• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 trailer

El_Cinefilo

I'm stoked for this, Including the movie characters (I'd love them to keep acquiring licenses and doing an all out horror movie beat-em-up). But I remember the first kombat pack being way overpriced (£25 I think?) So I'll be holding out for a sale if it's the same again.

Memory

Hype for everyone but Leatherface. We're getting technically 7 characters, 1 stage (which Kombat Pack 1 didn't have) and I assume just as many skins (new characters please, I don't want a 6th one for Johnny). Pretty sure Kombat Pack 1 was labeled as such. Meaning a 2nd one is probably coming. They also laid out what you get. Also, Injustice had dlc past the initial season pass.

They need to release some outfits for the new characters, the old guard already have enough.

The first Kombat Pack was simple call the Kombat Pack, since it wasn't called a season pass and didn't say it would include all future dlc everyone correctly assumed we would get a second one.

Don't think i'll be getting this pass as I have no interest in Bo or Leatherface. We don't know the release order either, I don't want to be waiting until Summer just to play as Xeno or Tri-borg.

ZeroX03

Banned
I was hoping that the new characters would reignite my interest for the game but...it simply made me care less. Dreadful character choices.

Syntsui

It took them 10 months to release the Komplete edition of the last game. I hope they release the new one by April at the latest, I really want this but it is absurdly expensive with all these packs.

Sayad

It took them 10 months to release the Komplete edition of the last game. I hope they release the new one by April at the latest, I really want this but it is absurdly expensive with all these packs.
Game used + dlc will probably be cheaper by now. Especially if you're not interested in all the characters.

For those who played the game, did they retcon Human Smoke/Cyborg Subzero from MK9?

Syntsui

Game used + dlc will probably be cheaper by now. Especially if you're not interested in all the characters.

Not really, at least in Brazil. It's crazy expensive, especially considering I'll have to buy two packs. I want all the characters.

Immortal

Neo Member
Truly one of the worst packs possible. Hope the casual players enjoy playing as their favourite horror icons though. I'm serious about this by the way, the majority of big MK fans don't appreciate these characters being added but it brings a cool element of just playing as iconic characters I guess.

For those who played the game, did they retcon Human Smoke/Cyborg Subzero from MK9?
Well, Cyborg Sub was reverted by Quan Chi. It's explained in the comics that he "Prefers the traditional old methods" not beliving in technology. So he created a new body for Sub-Zero.
No idea about Smoke, though, as last time he was shown in Story Mode, he had a human (Albeit Revenant) body.

Man I'm really hoping they make the robots be almost completely different chars in variations.

As all having completely different normals and specials

The common universal stuff is okay walk, run, dashes, jump attacks, pokes being universal but I'm hoping everything is different and viable to really make up for this pack

Thores

I am SO pumped for Bo Rai Cho. He was one of the characters I was hoping for the most but also expecting the least. I kind of dropped MKX before I tried to get competitive with it; Bo makes me want to pick it back up with him as my new main.

Tri-Borg is an excellent choice, goofy name aside, and BarakAlien looks great. I give zero shits about Leatherface, it should have been Fujin instead. Hell, if you're going to do two guest characters, why not bring Freddy back for the vs Jason dream match? Is anyone at all actually excited about Leatherface? Oh well.

Overall I'm more excited about this pack than I'm not, and it's probably going to be a purchase next year. The nebulous "2016" release date is concerning, though. You couldn't narrow it down to Q1 at least?

Jaeger

I am SO pumped for Bo Rai Cho. He was one of the characters I was hoping for the most but also expecting the least. I kind of dropped MKX before I tried to get competitive with it; Bo makes me want to pick it back up with him as my new main.

Tri-Borg is an excellent choice, goofy name aside, and BarakAlien looks great. I give zero shits about Leatherface, it should have been Fujin instead. Hell, if you're going to do two guest characters, why not bring Freddy back for the vs Jason dream match? Is anyone at all actually excited about Leatherface? Oh well.

Overall I'm more excited about this pack than I'm not, and it's probably going to be a purchase next year. The nebulous "2016" release date is concerning, though. You couldn't narrow it down to Q1 at least?

I am genuinely surprised about your interest in Bo Rai Cho. Honestly the only one that actually interest me is the horribly named Tri-Borg. How these four over Noob Saibot, Rain, Smoke, and Fujin making it in blows my mind.

Thores

I am genuinely surprised about your interest in Bo Rai Cho.

I like goofy, weird characters. Dan Hibiki is my main in Ultra Street Fighter IV.

Also drunken monkey is a fucking great martial arts style that needs more love in fighting games. I bet it'll be featured heavily in at least one of Bo's variations.

..all the cut scenes for the trailer (Bo Rai Cho getting up drunk, the cyborg taking the Sektor helmet, the chestburster, etc.)...are we assuming they were just made for the trailer? Or does it look like Kombat Pack 2 might actually have a little story mode addition?

Thores

..all the cut scenes for the trailer (Bo Rai Cho getting up drunk, the cyborg taking the Sektor helmet, the chestburster, etc.)...are we assuming they were just made for the trailer? Or does it look like Kombat Pack 2 might actually have a little story mode addition?
Probably the former. The scene with Baraka in particular was mostly just ripped from an already existing scene in the Story Mode of the launch version. With the chestburster part added in, of course.

Gleethor

I'm wondering if the decision to make the Xenomorph a Tarkatan hybrid wasn't just because they thought it would be neat, but because it gave them a reason to mess with the xeno's body frame so that it would be less of a nightmare to animate fatalities and such being performed on it. The rest of the cast is pretty diverse looking but they all still have fairly humanoid skeletons.

Plasma

Banned
That Xenomorph design looks kind of bad like there's a guy in there wearing a suit rather than it being an actual alien.

I mean, the typical trends for games with THIS MUCH DLC is that you're going to get a "game of the year edition" that doesn't actually contain all the DLC, so people who are like "just waiting for the Komplete Edition!" seem a little naive. Borderlands 2 had a GOTYE (heh) with something like less than a third of its DLC. Payday 2 has the same.

If MKX does get a Komplete Edition somewhere down the line, I'm basically fully expecting it to be Goro, Character Pack 1, and MAYBE Character Pack 2 if we're lucky. Everything else will almost certainly not be included.

Please don't think this post is condoning MKX's DLC. I am not. It is horrible.

Freddy in MK9 was the crappy reboot design too. Englund Freddy in this with freaky corny special movies from his crazy movies would have been completely new.

Instead we get Leatherface who became a tired overused character in his own movies and is now making no positive impression at all in this game. I think theyre doing another reboot next year literally titled Leatherface - completely failing to see why people love the first TCM in the first place. Ugh

CeeSaw

Will buy if it comes with a second costume for Goro. At least put a goddamn cape on the man, I need some variety for my main.

Spman2099

I wish people would stop saying that these characters are "for casuals". I have come across this sentiment multiple times now. It is pure bitterness.

That being said, I do think that this pack is awful. Like, REALLY bad. I had long since stopped playing MKX, and I probably wasn't coming back, but I may have considered giving the game another chance if Fujin played really awesomely.

This kombat pack has essentially permanently killed the game in my eyes. Though I am sure SFV would have done that anyway once it released...

Yeah, NetherRealm never really had a chance of winning me back...

Archon473

I mean, the typical trends for games with THIS MUCH DLC is that you're going to get a "game of the year edition" that doesn't actually contain all the DLC.
If MKX does get a Komplete Edition somewhere down the line, I'm basically fully expecting it to be Goro, Character Pack 1, and MAYBE Character Pack 2 if we're lucky. Everything else will almost certainly not be included.

The main benefit of MK9's Komplete Edition was to make running tournaments with all characters unlocked, DLC available, and patches installed error-proof. Komplete Edition ensured every tournament was running the most up-to-date version of the game. I believe NRS even announced that patch 1.05 (the version of the Komplete Edition disc) would be the last balance patch for that game, and the subsequent 1.06 and 1.07 patches were fixes for the GameSpy servers when the game launched on PC. Since NRS does cater to their tournament community, a physical version of MKX with all content on the disc would definitely sell copies. I predict this will happen based on the timeline of MK9 and Injustice DLC characters launching and a physical complete version being released in a span of about 10-12 months. Default MKX was selling everywhere for $25 on Black Friday, a second series of DLC characters was officially announced in September if I remember correctly, and I am guessing a physical complete copy will coincide with the release of the final DLC character, likely around April or May just in time for Evo 2016 in July.

This kombat pack has essentially permanently killed the game in my eyes. Though I am sure SFV would have done that anyway once it released...

Yeah, NetherRealm never really had a chance of winning me back...

The only thing I can assure is that once we are playing a final version of MKX, it will be for the better. Mortal Kombat 9 and Injustice were objectively better games in their final version compared to release. The good thing about these games is that they are immediately fun, look great, sound great, and I personally like the feel of character movement and attacking. So I am a fan from the start. However, as a competitor I did not begin playing MK9 or Injustice seriously until their final patches released. MK9 had 3 years of phenomenal tournaments. Injustice did not fair so well. I am praying MKX will grow tournament numbers once the balancing is final. Obviously, it sold through the roof already and new content will always sell in the contemporary market. All that can happen is that tournament players wary of the game changing can finally indulge their curiosity once a complete version releases. That is what I am waiting for and there is only positive potential for it to grow.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Regardless of whether or not a "Komplete Edition" would be beneficial to the competitive scene, it's always bothered me when people drop in to a thread to announce that something looks great and that they won't be buying it.

Like, ok.

Jaeger

Regardless of whether or not a "Komplete Edition" would be beneficial to the competitive scene, it's always bothered me when people drop in to a thread to announce that something looks great and that they won't be buying it.

Like, ok.

Agreed.

I'll get it. I'm still butthurt about Noob and Smoke not being in this.

Phloxy

Sweet!, Now just need Kombat Pack 3 to come out in the summer, with Fujin, Rain, Sareena, Kabal, and then I'm set.

Boon's Twitter says the footage drops tomorrow...with a pretty cool teaser:
CYem-Y1UAAAfSYg.jpg

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Spear+ telecut + air throw all day.
I'll be very surprised if triborg is the first character released.
And I have to admit that leather face kinda grew on me. Depending on how he plays I may make him my true secondary.

Zubz

Banned
I'm wondering if the decision to make the Xenomorph a Tarkatan hybrid wasn't just because they thought it would be neat, but because it gave them a reason to mess with the xeno's body frame so that it would be less of a nightmare to animate fatalities and such being performed on it. The rest of the cast is pretty diverse looking but they all still have fairly humanoid skeletons.

Oh, definitely; the craziest we have so far is arguably either Goro and the Predator, but outside of the skulls/extra arms and less digits, their bodies are just like the others'. Either the Xenomorph was going to be prone to a number of weird graphical errors during development, or it was going to become more humanoid. Plus, I'm half expecting it might have a Variation where it steals some of Baraka's moves; he's popular enough to be missed, but I don't think a character whose traditional role is "that henchman with the messed up face" is enough to sell most people on the DLC.

Trailer is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyP_kWd7QYw

Included is a returning stage: The Pit.

WTF: no new skins? Goro adds nothing for people who already own it: at least make a skin for those who got Goro separately. Please WB, screw up with PC version and release a ton of keys for this pack for 2$ like it happened with Pack 1.

It seems like there is much less in this pack compared to the first one. I can't understand why some of the non-playable characters aren't added as DLC: they have models + at least some animation.

barit

Looks great. Alien seems awesome. Still waiting for a discount on Kombat Pack 1 (PS4) before buying it but no luck yet ;(

Top Bottom