• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat(Vita) |OT| Blood in the Streets

ReaperXL7

Mortal-Kombat-Vita-Trailer.jpg

Release Dates:

NA May 1, 2012
EU May 4, 2012

Mortal Kombat:
This is Mortal Kombat , you know it, you love it, and it's now on Vita. The vita version contains the story mode from the console release of the game, and all of the DLC characters and costumes that have been made available. In addition to this, the game harnesses the PS Vita's touchscreen capabilities, and built-in accelerometer to provide exclusive modes, including: the all-new Challenge Tower mode, and Test Your Slice and Test Your Might modes.

19-Mortal-Kombat-Vita.jpg

Vita Features:

• The same quality Mortal Kombat gaming experience found in the 2011 console version of the game, now made portable at 60 frames per second through PS Vita
  • New features and content exclusively for the PS Vita System, such as touchscreen fatalities and a balancing gameplay mechanic using PS Vita's accelerometer
  • New play modes including a new Challenge Tower mode, and Test Your Slice and Test Your Might modes
  • An extensive lineup of iconic warriors, and DLC previously for the console versions of the game
  • Two-player support in ad hoc or Wi-Fi matches

Details: *Thanks to Lyte Edge*

-The character select screen has been altered; Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain, and Freddy are now on the bottom row instead of "hidden" to the left/right of Kratos/Cyber Sub-Zero.

-All of the characters are available from the start. Most costumes still need to be unlocked; the new costumes can be obtained in the bonus challenge tower.

-Wifi offers ranked, player, and private match types. No lobby system.

-Wifi private matches offer built-in mic support through the Vita!

-Tag mode is available online.

-Matches I have tried online have mostly been at 60fps. When I experienced lag, the game dropped to 30fps instead of freezing up or getting choppy.

-Load times are about the same as the console versions.

-This game is most definitely not running at the full Vita resolution.

-Despite the lowered amount of detail, the game still looks good in motion and runs at 60fps* during fights. No question that UMvC3 looks more impressive, however.

(*X-Ray attacks and fatalities go at 30FPS. The game immediately shifts back to 60fps once the X-Ray attack animation cycle completes)

-Background animations have been reduced, but there are still a lot of things going on. It doesn't feel lifeless.

-All of the modes and options from the console versions are intact, including:

Arcade Ladder
Tag Team Ladder
Test Your Skills (balance, slice, luck, might, sight, strike)
Story Mode
Challenge Tower
Bonus Challenge Tower (new)
Tutorial
Fatality Tutorial
Practice
Tag Tea Practice
Wi-Fi Versus
Adhoc 1v1
Adhoc Tag
Krypt
Nekropolis
Kredits
Options

Trailers & Gameplay:

Trailer 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6FDdfyRbbU

Trailer 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3iIDOUs4B0

Developer Walkthrough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48K2NxakF2g

Reviews:

Ign: 8.5

If you weren't a fan of the franchise's reboot last year, then Mortal Kombat on Vita isn't likely to convert you. The new bonus challenge tower represents the main addition from last year, so if you weren't sold on the challenges the first time around, then you'd be hard pressed to desire even more of them. That said, if this is your first time experiencing Netherrealm's MK reboot or simply didn't get your fill last year, then you'll find a ton of great content here.

GamesRadar: 8

When it comes to gory fun on the go, Mortal Kombat is a fun, silly fighter that is entirely inappropriate to play in public spaces, which actually makes it even more fun. Your enjoyment of Mortal Kombat on Vita will depend on whether or not you've already played the identical console version, and how much you like tapping the touch screen to make people's heads explode. Mortal Kombat remains faithful to its console counterpart, and is an equally entertaining, albeit sometimes uglier, addition to the family.

GamerAccess 9

Simply put, Mortal Kombat on the Vita is incredible. Delivering a true console experience within your hands while preserving the large roster of characters and arenas is rare to find in the portable gaming division. NetherRealm Studios has met their demanding goals, and in ways exceeded what many skeptics predicted the outcome to be. While it would have been nice to see some form of crossplay functionality with the PlayStation 3 and the visuals are noticeably downgraded from what is seen on the console counterpart, the game still looks outstanding and the fact that the true Mortal Kombat experience remains intact with additional game modes and experiences on the PlayStation Vita, this is one hell of a package that no PlayStation Vita owner should miss out on.

Joystiq review

Mortal Kombat has reached the hypothetical sweet spot for fighting games, where patching is completely finished, all of it characters have been released and all of its match-ups are well balanced. It usually takes years for fighting games to reach this level of maturity, rather than just one, and the fact that Mortal Kombat is still so widely played in the fighting community means there's still time left to enjoy how good this version is. Couple that with the bonus Challenge Tower and all of the console version's original content, and you've got the recipe for portable punches that practically can't be beaten.

1up review:
A-

Its important to note that MK Vita still retains its lightning-quick frame rate and hilarious fatalities. So outside of the blocky-skin textures, there's little else to really complain about here. And for the amount of content you're getting -- all the modes of the original version plus 150 new challenges, one of which includes the ability to play as series overlord Shao Khan -- MK on Vita feels like a bonafide steal at $40. A near-flawless victory like MK can't be understated, as the level of creativity and content clearly come together nicely in a product that's just plain fun to play. And unlike many of its fighting game contemporaries, MK Vita offers plenty of reasons to give its wealth of content another go nearly a year after the original release.

PlayStation Lifestyle review:

As a complete package, Mortal Kombat Vita is an impressive piece of software and a near-flawless port from consoles to a handheld. It’s one of the best fighters of this generation, magically tailored to work to PlayStation Vita’s advantages. Although unfair yet impossible to avoid comparisons will be made of it to its console counterpart, the Vita version proves that console-quality games and experiences are possible on Sony’s new portable. And it proves that it can be done with hardly any compromise.

Game Informer: 9

Even if you never touch the bonus tower, Mortal Kombat’s core gameplay and modes (including online play) are recreated perfectly on the handheld. A little bit of detail has been lost when it comes to character models, and online play is limited to two-player (ad hoc supports four), but it remains a fantastic port. Returning fans will love the new content and touchscreen Fatalities, and first-timers will be greeted with an almost overwhelming amount of great content. This is the most complete version of Mortal Kombat available.

Gaming Nexus: A

On the other hand, the gameplay remains rock solid. Controlling the combatants with the Vita's D-pad is a dream; just as good as it is on the PlayStation 3. In fact, I prefer this over playing Mortal Kombat on the Xbox 360, if only because of the placement and quality of the D-pad. The load times are also short, plus it doesn't seem to eat down the handheld's battery life like some games I've played. And with 450 bite-sized challenges to conquer, this works wonderfully as a portable game.

I did not expect to be this impressed with Mortal Kombat 2011 for the third time, yet here I am gushing as if it's the first time I've played the game. Forget that so-called Komplete Edition, this PS Vita version is the definitive port of Mortal Kombat. It offers an enviable amount of content, most of which is well worth your time. Throw in some impressive multiplayer modes and that lengthy story and you have a killer app on Sony's handheld. Even if you already own this on another console, Mortal Kombat Vita has enough new content to warrant double dipping.

Destructoid: 9

NetherRealm Studios has outdone themselves, and in doing so they have set the standard for porting a game to the Vita. This a perfect example of keeping the best graphical fidelity possible and including an already astronomical amount of content, while adding an even more extensive set of missions for players to explore that masterfully uses various features the PS Vita has to offer. If you own a Vita and are a fan of fighting games, there is simply no reason not to pick up Mortal Kombat.

Gaf PSN IDs:
ReaperXL7
impact1g
SteeloDMZ
lyteedge2
Letep
woodenlore
CubanBoy

Macstorm

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the story mode and am loving it. It's made the transition to the Vita almost flawlessly.

elcapitan

Mortal Kombat isn't usually my kind of game, but putting on the Vita makes so much sense, it actually becomes appealing. Vita could use more fighting games in general, they're perfect for portable play. Good to see MK is intact on the system.

Mortal Kombat isn't usually my kind of game, but putting on the Vita makes so much sense, it actually becomes appealing. Vita could use more fighting games in general, they're perfect for portable play. Good to see MK is intact on the system.

Yeah, this wasn't for me on the consoles at all. But it was a must buy on the Vita. Grabbing it on my lunch break!

This is how you do a port. Framerate over flourish, all previous dlc included, ect.
Really hope this moves a lot of units.

Not a big fan of fighting games but playing on a portable seems to make games I wouldn't normally like on consoles more fun. Won't be picking it up right now but it feels good to know there will be something out there when I AM ready to buy a new game.

The game plays great. I'm a bit of a graphics whore, so I will say I'm a bit bummed that it doesn't look closer to the console counterpart, but it's smooth, fun and filled with content.

Good package overall, even better for someone like me who missed the console versions so it's a brand new experience.

ReaperXL7

Wisely keeping the screenshots to a minimum.

Trying a different approach this time, over the Reckoning OT which some complained was too much.

If your talking about the visual quality of the game, while it's abit of a shame that it took a visual hit, i'd rather that than a hit in content, or performance, and neither seem to have taken a hit here, I think thats more important personally.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
It's a fantastic port overall.

I got it early last weekend; here's my initial impressions:

-No online pass required.

-The character select screen has been altered; Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain, and Freddy are now on the bottom row instead of "hidden" to the left/right of Kratos/Cyber Sub-Zero.

-All of the characters are available from the start. Most costumes still need to be unlocked; the new costumes can be obtained in the bonus challenge tower.

-Wifi offers ranked, player, and private match types. No lobby system.

-Wifi private matches offer built-in mic support through the Vita!

-Tag mode is available online.

-Matches I have tried online have mostly been at 60fps. When I experienced lag, the game dropped to 30fps instead of freezing up or getting choppy.

-Load times are about the same as the console versions.

-This game is most definitely not running at the full Vita resolution.

-Despite the lowered amount of detail, the game still looks good in motion and runs at 60fps* during fights. No question that UMvC3 looks more impressive, however.

(*X-Ray attacks and fatalities go at 30FPS. The game immediately shifts back to 60fps once the X-Ray attack animation cycle completes)

-Background animations have been reduced, but there are still a lot of things going on. It doesn't feel lifeless.

-All of the modes and options from the console versions are intact, including:

Arcade Ladder
Tag Team Ladder
Test Your Skills (balance, slice, luck, might, sight, strike)
Story Mode
Challenge Tower
Bonus Challenge Tower (new)
Tutorial
Fatality Tutorial
Practice
Tag Tea Practice
Wi-Fi Versus
Adhoc 1v1
Adhoc Tag
Krypt
Nekropolis
Kredits
Options

I spent a good amount of time with both the 360 and PS3 versions of MK last year. All of the game play is intact and the game runs great. Would definitely recommend to fans of the console versions and anyone looking for a good portable fighting game; compared to BlazBlue and UMvC3, MK is a more more "grounded" fighting game and is easier to get into than those titles. It also offers a lot more in the way of single player content, which is great for a portable game.

danno1769

Neo Member
Well done OT

Cant wait to swing by Gamestop and pick up my preorder. Should be endless entertainment while me and the misses are "watching" a chick flick

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thinking about getting a Vita to try this game out. Is a memory card required to play this specific game?
I'm afraid so. The Vita basically requires a memory card, unfortunately.

If you're sticking with retail games, however, a small card would work fine. It's only if you start downloading that it becomes an issue.

Its a shame that the Vita only has 128MB of VRAM. Perhaps had it been 256MB like the PS3 they could've had the same level of textures as the PS3 version. Furthermore, they probably could've turned on higher detail models/bump mapping during the Intros, X-Rays & Fatalities where 60 FPS wouldn't be necessary.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Its a shame that the Vita only has 128MB of VRAM. Perhaps had it been 256MB like the PS3 they could've had the same level of textures as the PS3 version. Furthermore, they probably could've turned on higher detail models/bump mapping during the Intros, X-Rays & Fatalities where 60 FPS wouldn't be necessary.

Most PS3 games run at 720p. Vita's resolution is 960x544, which is a little over half that.

Mario007

Well Vita has 526MB of ordinary RAM so they could have used that.

Btw this graphical comparison thingy is getting tiring. How can a near launch game on a handheld system be graphically same to a game on a home console that's already matured on the market and developers have grown accustomed to methods of using it to its best potential?

Blunt

Banned
HOLY SHIT A NEW VITA GAME

Oh wait, I live in Australia and the lawmakers say I'm not allowed to have this because it's more dangerous than our giant man eating Spider-Shark-Dropbear-FamilyFirstPartyVoting-Stingray hybrids that roam the land.

Rad.

AwRy108

I so wanted to believe in this... MK on 360 is amazing
but ehhhhhhh... Vita

So, um, what's not to "believe in"? The gamplay is complete, the framerate is flawless, and there's loads of content. Oh, and it's completely portable.

Sounds like misdirected Vita hate to me.

daffy

Banned
I so wanted to believe in this... MK on 360 is amazing
but ehhhhhhh... Vita

you don't even have a vita. please stop.

I bought this today. The digital I heard was like 3GB+ so I got the card. Its pretty much perfect imo. The online is so smooth. and the new modes :D

KalBalboa

Banned
My buddy got his copy today during lunch and has already Facebook posted a bunch of augmented reality laden screenshots. Looks really fun.

To be fair, although it's got the same content, MK Vita does not have the "Komplete Edition" subtitle.

Also, I think this release really needed its own thread. People need to see that the Vita version is being well received despite its graphical issues.

fernoca

To be fair, although it's got the same content, MK Vita does not have the "Komplete Edition" subtitle.
I now, it even says so in the thread.

But as I said the more the merrier. I originally thought of making a separate thread for the Vita version, but word back then pointed to not been much interest so merged both. :p

If anything, hope this one gets the word out that is a great port and with tons of content...less details aside. :p

Also, I think this release really needed its own thread. People need to see that the Vita version is being well received despite its graphical issues.
That too.

Top Bottom