• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends Definitive Edition (Switch) Day One Patch...and my questions about it.

Seik

Banned
Hey all,

I just got my copy of Rayman Legends on Switch today. So far, yeah, if you don't care about the loading times mentioned by DF, it's a pretty solid port....AFTER being patched it seems.

However, I did play for the first time while being on the bus on my way back from work, where my Switch didn't have access to the internet. The Switch told me that there was a patch but I could start the game anyway. Everthing seemed fine, but then I arrived home and docked it later in the evening. I didn't have earphones on me so I just went for a quick ride and put it back in the bag to continue home.

The music seemed to be very low quality, loops seemed messed up, I wasn't too sure though, since I already had problem with Mario+Rabbids after waking it up after a long sleep (framerate was a mess until I restarted the app). So I restarted it as well to be sure the sound would still be as messed up. I noticed that it installed an update though, since it found my Wi-Fi connection at home, so I would never know if the base cartridge had some messed up code that fucked up the music. In fact, the sound was fine when I rebooted the game.

I wanted to go through this and find out, since I only did the first stage. So I deleted the whole thing along with the save. Switched the Switch to airplane mode and...

The Switch doesn't let me boot the game if I already installed the update before deleting it, even if it's non-existent in any form inside the Switch's storage.

Wow, that's kind of fucked up. I mean, yeah, propose the patch, but don't fucking block me from playing the game because I don't have internet. Read my tag and you'll understand that I immediately thought about a distant future where Nintendo's servers wouldn't hand patches for Switch games anymore, and when I'd have to change my storage, for whatever reason, the game could potentially be blocked since the console would have downloaded the patch a first time in its lifetime?

So I did some digging on Google hoping to find the patch notes for this day 1 patch and couldn't manage to find anything. Can anyone help?

It would be a fucking shame that this 'Definitive Edition' was so broken without the patch, it basically makes the cartridge useless. I know the term 'broken' gets used pretty easily around here. But the music seemed broken to me, and while the gameplay was intact, a game without proper music isn't a fun experience at all.

Also, if by any chance, you have a wrapped copy of Rayman Legends Definitive Edition, try to boot it offline without loading the patch and report back, I'd like to know. :)

Shin-Ra

Did you delete the save file from the patched game as well because you can have incompatibility issues there.

Seik

Banned
Did you delete the save file as well because you can have incompatibility issues there.

I deleted everything.

The Switch forces you to re-patch the game to be able to play if you did download it once, even after deleting the whole thing. I would be glad to be wrong though, heh!

Byvar

I think it's likely that the music would be messed up without the day one patch. They released a demo for the game a while back that had broken audio, and had to pull it from the store. It was only put back weeks later after they fixed it.
Does it sound like it does in this video?

Seik

Banned
I think it's likely that the music would be messed up without the day one patch. They released a demo for the game a while back that had broken audio, and had to pull it from the store. It was only put back weeks later after they fixed it.
Does it sound like it does in this video?

I had no idea they released a demo like that.

It sounds very similar to what I experienced. It would be shocking that Ubi chose to print the cartridges with this. :(

Now I want someone to be able to confirm this even more.

I deleted everything.

The Switch forces you to re-patch the game to be able to play if you did download it once, even after deleting the whole thing. I would be glad to be wrong though, heh!

It was the same on Wii U.

Patch a game, delete the patch -can't boot the game until you install the patch again.

No online? Too bad, game is locked until you get that patch.

It would be a fucking shame that this 'Definitive Edition' was so broken without the patch, it basically makes the cartridge useless. I know the term 'broken' gets used pretty easily around here. But the music seemed broken to me, and while the gameplay was intact, a game without proper music isn't a fun experience at all.

This is the way many games are handled nowadays. Ship a semi-broken game and let the day 1 patch handle the major issues that are left. Buying physical copies doesn't mean much nowadays when you're not getting the final version without an Internet connection.

D.Lo

Man this release is a mess. Might grab the Wii U version.

I had a similar issue with Splatoon 2.
That's at least 95% an online GAAS game, it makes sense you'd need the latest version at any time. And you'd definitely have a save file incompatibility if 'downgrading' version.

Seik

Banned
Man this release is a mess. Might grab the Wii U version.

That's at least 95% an online GAAS game, it makes sense you'd need the latest version at any time. And you'd definitely have a save file incompatibility if 'downgrading' version.

Yeah exactly, Splatoon 2 is mostly online based. Rayman is another story though.

Anyways, the patched port is fine though. It's mostly a bad news for folks that rely on physical products for preservation purposes. Old almost-thirdy shmuck that I am.

Seik

Banned
So this port is bad? I wanted to grab it when <€20 but I hate long loading times...

The load times are a couple seconds more than the other consoles.

Game so far seems to be 1080p/60 locked.

I had sounds issues while docked at first, but my console was offline so it didn't have the day 1 patch.

With the patch, the game is basically as good as any other versions. I was mainly ranting because the unpatched cartridge seems to have sounds issues.

Top Bottom