• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'mother!' earns rare F CinemaScore

adj_noun

When audiences hand ya lemons, make lemonade!

Audiences have braved Mother! and the reviews are in.

F
antastic!
F
rightening!
F
erocious!

Mother!

F

reaking awesome

Now playing at a theater near you

Apparently not. She got her full quota and the other big actors got 2-5 million each.

Haha suck it Paramount. She probably could still get another nomination though.

I honestly couldn't tell if her acting is good in this movie since she play so against her usual type.

Accoun

The trailer before "It" was embarrassing. I knew that the film was an arthouse movie but that trailer made it look like a big mainstream horror movie. The narrator was saying "THE SCARIEST MOVIE EVER", "REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE WHEN YOU SAW MOTHER" and "BUY YOUR TICKETS AFTER THE MOVIE"

I'm 100% unsurprised, people were duped, just like It Comes At Night & The Witch.

For real? I only saw the visual-less one (I think before Atomic Blonde?), which I guess was the teaser.

TaterTots

Banned
Never heard of this movie until yesterday and had no idea Lawrence was in it. After watching the trailer, I couldn't care less.

Not surprised. The friends I know who saw it said that they almost walked out, or that the batshit craziness was just too much. I didn't hate it, but I sure didn't like the last 30 minutes nor do I ever want to see it again. I also didn't feel duped by the trailers because it was best not knowing anything going into it. But Lawrence was fantastic in it.

Astral

I've never heard of this movie till now. I just saw the trailer and it doesn't really look like horror. Not quite anyway. It definitely made me wanna watch it though.

The trailer before "It" was embarrassing. I knew that the film was an arthouse movie but that trailer made it look like a big mainstream horror movie. The narrator was saying "THE SCARIEST MOVIE EVER", "REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE WHEN YOU SAW MOTHER" and "BUY YOUR TICKETS AFTER THE MOVIE"

I'm 100% unsurprised, people were duped, just like It Comes At Night & The Witch.
Yeah that trailer was horrible. Narrator was very annoying

The normal trailer has me interested now though

wazoo

That movie had a protagonist to root for and a hopeful ending for people to feel good about though (he finally becomes free again)

It is also in a very clear genre, where people feel good about seing it. It is also delivering exactly what it promised.

To be clear, I very much doubt racists would even pay to see that movie just to trash about it afterwards. Like i doubt pro-Nazis went and paid to watch Schindler's list.

The problem with Mother is that some people that would not want to see it if properly informed were misguided and went to see it. Then afterwards they were pissed and trashed the movie.

Ok, that trailer was lame. It even adds one bit
SPOILERS bump in belly SPOILERS
that isn't in the final release.
That moment is in the movie
Huh, must not have noticed it. Since there are only a couple of shots of it.

I don't see how that post makes me not understand what cinema scores is.

Cinemascores are a factor of what's trendy, marketing( you want to pull in the audience to enjoy it), and movie quality (higher quality movies can pull more from the fringes of people who would be interested).

The primary factors are trendiness and marketing. If people go in expecting comedy and get full on horror, they're probably going to rate it really badly.

They absolutely advertised this wrong. I saw the trailer before It and already assumed that Aronofsky wasn't going to make a rote horror film, but I heard several people around me saying "oooh, may need to check that out." If those people were to check reviews, they'd have seen scores in line with many other rote horror films, so unless they read the actual articles that made up the metascore, they wouldn't have known to stay away.
I enjoyed it for what it was, though perhaps it could have done with a bit less craft and a bit more continuity, but most of the (admittedly elder at the 130 matinee I attended) moviegoers expressed disgust and disappointment when the credits rolled. I heard the lady left of me say "that was the most pointless horror movie I've ever seen," while the couple behind me said "what did we just watch?"

It's the kind of movie that if you knew it was a biblical allegory going in, you can more easily connect all of the seemingly random happenings in the film with their well known counterparts (the dude's wound on his back - Adam's rib, the sons fighting - Cain and Abel, etc). Not sure how well tickets would have sold for a movie marketed as such, but at least your cinemascore would be populated by people who are open to arthouse wankery rather than people who just wanted to see another horror film with J Law feeling duped.

Cinemascore is an American thing, so it could be also since America is a very religious country, that how the film goes is kind of I guess blasphemous so Americans got pissed off? I think that's at least part to it. The main trailer markets it as a domestic invasion thriller and it sticks to that throughout the film, just has a lot more ambition and allegorical elements to it rather than scares and monsters (Conjuring, Insidious, etc).

I bet all Kubrick films would get F Cinemascores if it were a thing back then XD

ItIsOkBro

"12 Years a Slave" managed a "A" though.
Just make it good.

all transformers movies range from B+ to A

whatever this score is measuring, there's clearly a slant towards movies that are enjoyable for their entertainment value

these films aren't exactly uplifting, but were marketed correctly
gone girl: B
eternal sunshine: B-
nightcrawler: B-

but it does seem like the worst thing you can do is misleading marketing
unbreakable: C
eyes wide shut: D-

all transformers movies range from B+ to A

whatever this score is measuring, there's clearly a slant towards movies that are enjoyable for their entertainment value

these films aren't exactly uplifting, but were marketed correctly
gone girl: B
eternal sunshine: B-
nightcrawler: B-

but it does seem like the worst thing you can do is misleading marketing
unbreakable: C
eyes wide shut: D-

Detroit surprisingly got an A-.

Dabanton

"12 Years a Slave" managed a "A" though.
Just make it good.

That had a 'happy' ending though. Where Brad Pitt 'rescued' him

There is something true about films that don't leave the viewer feeling good about themselves. Hence why so many films chicken out of upsetting endings.

It seems films marketed as straight up horror but that are usually more 'arty' tend to get the worst backlashes.

SexyFish

Banned
Ah so many takes of "The audience must be wrong!"

Always enjoy those.

Or maybe he created a film that appeals to an extreme niche

I mean, the audience is going to be upset when they think ‘Oh, J Law in a spooky home invasion movie this should be good’ and get blindsided as fuck. An F doesn’t reflect the quality of the film at all.

My showing was full of the most bewildered people after the ending, was a great time.

Who is CinemaScore, and why do I care? It's weird that this gets a thread when I've literally never heard about them before.

Except that T_D is posting about this score as some kind of Trump revenge.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
After seeing it last night I cannot believe they gave it a wide release and tried to market it as a mainstream horror movie during the Halloween season. It's an extreme film.

I mean, the audience is going to be upset when they think ‘Oh, J Law in a spooky home invasion movie this should be good’ and get blindsided as fuck. An F doesn’t reflect the quality of the film at all.

My showing was full of the most bewildered people after the ending, was a great time.
Except the trailer doesn't give that impression at all. "Spooky home invasion movie"? What? Have you seen the typical trailers for home invasion movies; they tend to have a pretty similar template, even the playful ones like You're Next

Cinemascore is an American thing, so it could be also since America is a very religious country, that how the film goes is kind of I guess blasphemous so Americans got pissed off? I think that's at least part to it. The main trailer markets it as a domestic invasion thriller and it sticks to that throughout the film, just has a lot more ambition and allegorical elements to it rather than scares and monsters (Conjuring, Insidious, etc).

I bet all Kubrick films would get F Cinemascores if it were a thing back then XD

The movie is only "blasphemous" in subtext. Nobody who actually cares about that sort of thing is likely going to be doing that deep of a reading; unless you actually say the words Jesus 99% of the audience is going to let it go. It's not like unorthodox or critical takes on religion are uncommon in the horror-sphere anyway.

More likely most audiences don't like it for the same reason you hear a lot of divisive opinions on The Witch: it's a very, very slow burn. If you aren't really sold on atmosphere or just prefer your horror to be more aggressive then I can see how you might find the movie boring, at least the first 2/3rds of it.

tcrunch

My friend said he read a review that claimed they (major spoiler)
eat her one-day-old baby
. We were going to see it before he read that, now we're not seeing it lol. If an audience went in without knowing that was going to happen, I could see them giving it an F. Even the scene in The VVitch
also about baby killing and did not show anything
still made me EXTREMELY uncomfortable (good movie tho). But people in my audience walked out.

Like I really doubt this audience rating deal is anything more complex than a shock moment gone wrong since that kind of thing really upsets people.

The Shining was nominated for Razzies (worst director!)
The Shining had a slow start at the box office, but gained momentum, eventually doing well commercially during the summer of 1980 and making Warner Bros. a profit. It opened at first to mixed reviews. Janet Maslin of The New York Times lauded Nicholson's performance and praised the Overlook Hotel as an effective setting for horror, but wrote that "the supernatural story knows frustratingly little rhyme or reason […] Even the film's most startling horrific images seem overbearing and perhaps even irrelevant." Variety was critical, saying, "With everything to work with, ... Kubrick has teamed with jumpy Jack Nicholson to destroy all that was so terrifying about Stephen King's bestseller." A common initial criticism was the slow pacing, which was highly atypical of horror films of the time. Roger Ebert did not review the film on his television show when first released, and in print complained that it was hard to connect with any of the characters. It was the only one of Kubrick's last nine films to receive no nominations at all from either the Oscars or Golden Globes, but was nominated for a pair of Razzie Awards, including Worst Director and Worst Actress (Duvall), in the first year that award was given.

Top Bottom