• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motherfucker!! Some gotdamn freeware fubared my PDA..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just DL'ed this:

http://www.freewareppc.com/clock/calendar.shtml

..for my PDA (Dell Axim X50v thank you very much) in the hopes of having a more useful calendar that displayed events on my today screen. Well, the program does everything as advertised, only I noticed that when I started making entries into the calendar using the transcriber, it was chugging to keep up with my handwriting. I just got done making a host of entries into my contacts list via the transcriber with no problem, so it was clearly the plugin giving me issues.

I tried re-installing it to "main memory" as opposed to the "built in storage" thinking that maybe that was causing some kind of lag, but to no avail. Then I tried closing another plugin I have (vBar) to see if it was a conflict, and that didn't help either. So I finally removed the whole program in addition to some cheesy game that the PDA came with in the hopes of degumming the works, but the transcriber is still slow and refuses to recognize my print and convert it to text. To add to the whole mess, since I installed the calendar crap, ActiveSync is being a bitch and freezing up in the middle of "looking for changes".

What in the smelly fuck is going on here?!?! I like the relative simplicity of PDA's, but some of this shit is starting to piss me off on a near-PC caliber scale. And I'm dangerous when I'm mad at my computer..just ask the pantheon of keyboards, monitors, mice etc that now inhabit landfills. ActiveSync is so corny because it refuses to sync when I block its attempts to access the internet with ZoneAlarm (WTF does accessing the internet have to do with interfacing my PDA with my PC? Fuck you MS!!), and the software seems mostly like a facade instead of an actual tool for manipulating the PDA. I should have known buying this fucking hunk that there is no such thing as a magically simple problem-free piece of electronics nowadays. Help me...please...

No, I didn't soft reset. In fact I have no idea how to do that believe it or not (I know the hard reset button is on the back of the PDA). Clue a brotha in?

Xenon

How's the X50v treating you? I just got mine last night. Havent had much time to play with it. The one thing that is starting to scare me is how fubar the drivers are for the built in video card. Have you tried Morphgear or MameCE yet?

aaaaa0

ActiveSync creates a network connection between the PDA and your PC and uses SSL to talk. So as far as the PC is concerned it's just another network connection. That's probably why ZoneAlarm gets mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom