• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X: Kung Lao confirmed

AAK

Hopefully that's the last of the old cast we see. I hope everyone else revealed are brand new character designs.

EDIT: That are NOT like Lucky Chloe

Compbros

Hopefully that's the last of the old cast we see. I hope everyone else revealed are brand new character designs.

EDIT: That are NOT like Lucky Chloe

7 old characters and 17 new ones? Not gonna happen. At best you'll get half and half.

GrayFoxPL

Especially considering Ed Boon is 50 and he looks like this:

Ed+Boon+Launch+Warner+Bros+Mortal+Kombat+Legacy+vCzsLBtTlaGl.jpg

That's from 2011, but he hasn't really changed since then.

Magic?

Sorcery.

MKX Kung Lao got that Shang Tsung facial hair thing goin

What if he's Shang Tsung+Kung Lao combined? Oh snap.

I was expecting to see Fujin, Reiko, or Tanya by now rather than Goro, Kung Lao, Raiden, and possibly Jax.
The problem is everyone bar Kenshi from MK4 onwards is just not that popular. It's possible that some characters could be redesigned but 11 classics + Kenshi + 12 new ones + maybe some others works out pretty well.

Hmm...I wonder if returning characters will have both young (start of story mode, resurrected at their MK9 ages) and old (later in story mode, having been Quan Chi's zombie minions for 25 years).

But then again, why would they age if they were undead. But why wouldn't he be the same age after being resurrected as when he died? Weird.

Also, the magazine talks a bit about some game features:

"Ed Boon guarantees, that the online features are much more complex this time around. For example when you start the game you get to choose your own alliance from five different options: Lin Kuei, White Lotus, Brotherhood of Shadows, Special Force and Black Dragon. Basically each team gathers so called "battle points" for their team, which decides how the game's menus look both in single and multiplayer. This way each player contributes to the entirety whether or not you prefer the social aspects or playing by yourself."

"Even more diverse content is promised, for the challenge tower is making it's return. This time around the towers and their challenges change constantly, even by the hour."

.la1n

The online features sound great but what I really need to hear from boon is that they are taking the netcode very seriously.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Wait a fucking minute am I late to the party or something I see all this fuss over kung lao and not one mention of Goro being in the game.......

Edit

Nevermind been out of the loop hes pre order dlc....... fucking hell.

shaowebb

Holy hell at the description of how Kung Lao's third style "Hat Trick" works...you guys should look this stuff up. Its some sick news. Batman players will LOVE Kung Lao...

Nemesis_

There's information about his three styles floating around too

Tempest -> More "spinning" attacks. Can use the hat as a spinning shield of sorts.
Buzz Saw -> Hat is sharpened and more emphasis on hat throwing attacks
Hat Trick -> Can throw and call back hat at any time at any point on level. Sounds like a Zoning kind of variation

impact

Banned
"Even more diverse content is promised, for the challenge tower is making it's return. This time around the towers and their challenges change constantly, even by the hour."

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

that is sick. Still waiting on them announcing some characters I actually like but this game sounds great aside from roster so far.

Gurrry

I used to main Kung Lao before moving onto Sub and really perfecting my craft. My Kung Lao took someone who beat Tom Brady (the FGC guy, not QB) to the wire in a best of 3.

Look forward to causing many a rage quits with Lao in X.

MUAHAHAHAHA

Khezu

So with KL in it.
From this image, there seems like there might be another Shaolin character in the game.
LypB67Y.jpg

From the 3rd pair of shoes.

I hope they are a student of KL, and we get and old man wise master KL.
I was hoping they would do that with Shujinko, mostly because I wanted some Mantis style, but it would be fun for Kl too.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So, the first issue of the MKX comic comes out tomorrow, and if you take a look at this interview, you'll see a few pages that include Kenshi and, uh, Hsu Hao:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/game...wn-kittelsen-teases-dc-prequel-comic-book/#/0

They've already confirmed that the comic will include characters that aren't in the game, and Hsu Hao specifically has been deconfirmed many, many times, so don't read too much into him being there.

One other thing worth noting: this page has a little blurb for the second issue which mentions a character named Takeda, a new recruit to Scorpion's Shirai Ryu clan:
https://www.readdcentertainment.com/Mortal-Kombat-X-2015-2/digital-comic/1412000025001

Just based on what's shown in the sample pages from the first issue, I wonder if Takeda is the boy Kenshi is protecting and he eventually ends up being adopted by Scorpion's clan or something? "Scorpion's protege" could be a neat new character, I think.

Just based on what's shown in the sample pages from the first issue, I wonder if Takeda is the boy Kenshi is protecting and he eventually ends up being adopted by Scorpion's clan or something? "Scorpion's protege" could be a neat new character, I think.

Just read issue #1 of the new comic and you pretty much called :p

Isn't half the cast supposed to be new or did I read that wrong? Feels like since the debut we keep hearing about old characters.

The magazine also confirmed that Sub-Zero is a new Sub-Zero, not Bi-Han or Kuai Lang.

One of the variations allows Kung Lao to throw his hat and call it back at any time.

Then I hope Sub won't be treated as Scorpions bitch again. It was cool at first but he's been Scorpions bitch since the first MK.
I want to see Scorpion powerless against this SubZero.

Thores

it's out?

Yup! And there's going to be new issues every week from now on till who knows when.

There's already some cool stuff to speculate on in the first issue in regards to who might or might not show up in the game.
Mavado and Daegon
might be important in the current arc, and Hsu Hao
gets killed in the first scene, lol

I've subscribed, and I'm considering making a comic discussion thread, though I don't know how much interest there'd be in that. If Takeda is any indication, I feel like there'll be at least a couple brand new characters we see in the comic before we see them anywhere else.

Top Bottom