• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Boring Game You've Played/Completed Recently

Galdius

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

The game was cool, the mechanis were nice but I think it was too long for it's own good.
I would have liked it more if it were shorter. It seemed like the majority of the time I was just sailing (which was nice) and the missions weren't very unique, they were very similar.
I was really happy when I finished it.

Pooya

Dragon Age Inquisition, didn't finish it. Got quite a bit after you go to Skyhold, just lost interest, it wasn't terrible or anything but the story and calling me herald of Anderaste all the time got really bad, I was bored with with templar/mage conflict too at that point. I thought characters were pretty boring and played out, typical Bioware cliche.

Civilization Beyond Earth, I really wanted to like this, I really like the soundtrack but it was just broken and too slow for Civ even. I didn't really understand what I was doing or aiming for, the game's tech tree is terrible. Combat balance is terrible too. You should probably just avoid fighting all together for a good while.

I guess Infamous First Light. I was going to pick up Second Son, but if it's just like this, I'm glad I didn't. Its not crap or anything, but I just feel like I'm right triggering everything repeatedly for gameplay, and the story is the main character screaming about her brother non stop.

DedValve

Banned
Dragon Age: Inquisition. Just didn't have the heart to finish it. I was really hyped for this game too and only spent $20 on it thanks to a price match (and got it free practically thanks to trading in a game towards it). Still left disappointed.

Servbot24

Banned
Shadow of Mordor. It could be played through with one hand on the controller and without even looking at the screen. Dreadful.

GeoGonzo

Assassin's Creed: Unity.

They managed to make the combat even more boring, despite being more challenging. And it's just more of the same old, but better looking. I only managed to get past the prologue before I turned it off and deleted it from my HDD.

Yawn.

Assassins creed unity. It's still pretty broken but even looking past the technical issues it's a bad game. I'm about half way through it now and I want to finish it just so that I didn't completely waste my money.

I completed it. Its just... Not very good. I loved the map but it is a mediocre AC game and a bad videogame in general.

mr_anzai

Neo Member
I just beat 'Stick it to the Man' last weekend. The core idea was interesting, and the art style was unique, but boy were those puzzles brain-dead. Read mind, guy says he wishes he had nice teeth. Find guy with nice teeth, take them, give to guy. Boring. I forced myself to finish, but there was no clever puzzle in the entire game. Everything was just handed to you and told you how to solve it before you had the chance to try to figure it out.

+1 It is too bad because this game is packed with lot of good ideas.

Stick it to the Man for me too..

SliChillax

Shadow of Mordor because of the setting and dull missions. Nemesis system got annoying half the time.

Thief, yeah incredibly dull.

Brutal Legend, sorry.

Crysis games

All Borderlands games

Grid Autosport, as a huge fan of cars and racing games, Codemasters make the most shallow racing games.

Battlefield Hardline Beta

Saints Row 3 and 4

I was really looking forward to TLoU but it bored me to death and I had to stop playing it by the time I got to the sewers. The story didn't grab me and the stealth just didn't feel good to me.

Really, REALLY disappointed to say it. I wanted to love it desperately and am now worried for Uncharted 4, having never played one of those either. PS here's hoping we get an Uncharted HD collection on PS4.

CUE THE HATE

carl32

Banned
Driveclub, i like corridor racers and i'm trying to like this but i'm kidding myself, it's boring and feels like it's from the year 2000.

Infamous: First Light.

I've also tried Second Son when it came out and it didn't clicked either. I honestly get bored after 5-10 minutes evey time I play, whether I try a mission or just freeroam. It's just not for me.

My thoughts exactly. Probably the most boring open world city thing i've ever played. There's more life in fuckin Silent Hill.

COD: AW campaign was just awful, went through the motions and finished the game with the thought that any minute it would actually get good. The MP ain't much better, Black Ops 2 was my last COD game and AW simply does not hold a candle to it.

I just replayed Fez.

I don't know if it was always such a tediously boring game (maybe I forgot?) or just not a good game for a second play through. I last played it when it originally came out so it has been a while.

Really boring.

Sanctuary

Dragon Age: Inquisition, although part of the boredom may be my own fault. I started over slightly after the halfway mark (*and having finished a ton of side quests) due to the Knight Enchanter simply not being any fun. Every fight was pretty much the same, and not difficult at all (on Hard) once factoring in crafted weapons and armor. I ended up replaying everything again as a different specialty; which was slightly more fun, but doing all of the same crap all over again so soon was a bit much.

Explain the virtues of TLOU without using the word "emotional"

No shit. You'd think that the majority of the defenders of its untarnishable status had never seen any dramatic movies, or read any dramatic books. The "game" entirely rests on its piecemealed story and stellar production values. The gameplay parts aren't really bad at all, they just aren't anything that had not already been done to death by other games, including ND's own.

BPoole

Dragon Age Inquisition. I just kept playing and playing hoping it would hook me and make me give a shit about anything in the game other than the nice looking environments.

I hit the Manor section where it locks you from going anywhere else in the game and forces you to go on a huge scavenger hunt of walking around hitting the find button hoping there's a clue there. After that I just took a look in the mirror and thought "what the fuck am I doing?" and then went and played through Max Payne 3 on the highest difficulty

Dark Souls.
I managed to grind through for about 12 hours before I just said, "I'm bored. This is boring. I'd rather play Monster Hunter."

Another one is Tales of the Abyss. I've gotten halfway through that game 3 times now and just get so bored.

IcyEyes

No one lately (Evolve, DA:I, Destiny, SSB, Bayo2, DriveClub, FarCry4, Elite D., etc).
Maybe I was bored a bit by Diablo3 on PS4, but mainly because I've already played on PC (150h+).

Anyway, some post are pretty awesome, pure gems.

Slixshot

Banned

Sure! Its background is well explained in a grounded and realistic manner (well, as realistic as a fungus-zombie outbreak can be). This ties in perfectly with the game; with a post-apocalyptic setting, a "kill or be killed" attitude is created and gives reason for the videogame "kill everything on the screen or avoid it as long as possible" gameplay. You're scavenging for supplies, which you can use on the fly, to create more weapons and health kits, upgrades, anything that can help you survive. TLOU was the best survival game I've ever played, and on Grounded mode, it felt like a F'n Souls game.

The actual story Naughty Dog told was just one hell of a bonus.

So the game is only good with DLC?, I rest my case.

Its not only good with DLC. How people can go around praising RE4 and not like TLOU I'll never know because theres so many parallels. Let me go through what made TLOU good. I don't care if you didn't enjoy TLOU, thats fine. But saying it has no redeemable aspects besides story is idiotic. Pacing, past Boston, the game has some of the best pacing of all time akin to games like RE4. Story, obligatory, one of the best stores and acting/characterization in any video game after. Sandbox gameplay, approach combat scenarios in a multitude of different ways, stealth, assault, etc. Distract enemies, melee enemies, go in and out of stealth to sneak up on enemies. Enemy AI is some of the best in any game. Enemies will flank you relentlessly, run and hide, charge you when they hear you gun click. It has some of the most realistic combat in games. On higher difficulties the game changes completely forcing you to save every bullet and be killed almost instantly. Also clickers. etc. Also its incredibly replayable. I don't replay many games and yet I've replayed TLOU 3 times already and its like a new different game every time. Also some of the best multiplayer to come out in recent years that is totally new and fresh and unique. Beautiful graphics, amazing soundtrack, immersive world.

Its absolutely fine if you didn't like TLOU. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with it. Acting like it isn't brilliantly designed and its only redeemable aspect is its story is wrong and idiotic. The story isn't even its strongest aspect and yet people like you act like thats all people like the game for.

Lothar

Banned
Xenoblade. I don't get it. The main character walks so slow around the world that often I'll hold up on on the controls while I'm reading forums or checking my phone. The story is uninteresting. Shulk and Melia are among the dullest characters I've seen. Every time I get to a shop, it's a 30 minute process as I have to write down what gems each character has, unequip the gems, then compare what they have to the shop (5 different types of armor for each character), go through the enormous pile of collectables I have to sell, buy the new armor, reequip the gems. After that I'll go back the first town to forge new gems, another long unfun tedious process.

Nier was so much better.

Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery is probably the most boring game I've ever played. "Artsy" point and click game with little to no gameplay or even story, there's a lot of backtracking and movement is painfully slow. I even locked myself out of 100% completion because of this crap (no, I didn't cheat).

I love relaxing game experiences, but man.

The Last of Us.
Just started playing, totally agree so far up through the first real gunfight.

And both of the new PS+ games.

Sure! Its background is well explained in a grounded and realistic manner (well, as realistic as a fungus-zombie outbreak can be). This ties in perfectly with the game; with a post-apocalyptic setting, a "kill or be killed" attitude is created and gives reason for the videogame "kill everything on the screen or avoid it as long as possible" gameplay. You're scavenging for supplies, which you can use on the fly, to create more weapons and health kits, upgrades, anything that can help you survive. TLOU was the best survival game I've ever played, and on Grounded mode, it felt like a F'n Souls game.

The actual story Naughty Dog told was just one hell of a bonus.
I doesn't really feel like a Souls game at all.

danowat

Banned
Its not only good with DLC. How people can go around praising RE4 and not like TLOU I'll never know because theres so many parallels. Let me go through what made TLOU good. I don't care if you didn't enjoy TLOU, thats fine. But saying it has no redeemable aspects besides story is idiotic. Pacing, past Boston, the game has some of the best pacing of all time akin to games like RE4. Story, obligatory, one of the best stores and acting/characterization in any video game after. Sandbox gameplay, approach combat scenarios in a multitude of different ways, stealth, assault, etc. Distract enemies, melee enemies, go in and out of stealth to sneak up on enemies. Enemy AI is some of the best in any game. Enemies will flank you relentlessly, run and hide, charge you when they hear you gun click. It has some of the most realistic combat in games. On higher difficulties the game changes completely forcing you to save every bullet and be killed almost instantly. Also clickers. etc. Also some of the best multiplayer to come out in recent years that is totally new and fresh and unique.

Its absolutely fine if you didn't like TLOU. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with it. Acting like it isn't brilliantly designed and its only redeemable aspect is its story is wrong and idiotic.

I want to enjoy it, it's clear that Naughty Dog had a commendable vision, but I am struggling to get through it.

Maybe I am playing on too low a difficulty level, as the AI is pants

LesPaul

I managed to play Dragon Age Inquisition for about 15-20 hours and then stopped.....seems like I am not the only one.

Delstius

Darkest Dungeon (early access) : struggling against RNG and rolling a punishing dice for every little thing isn't very entertaining, nor rewarding. I like failing for a reason and learn from it rather than it happening randomly.
Also the corridor-room-corridor format bother me way more than it should but it contribute to make the experience rapidly redundant.

Great art style, polished and full of interesting things though, I'll try to revisit it once it's officially out.

Fret

I was really looking forward to TLoU but it bored me to death and I had to stop playing it by the time I got to the sewers. The story didn't grab me and the stealth just didn't feel good to me.

Really, REALLY disappointed to say it. I wanted to love it desperately and am now worried for Uncharted 4, having never played one of those either. PS here's hoping we get an Uncharted HD collection on PS4.

CUE THE HATE

If you tried it but didn't like it who cares? At least you gave it a shot

Meaty combat, where a hit feels like a hit. It has weight and brutality.
The story is the near perfection (IMO of course) of the zombie like journey in videogame form.
Nice level design from a gameplay perspective, with enough opportunities to play with either a stealth approach, or just use stealth as a means to flank enemies and play with more lethal intent.
More realistic dialog than most games. Characters not being exposition machines.
The passing of seasons, distances, and time makes for quite an adventure. Beyond a simple action game. It's not open world, but it sure is a world.
Highly competent musical score (heh, hard to word since I guess emotion isn't a virtue with a videogame, enjoyment must be found from 100% pure logic, eh? Seems legit.)
Smooth animations, facial animations, impressive vertical structures
Etc etc etc

I agree with everyone when it comes to the beginning of TLoU. The beginning of that game (after the prologue) is slow and pretty dull, especially on your second, third, fourth playthrough. It gets a hell of a lot better, though, especially after Boston. But I do get why some people who haven't finished the game yet are saying what they're saying.

I'd just urge you to keep on playing. :p

Dunkley

The Last of Us.

Fully agree, the game completely falls apart in the late stages of the game, down to the point where forgot as good as anything about the game between the forced stealth fight during Winter and the final battle except that you get a Flamethrower.

My most boring pick in recent years is Sonic Adventure DX. I was so disinterested in this game at the end I was just glad to be fighting Perfect Chaos even though I had no idea how the story suddenly already got to that.

The Last of Us.

This is an insightful, detailed, well thought out post that will add to a healthy discussion.

Snark aside, I still respect your opinion although I strongly disagree with it. Care to expand on why you found it boring?

InFamous Second Son.

''Hey guys we got this graphically amazing game, but we totally forgot to make it fun for longer than 1 hour''

Man... I've been doing some hard thinking on this game, and I guess at the end of the day I agree with you. The mission structure is just way too repetitive, which is probably this game's biggest problem. And at the end of the day, Delsin is a decently cool guy, but not that interesting. I haven't Platinumed this game yet because I'm not that excited about a second run-through.

The best things about the game are: Fetch (she's awesome) and the Neon power... saying all that makes me realize I should go grab the DLC.

The Wolf Among Us...
I've played whole season just because i thought that somewhere there must be that magic "molecule of awesomeness"...Nope, there was nothing. Stick to comic books. They're far, far better...

Top Bottom