• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most underrated 8/16bit games

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
run saber a fever dream version of strider its super short but amazing

latest

hanging upside down while fighting a mutating fighter jet why not
klj25dv

shits just happening now
1368562507989.png

kw7u8c2

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Dick Tracy - Sega Genesis. Usually licensed games are garbage, but I had quite a bit of fun with this. If you like games like NAM 1975 (Neo Geo), you'll probably like Dick Tracy.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
is this little known? i never really liked it but feel like everyone i knew owned this. in the uk where it was called chaos engine.

not known here in the states no one had it bet it was super well known in the uk because of the amiga version

Mupod

I know Thunder Force 4 (Lightening Force in NA) isn't some buried, forgotten game but I feel like it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. The soundtrack is unbelievable but the game itself is really good too. I played it for the first time in 2015 after getting it for 10 bucks at a yard sale and it still blew me away, couldn't put it down until I'd finished it legit.

I fire up my Genesis and other older systems fairly often but it's usually for a quick nostalgia trip or playthrough of contra hard corps/alien soldier. It's rare that I completely get into something like that. I also have Thunder Force 3, and I see that brought up much more often than 4 even though it didn't impress me as much.

Obligatory soundtrack links:

https://youtu.be/oTQIiIKummw
https://youtu.be/rYPcte3BlPw
https://youtu.be/ObJVuRTIIS4

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I feel like I need to mention Little Nemo: The Dream Master (NES) in every thread like this.

Wonderful Capcom platformer with one of the best 8-bit soundtracks.

Mupod

Rocket Knight Adventures is one of the best 16-bit games out there.

I remember buying this because it looked like the best game in a huge $5 bargain bin at Blockbuster of all places. I was correct. I think I ended up playing it more than any other Genesis game, as a kid at least.

One time a kid in my class wanted to borrow it but I made up some excuse about it being too violent and gave him a different game because I was worried he wouldn't give it back.

Ended up losing it anyways...don't even know what happened to it, I think my parents gave my Genesis away to someone when I was at camp or something. My memory is pretty good but it's vague about this for some reason. I do still have the manual, oddly enough. And I re-bought the rest from the same person I got Thunder Force 4 from.

EVO: The Search for Eden. I swear no one ever talks about this game.

Sidescrolling platformer/RPG played across millions of years, jumping through different eras, and evolving into different creatures with different attributes as you go. It's got some properly weird alternate history stuff in there, lots of "bad endings" show you what would have happened to the world if you had failed, and it's really fun to evolve the different parts of your body to see all the different combinations.

It's on the SNES.

CD29EQ9.png

KDtED8p.png

I'm mixed on this game. The level designs are atrocious. The hit detection is weird. You don't get a split second of invincibility when you get hit, so it's actually possible to die if you get caught in a combo because you keep getting knocked around and not being able to do anything about it.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
kick master fuck swords im going to kick every mother fucker in this fantasy land

lwrr7vu

kicking this lady
k6ej7lo

kicking this fucking octopus
l9d5b7d

all this shits gonna get kicked
l9sdltm

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Simcity snes
Gooftroop snes
Unicycle snes
Busters hidden treasure gen

Shatterhand. Gameplay was tight and I enjoyed playing the game over and over again with different types of robots. I wish someone would make a spiritual sequel to this game.

So, I have never played Shatterhand. But I stumbled across the NSF on my NoisES app, and HOLY FUCKING SHIT IS THAT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK.

Sim City SNES
This is the only way I've really ever played Sim City. I love this version of the game.

LewieP

I'm mixed on this game. The level designs are atrocious. The hit detection is weird. You don't get a split second of invincibility when you get hit, so it's actually possible to die if you get caught in a combo because you keep getting knocked around and not being able to do anything about it.

Yeah, you've identified probably the two biggest issues with it. I still find it to be a particularly charming game.

Mupod

Crusader of Centy/Soleil
Soleil_(SMD)_06.gif

A totally solid Zelda-like game on the Genny.

I wanted this pretty bad back in the day when I read about it in EGM. I was trying to build up a small Genesis collection recently and thought I'd see if I could find this one...it's, um, a little expensive.

Uncharted Waters New Horizons

iBTUTzK.jpg

Rj23cIj.jpg

XnoFRj2.png

new-horizons-20090406094422184_640w.jpg

new-horizons-20090406094405121_640w.jpg

new-horizons-20090406094411731_640w.jpg

rYSr8jP.png

Open World RPG on SNES and Genesis.

Yes, you heard right. You can play as 6 different characters each with their own story line. This is much more well done than Seiken Densetsu 3 where there's just 1 story line with minor character alterations. It's open world so you can pretty much do whatever you want. If you want to beat the game, you have to earn fame and complete tasks relevant to your character.

You can be an adventurer and explore the world, and make discoveries. There are 98 discoveries in the game, but only 50 randomly appear in the game. So you'll never know what you'll find.

You can be a pirate, and fight naval battle, or duel 1 v 1 against ship captains.

You can be a trader, and make a fortune trading from port to port. Things like taxes, economy, and buy and sell rates are factored into it.

Then there is strategy in how to outfit your ships to suit your needs, recruiting mates to help you out, managing your food and water supply, and tons more. So much depth in this game.

cireza

Banned
Crusader of Centy/Soleil
Soleil_(SMD)_06.gif

A totally solid Zelda-like game on the Genny.
Not so close to Zelda at all in fact, except for the presentation (obviously).

Game structure is not comparable at all, Soleil is story-driven and more linear. It has a great soundtrack.

Definitely an underrated game.

Sidescrolling platformer/RPG played across millions of years, jumping through different eras, and evolving into different creatures with different attributes as you go. It's got some properly weird alternate history stuff in there, lots of "bad endings" show you what would have happened to the world if you had failed, and it's really fun to evolve the different parts of your body to see all the different combinations.

It's on the SNES.

CD29EQ9.png

KDtED8p.png

I'm glad someone else said this. This game is a classic and I would kill for a new one.

woopWOOP

This is the only way I've really ever played Sim City. I love this version of the game.
We had a DOS version and the SNES version. I vastly preferred the SNES one. The additions like the changing seasons, different music for town sizes and those Wright cutscenes were small, but I loved them.

And the titlescreen is awesome

Chao

Adventures of Batman and Robin for the Genesis.

M4I0Jf8.gif
Yw0L3i7.gif

yVdheqP.gif
OSwNKCn.gif

40-Adventures-of-Batman-and-Robin-Genesis.gif
I honestly don't know the answer, but could this game have been possibly developed by Treasure? It looks absolutely like how a Treasure game on Mega Drive should look.

But it's too western themed to be treasure's I guess .

papusman

Neo Member
Uncharted Waters New Horizons

iBTUTzK.jpg

Open World RPG on SNES and Genesis.

Yes, you heard right. You can play as 6 different characters each with their own story line. This is much more well done than Seiken Densetsu 3 where there's just 1 story line with minor character alterations. It's open world so you can pretty much do whatever you want. If you want to beat the game, you have to earn fame and complete tasks relevant to your character.

You can be an adventurer and explore the world, and make discoveries. There are 98 discoveries in the game, but only 50 randomly appear in the game. So you'll never know what you'll find.

You can be a pirate, and fight naval battle, or duel 1 v 1 against ship captains.

You can be a trader, and make a fortune trading from port to port. Things like taxes, economy, and buy and sell rates are factored into it.

Then there is strategy in how to outfit your ships to suit your needs, recruiting mates to help you out, managing your food and water supply, and tons more. So much depth in this game.

How have I never heard of this?? That looks amazing!

How have I never heard of this?? That looks amazing!

That is what this thread is about. It's not a straight forward RPG. There is strategy to it. The learning curve is pretty steep at first, too. You have to learn your ships and how to outfit them, and then how to make money to keep your ship running. If you don't have money, you can buy food. You can starve out in the ocean. It killed me so many times when I first started. Almost gave up on the game.

The Story of Thor/Beyond Oasis and Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole

I don't know if those are "underrated" but they certainly don't get the praise they deserve. People are still talking a lot about Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger or old Zelda games, but not about those two Mega Drive/Genesis games. And they were just as good, IMO even better.

Some of these I'm looking at and thinking they aren't underrated and then I realize they are and that I hang around too many gaming forums

dwix

General Chaos. Some of the most fun co-op and local MP I had back in the day. Not sure it still holds up though...

TLTBwGz.jpg

8veSAyE.jpg

Chairhome

I honestly don't know the answer, but could this game have been possibly developed by Treasure? It looks absolutely like how a Treasure game on Mega Drive should look.

It is a Treasure game

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
zombie nation for nes a alien lands on earth and turns everyone on earth into zombies but that wasnt enough so he also stole a magical samurai sword thus making the samurai head you play as come alive to try and reclaim his sword

hqxx39k

k754zcd

kc8xp59

kd7353s

mjwwlrm

sometimes you have to fight the statue of liberty because she turned into medusa
kls7e8d

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Hokuto No Ken for the Sega Master System.

Unfortunately here in the west it got called Black Belt and had the sprites changed so characters were not recognizable anymore, but it was still a solid game that, back in the days, really gave you those Kenshiro vibes.

Boss finishers were amazing!

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

They also made a Fist of the North Star game for the Genesis which they ported to the west as Last Battle.

Syril

It was developed by Clockwork Tortoise, but it looks like they went under afterwards?

dadjumper

Pfft, I've heard of most of these, and they're all pretty well regarded.

What about Gokinjo Boukentai? It's a charming little RPG about a girl in pre-school. It has some MOTHER vibes about it and it's pretty cool, albeit grindy and a bit repetitive. I like it.
gokinjoua.jpg
gokinjo-2.png
gokinjo-14.png

(Images from this Hardcore Gaming 101 article. Worth a read.)

Griss

It's on the SNES.

Exactly what I was going to post. Not perfect, but the RPG / platformer genre blend and the evolution choices were all so far ahead of its time. The story is also goofy fun.

One of my all-time fav SNES games, with a ridiculously good soundtrack.

Coppanuva

McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure is a great hidden gem on the Genesis. It's a 2d platformer made by Treasure (I think technically their first published game) starring Ronald McDonald as you quest to find the treasure at the end of the map. Along the way you meet up with some of your favorite McDonald's characters like Grimace and the Hamburgler, and fight memorable bosses like "Giant tomato", "Flying Robot", and "Pirate but with Mick Jagger's lips"

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Rolo To The Rescue was one of my favourite games growing up, but the only times I hear it mentioned are when Jeff Gerstmann talks about ok but forgettable platformers. The game had really neat ideas regarding Rolo's friends' abilities and how you could unlock hidden levels with them. The number of levels was so insane I never beat the game. Got to the final boss with one life left and then it was game over.

Came to post this, loved that game. Fantastic Dizzy was good too

Tain

Shatterhand and Gimmick were awfully slept on for a long time, but they're starting to get the recognition they deserve. Gimmick might be the best platformer on the system, and that's saying a lot.

Some other cool games off the top of my head that I don't see too much talk of include Holy Diver, Ninja Warriors Again, Chelnov, Alisia Dragoon, Street Fighter 2010, Recca, Assault Suits Valken, GUN-DEC, and Shadow Dancer. None horribly obscure though.

Top Bottom