• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most disturbing movie you have seen?

Just watched Martyrs based on the numerous mentions in this thread.

It was brilliant. I wasn't disturbed because I was too blown away by the set up and execution. Wanted to thank this thread for the recommendation.
ill give you something disturbing but dont say i didnt warn you

MV5BZThhNGE0NzQtMTY2MC00NDE2LWJiZjgtZDgwNDRmMDY4ZjI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

MHubert

The House That Jack Built
Von Trier's latest. While having some really disturbing scenes, it is more or less the epitome of Triers dark (danish) humor. Some might disagree, but I think it is one of his best. Brilliant movie, with some really spot on 'comments' about an albeit extreme but certain, and relevant, character type. It can be understood as a manic departure from his depression trilogy (Antichrist, Melancholia, Nymphomaniac), which other users have already recommended. If you haven't seen it yet, I cannot recommend it enough.

ABEmkGV.png

The Seventh Continent
This one is a bit slow and honestly not the best from Haneke, but the pace and tone actually builds up really well for what might be one the most bleak and excruciating endings ever.

jmCqi6J.jpg

Mulholland Drive
I'm sure most of you are already acquinted with this movie, but for the uninitiated, it deserves a mention. Deeply disturbing (although not explicitly) and haunting - I consider this to be Lynch at his best, and maybe one of the best movies ever made.

ggdutbW.jpg

Last edited:

Meowzers

the skinning scenes had me cringing pretty hard. weirdly realistic practical effects, yuck. cool movie though
I love all that brutality. Sometimes seems a little too real but you really know it's not. Brawl in Cell Block 99 is another from the same director I believe. Also very violent.

Meowzers

Human Centipede 2 was disgusting garbage, and probably the closest to "disturbing" that I can think of.

The film in black&white? Watched it earlier this year. It was so depressing because of its tone and the bleakness of everyone. And some disturbing scene involving barbed wire.

Human Centipede 3 was more of a jolly time lol. But ma gawd it was fricken awful. I can't believe Eric Roberts signed upto that trash.

Karma Jawa

The House That Jack Built
Von Trier's latest. While having some really disturbing scenes, it is more or less the epitome of Triers dark (danish) humor. Some might disagree, but I think it is one of his best. Brilliant movie, with some really spot on 'comments' about an albeit extreme but certain, and relevant, character type. It can be understood as a manic departure from his depression trilogy (Antichrist, Melancholia, Nymphomaniac), which other users have already recommended. If you haven't seen it yet, I cannot recommend it enough.

ABEmkGV.png

The Seventh Continent
This one is a bit slow and honestly not the best from Haneke, but the pace and tone actually builds up really well for what might be one the most bleak and excruciating endings ever.

jmCqi6J.jpg

Mulholland Drive
I'm sure most of you are already acquinted with this movie, but for the uninitiated, it deserves a mention. Deeply disturbing (although not explicitly) and haunting - I consider this to be Lynch at his best, and maybe one of the best movies ever made.

ggdutbW.jpg

Mulholland Drive is incredible. Definitely Lynch’s best film.

Not sure if it’s his most disturbing though. It certainly has its moments, but Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, and Lost Highway are, for me, the more unsettling films of his.

hard_boiled

Neophyte
A Clockwork Orange. I have no idea why people say it is such a great movie. I was so grossed out by the end that I felt like I had to take a shower & wanted to forget the past two hours.

MHubert

Mulholland Drive is incredible. Definitely Lynch’s best film.

Not sure if it’s his most disturbing though. It certainly has its moments, but Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, and Lost Highway are, for me, the more unsettling films of his.
Yes, your are right. I personally find the plot very unsettling (especially when the whole thing unravels at the end), but the movies you mention are definately more on the 'horror/disturbing' side of the equation.
Inland Empire is also worth a watch in that regard, although it is a little bit tougher to digest.

Karma Jawa

Yes, your are right. I personally find the plot very unsettling (especially when the whole thing unravels at the end), but the movies you mention are definately more on the 'horror/disturbing' side of the equation.
Inland Empire is also worth a watch in that regard, although it is a little bit tougher to digest.

I don’t hate Inland Empire but it felt more like a compilation of various, unconnected ideas he’d had over the years. It’s definitely nightmarish in places.

Mulholland Drive felt like the culmination of his creativity.

rofif

Banned
Martyrs - french gore movie left me disturbed and I never plan to watch it again
Possession (1981) - Fantastic horror weird movie. One of Sam Neil first roles. I watched it just next day after watching it for the first time. Great, very disturbing movie witch unique acting. Everything is so strange and weird. I really recommend checking it out.

teezzy

Banned
Here's something a little differen.

This movie freaks the hell out of me.

It's different from the rest of the movies in this thread because there's nothing particularly shocking in it>

Just genuinely unsettling throughout. The Other is like a master class in creating a disturbing atmosphere where everything just feels a little "off"

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Midsommar was pretty fucked up. I remember watching the ending and thinking, yea, I guess I'd be crying tears of joy too, because what I just went through made me insane.

MacReady13

2 other films that come up with me fairly often, although they aren't gore films but disturbed the shit out of me.

The 1st is a brilliant dutch film called The Vanishing (Spoorloos). The whole plot but especially the ending has never left my mind. Truly horrifying.

The next is Buried with Ryan Reynolds. The fear for me is being enclosed in tight spaces (I'm a pretty bad claustrophobic) so Buried got me good. I actually had a hard time breathing watching Buried. Great film as well.

SinDelta

Jaws.

Just everything. That girl going for a swim in the begining and you see the shark is eating her, with no one to help.

Pure primal terror.

Not even going into the rest of the film. The guy in the estuary and seeing the shark approaching from overhead. Alex Kitner. What happened to Ben Gardener and his crew off screen. Quint.

The Thing would probably be my top choice, but sharks do actually kill people, unlike shape shifting alien monstrosities.

Last edited:
Had a think about it, Putrid Sex Object was really fucking weird.

4 year old me was left scarred by 1978 Watership Down. The film is rated U, as in suitable for everyone-a kids film, in the UK. Here's a trailer.

Here's the full movie of your brave enough.

Here are the deaths if that's your jam.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
at the end of human centipede 2, a pregnant woman escapes from the 12 person ass to mouth "human centipede", which moments before was being literally fucked by the fat little madman who assembled the human centipede by crudely stapling them all together, and as she is getting into the car to escape him she gives birth to her child whom ends up under the gas pedal, and in a rush of fear or fight or flight or whatever she says fuck it and stomps on said gas pedal, crushing her newborn babies skull and killing it instantly. and they show everything pretty explicitly.

uuhhhhh yeah, id say thats about the most fucked up movie i can think of.
And there is an unedited version where the guy wraps barbed wire around his junk and goes to town on the last girl of the centipede

Top Bottom