• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat used to be scary

Here is some classic stuff:

Here is the modern stuff:

i think what made the classic game so much more scary is how crude everything was compared to today

the costumes, the stages, the fighting.. it was all kinda basic compared to the high flying fast paced detailed action we have today

IMO MK could benefit by being a little more basic.. less is more principle

the stages today are too pretty and a little too dynamic rather than unsettling, making it cartoonish

fatalities are also too cinematic and over the top

another thing that makes the old games scarier is how unsettling the music tracks are

i think if mortal kombat 2 was laced with modern graphics it would be a terrifying game

Last edited:

Diddy X

What scares us is the unknown.

In the early MK graphics were pretty basic and storytelling was almost nonexistant so all that is left to imagination.

They set the tone with crude music, gory violence and some dark magic.

Now modern MK is overproduced so there is nothing to imagine, they tell you the whole story and graphics are well detailed on what is going on.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Classic mortal kombat has been dead ever since ed boon started his midlife crisis. The music lol:

To be fair, there's somewhat of an intersect between the hip hop community, FGC, and MK. The same can be said for Marvel Vs Capcom also. At least Ed Boon's team acknowledged it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SSfox

MK11 is great, been playing it often since it was release, but NRS need to refocus on more mystical tone and a bit less on the gun pan pan characters, saying that at the same i like Erron and he's my favorite character in MK, and in this case it brought a wild west cowboy which honestly i always wanted to see in MK (funfact, back when i was kid i though for years that kung lao was cowboy lol, of course he's not he is a Monk). But still, i think MK need more characters ala Raiden Kitana and Kung Lao and less character like Jacquie, Robocop and Cassie.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

MK wasnt scary in the sense of Horror, but maybe the first two were shocking , since no one was ready for it.

Last edited:
I remember when Mortal Kombat hit arcades.

You'd often go to the arcade and everyone would be scattered out at random Arcade Cabinets, there were typically from 5 to 15 people at the local Putt-Putt Arcade.

Then Mortal Kombat launched - we got word on the news that a new photoreal game had released at arcades and IMMEDIATELY went to Putt-Putt to see what was going on.

Entered the door, looked to the right. Couldn't see the actual machine but there was a crowd of about 40 people surrounding one Arcade Machine. That machine was Mortal Kombat.

I was fairly young at the time, and not only did it have everyone speculating about whether or not this was "It" - the start of Photorealistic Arcade Games. Once I finally got to play a round
not only was I stunned - I found everything about it Terrifying. People being ripped apart while crowds in the background cheered on. Pure Madness. It was simply, as a kid - just utterly not what I thought
would be pulling massive crowds and leaving the rest of the Arcade Machines empty. And it still managed to be completely stunning.

And Horrifying. One moment your watching these fairly normal looking guys beat the heck out of each other, blood spattering everywhere and it was like a cool fight scene from a movie.

The next match the guy is facing down Gorro and Gorro is literally ripping the man in part at the end. Sometimes with a crowd of Demons and Monsters cheering in the background. This game was utterly horrifying as a kid. In fact most people described it as a nightmarish experience because no game before it had done anything like put photoreal demons in the background cheering and eating flesh, while a guy is getting ripped apart in the foreground. And it was the fact that it was this And also at the same time so beautiful that it was hard to look away from due to the sheer visual splendor on screen.

Most described it as nightmarish/hellish/terrifying on release.

It was at that moment when I realized graphics when fully realized - are the most important aspect to gaming if you want large amounts of peoples attention - and massive appeal. No other
metric will capture nearly as many peoples eye, as amazing visuals. I'd never witnessed anything like that before - and then crowds literally of 100 guys gathered up to spectate and play MK.

Kids nowadays will never have a concept of this phenomenon. And even people now, who are pretending to have been at the Arcades when that game hit - they weren't or they'd know.
There's a difference between being around an Arcade at the time a game like that launches, and then being the guy that is for the first time checking it at an arcade out 3 years later after the graphics/gore
are surpassed and hype dies down.

The later wouldn't understand.

Have been a hardcore gamer before all that, but hardcore graphics enthusiast ever since.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
I think this is a trend with older games, for example ocarina of time can be a horror game sometimes, same with a link to the past. The graphics limitation had something to do with it.

matty3092

Can't remember which mortal kombat it was but I remember in one of them the krypt had really a really eerie atmosphere with screams etc I think

The only scary MK was the original....and its the same thing the movies have never gotten right. Less is more.

The original Mk was an exotic kumite type underground fighting tournament that had hints of mysticism. With the exception of the projectile moves it was pretty realistic but when the fatalities came out it suddenly felt occult and dark and scary. Players didnt even know about the fatalities at first. Its not until you get to the end and Goro is revealed that you realize its out of this world dark stuff.

Theres lots of disturbing faerytales and religions and other tall tales from ancient asia...instead in 2 and 3 and onward it just became ..i dont know...typical western looking designs.

Once you went full offworld..everyones a monster..it just became too normal to be scary.

There could have been a really good dark horror fighting film like that...Enter the dragon that goes off the wall halfway through when someone rips out a spine.

Last edited:

Athreous

The new MK games are a gore festival with free violence >_<

I mean, you almost use a lot of fatalities during the fight... You break the whole skull, you fatally damage organs, bones, etc... and sudenly, you are still alive and moving, just to be killed with a fatality at the end (but you should be dead already)

The only scary MK was the original....and its the same thing the movies have never gotten right. Less is more.

The original Mk was an exotic kumite type underground fighting tournament that had hints of mysticism. With the exception of the projectile moves it was pretty realistic but when the fatalities came out it suddenly felt occult and dark and scary. Players didnt even know about the fatalities at first. Its not until you get to the end and Goro is revealed that you realize its out of this world dark stuff.

Theres lots of disturbing faerytales and religions and other tall tales from ancient asia...instead in 2 and 3 and onward it just became ..i dont know...typical western looking designs.

Once you went full offworld..everyones a monster..it just became too normal to be scary.

There could have been a really good dark horror fighting film like that...Enter the dragon that goes off the wall halfway through when someone rips out a spine.
absolutely spot on

the contrast between the ordinary bloodsport style vs. the dark, ominous fatality ending is terrifying

i would love it if MK1 was remade with the only difference being a modern day production

i would love to play that game

that to me is mortal kombat

The new MK games are a gore festival with free violence >_<

I mean, you almost use a lot of fatalities during the fight... You break the whole skull, you fatally damage organs, bones, etc... and sudenly, you are still alive and moving, just to be killed with a fatality at the end (but you should be dead already)
yes

i am not a fan of all the "mini fatalities"

i know in the old games baraka has the blades and he'll chop you up mid fight, yet you would still stand up

somehow i find that to not be a problem vs todays x-ray mangle fest

i guess it's because baraka's scissor move is very brief

same goes for scorpion's spear, subzero's freezing abilities, reptile's acid, etc.

it's not done in slow motion and it's not done in a cinematic fashion like it is in the newer games where it's treated in the same fashion as more of a finisher.. without actually being a finisher

Last edited:

Soltype

First 2 games definitely had an eerie feeling to them.I think the crude graphics helped in this aspect.Even 3 had a vibe to it

Last edited:

Proper take right here.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Gold Member
I do think this track from MK3 is moody af though, especially the PS1 version which was slowed down, it at least made facing Shao Khan feel serious:

Soodanim

For the few fatalities in the OP video that I watched before I got bored, you can see the areas that haven’t progressed from the late PS2 games. Not even a single fatality got any sort of reaction from me, and they’re all far too long. If I played online and someone did one of those to me I’d get be offended by the time wasting, not the originally intended insulting punishment inflicted on your opponent.

I was super into MK all the way through to 9, then didn’t buy X because the PC port was shit. They did me a favour, because the series has become a parody of itself with nowhere to go.

I’ll leave you with the best music the series has ever had.

Last edited:
Yeah, I dont agree. Maybe MK1 was kinda serious but generally speaking since MK2 and the brutalities...having 7 pairs of hands and 3 heads lying around that supposedly came from a single fighter...it was always over the top and goofy at times. There were some stages though that did have a bit more somber feel mainly due to the music connected to that stage:

The Church in MK3
Outworld bridge in MK2
Subway in MK3 etc

MK Was terrifying because when it was released - not only did it hit the news immediately that it had landed in arcades and that American Ed Boon and Activision had created a Photorealistic game. It was obvious
the moment you walked into the arcade that it was cutting bleeding edge technology. The sounds were brutally clear human voices that could be heard clear across the Arcade. The graphics unlike anything ever seen. That's what made it special. It wasn't crude when it hit arcades, it wasn't "basic" - it was like looking into The Matrix. Which made it far more visceral and terrifying. The Graphics did not feel or look "Limited" or "Basic" at release - they were considered 18 years ahead of what anyone thought possible on MK's Launch.

This was the metric used when describing the visuals of Mortal Kombat. Which made the visuals in Mortal Kombat to most - difficult to cope with. Such interactive horror had never been seen or witnessed before until
MK was released and it managed to surpass everyone's expectations of what could be done visually as it really was commonly referred to as being at least 15 years ahead of curve. And Gorier than anything interactive released before it. MK was literally considered top tier technology, an American Jewel that exceeded the latest Aircraft Jet Fighter unveiled by the Airforce in technological supremacy and worth discussing, very literally.

And Zelda: Ocarina of Time was not scary to anyone over the age of 3.

Because no one over the Age of 3, that had played Zelda: Ocarina of Time - could possibly find the redundant enemies that appear at the very beginning of the game, Skeleton Warriors and Spider Enemies - which then literally appear again after a minor change to the music score and slightly large clouds appear (which was also a graphical effect that actually occurred once during the middle of the game) at the End of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - scary.

Last edited:
MK Was terrifying because when it was released - not only did it hit the news immediately that it had landed in arcades and that American Ed Boon and Activision had created a Photorealistic game. It was obvious
the moment you walked into the arcade that it was cutting bleeding edge technology. The sounds were brutally clear human voices that could be heard clear across the Arcade. The graphics unlike anything ever seen. That's what made it special. It wasn't crude when it hit arcades, it wasn't "basic" - it was like looking into The Matrix. Which made it far more visceral and terrifying. The Graphics did not feel or look "Limited" or "Basic" at release - they were considered 18 years ahead of what anyone thought possible on MK's Launch.

This was the metric used when describing the visuals of Mortal Kombat. Which made the visuals in Mortal Kombat to - most difficult to cope with. Such interactive horror had never been before been witnessed until
MK was released and it managed to succeed everyone's expectations of what could be done visually as it really was commonly referred to as being at least 15 years ahead of curve. MK was literally considered
top tier technology, an American Jewel that exceeded the latest Aircraft Jet Fighter unveiled by the Airforce in technological supremacy and worth discussing, very literally.

Because no one over the Age of 3, that had played Zelda: Ocarina of Time - could possibly find the redundant enemies that appear at the very beginning of the game, Skeleton Warriors and Spider Enemies - which then literally appear again after a minor change to the music score and slightly large clouds appear (which was also a graphical effect that actually occurred once during the middle of the game) at the End of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - scary.
really enjoyed reading this post lol

LMJ

This was the metric used when describing the visuals of Mortal Kombat. Which made the visuals in Mortal Kombat to most - difficult to cope with. Such interactive horror had never been seen or witnessed before until
MK was released and it managed to surpass everyone's expectations of what could be done visually as it really was commonly referred to as being at least 15 years ahead of curve. And Gorier than anything interactive released before it. MK was literally considered top tier technology, an American Jewel that exceeded the latest Aircraft Jet Fighter unveiled by the Airforce in technological supremacy and worth discussing, very literally.

Mortal Kombat wasn't photo realistic, it did use real models in the OG, but it was never "photorealistic"

it was the fatalities that got the game so much attention from fans to politicians THAT is what put it on the map

As for your Zelda remarks...these two would like a word with you
SW5vDug.jpg

tLIZdIQ.jpg

Mortal Kombat wasn't photo realistic, it did use real models in the OG, but it was never "photorealistic"

it was the fatalities that got the game so much attention from fans to politicians THAT is what put it on the map

SW5vDug.jpg

tLIZdIQ.jpg

at the time MK was plenty photorealistic

SW5vDug.jpg

tLIZdIQ.jpg

LOL it was considered, at launch - bleeding edge and photorealistic no matter what you cite - this game came out years before the fully 3d poly only based rendering metric first appeared in Quake.

No one had seen anything like it and to insist otherwise speaks volumes about your age, and the fact that here I am and I know for a fact it was considered nightmarishly photorealistic at launch - by any gamer
who had to see it the night it hit arcades.

I remember one guy was like "Man I done been to 32 Arcades across the USA for my last vacation specifically to see the best visuals Arcade Games had to offer and aint nothing I seen looked as good or as PhotoReal as this"

And people LITERALLY cited countless times it was 17 years ahead of what anyone thought the industry could do visually. When I was getting dropped off at the movie theater in 97, when talk of Mortal Kombat had finally died down like 2 years before - my parent's were still freaking out warning me I better not be going there to play that "Gory photoreal Mortal Killing Game, Mortal Kombat"

And I kid you not, anyone alive and around and in the arcades during the time of it's Arcade Launch - the buzzword was and remained for years "Photorealistic"

It was Literally considered Americas Crown Jewel Technologically and many magazines cited it as such.

Duke Nukem 3d was cited, by me - as a kid - that never got to actually Play Duke Nukem 3d - on one occasion - but others (and I say others because the arcade was packed with people gawking at Mortal Kombat) quickly sprang up to say "Nuh Uhh Duke Nukem 3d is way more blurry and so Buggy Most PC's cant run it yet, we have to wait till it gets fixed to even really see what it looks like - but looks way more blurry from what we haaaaave seeeen"

And Doom was still mainly Shareware and considered inferior looking to most that had seen MK in action.

Then Tekken 3 came out, and it got crowds - some large - but still far smaller crowds - then Mortal Kombat tried to phase into a 3d polygon based fighter on n64 - and people quit talking about it.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Only MK1, after that one , we got friendships , animalities, babalities.. so it’s been more comedy than scary ..

LMJ

LOL it was considered, at launch - bleeding edge and photorealistic no matter what you cite - this game came out years before the fully 3d poly only based rendering metric first appeared in Quake.

No one had seen anything like it and to insist otherwise speaks volumes about your age, and the fact that here I am and I know for a fact it was considered nightmarishly photorealistic at launch - by any gamer
who had to see it the night it hit arcades.

I remember one guy was like "Man I done been to 37 Arcades across the USA for my last vacation specifically to see the best visuals Arcade Games had to offer and aint nothing I seen looked as good or as PhotoReal as this"

And people LITERALLY cited countless times it was 17 years ahead of what anyone thought the industry could do visually. When I was getting dropped off at the movie theater in 97, when talk of Mortal Kombat had finally died down like 2 years before - my parent's were still freaking out warning me I better not be going there to play that "Gory photoreal Mortal Killing Game, Mortal Kombat"

And I kid you not, anyone alive and around and in the arcades during the time of it's Arcade Launch - the buzzword was and remained for years "Photorealistic"

It was Literally considered Americas Crown Jewel Technologically and many magazines cited it as such.

Duke Nukem 3d was cited, by me - as a kid - that never got to actually Play Duke Nukem 3d - on one occasion - but others (and I say others because the arcade was packed with people gawking at Mortal Kombat) quickly sprang up to say "Nuh Uhh Duke Nukem 3d is way more blurry and so Buggy Most PC's cant run it yet, we have to wait till it gets fixed to even really see what it looks like - but looks way more blurry from what we haaaaave seeeen"

And Doom was still mainly Shareware and considered inferior looking to most that had seen MK in action.

Then Tekken 3 came out, and it got crowds - some large - but still far smaller crowds - then Mortal Kombat tried to phase into a 3d polygon based fighter on n64 - and people quit talking about it.

Perhaps i'm being to literal here...Photo realism to me means reality and game are indistinguishable...to me, this doesn't achieve that...not even back then

oQyiIJu.jpg

Your personal anecdotes aside plenty of people thought it looked amazing, because it used motion captured REAL PEOPLE I'll give you the graphics were incredible (as they were real people/backdrops (but blurrier) but again the main draw of Mortal Kombat was the gore, the fatalities are what made the game super famous and even got the attention of Washington... As a fighter MK was barebones in comparison to StreetFighter 2, but it fit the 90's EXTREME attitude to a tee with the inclusion of blood and said fatalities

The game was one that helped create the ESRB in the first place

Doom came out in 93 and DN3D in 96 first of all...and dude...Mortal K came out in Arcades in 92...Tekken 3 was in 97 at that point MK 2 was out and the draw for gore wasn't as strong, luckily the mechanics for MK II were greatly enhanced as was the roster.

I never played MK in the arcades, the local one never had it. When i was a kid, my dad got it on release for the Commodore Amiga. He wouldnt let me watch him and his friends play it. So, I would sneak onto my old mans Amiga when he wasn’t home. I remember booting it up and being scared (heightened by the fear of being caught). The build up to playing was intense. I obviously didnt know any moves but I was climbing the ladder for a while, before the computer eventually won and pulled off my head, i freaked out.

These were real people on the screen, they didnt just win, they murdered my guy!! I had never witnessed such visual brutality in my young life. Couple this with the dark music & the creepy backgrounds. You had a game that stuck with me for years and years and years... no game hit me like MK1 did. It was a turning point in gaming and my own maturation.

Side note: My dads Amiga is where i first seen porn. I felt sick! Why is she putting that in her mouth!! However, just like MK... i couldn’t look away.

Last edited:
Perhaps i'm being to literal here...Photo realism to me means reality and game are indistinguishable...to me, this doesn't achieve that...not even back then

oQyiIJu.jpg

Your personal anecdotes aside plenty of people thought it looked amazing, because it used motion captured REAL PEOPLE I'll give you the graphics were incredible (as they were real people/backdrops (but blurrier) but again the main draw of Mortal Kombat was the gore, the fatalities are what made the game super famous and even got the attention of Washington... As a fighter MK was barebones in comparison to StreetFighter 2, but it fit the 90's EXTREME attitude to a tee with the inclusion of blood and said fatalities

The game was one that helped create the ESRB in the first place

Doom came out in 93 and DN3D in 96 first of all...and dude...Mortal K came out in Arcades in 92...Tekken 3 was in 97 at that point MK 2 was out and the draw for gore wasn't as strong, luckily the mechanics for MK II were greatly enhanced as was the roster.
No it was mainly the demons feasting on limbs and the photorealistic graphics that really got peoples attention.

It was announced on the news multiple times as being cited as Photoreal - with Geralado Riveria coming on TV during the broadcast stating "I went to see what is being described as the first Photoreal Game immediately when Activision called to let us know it was in Arcades - and though we can only show this screenshot due to the heavy violence depicted within. Everyone else who gathered to see Mortal Komabt agreed that it is the first photoreal game to date - as for my own opinion - I don't know - Is it? Write me and let me know your thoughts"

The fatalities didn't get nearly as much attention compared to it's own launch, gamers kept MK in the News for a long time for being this technical masterpiece.

Then 15 women or some such witnessed it for the first time but didn't make nearly as much noise as it's mere release in Arcades heralded at news stations across the US.

Doom hitting shareware with a early playthrough riding a wave of MK hype, then going full release got a lot of attention. And then Doom got undeserved attention after Columbine which was years and yeaaars later when people were already playing quake and other fully 3d titles.

And this Conversation of Duke Nukem 3d was still relevant considering computer shops received a technical Duke Nukem 3d demo long before the game finalized and released, or even released as shareware.

I have not in fact specified any date incorrectly - the only date I have in fact cited is not related to gaming.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
Scary seems like the wrong word.

Could be a weird unreliable memory mixed with nostalgia where you're remembering some feeling you had in your youth

SkylineRKR

The first 2 were most eerie but they also had comedic value. Like the screams and gibberish, funny stuff flying above The Pit. MK2's fatalities were even more gory, with Kung Lao slicing someone in half, Jax ripping off arms. But at the same time MK2 introduced babalities, friendships, Dan Forden toasty and lots of funny shit.

MK3 is where it got weird. Was it the rating? There were still dismemberments but it looked so lame that no one cared. Parts of character sprites just stood there or just hung in the air, decapped bodies wouldn't fall down. It was like they designed those fatalities in paintbrush or something. MK4 I always thought was kinda grim, dark tone overall and very gory fatalities and I believe no friendships whatsoever. But the incredibly goofy sounds, animations and endings made that game a joke.

What I absolutely don't like in modern mk games are the deadly moves during fights, like xrays or fatal blows, in which characters have broken bones, organs destroyed, and then still keep fighting like nothing happened. Of course it's mk and has not to be realistic, but this really waters down the whole violence feeling (and fatalities) of the game for me

• Strength
Reactions: LMJ

nbkicker

Its never been scary, even when playing the first one in arcades, its like comically over the top, thats why it annoyed me when they tried to say they covered up the woman in the game cause they wouldnt fight dressed like that etc, so after playing every mortal kombat, i didnt purchase the last one and wont be in the future and now just sticking with tekken and soul calibur

Top Bottom