• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorcity (from the creators of Megas XLR) |OT| WE DIG HEAVY METAL RACING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Jo9zS.png

Starts airing: April 30th on Disney XD
Note: For the purpose of this first post, text written in bold will represent the average GAFfer who enjoys friggin' awesome shows.

So what exactly is this sho-
DOUBLE CHAINSAW-EDGED STAFF!
dLpj8wapTzrQt.gif

HOL-SHITWTFASDF!11 HOW CAN I WATCH THIS (legally)?!!?
The first episode is, as of this post, available in HD and SD, for FREE on iTunes:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/motorcity-vol.-1/id517052911
All future eps. will be up on iTunes at least a day after airing.

I'm waiting for my download to finish, is there anything else I should know?
Yes, the villain is voiced by Mark Hamill.

...WHY WON'T THIS DOWNLOAD FASTER!?!?!
Put on some headphones, crank the volume to maximum and keep listening to the intro-
http://yencid.tumblr.com/post/21752792272
FEEL THE METAL COURSE THROUGH YOUR VEINS!

Avatars forthcoming, if anyone wants some

Have some random GIFs, and please support the official release!
More GIFs in post #4~

Thanks go to yencid for providing the banner, THE EPIC INTRO and various GIFs.

Dali

I didn't click this thread because of the "from the creators of Megas XLR". I finally broke down and clicked and suprisingly this actually looks good.

Khezu

I didn't click this thread because of the "from the creators of Megas XLR". I finally broke down and clicked and suprisingly this actually looks good.

You didn't like megas? First time I have ever seen someone that didn't like it.

Epcott

What the? Where the hell did this come from?
First Tron Uprising, and now this?

(furiously clicks youtube link... damn... its not an episode)

Hope there's a Megas cameo!

Wooowww. Some of the best animation I've seen on TV in a long time. The characters are appealing and the cars are awesome. The show has really got a "look" nailed down. I hope it stays this way.

The action was nice and the visuals overall are great.

The plot seemed to move a little too fast, probably in an attempt to both introduce the world/characters and hook viewers with action sequences.

The blond kid is really annoying.

I'll keep watching.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm really liking this series so far. I was kinda hoping for a redline like series, but the premise works.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Watched the first episode. Pacing was a bit off but I'm liking it so far. I'll definitely give it another chance.

Wiseblade

I watched the first episode and while it was entertaining and visually impressive, it was a little hard to follow what was going on at times. I'll definitely be keeping track of this show though.

I'm in love. Also, Jacob was definitely Goat. If you look at the end of the episode, right behind him is a logo with the name Goat on it. It has to be. He looks similar to the version of Goat that was in Dethklok.

Khezu

Just caught the second episode, still pretty awesome.

Not a whole lot of interesting plot so far, but the action is great, and I like all the characters, especially texas.

Pepboy

Just finished the first episode. I strongly disliked Mega XLS. This show is a bit better, I'll probably give it two more episodes to impress, only because of Texas and the beautiful environments. In general I would only recommend this show for kids (not because it's animated) or car/metal fans. Otherwise I would say the writing and plot does not seem to be substantial enough for non-car addicts.

As a kid, I would have eaten this up. It reminds me of SWAT Cats, and I'm glad it exists for that demographic. But I don't enjoy or understand the car theme (I almost want to say fetish, in a non-sexual way) that this and Mega XLS both employed. I'm also not much of a metal fan.

I'll spoil my pros and cons to be safe but I'm not saying anything too specific, just general impressions.

Pros:
Beautiful environments. Generally smooth animation. Hand-to-Hand Combat. Texas (the character). Voice actors pretty good.

Cons:
Heavy focus on car theme.

Outside of Texas, nothing unexpected happened in first episode.

Main character (I've already forgotten his name). He's established early on as one of the worst Mary Sue's in recent memory. He even has a weak, whimpering sidekick (who I am sure will have an episode soon where he "learns to be brave to protect his friends" only to revert 3 episodes later). This sidekick only serves to emphasize how cool Mary Sue is. Based on the first episode it's unclear how old detroit survived for so long without Mary Sue to guide them.

Villain is pretty archetypical, even though he's voiced by Mark Hamil. For someone who became rich and famous and developed an entirely new city, he doesn't seem particularly bright. E.g. He blatantly discusses how he's going to force Old Detroit citizens to enjoy New Detroit, whether they like it or not (archetypical villian). He does this while on Live TV with the current citizens of New Detroit -- I doubt any citizen wants to know their leader is a terrible person (not too bright).

Don't care about either of the two plot points they set up to explore in future episodes. (Female Rebel and why Mary Sue left the villains employ)

I don't really understand why the citizens don't just leave Detroit. It's not like this guy rules the world. Actually they haven't discussed the world at large. It might be interesting if this was the last city in the world and characters leave at some point after getting defeated in a big battle. Then return to Motorcity after several episodes of travelling the wasteland only to return with more friends, experience, and technology. But I doubt this show will take that path.

FillerB

I'll spoil my pros and cons to be safe but I'm not saying anything too specific, just general impressions.

Pros:
-stuff-

Cons:
-stuff-

Gotta say I agree on most of that stuff. While the animation and sound are gorgeous the characters and the setting haven't really grabbed me yet. I really liked Megas XLR because it didn't take itself seriously at all and was more about just being fun. Destroyed the entire city? Oh well, atleast I still have my Slushie. Whereas this shows seems to focus way more on the drama and lives surrounding a group of freedom fighters/terrorists. It's like a more richly developed version of the Megas XLR finale and I'm not sure yet whether that's something I would want.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Yeah, motorcity has risen up to shows that I anticipate weekly. People will look away due to the art, but its a part if the charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom