• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat [E3 2010]

Anyanka said:
Raptor Jesus Reptile in MK II was always funny to me.

end2rep_2.gif
ah... This wouldn't be a MK thread without Anyanka :lol

Can you show us a picture of your MK collection?

ScOULaris

Mar said:
Well yeah. Reptile was an awesome character back in the old games. Later on he just looked like a 5 year old went mad with 3D Studio Max.

These:

reptilemk2.gif
reptilemk3.gif

Vs these:

reptilemk4.gif
reptilemk42.gif

Yeah, back before they really started to emphasize Reptile's reptilian nature, he was more of a mysterious, badass ninja. In MK2 and Ultimate MK3, they treated him kind of like Mileena. He looked human until he took off his mask to reveal a lizard face. That is the reptile that I loved in the classic MK games.

Lizardman Reptile from all of the recent games can suck my balls. He looks more like a joke now than a badass.

Anyanka said:
I liked the change of Kung Lao's backstory and personality in MKSM. It gave him more character than just being "the guy that's related to OG Kung Lao". The way they act like kids is stupid though. These guys are monks and Kung Lao is hassling him for liking Kitana.

There's a bunch of minor plot holes and retcons in SM besides that. In MK II Kitana was loyal to Kahn all her life and discovered the truth through her work as an assassin. In SM she is under a spell. Jax is able to go to Outworld as if it's no big deal. Sub-Zero already knows his older brother is Noob Saibot(also there's the origin of his scar controversy). Johnny Cage kills Goro in Outworld. But whatever. The biggest problem with SM's plot is the twist ending where Quan Chi grabs Shinnok's amulet from Shao Kahn's body. This makes no sense. At that point in the MK timeline Quan Chi would have already had the amulet(he got it in Mythologies, before MK1!) and Shao Kahn had no connection to it. One of the dumbest retcons ever in MK.

A SM sequel with Sub-Zero and Scorpion was in pre production but was canceled when Midway was dying.

Tharts hardcore :lol. Seriously, I never really noticed those things. I was just like, this kinda fits together and is nostalgic and cool and I love it :D. I'm guessing the guys who developed SM didn't play through mythologies (and I don't blame em, I didn't get past the first level before I stopped playing).

They never really gave the reason as to why Fire & Ice was cancelled though-- I'm guessing it happened when Midway signed a deal with TNA and needed a team to develop a game quickly.

vixlar

I am really excited for this game. What I really like is that is not only being interesting because the fatalities and violence and blood and all of that, but because the game looks fun and interesting. I mean, in MK1 all the characters had the same basic movements, even the same throws, well, the ninjas had a different throw, but it was the same betwwen them. I think even the winning position was the same.

MK2 it was the best for me, even when the characters had the same basic movements, they felt different. In MK3 they tried to make them more different, but I think the run button was a bad decision. Those strange and unintuitive combos, well, I don't think they added fun to the game.

And well, I didn't play 3D MK's, but I remember something about weapons and fighting stances and premade combos, but those games were slow.

And now, we have a game with its own style, with references to the first games, with an unprecedent level of violence, with a good combo system, with a power bar "inspired" on that of SF4. The X-ray move is not only for visual, it seems it has different uses on each character. With Sektor it is a projectile move, and for Cage it is a counter move. The only thing I don't like is that the defeat animation is like that from MK3.

And the violence and the gore... it is like Boon said "fuck all the world and the congress and Australia, I want blood all over my screen". Now the only pending is the plot.

And well, I can see how one of the original creators of this series give all of his love to his child, and I, as a gamer, couldn't be happier.

vixlar said:
And well, I didn't play 3D MK's, but I remember something about weapons and fighting stances and premade combos, but those games were slow.
:(

I don't think the games were that slow, Deadly Alliance was a little slow but Deception was faster and Armageddon was even faster.

Really, at the very least get Shaolin Monks and play it with a friend. I loved Deception/Konquest as well but I get why people might not like that (but it is a cool exploration of the MK universe). I still think theres a lot of fun to had playing the game and unlocking everything. The Krypt is a really really satisfying game mechanic in that game. Amageddon's Konquest wasn't as good and they basically cut the second stance from all the characters in Deception so they could spread them out among the new characters in Armageddon, but the gameplay is closer to 2D MKs.

I got lucky and found a copy of MK Kollection for PS2 this weekend (never knew why I got rid of it), not sure if you'll ever be able to find it. But if you find any of those games they are worth picking up IMO. Or grab MK Unchained from PSN, its basically Deception with 6 extra characters from Deadly Alliance/Armageddon thrown in.

shuri

Banned
fernoca said:
As crappy as Annihilation was; they hadled the whole invasion thing quite well..compared to the own games.."Look the world was invaded; lets take turns and fight"..heck Sub-Zero was in the run from Sektor and Cyrax..yet he takes a break to participate in a tournament, on which the ones following also enlisted themselves to participate..while the whole world was just invaded.

Is not like it has to make sense..but still... :lol
My take is that the fights in MK3 didnt happen during a tournament, it was just fights happening as they would randomly run into each other during the invasion, escaping from Khan's extermination squads. This explains all the stages.. a random street; a bank; the top of a building; the church, the cemetary; while mk1-2 had 'arena' type stages (mk1's courtyard, The Arena, the pits), etc.

Also, I read on that mk wiki I linked earlier that Noob Saibot is actually the original Sub Zero who was killed in the first tournament returning in the form of an avenging spirit, just like Scoropion :lol This is an awesome twist!

Also; I remember reading somewhere that Reptile was able to keep his human look in MK1 simply because of Shang Tsung's dark magic in exchange of being a bodyguard. When Shang was defeated, Reptile became masterless and without Shang's magic, he started to return to his reptilian form more and more. That's why he was slowly degenerating into a lizard man more and more with each game.

edit: posting in this thread makes me sound like I'm back in 1995 and i'm 14 years old again.

Anyanka

Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon are slow but what's worse is how stiff and clunky they feel. They're janky even by MK standards. The hit and block stun in those games is so messed up. DC Universe is the only 3D MK worth playing IMO.

A lot of the characters didn't even feel like themselves in those games. I mean Kitana in DA and Unchained is terrible. They took this character known for zoning with a powerful air projectile and strong anti air moves and turned her into a generic 3D fighting game character with almost no connection to how she played before.

RiZ III

The Lamonster said:
Going to pick up MK vs DC today. Which version is better, PS3 or Xbox? What are the differences?

360 version looks better but as with any fighting game, the 360 dpad really makes the controlling annoying.

dankir said:
I also liked Yellow, Grey, Black, Purple ( Rain? ) and Orange ( Ermac? )

Too many palette swaps lol.
It was the only way they could fit in more characters. And it worked. MK2 would have looked like slim pickings if it only had 9 characters for example.

Anyanka said:
Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon are slow but what's worse is how stiff and clunky they feel. They're janky even by MK standards. The hit and block stun in those games is so messed up. DC Universe is the only 3D MK worth playing IMO.

A lot of the characters didn't even feel like themselves in those games. I mean Kitana in DA and Unchained is terrible. They took this character known for zoning with a powerful air projectile and strong anti air moves and turned her into a generic 3D fighting game character with almost no connection to how she played before.
Maybe as a tournament fighter its janky but I still had a lot of fun with Deception and Armageddon, both with the single player parts and playing with my brother and friends (who are casual gamers). Its just a really easy game to pick up and play.

My MK game rankings are as follows

MK2 > Deception > UMK3 > Shaolin Monks > MK3 > Armageddon > MK1 > MK4

Didn't play enough of Deadly Alliance or MK vs DC to rank them, but my guess is they wouldn't be very high.

Anyanka

I always thought 3 max should be the rule for palatte swap ninjas. Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile were fine. 3 girl ninjas and 3 robot ninjas was fine. When you've got a rainbow ninja that's a reference to a Prince song you know it's crossed the line.

Anyanka said:
I always thought 3 max should be the rule for palatte swap ninjas. Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile were fine. 3 girl ninjas and 3 robot ninjas was fine. When you've got a rainbow ninja that's a reference to a Prince song you know it's crossed the line.
Rain was only there to get people to put coins into the arcade to try and figure out how to unlock him. His name wasn't even the same font as other MK fighters in the attract mode.

ra1nod5.png

Thankfully they redesigned him in the 3D games. And as mentioned before, Ermac had an awesome redesign as well. Even Sub-Zero and Scorpion are pretty differentiated at this point.

MK's story has always been a little wonky at times.

MK 1-3 were fine. 3 should've been a closure point for the plot and they could've did a SF3 and introduced some new characters and storyline. 4 and beyond did a decent job of explaining the aftermath of 3 while introducing new characters and plot elements. Armageddon for me was the end of the original plot. Bring every character back for 1 last go and have them kill each other in Mortal Kombat. MK vs DCU is non-canon but has a place in DC's Elseworlds. If you wanted to place it in the storyline it would seem that it would be between 2-3. MK9 is the much needed reboot and hopefully will do a better job of being a great story. But that is to be determined.

I did see others post about it so I'll bring it up again. Will WB let Midway re-release UMK3 on XBL or let them finish the DLC for MK vs DCU?

UMK3 needs more than to be re-released. It needs button config, saving the UKK characters and some new emulation wouldn't hurt either.As far as MK vs DCU is concerned, I remember Boon saying that he had more characters up his sleeve other than Quan Chi and Harley Quinn. Some DLC would not only make me but other to pick it back up as well. I see the possible sequel coming after MK9 using its resources to make an even better game. But we'll see how that goes.

Anyanka

Yeah that's how he started, then he's put into SNES/Genesis UMK3 and Trilogy and was broken and lame.

In UMK3/Trilogy they got super lazy with the ninjas. Rain, C. Sub, H. Smoke, Ermac and Noob are all cut and paste jobs with hardly any original animation.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Anyanka said:
Yeah that's how he started, then he's put into SNES/Genesis UMK3 and Trilogy and was broken and lame.

In UMK3/Trilogy they got super lazy with the ninjas. Rain, C. Sub, H. Smoke, Ermac and Noob are all cut and paste jobs with hardly any original animation.
Yeah, never liked the Ninjas starting from UMK3.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
You know what would be awesome? MK... in EVO 2011 !!!
Yeah, MK as a kompetitive game would be A W E S O M E

Anyanka said:

I don't really count the home versions of UMK3 and Trilogy as being part of the series. I get the feeling that those were done by third parties (I know for sure MKT was) and those guys didn't give a shit about balancing the games. They just threw everything they could into the game to make it sell. MKT was super broken, I believe Noob and Rain both had infinite combos and there may have been some others as well.

The production values on MKT in general sucked. The music was wrong on a lot of stages, the art was messed up on some of the backgrounds, some notable MK1 stages were missing, there was no end of fight music change. It was a crap job. But I still had fun playing the hell out of it with my brother :D

Speaking of home versions though, the Genesis version of MK3 was an impressive feat, they fit everything from the arcade game and even if you had a 3 button controller you pretty much could do everything you could in the arcade game. It put the Genesis version of MK2 to shame (MK2 looked very cartoony on Genesis and was missing a ton of voice work).

infinityBCRT said:
I don't really count the home versions of UMK3 and Trilogy as being part of the series. I get the feeling that those were done by third parties (I know for sure MKT was) and those guys didn't give a shit about balancing the games. They just threw everything they could into the game to make it sell. MKT was super broken, I believe Noob and Rain both had infinite combos and there may have been some others as well.

The production values on MKT in general sucked. The music was wrong on a lot of stages, the art was messed up on some of the backgrounds, some notable MK1 stages were missing, there was no end of fight music change. It was a crap job. But I still had fun playing the hell out of it with my brother :D

Speaking of home versions though, the Genesis version of MK3 was an impressive feat, they fit everything from the arcade game and even if you had a 3 button controller you pretty much could do everything you could in the arcade game. It put the Genesis version of MK2 to shame (MK2 looked very cartoony on Genesis and was missing a ton of voice work).

I also remember that in the SNES UMK3 they took out the announcer voices and only had like 5 stages. Correct me if I am wrong but Sheeva was removed as well?

MK3 the games got lazy. The worst animation by far, I remember the fatalities that involved decapitation had the character still standing up, but what made it look really weird is that if it was a character with long hair the head would roll off with the hair still connected to the body.....god damn it looked awful at times and felt cheap even compared to MK1.

Host Samurai said:
I also remember that in the SNES UMK3 they took out the announcer voices and only had like 5 stages. Correct me if I am wrong but Sheeva was removed as well?

MK3 the games got lazy. The worst animation by far, I remember the fatalities that involved decapitation had the character still standing up, but what made it look really weird is that if it was a character with long hair the head would roll off with the hair still connected to the body.....god damn it looked awful at times and felt cheap even compared to MK1.

Yeah, UMK3 on consoles (particularly SNES version) was an obvious beta, if it was even a beta. Moves were missing, they cut Sheeva (but that was from the start), it STILL had pieces of MK3 in it like the Smoke code (you could select Sheeva in the endless fight mode and crash the game!) and it was just very, very slapped together. It was one of the most easily crashable games on the SNES I've ever seen.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Host Samurai said:

It always felt to me like the standard trilogy form that a lot of things (games, movies, etc.) tend to follow -

Original - Look at how cool this thing that we made is!
Sequel - Look at how what we made is bigger and better in every conceivable way now that we proved ourself in the original and thus have better funding and support!
Third - Oh shit, what's our deadline for this to be finished again? DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY GOOD IDEAS LEFT?

S1kkZ

i am worried what happens when the new game is a hit. then there will be a sequel and things will go downhill again.

looks like they already put everything into this game that the fans want and love.

Monroeski said:
It always felt to me like the standard trilogy form that a lot of things (games, movies, etc.) tend to follow -

Original - Look at how cool this thing that we made is!
Sequel - Look at how what we made is bigger and better in every conceivable way now that we proved ourself in the original and thus have better funding and support!
Third - Oh shit, what's our deadline for this to be finished again? DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY GOOD IDEAS LEFT?
I'd say DA, Deception and Armageddon also fit that as well.

fernoca

Hehe..missed this small info..
The end of this particular interview also reveals Ed was awarded with a Guinness world record for the longest running US voice actor (for the role of Scorpion) at the E3 show this year. He took over the crown from Mario's voice actor when it was determined Mario was not voiced until Super Mario 64.
Congratulations...I think... :lol

I'm honestly shocked at how many people in this thread aren't familar with MK's storyline. It has a ton of plotholes because of the sheer amount of games but its still pretty cool and i've always appricated that they took it somehwat seriously as opposed to Tekken and Street Fighter.

abstract alien said:
My mind is seriously blown by this.

You find this out in one of the endings in Deception. Noob Saibot is the soul of the first sub zero who was killed by Scorpion in MK 1. When he was first introduced in MK II it was said that he was a lost soul wandering around the neatherrealm so it was a great retcon.

Anticitizen One said:
I'm honestly shocked at how many people in this thread aren't familar with MK's storyline. It has a ton of plotholes because of the sheer amount of games but its still pretty cool and i've always appricated that they took it somehwat seriously as opposed to Tekken and Street Fighter.

You find this out in one of the endings in Deception. Noob Saibot is the soul of the first sub zero who was killed by Scorpion in MK 1. When he was first introduced in MK II it was said that he was a lost soul wandering around the neatherrealm so it was a great retcon.
I really kept up with MK with I-III, but after that my love for the gameplay started to die with the newer iterations, and so did any chance at me wanting to know the story. People were always shocked when I told them about the whole "sub zero's brother" situation :lol

This Noob/Sub Zero info is amazing for me...such an awesome touch.

Kweh

The fights seem to flow pretty well, especially in the tag team matchups, looks like they'll be just as fun to watch as to play. The game also has a lot of nice touches with their entrances, and when tag team members fall into the acid on stages like the Dead Pool.

TreIII

abstract alien said:
I really kept up with MK with I-III, but after that my love for the gameplay started to die with the newer iterations, and so did any chance at me wanting to know the story. People were always shocked when I told them about the whole "sub zero's brother" situation :lol

This Noob/Sub Zero info is amazing for me...such an awesome touch.

This, to me, just makes it more interesting to me, wondering how some things may get changed around. If the Sub Zero we see in this game is the original, who doesn't get turned to Noob later, then what does that leave for the younger brother? Maybe we might see a Sub-Zero Lin Kuei Cyborg after all? :D

Not to mention that Raiden in Sub Zero Mythologies (yeah, yeah...I actually did play through that game on a BB Rental! :lol) hinted that the elder Sub Zero's fate was basically left up to his own devices. If he didn't get killed by Scorpion, then maybe he would get a chance to change the fate he didn't get the chance to in the original storyline.

Ah, gotta love this complicated storyline stuff. :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
infinityBCRT said:
Maybe as a tournament fighter its janky but I still had a lot of fun with Deception and Armageddon, both with the single player parts and playing with my brother and friends (who are casual gamers). Its just a really easy game to pick up and play.

My MK game rankings are as follows

MK2 > Deception > UMK3 > Shaolin Monks > MK3 > Armageddon > MK1 > MK4

Didn't play enough of Deadly Alliance or MK vs DC to rank them, but my guess is they wouldn't be very high.
I never really understood the MK4 hate.

derFeef

I could watch the gamespot and youtube footage all day long. This looks so polished and fun already. Give it to me now!

ScOULaris said:
Yeah, back before they really started to emphasize Reptile's reptilian nature, he was more of a mysterious, badass ninja. In MK2 and Ultimate MK3, they treated him kind of like Mileena. He looked human until he took off his mask to reveal a lizard face. That is the reptile that I loved in the classic MK games.

Lizardman Reptile from all of the recent games can suck my balls. He looks more like a joke now than a badass.

This is exactly how I feel. I don't mind this new lizard look but yeah... Reptile was supposed to be disguised as a human and only revealed his true form when he unmasked himself. That added to the awesomeness :D. Now it's just... "Yep, I'm a lizard. Check out my teeth and scales."

Mr_Zombie

SapientWolf said:

It wasn't a bad game (I even like it), but:
- the first proper 3D Mortal Kombat game; PSX 3d models < sprites made based on real people
- the blood drops were HUGE! :/
- weapons that in the end added very little to the actual gameplay
- "breakers" and the horrible sidesteping - both overused by CPU
- new characters were meh

SapientWolf said:
I thought it was a little goofy. The animations were exaggerated/too fast. The select screen sounds were annoying. Music wasn't as distinct and memorable as the first three games. Voice acting was comical ("aaaah my leg!"). Blood drops were way too big and looked stupid. 3D movement was pointless/clunky. New characters weren't likeable at all. And home versions also looked pretty bad compared to the arcade version. It wasn't until MK Gold that a decent version of MK4 came home.

edit: that being said, imagine how awesome MK4 could have been if they stuck to 2D art for the backgrounds and used the 3D for the characters alone and also tried to make the game animate at the same speed as MK3

TreIII said:
This, to me, just makes it more interesting to me, wondering how some things may get changed around. If the Sub Zero we see in this game is the original, who doesn't get turned to Noob later, then what does that leave for the younger brother? Maybe we might see a Sub-Zero Lin Kuei Cyborg after all? :D
Thats totally my theory. My guess is Smoke or Cyrax doesn't become a cyborg (as Boon hinted at) and that would leave the younger Sub-Zero to become a cyborg.

infinityBCRT said:
I thought it was a little goofy. The animations were exaggerated/too fast. The select screen sounds were annoying. Music wasn't as distinct and memorable as the first three games. Voice acting was comical ("aaaah my leg!"). Blood drops were way too big and looked stupid. 3D movement was pointless/clunky. New characters weren't likeable at all. And home versions also looked pretty bad compared to the arcade version. It wasn't until MK Gold that a decent version of MK4 came home.

edit: that being said, imagine how awesome MK4 could have been if they stuck to 2D art for the backgrounds and used the 3D for the characters alone and also tried to make the game animate at the same speed as MK3

-- Select screen sounds? Really? You're really complaining about that?

-- You speak as if the voice acting in other MK games wasn't goofy. Have you ever heard the stupid shit Raiden says when he's doing his Torpedo in MKII (openupandsayahhh!!!) and Liu Kang says when he's doing his bicycle kick (whatsupwitdaaaaaat???) in MK3?

-- Blood drops were too big? Were you a-okay with people ending up having five legs and two rib cages after fatalities in MKII and MK3?

I understand if you didn't like the game, but can we get some real criticisms instead of this fluff?

AnEternalEnigma said:
-- Select screen sounds? Really? You're really complaining about that?

-- You speak as if the voice acting in other MK games wasn't goofy. Have you ever heard the stupid shit Raiden says when he's doing his Torpedo in MKII (openupandsayahhh!!!) and Liu Kang says when he's doing his bicycle kick (whatsupwitdaaaaaat???) in MK3?

-- Blood drops were too big? Were you a-okay with people ending up having five legs and two rib cages after fatalities in MKII and MK3?

I understand if you didn't like the game, but can we get some real criticisms instead of this stuff?
I hated the million bones crap in MK3 too. But that was just one thing I didn't like about that game. There were some new things that I did like in MK3. In MK4 there was nothing new that I liked. Anything good about that game was pretty much remnants of the 2D games.

Also if I didn't mention it before, the announcer was crap in MK4. He tried to sound serious but it was overdone and sounded comical. I just couldn't take that game seriously whereas I thought MK1-3 were pretty bad ass. Things did start to fall apart in MK3 when you look at the fatalities and animalities that they had, but it wasn't until MK4 that I felt the wheels fell off.

edit: there were just a bunch of small touches (and some big touches) that were off for me with MK4. Maybe that stuff didn't bother you or maybe MK4 was the first MK game you really fell in love with so for whatever reason you never felt anything was missing. For me (and by the way it seems, for a lot of people), there was just a bunch of small things missing or off which added up into not liking the game as much as it could have been liked. Even the select screen art for all the characters seemed a little lifeless with the 3D renders they used. And to be fair, I'm not a fan of the select screen art they are using in MK9 right now (for the thumbnails that is; the big character art on the left and right side of the screen look fine because the characters aren't looking directly at the camera), the unmasked characters faces don't look good-- would look much better if they went the hand drawn route. But theres a ****ton**** to like about MK9 and a lot of improvements over the last few games that I like it way more than I dislike it at this point. One or two small things won't get me to hate a game.

picked up MKII on PSN today on a whim. Not a bad pickup for $5. The initial interface is horrible, but once you get to the game it's pretty much arcade perfect from what I can tell. All of SubZero's moves started coming back to me, pulled off a couple stage fatalities. Cool stuff. Game is hard as fuck though. I set it all the way down to 1 on difficulty and still got my ass handed to me by the CPU. Man what is it with these arcade fighting game ports being tough as nails?

Anyway hope Warner/Netherworld are preparing a proper UMK3 port for XBLA/PSN soon to coincide with the release of the new game.

Top Bottom