• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 Released

I'll have to give that a go.

Whats really annoying is that when the game crashes, it creates a sound loop that wont go away unless I restart my PC.

I'll mess with a few settings and see if I cant make some progress by quickloading like you suggest. Thanks.

The only reason I suggested that is that when I played Skyrim with 85 mods or so, I realized I was hitting the upper limits and see it start to drop frames pretty steadily as I was entering a new area. When that happened it was always the inevitable crash minutes later, and Bethesda definitely still has it's roots from Morrowind in the Skyrim engine. Skyrim was luckily patched recently by fans that made that crashing substantially less frequent almost to the point of never happening. My hardware to was more than capable of running Skyrim with the mods I had installed (i7-920/12gbs Ram/GTX 680). So if your hardware is more than capable I'd say it's the engine itself that is running into issues. Also, have you looked into installing any performance enhancing mods on top of the overhaul?

Seanspeed

Banned
The only reason I suggested that is that when I played Skyrim with 85 mods or so, I realized I was hitting the upper limits and see it start to drop frames pretty steadily as I was entering a new area. When that happened it was always the inevitable crash minutes later, and Bethesda definitely still has it's roots from Morrowind in the Skyrim engine. Skyrim was luckily patched recently by fans that made that crashing substantially less frequent almost to the point of never happening. My hardware to was more than capable of running Skyrim with the mods I had installed (i7-920/12gbs Ram/GTX 680). So if your hardware is more than capable I'd say it's the engine itself that is running into issues. Also, have you looked into installing any performance enhancing mods on top of the overhaul?
Well it comes with a 4GB RAM(x64) patch.

Really not sure what's up and I'm feeling impatient to try and bunch of stuff because I have to restart my PC everytime it freezes.

I'll probably mess with it a bit more tomorrow. Just froze up on me again a few minutes ago out of nowhere. No warning, no chance to quickload.

I tried out an earlier version awhile back, and while it's certainly an improvement over the original, the performance optimization leaves something to be desired. Much more excited for Skywind. I will say though the dynamic water does look nice in Overhaul.

Remmy2112

Call me when mods like these are included.

Are those Neverwinter Nights clothing models? Goddamn I miss that game and wish that NWN2 had as friendly a toolset and capable modding base.

edit: Nvm, guess those are mods made for Morrowind but not exactly compatible with this overhaul.

Piggus

I know this is a blasphemous question to the Morrowind purists, but are there any mods that make the combat more like Skyrim (or even Oblivion)? I can't stand the outdated "dice roll" style combat in Morrowind.

Veezy

que?
I know this is a blasphemous question to the Morrowind purists, but are there any mods that make the combat more like Skyrim (or even Oblivion)? I can't stand the outdated "dice roll" style combat in Morrowind.

Honestly, not really. There's a few mods you can play around with, but really the best work for mods comes down to adjusting the look of the game.

It's a pain for those who want the feel of Skyrim combat, but the system is just to antiquated to adjust that.

Now, I could be wrong, but I don't see any way to really get at adjusting the combat to make it that similar to what you're looking for.

BigDug13

If you own both Morrowind and Oblivion, you can download Morroblivion which adds the Morrowind assets (that you have already installed with your copy of Morrowind) to the Oblivion gameplay engine (that you also installed with Oblivion), resulting in as close to Morrowind as you can get using the combat style of Oblivion.

Seanspeed

Banned
If you own both Morrowind and Oblivion, you can download Morroblivion which adds the Morrowind assets (that you have already installed with your copy of Morrowind) to the Oblivion gameplay engine (that you also installed with Oblivion), resulting in as close to Morrowind as you can get using the combat style of Oblivion.
Is this pretty good, though? If I haven't played Morrowind, could I say I'm getting mostly the full experience still?

I've given up trying to play Morrowind with this overhaul. I cant stop it freezing. And I'm unsure whether its worth playing with vanilla graphics.

DSmalls84

Wow. Forgot just how much landscape variety Morrowind had! I haven't played it in probably over 10 years at this point though, but those screens look fantastic.

BigDug13

Is this pretty good, though? If I haven't played Morrowind, could I say I'm getting mostly the full experience still?

I've given up trying to play Morrowind with this overhaul. I cant stop it freezing. And I'm unsure whether its worth playing with vanilla graphics.

It's decent and it has a loyal following. But it definitely plays differently since combat is no longer dice rolls and magic points regenerate. So combat balance-wise it doesn't measure up to developer intent.

But it was still good from what I played of it. There's a couple other mods you also need to add to make it work as far as NPC interaction. Also the journal system and NPC dialog is setup completely different since Oblivion was voice-based and Morrowind's conversations were delivered with lots of text. They've done a good job converting the stuff to oblivion-style text subtitles, but you need to add a mod that ensures the NPC's deliver the text slowly since there are no voiceovers and one mod that keeps their mouths moving while the subtitles are being delivered.

Also instead of journal descriptions telling you where to go, leaving you to your own devices to figure it out, it's all waypoint-based like Oblivion with pointers telling you every step of your quest. So you can add some mods that get rid of quest markers to try to make it better replicate Morrowind's quest system. I think the journal descriptions were translated over, but the waypoints are still defaulted to be on.

Woorloog

Banned
This seems like a good time to mention OpenMW. Once we have a new engine, modding combat into something else entirely should be possible

Once that thing is ready, there are no.. there should be no limits. Welcome to the infinity.
What i'm looking forward about OpenMW is hopefully decent performance, heavily modded MW doesn't run very well on modern computers.

Ragnarok

i don't think even the morrowind purists can trick themselves into thinking the combat was better than the later games

Seanspeed

Banned
It's decent and it has a loyal following. But it definitely plays differently since combat is no longer dice rolls and magic points regenerate. So combat balance-wise it doesn't measure up to developer intent.

But it was still good from what I played of it. There's a couple other mods you also need to add to make it work as far as NPC interaction. Also the journal system and NPC dialog is setup completely different since Oblivion was voice-based and Morrowind's conversations were delivered with lots of text. They've done a good job converting the stuff to oblivion-style text subtitles, but you need to add a mod that ensures the NPC's deliver the text slowly since there are no voiceovers and one mod that keeps their mouths moving while the subtitles are being delivered.

Also instead of journal descriptions telling you where to go, leaving you to your own devices to figure it out, it's all waypoint-based like Oblivion with pointers telling you every step of your quest. So you can add some mods that get rid of quest markers to try to make it better replicate Morrowind's quest system. I think the journal descriptions were translated over, but the waypoints are still defaulted to be on.
Phew, ok.

I'll look into that. I do want to play Morrowind as I'm a huge fan of Oblivion and Skyrim, yet so many people say that Morrowind is even better. I'm trying, but its becoming a bit of a struggle(unless I decide to just go vanilla, but I'm on PC now and that's hard to do).

Woorloog

Banned
i don't think even the morrowind purists can trick themselves into thinking the combat was better than the later games

At least it is based of your character's skills, not yours... (It is a goddamn Role Playing Game after all). So, yeah, in a sense it is better. I don't really like this "skill increases damage" idea.

BigDug13

Phew, ok.

I'll look into that. I do want to play Morrowind as I'm a huge fan of Oblivion and Skyrim, yet so many people say that Morrowind is even better. I'm trying, but its becoming a bit of a struggle(unless I decide to just go vanilla, but I'm on PC now and that's hard to do).

The morroblivion website does a good job spelling it out as far as necessary mods and IIRC they even give links to them.

Having played and beaten Morrowind three different times without any mods, I can say the game is well worth it. I already have this overhaul package and it not only greatly improves the looks of the game, it also adds several needed tweaks to the gameplay like the ability to toggle sneak. (Good lord was it annoying to sneak before that) It also has several more options like removing the dice rolls from the hits, or making unarmed combat build off of your strength stat.

I am pretty sure that this has been out for a while, seeing as even the trailer for version 3.0 is from 2012.

Woorloog

Banned
Having played and beaten Morrowind three different times without any mods, I can say the game is well worth it. However, I already have an overhaul package that not only greatly improves the looks of the game, it also adds several needed tweaks to the gameplay like the ability to toggle sneak. (Good lord was it annoying to sneak before that)

Morrowind Code Patch does that (i presume the overhaul includes it), very good for purists or anyone else due to various engine bugfixes.

Morrowind Code Patch does that (i presume the overhaul includes it), very good for purists or anyone else due to various engine bugfixes.

Aye. I had to edit my post as I realized that this is the same overhaul I had been using for quite a while. I figured that more people knew about it already, what with the prevalence of mods being used in Bethesda's games.

Also, for any new players: Remember that you will find the cave north out of town and left after the large grey rock. In other words, don't be at all surprised if you get lost, as some of the NPCs are notoriously bad at giving directions.

Really? The amount of dresses are the biggest void in the game for you?

Why bother with dresses when you can wear bitchin' default robes like these OVER you armor?

MGEScreenshot004_zps6b56efa9.png

Seriously, Morrowind had the best armor customization. Like that chest plate but prefer different pauldrons? Go for it. Mix and match the hell out of your armor till you come up with something awesome.

Woorloog

Banned
Why bother with dresses when you can wear bitchin' default robes like these OVER you armor?

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y357/XT_Vengeance/MGEScreenshot004_zps6b56efa9.png[IMG]

Seriously, Morrowind had the best armor customization. Like that chest plate but prefer different pauldrons? Go for it. Mix and match the hell out of your armor till you come up with something awesome.[/QUOTE]

Asymmetric custom armor for the win!
Boots, greaves, no chest, left pauldron, right gauntlet, open helmet.

Asymmetric custom armor for the win!
Boots, greaves, no chest, left pauldron, right gauntlet, open helmet.

Indeed. Not to mention once you find a nice set then enchant all of it you can become almost invincible. Not to mention the shirt, pants, belt, rings, and amulet you can wear as well under your armor. Morrowind will always beat out Skyrim and Oblivion on those options.

Top Bottom