• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motion Sickness from Spider-Man?

haxan7

Banned
So I got home from a week-long work trip Wednesday night, and the first order of business Thursday morning was to head to Best Buy to pick up Spider-Man.

Played it on and off a bit during the early afternoon, then settled down for a longer session after dinner. Around 4-5 hours later, I noticed a headache building up that didn't really have a cause I could pinpoint. Then I realized - I've just been swinging around NYC like mad for the last 5 hours. Motion sickness. This is also the reason I had to quit the Shadow of the Colossus remaster.

Anyone else having a problem with this?

If I stick it out will I adjust and not get sick?

Sweetloaf

Does the camera autocorrect? I found this with Mario Odyssey, eventually got used to it but it nearly made me quit. I also found this with The Surge, fortunately that had a feature called camera swing or something which you could turn off. I think it's cause when camera movement occurs that you aren't in control of, i.e your brain isn't expecting.

AlexxKidd

I'm not experiencing it, but you're talking to a man who owns a PSVR. You can swing a variety of ways in the game, if you're experiencing motion sickness my suggestion would be for you to swing strait, almost like you're walking down the street, make sharp turns (L1 + X or R2), almost like you're walking or driving a car. Don't swing wildly over buildings turning the camera all kinds of ways, that's probably a contributing factor to what you're doing.

Also, stay away from those bird chasing optional tasks, because those birds fly very sporadically and it may force you into doing the same. There will be non-optional times that will require the type of swinging that sticking to the roads won't allow for, but at that point you'll either have to suck it up or decide whether the game is for you.

From my VR experience, the more you play, the more tolerance you build up.

Neverwas

beat the whole game without a bit of motion sickness. watched my friend play for 20 minutes last night and noticed myself getting woozy.

VulcanRaven

Try changing some of the settings:
nHU8r77sCYFLvy-ZozgYVtiyayI_G3NybMTKp35jTWU.jpg

It might be easier to play without motion blur and chromatic aberration.

WaterAstro

I didn't get it. I didn't even feel the vertigo on really high drops that usually makes me feel uncomfortably tense.

haxan7

Banned
Does the camera autocorrect? I found this with Mario Odyssey, eventually got used to it but it nearly made me quit. I also found this with The Surge, fortunately that had a feature called camera swing or something which you could turn off. I think it's cause when camera movement occurs that you aren't in control of, i.e your brain isn't expecting.

Nope, I don't believe the camera autocorrects (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm not experiencing it, but you're talking to a man who owns a PSVR. You can swing a variety of ways in the game, if you're experiencing motion sickness my suggestion would be for you to swing strait, almost like you're walking down the street, make sharp turns (L1 + X or R2), almost like you're walking or driving a car. Don't swing wildly over buildings turning the camera all kinds of ways, that's probably a contributing factor to what you're doing.

Also, stay away from those bird chasing optional tasks, because those birds fly very sporadically and it may force you into doing the same. There will be non-optional times that will require the type of swinging that sticking to the roads won't allow for, but at that point you'll either have to suck it up or decide whether the game is for you.

From my VR experience, the more you play, the more tolerance you build up.

I was shooting around with wreckless abandon, using lots of X button presses to web catapult (that's my name for it because I don't know what it's actually called) and just generally going nuts. When I play later today I'll keep these tips in mind.

beat the whole game without a bit of motion sickness. watched my friend play for 20 minutes last night and noticed myself getting woozy.

This is what happens to me in cars. If I ride as a passenger for too long, I get a motion sickness headache that keeps getting worse until I get out of the car and take advil. I found that eating something beforehand helps, but only for ~30 min trips.

Try changing some of the settings:
nHU8r77sCYFLvy-ZozgYVtiyayI_G3NybMTKp35jTWU.jpg

It might be easier to play without motion blur and chromatic aberration.

Hmm I will turn off chromatic aberration and set motion blur to 1 and see what happens. Haven't played yet today but planning to hit it in the next hour or so.

It didn't affect me but my wife came in the room and watched me play for a bit. When the game switched to night time she said she was getting motion sick.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's true that being the driver isn't the same as being a passenger. My step daughter started crawling around and hiding under ledges in a building. It made the game feel less appealing. I had to wait to play it for a couple hours. You start to feel like you're watching someone stare at a wall in a Far Cry game. It's meant to have this realistic appeal, but it can feel mundane if you just stay there staring at a texture on a door.

One thing that got me was that Spider-Man can shoot up into the air, but there has to be a building above him, otherwise he just drops. This is great until you realize that web swinging closer to the ground is key to moving around. I also had some moments where I would hit a wall and it threw me off. I can run or jump, but those odd moments where everything stopped were in my way.

I use to have sweaty palms from being up high as a kid. In Infamous on PS3 I had sweaty palms if I was climbing a tower. I can position myself with precise accuracy, but I still felt the void of space beneath my feet.

3D space is infinite. If games can get to that sense of reality then it's a good thing. I have had the negative effects of gravity in a video game too. In the Souls games it was being up high and getting knocked off by either a misstep or getting hit off the tiny platform for a 10,000+ foot drop.

I recommend being the driver with Spider-Man. It may sound crazy, but maybe limit the exposure of others around you. That way you don't feel like you're the guiding eyes for other people. For example pausing the game if you know someone is going to speak to you or if you know you're going to quit playing. I would mess around with photo mode until I felt better about swinging into the sunset of towers.

I also noticed that once I got the hang of things and I was zipping through the city; that I almost felt like I had overdone it. I was finishing the game knowing all the moves versus having fun catching myself from a fall.

Also... I had motion sickness from the Star Wars ride at Walt Disney World as a kid.

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned
Played it again today for about 2 hours and the headache is back.

Looks like I'm trading it in to get Lara.

Skyfox

Are you sure it’s not a setting on your tv? Smooth motion, auto volume, those auto-interpolation settings that have different names on every tv?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Yeah, no sense getting a headache. Outside of changing the setting on your TV, do you play in a well lit room? I remember game manuals use to always say that.

I have a "retail" setting on my big screen and I play most of my games with that mode turned on. The game mode makes it look worse if you ask me.

haxan7

Banned
Are you sure it’s not a setting on your tv? Smooth motion, auto volume, those auto-interpolation settings that have different names on every tv?

Nope, I have all that turned off to reduce input lag since I learned a few years ago all those post processing effects increase input lag. Went in and checked to make sure.

Yeah, no sense getting a headache. Outside of changing the setting on your TV, do you play in a well lit room? I remember game manuals use to always say that.

I have a "retail" setting on my big screen and I play most of my games with that mode turned on. The game mode makes it look worse if you ask me.

Pretty well lit. I don't think it's that, I usually play games for 4-8 hours every night after work in these same lighting conditions and I don't get headaches. Pretty sure it's the game itself.

In other news I'm already at 35% completion so I think I will just power through in 1-2 hour bursts here and there. I was actually mostly fine playing it again after dinner tonight. I just have a general discomfort in my eyes ... I feel a sense of motion and have a weird visual "tinge" like I just smoked a bunch of weed really fast (I didn't).

Also got a haircut earlier today, and felt dizzy when the barber spinned me around. I've been getting my hair cut at the same place for 6 years and that was the first time that happened. Definitely something going on here.

Last edited:

PhewerSonic

Neo Member
I have this problem when playing any kind of games like this. I read somewhere that a sea band and a ginger pill would help lol I got the sea band and wear it whenever I’m playing. Got the pills too and even thought I was skeptical at first I’m glad that it does help me out and I’m able to play. Check it out and see if it helps you out too.

Top Bottom