• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More than 200 dead in suspected U.S. airstrike that hits civilians in Mosul

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

The U.S. military is investigating whether it was responsible for a bombing raid in the Iraqi city of Mosul that killed scores of civilians, making it the most deadly among Iraqi residents since the battle against the militant group Islamic State began more than two years ago.

Col. Joseph Scrocca, a U.S. spokesman based in Baghdad, said officials are examining multiple allegations placing a strike in the area sometime between March 17 and 23.

U.S. officials, who weren’t authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing investigation, said initial indications are that a fuel truck may have been inadvertently hit, causing a massive explosion.

It is among the latest incidents in which dozens of civilians are said to have been killed at the hands of U.S. forces. On Wednesday, humanitarian groups said at least 30 civilians were killed when an airstrike hit a school in Syria, south of Raqqah. Less than a week earlier, the U.S. was accused of bombing a mosque in Aleppo province, killing more than 40.
http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-mosul-civilians-airstrike-20170324-story.html

So is this Trump's "military needs to be winning" strategy or "it's Obama's fault"?

Here is a simple flowchart for your reference

Is this a good thing? No! ------------> Obama/Hillary Clinton/Librul Court System/Dishonest Media's Fault

Is this a good thing? Yes! ------------> Dear Leader did well

Official footage of Trump recieving this news:

1502387_o.gif

News like this is really disheartening.

I will never understand how decisions like this are weighed. What makes taking the life of a few targeted individuals worth the lives of tens, or hundreds of others.

Xando

US now killed 300 civilians with three airstrikes in a week.

The same war criminals as putin and his gang

Gotta wonder if this is related to Trump wanting to ease the rules in regards to civilian casualties? We can't afford for these types of things to happen it completely undermines our objectives.

Breads

Banned
We no longer banned Iraq so that means we cool right?

Fucking tragedy. They have every reason to hate the US.

Syncytia

So is this Trump's "military needs to be winning" strategy or "it's Obama's fault"?

Probably that and the kill terrorists families strategy. If you go big enough everyone is related. Trump also probably thinks a drone strike is an automatic victory of some sort. Since he's a child, he most likely just thinks it's cool to blow things up.

Goodstyle

Can we not have any snarky Trump comments in this thread please? Every modern US president before has overseen these sorts of massive atrocities several times during their presidency.

EDIT: Should also note that we should wait for more info too. I could be wrong, and this could all be a direct result of Trump's shoddy orders. Who knows. But what I do know is that this sort of thing has happened before under Obama as well.

Can we not have any snarky Trump comments in this thread please? Every modern US president before has overseen these sorts of massive atrocities several times during their presidency.

Agreed,as much as Trump is a cunt, we've had years of this. When Trump won, people on this board were asking for Bush back, remembering the good old days of that idiot with nostalgia.

EDIT: Should also note that we should wait for more info too. I could be wrong, and this could all be a direct result of Trump's shoddy orders. Who knows. But what I do know is that this sort of thing has happened before under Obama as well.

Sorry, but Trump personally supports the loosening of acceptable civilian casualties in drone strikes. He's 100% complicit in this.

Futureman

Didn't Trump say something like "The US isn't so innocent either, there's blood on our hands"?

That's true and now there's blood on your hands Donald.

Well, Trump did say in an interview that he considered the U.S. murderers.

Edit: He said "killers" to quote him correctly.

Killing 200 innocent civilians for presumably a small group of terrorists is unacceptable and it makes me sick to my stomach.

US now killed 300 civilians with three airstrikes in a week.

The same war criminals as putin and his gang

You can assume this is being reported in the Russian press and TV. And rightly so. Hopefully it getting into the press and TV in the states and Europe

Agreed,as much as Trump is a cunt, we've had years of this. When Trump won, people on this board were asking for Bush back, remembering the good old days of that idiot with nostalgia.
Yup, I guess people are surprised that Trump is so openly for this type of displays of power I guess. The other ones at least attempted to veil this back.

Trump at least continuing Bush/Obama's legacy of killing innocent civilians ... oh sorry its supposed to be 'collateral damage' for the greater good

Atolm

I assume the answer is never, but will there ever be a point that Iraq tells us to fuck off and not let us do these missions anymore?

It's not like countries like Iraq or Yemen (remember the raid a few months back?) have anything to say regarding their sovereignty if the USA wants to drop a few bombs. After all, what are they going to do? Try to hit a F18 with an earth-to-air missile?

USA didn't ask permission to anyone either in Pakistan to enter their territory with military equipment when they killed Osama.

On the old times, such invasions of sovereignty used to be enough for a casus belli.

emag

Horrific.

That's far more civilian deaths than every "Jihadist" terror attack in the US since 9/11 combined.

Gets a little blurb on page D9, if that. No one held accountable. No disciplining, no resignations, no penalties. Certainly no apologies from the Commander in Chief.

TWO HUNDRED?! And a further 70 in less than a week? That is severe negligence. This ratio is far, far too high. Borderline warcrimes.

Watch this thread (just like the 50 other threads about random innocent brown people being killed on the other side of the globe) be a fart in the wind.

Whether it was the US's fault or not, it's gotten to the point where people are just accepting it as a 'reality of war' or that they just can't relate to it unless it hits 'closer to home.'

And you'll see this general silence being reflected in the media and once again by politicians (the same ones who say nothing and turn a blind eye when Saudi is utterly destroying Yemen for example)-.

It's absolutely disgusting but with a hypocritical foreign policy and mind set like this, I guess what else should I expect when it's perpetuated in the wider community?

Skyzard

Banned
This is fucking unacceptable. Just get the fuck out and leave it to the Iraqis and support them, completely incompetent.

Auraela

Banned
Amazing how this thread has one page any isis related thread of minimal deaths gets hundreds of pages. In many ways what happend here is just as bad as them.

Amazing how this thread has one page any isis related thread of minimal deaths gets hundreds of pages. In many ways what happend here is just as bad as them.

We're the good guys so we don't even need to bother with a token "whoops"

Sorry, but Trump personally supports the loosening of acceptable civilian casualties in drone strikes. He's 100% complicit in this.

The Obama administration changed the way they classify civilians and combatants so that every guy they killed in a drone strike was automatically presumed to be a terrorist unless proven otherwise. Literal guilty unless proven innocent just to try and avoid responsibility for countless civilian deaths.

Let's not make this into a Trump thing when the US has been doing this regardless of who is in the White House.

The other thing with the terrorists is you have to take out their families, when you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families,” Trump declared on Dec. 2, 2015.

I'm shocked that such man would be careless with his bombing

Hazzuh

After 8 years of shrugging their shoulders, I'm sure democrats will start caring about this sort of stuff again.

Dingens

Watch this thread (just like the 50 other threads about random innocent brown people being killed on the other side of the globe) be a fart in the wind.

Whether it was the US's fault or not, it's gotten to the point where people are just accepting it as a 'reality of war' or that they just can't relate to it unless it hits 'closer to home.'[...]

nah... it's more like the the wrong people did it. Because apparently it's important who the culprit is.
If this was about Russia killing 300+ civilians in the course of 3 weeks, we would be around page 20 by now.
I'm not really sure why people have these double standards when it comes to this sort of war crimes, but they clearly exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom