does nothing but improve quality of life for the game.

Vigamox

Honestly, the game just shouldn't be touched mechanic-wise.

If they're going to add the ability to select multiple buildings and auto-mining and whatnot, it should be a separate mode that people can choose to play in and can only play against others in the same mode.

Coxy100

Banned
Fully agree with those saying don't mess with the mechanics. Just make it look pretty and work please.

The game was a classic and does not need changing

Laiza

A laughable conclusion to come to IMO. Having to manually assign workers to mineral patches every 20ish seconds (even more so per running base) is complete busy work that serves no purpose other than to fan service complete purists who refuse to accept improvements to mechanics. This is coming from a huge fan of SC/Brood War.

If people are worried that mass selecting armies would break the game (most likely make Zerg OP), then fine, keep the tabs capped at 12 for balance sake. But worker rally points does nothing but improve quality of life for the game.
You're totally missing the point.

Having to manually assign workers adds to the skill floor of the game and is another facet that can separate the best players from the rest. You might not like it (hell, I sure don't), but it's essential to the functioning of the game in the competitive scene.

Every single one of these little inconveniences may not make it marketable to the casual crowd, but that is, again, missing the point entirely. This is NOT a mass market product. They are doing this purely for the e-sports scene, no ifs ands or buts about it. If you happen to be a part of that small cross-section of customers that's totally on-board with Brood War's little idiosyncrasies, then great, you're probably going to love it. But anyone else can just stick with SC2. SC2 is there for a reason, after all.

Laiza

Oh no, it's totally a dumb chore. But it's a dumb chore that you MUST do properly or you fall behind.

Competitive players quite literally have it wired into their muscle memory at this point. It's not going away. Sorry, but them's the breaks.

StayDead

Assigning workers individually is a skill and it's a very important one too. If you can't assign your workers efficiently you'll fall behind, it's an action that takes away from the other actions you're trying to focus on. That 1/2 clicks (more if you have more bases) is 4 actions that could be used focusing on something else.

It gives you the option of say focusing on micro for a few seconds and letting some workers go idle, which means economy wise you'll be falling slowly behind if the other player is more active. It's why early in his career players like FanTaSy struggled in certain matchups. His micro was amazing, but his macro would suffer as he'd often have a lot of scvs idling in his bases which in a longer game all adds up.

Broodwar is a game of seconds.

kirblar

Honestly, the game just shouldn't be touched mechanic-wise.

If they're going to add the ability to select multiple buildings and auto-mining and whatnot, it should be a separate mode that people can choose to play in and can only play against others in the same mode.
Legacy titles should never be touched balancewise, barring something like USF2 which is an actual game update.

lol. You cant play it on consoles and controllers man. The times where such a mess as putting Starcraft on a console could happen were times when the mindset was "it doesnt actually really work and it plays like shit, but lets port this M/KB desinged PC game to a console anyway". No serious company is gonna do something like this today, let alone one like Blizzard.

Given that xbox is apparently working on (according to phil) mouse and keyboard support i dont see the issue, additionally controllers work fine (assuming your competing against others with controllers), the majority of sc for n64's problems had to do with limitation of the cartridge format (imo). As someone who played competitively on pc for several years from release all the way up to roughly 2005 and owned the console port throughout my childhood (and to this day) the n64 port was commendable for what it was and for the hardware restrictions of the time. Like i said, on modern consoles a remastered SC would have 0 problems running with all the assests (a significant amount of things like audio were cut from the n64 port for example) assuming the game is essentially the same as it was and just given the hd polish treatment.

DieH@rd

Banned
Please add worker rally points and being able to select as many units as possible.

That's a shame. Both would be objective improvements to the game.

BIG NOPE

The only real gameplay change should be support for 16:9 screens which will change how much user can see on the screen.

Add better visuals, much better spectator options, full integration into battlenet, remaster the CGIs and call it a day.

Calling assigning workers a "skill" and not "a dumb chore" is some goofball priorities.

Maybe, but that's a huge reason Brood Wars had as big a comp scene as it did.

In regards to the "proper" balance it really isn't any better than SCII (it might have been even worse), but the mechanical skill ceiling was so high that faction imbalances were mostly irrelevant.

I miss when Blizzard games had high skill ceilings.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Maybe now Jaedong will win 1st again.

No hate, I love how he sticks with it and still gets high spots even through everything with SC2 and all the sprightly young competition. All time greatest SC player IMO.

Stevey

aJXkR0t.gif

Please dont fuck it up Blizz.

iMerc

starcraft is absolute perfection when it comes to the balancing of units.
this is still the BEST rts game i have played to date, and not even Blizzards own efforts (sc2) has topped this.

If all blizzard does is remaster the 'look' of the game & nothing else, i'm willing to pay full price for this

Instead of a full Diablo remaster, we got a single dungeon 'recreating' the original one from Diablo in Diablo 3 for a limited time.

Keep your expectations in check.
I'm half expecting this to only be the existing SC Battle Chest with native integration to the battle.net client and support for more resolution options.

This isn't the consensus, but I'd love it to be SC in the SC2 engine, if only to future proof it.

Mandoric

Banned
Given that xbox is apparently working on (according to phil) mouse and keyboard support i dont see the issue, additionally controllers work fine (assuming your competing against others with controllers), the majority of sc for n64's problems had to do with limitation of the cartridge format (imo). As someone who played competitively on pc for several years from release all the way up to roughly 2005 and owned the console port throughout my childhood (and to this day) the n64 port was commendable for what it was and for the hardware restrictions of the time. Like i said, on modern consoles a remastered SC would have 0 problems running with all the assests (a significant amount of things like audio were cut from the n64 port for example) assuming the game is essentially the same as it was and just given the hd polish treatment.

"Working on" kb/m support means working on cert policies designed to restrict their effectiveness so they're not considered mandatory for peak performance, only after which they'll be allowed. "We have to figure out how to add it" is a straight-up lie; games can see the keyboard, they're simply not allowed to use input from it except in text chat modes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
holy fucking shit

I just want StarCraft Remastered. Would it being on consoles be nice? For me, yes since my computer stinks. But if no consoles, then no problem. I'll make it work.

But I really just want a remaster. StarCraft was my entry to Blizzard and their games so it holds a really special place in my heart. I even own StarCraft 64 for Pete's sake.

Pooya

If it's still 2D, which probably is, toasters will run it.

RTS on consoles just died around 2009 after RA3 bombed despite their best efforts to make it console friendly and it was. I don't think there is a better RTS console game than that, it played really well with a controller and it was a pretty good game too. Halo Wars is a horrible shallow game that I've no idea why they decided to make another one, it came out and no one noticed.

While C&C style game could work on consoles with some moderate sacrifices like RA3 made, Blizzard style RTS with workers will never work. It won't be the same game.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Biggest question mark is cinematics if they're bothering to remake the campaigns which i'm sorta doubting. There's a fair few so it wouldn't be cheap and Blizzards current artstyle for games is pretty shit in terms of matching teh tone of the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom