• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Armageddon - first screens, info

rsilva13

Anyanka said:
That reminds me...has anyone else ever heard the MK album? Not just the famous techno music used in the movie, but the songs based on each of the characters with goofy, sappy lyrics. It's so bizarre and cheesy. Even as a kid I knew it was lame. The album is so hilariously awful I've always been surprised it hasn't caught on as an internet fad.

"ohhhh chinese ninja warrior...with your heart so cold. Sub-zeeeeerooo"
I still listen to that album every now and then "Johnny Cage is not afraid to DIIIEEEEEEEE"

S-Wind

Anyanka said:
It's funny how in MK II under the mask Sub-Zero was Asian but then in 3 he's unmasked and is suddenly some random white guy Ed Boon knew in Chicago. Some Chinese ninja he is.

The official canon is that Sub-Zero's father is Japanese and his mother is [white] American. While people who are half white half Asian do look more like one than the other from time to time depending on a variety of factors, I do agree that Midway does push it in some pictures.

That reminds me...has anyone else ever heard the MK album? Not just the famous techno music used in the movie, but the songs based on each of the characters with goofy, sappy lyrics. It's so bizarre and cheesy. Even as a kid I knew it was lame. The album is so hilariously awful I've always been surprised it hasn't caught on as an internet fad.

I remember when I was in highschool, during my years of being a rabid Mortal Kombat fanatic, burrowing that CD from a friend and listening through every single track. Even then I thought those character songs sucked.

I successfully repressed all memories of those songs - until now.

THANKS A LOT!!!

Vormund

S-Wind said:
The official canon is that Sub-Zero's father is Japanese and his mother is [white] American. While people who are half white half Asian do look more like one than the other from time to time depending on a variety of factors, I do agree that Midway does push it in some pictures.

I'm part Chinese on my mum's side and I don't look Chinese at all. Most people think I'm Italian or something :lol

eshwaaz

Anyanka said:
I guess it's not really saying much but MK does have one of the better, more complex stories in a fighting game. It's usually poorly written, vague and inconsistent...but it's there.

It's funny how in MK II under the mask Sub-Zero was Asian but then in 3 he's unmasked and is suddenly some random white guy Ed Boon knew in Chicago. Some Chinese ninja he is.

Even more surprising is the fact that The Immortals, the group that released that album, is actually made up of the 3 main members of the exceptionally filthy Lords of Acid.

Matlock

Banned
eshwaaz said:
Even more surprising is the fact that The Immortals, the group that released that album, is actually made up of the 3 main members of the exceptionally filthy Lords of Acid.

!

Anyanka

S-Wind said:

Yeah but that's something they only added after John Turk had taken over playing him as unmasked in MK3.

One of the many dumb things about the MK story is how they will just randomly change the characterizations to suit a joke or direction they want to go in. Ever since the movie came out they've been picking and choosing the bits they like and making them part of the game's story. Like the Kitana/Liu Kang relationship. In the games there was nothing about them being together. Then suddenly in MK4 she's asking him to marry her? But becase it was in the movie I guess we're supposed to just accept it. Or Reptile suddenly becoming more of a lizard to make him more like the movie Reptile. They give some weak explination about him "de-evolving" but really they did it because they liked the design from the movie. The whole design process and writing is based on "hey wouldn't it be cool if...." and "we want this character back, how can we explain it..".

rsilva13

It may be crude but it had to be done!
luikzombakingga4dc.jpg

segarr said:
Does MK even have a storyline that is narrative from game to game?

Anyways, I agree that Scorpion and Sub Zero (And all the characters) were cool when they were not on steroids.

bio.gif

sub-zero.png

I loved how Scorpion and SubZero kicked ass in paint-ball masks! 1993, BABYYYYYYY!

Nemesis_

You guys have got to remember it's early days at the moment and the graphics aren't going to be 100% represented in screenshots, particularly the first released ones. PS2 RE4 looks horrible when it was first announced / the first screenshots were shown but then the video and stuff showed it looked better than it started off.

I'm looking forward to it

Nemesis556 said:
You guys have got to remember it's early days at the moment and the graphics aren't going to be 100% represented in screenshots, particularly the first released ones. PS2 RE4 looks horrible when it was first announced / the first screenshots were shown but then the video and stuff showed it looked better than it started off.

I'm looking forward to it
I'm not surprised that the guy with the generic evil username is looking forward to the generic evil videogame.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Electrii said:
The only word I can use to describe this game is "repulsive". how can they make this stuff?

Midway has secretly hired Tood McFarlane to helm the art direction on MKA here.

I just wanted to say that I can finally die in peace now that I know an official reasons exists as to why Sub Zero in part 3 looked like a white guy.

Top Bottom