• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat: New Trailer with New Characters Revealed

Looked really good. I just could never get into the controller inputs for MK, but always loved the games, but only really played the CPU modes.

justonething

Jada's BFF
For reference here is what Ashrah looked like before uglification and turned into a Stark Trek mutant:

orig

Havik also doesn't look terrifying as he's supposed.
578e1eb5e764f676a74fc35e9e2641a8--mortal-kombat.jpg

Trailer itself again was more Marvel movie than Mortal Kombat. Boon trying his best to sterilize Mortal Kombat.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The first few characters they revealed made the game look dull and boring.

A lot of these new characters are having a lot more peronality. It's great to see.

kunonabi

Only really liked havik's redesign. I was looking forward to Ashrah too. Never really thought of Reptile as some white dude bro but here we are. At least Sareena looks good.

Pejo

I'm just watching these trailers for the backgrounds/stages. Really cool stuff there.

Reptile is the first character that I actually like the look of. All of the females continue to be ugly and unappealing.

This is the way for western devs.
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

ReBurn

Gold Member
Super creative and cool direction they went with, with all of them. Reptile is filled with personality.

Still seems like a "movie first, video game second", type of game.

But don't mind my complaining.
Really liking the direction MK 1 is going, besides gameplay.
Story mode in the last several MK games has been focused on the cinematic elements. Not much different from 10 and 11 in that regard. They also had the 1v1, towers and online multiplayer if you didn't want to do the story. Well rounded games in my opinion.

Unrelated but I am still hoping they bring back test your luck and test your might. The modifier towers in MK11 replaced test your luck but it wasn't the same hilarity as the matches in MK10 where you set up your own disasters.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m definitely playing this day one. Love everything I’m seeing except Ermacs new look lol.

Reptile main for now unless something more bad ass is shown. Was gonna rock new Liu Kang but this new reptile is pure fire.

MiguelItUp

Reptile has been my favorite since MK2, so this makes me super excited about the game. Love the way he looks too. I still wish the game played and felt more like 9 than X/11, but it is what it is.

Some of the art still looks weird to me. Some looks good to me, some looks odd, almost like it doesn't blend well or something.

Last edited:

Soltype

Looked lame before, seems you need to find a different game.
Move On No GIF by HBO Max
Being honest it looked lame before and after, but these new games seem to be taking themselves too serious. You have all these goofy looking people with a straight face at least with the older games you had that low brow feel. These last couple games feel like they're trying to church up mortal kombat, it'll never work. The series is intertwined with being trashy, they keep trying to take that away and leave the violence, it doesn't work.

Soodanim

For reference here is what Ashrah looked like before uglification and turned into a Stark Trek mutant:

orig

Trailer itself again was more Marvel movie than Mortal Kombat. Boon trying his best to sterilize Mortal Kombat.
What was Ashrah before this? I played 100% of each of those PS2 games and I couldn't tell you the first thing about her, nor Havik for that matter.

Havik looks more sterilised to me.

I like that they gave Reptile an actual story rather than the extremely weird story OG timeline had. Starts to devolve from human into reptile and becomes the vessel for Blaze the final final boss or some shit, whatever that was.

I'm not sure how I feel about the true form. It looks better than skinny PS2 era Reptile, but there's something that doesn't do it for me about the new design. I'll take it though.

Ozriel

M$FT
Being honest it looked lame before and after, but these new games seem to be taking themselves too serious. You have all these goofy looking people with a straight face at least with the older games you had that low brow feel. These last couple games feel like they're trying to church up mortal kombat, it'll never work. The series is intertwined with being trashy, they keep trying to take that away and leave the violence, it doesn't work.

Seeing “The game is looking less trashy” being spun up as A Bad Thing is quite hilarious

This is certainly not the first MK with a genre leading cinematic story mode. It’s very much a video game, first and foremost.

orig

Sterilize? did you see the violence in this game? lol I don't get you guys who want girls in a fighting game dressed like strippers, after a certain age that crap gets embarrassing, I was embarrassed for Mileena's outfit in MK9. Havik looks disgusting btw, did you actually watch his moves? his animations are disgusting in the best possible way. His torso spins, he breaks his own neck, rips his own limbs off etc.

Seeing “The game is looking less trashy” being spun up as A Bad Thing is quite hilarious

This is certainly not the first MK with a genre leading cinematic story mode. It’s very much a video game, first and foremost.
The fact that NRS always puts a great story mode in is what makes MK my favorite fighting game franchise of all time, hell it's one of my favorite video game series of all time.

Vox Machina

Banned
Not a Fan of those Tag Team moves, but Reptile looks cool.

Same. I hate Tag Team fighters. They usually devolve into a mess of unreadable nonsense on the screen. (Looking at you Dragon Ball FighterZ)

MK1 at least looks more readable due to it's art style but can't say I'm a fan of the decision anyways.

mdkirby

Looks fun. It’s pretty much the only beat-em up I play these days. I grab em on deep sales, play thorough the story and then put it down.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Jesus....the texture work in this game is on another level.
How the fuck are they getting Unreal to produce such good looking cloth in real time?
I really hope these guys are at GDC or Siggraph next year, they must tell me their secrets!!

MuVEyiP.png

I take it you havent played any of the recent Mortal Kombats' story modes huh?
And when not in story mode, do you really expect cutscenes everywhere?

One of the reasons the recent MKs have been so accessible is actually because they have sizeable story modes with dare I call it "production values" so even if you arent a competitive player you feel like you got your moneys worth.

Davevil

Am I wrong or is MK one of the few franchises that after a few falls has recovered to become one of the most important productions in the videogame scene?

justonething

Jada's BFF
Sterilize? did you see the violence in this game? lol I don't get you guys who want girls in a fighting game dressed like strippers, after a certain age that crap gets embarrassing, I was embarrassed for Mileena's outfit in MK9. Havik looks disgusting btw, did you actually watch his moves? his animations are disgusting in the best possible way. His torso spins, he breaks his own neck, rips his own limbs off etc.
Is Ashrah dressed like a stripper in the pic I showed? How did you infer sterile to mean violance in my post?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Is Ashrah dressed like a stripper in the pic I showed? How did you infer sterile to mean violance in my post?
Say what you mean then.

What exactly is your point?
Ashrah a former demon, looks more humanoid but still has demonic features - problem?
Havik looks incredible - problem?
Reptile my G is a goon now - problem?

Whats exactly has been sterilized in this MK?
Dont speak in parables, just give us you point as concisely as you can so we can maybe understand where you are coming from.

She is the divorced wife of Abraham's god, so there isn't much lore to use really. Nice that she is the side of good but her PR get damaged pretty badly by Deuteronomy 16:21.

Nickolaidas

My boy is back.

It's been nearly two decades, but he's back.

Jesus Christ, what an amazing roster this game's is shaping up to be.

daclynk

Go Ahead Yes GIF

Game looking great so far.
MAN fighting game Fans are eating good this year. SF6, Tekken 8, KI and now MK1 all in the same year. What a time to be alive.

daclynk

How the fuck are they getting Unreal to produce such good looking cloth in real time?
I really hope these guys are at GDC or Siggraph next year, they must tell me their secrets!!

MuVEyiP.png

One of the reasons the recent MKs have been so accessible is actually because they have sizeable story modes with dare I call it "production values" so even if you arent a competitive player you feel like you got your moneys worth.
and this is Unreal Engine 4, cant wait to see what they do with Injustice 3 in Unreal Engine 5.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't know that low brow or trashy is how I would describe MK. It was always about over the top violence and the urgent threat to life as we know it. That's why the characters are serious. They have never been anything but.

The goofy looking people are a product of the goofy character design choices the MK team has made over the decades. Sonya Blade should probably have never been dressed in full body spandex if she was a special forces agent, but there she was. As queen of outworld Sindel probably shouldn't have been dressed in a leotard that was open down to her navel. As special forces Jax probably should have had a shirt on and real pants. But in those days some video game characters were expected to have more sex appeal than practicality. Now there are fans that expect certain characters to maintain their designs even though they may be kind of ridiculous.

NeoRaider

MuVEyiP.png

These are CGI cutscenes.

Ashrah design is amazing and she got the real glow up! Sareena stole the show imo. She looks absolutely incredible, has both forms... Too bad she is kameo only. But she looks way too detailed to be kameo only, my guess is that she will be part of the KP2.

saintjules

Imagine if we never saw a MK11 last gen and saw this for the first time this gen, I would have said this was current-gen gfx.

Looks really polished. Setting a new standard for 3D fighters. This is the way.

GrayFoxPL

Reptlie the boss with Stryker?

4D2Sfss.gif

rYTYkQ9.gif

mavqKVF.gif

ITLr6dv.gif

Also why is everyone's faces look like they're 15-18 years old? Because it's MK1?

MiguelItUp

Really hoping the PC port is even better this time around. 9 was alright, X was awful, 11 was a bit better, hopefully this is even better. Hopefully it has crossplay across all platforms too. MK11 not having it on PC didn't do it any favors at all.

Top Bottom