• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

Business

Rossi opened the pandora box with that press conference by shitting on Márquez. He acted like Mourinho, classless. And now he will eat crow.

Can't say Marquez was a class act today either. You can say he was doing his own race but let's get real he was screwing up Rossi's championship on purpose.

Juicy Bob

Pathetic to see two excellent world champions acting like children. I've lost a lot of respect for both Marquez and Rossi this season.

I hope Lorenzo takes this title now. It would feel like justice.

Mastah

Rossi opened the pandora box with that press conference by shitting on Márquez. He acted like Mourinho, classless. And now he will eat crow.

Yep, "you reap what you sow".

Rossi got 3 penalty points and will start from the back in Valencia.

tzare

Can't say Marquez was a class act today either. You can say he was doing his own race but let's get real he was screwing up Rossi's championship on purpose.
He was screwing up Rossi on purpose TODAY because of what Rossi said thursday. He is 22 Rossi is 36. Rossi had shut up thursday or stayed behind Márquez until last laps nothing had happened. But here we are..

Business

He was screwing up Rossi on purpose TODAY because of what Rossi said thursday. He is 22 Rossi is 36. Rossi had shut up thursday or stayed behind Márquez until last laps nothing had happened. But here we are..

You don't stay behind watching how the title slips from your hands because the rider in front of you has decided to screw you up at all costs banking on the fact he has nothing to lose.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Rossi is a moron. You don't start a fight with someone who isn't even racing against you anymore, you shut up and beat the one you're fighting for the championship on the track. If you can't beat Lorenzo you don't deserve the title.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Our commentator made a fair point, that Rossi with all his experience should done things differently today.

Yamaha appealed on Race control's decision

tzare

You don't stay behind watching how the title slips from your hands because the rider in front of you has decided to screw you up at all costs banking on the fact he has nothing to lose.
You forget two things:

Márquez usually fights to the limit regardless of the situation. If that wasn't the case he wouldn't have tried and beated Lorenzo in the last race and, by doing that helping Rossi vs Lorenzo in the Championship.

Rossi shitted on Márquez thursday with false accusations without arguments. Márquez was probably mad and angry so if he could screw Rossi up , why not?

Rossi is the slowest of the top 4 so in most normal situations he would be fighting for 3rd. He did not have Pedrosa or Lorenzo's pace so it had been wiser to let Márquez lead until last laps, as has happened multiple times, and the try to beat him.

Business

You forget two things:

Márquez usually fights to the limit regardless of the situation. If that wasn't the case he wouldn't have tried and beated Lorenzo in the last race and, by doing that helping Rossi vs Lorenzo in the Championship.

Rossi shitted on Márquez thursday with false accusations without arguments. Márquez was probably mad and angry so if he could screw Rossi up , why not?

Rossi is the slowest of the top 4 so in most normal situations he would be fighting for 3rd. He did not have Pedrosa or Lorenzo's pace so it had been wiser to let Márquez lead until last laps, as has happened multiple times, and the try to beat him.

Why not? Because it's poor sportsmanship. Look Rossi lost it today, but Marquez didn't come out of this race much better.

TJP

Hilarious to think Marquez owes Rossi anything. Rossi's job is to pass Marquez & not to have other riders simply give up their positions because he has a world title to win.

It was a stupid move by Rossi - slowing down then leaning left on a right turn was a dick move.

Roll on the last round; I'm sure the Spanish crowd will let Rossi know who their supporting.

caramac

You would have thought Rossi would have had the experience to handle that situation the best he could.

Marquez's career is littered with asshole moments.

tzare

Why not? Because it's poor sportsmanship. Look Rossi lost it today, but Marquez didn't come out of this race much better.
As it was Rossi' press conference. He provoked Márquez.The difference here is clear, Marquez is still a kid and reacted to provocation, yet he only fought, legally btw, for 3rd position.
Rossi on the other hand, shitted on Márquez, and kicked him in the race. He is 36 years old. The one with experience. And do not forget he has had a number of incidents with other riders in the past. So not exactly the same.

Jezbollah

You would have thought Rossi would have had the experience to handle that situation the best he could.

you're pretty much spot on there Caramac. A rider of his experience would not have made that an issue if they didnt want to.

I have long felt that whilst Marquez is too hot headed to properly "race" in a heated situation, Rossi isnt.

Then again, there are plenty of moments like this in Rossi's career (see Gibernau, Sete).

Business

Agreed.

As it was Rossi' press conference. He provoked Márquez.The difference here is clear, Marquez is still a kid and reacted to provocation, yet he only fought, legally btw, for 3rd position.
Rossi on the other hand, shitted on Márquez, and kicked him in the race. He is 36 years old. The one with experience. And do not forget he has had a number of incidents with other riders in the past. So not exactly the same.

So if Marquez was totally fine why do you feel the need to justify him because he is only a kid and was provoked in a press conference. No offence but I think nationality is clouding your judgement to the point it's not possible to have a fair argument.

Kikujiro

So if Marquez was totally fine why do you feel the need to justify him because he is only a kid and was provoked in a press conference. No offence but I think nationality is clouding your judgement to the point it's not possible to have a fair argument.

The only fair argument here is that Marquez played by the rules and Rossi didn't. I don't know how you can accuse him of being biased when you yourself sound extremely biased in favor of Rossi.

Business

The only fair argument here is that Marquez played by the rules and Rossi didn't. I don't know how you can accuse him of being biased when you yourself sound extremely biased in favor of Rossi.

I don't agree with what he keeps going back and forth with, that is that either:

Marquez was right to mess with Rossi on purpose ruining the race of both because he was provoked in a press conference.

Marquez rided as fair as he could.

Either of these is wrong in my opinion. The first would be poor sportmanship, the second you just have to be too naive to believe it. I never defended Rossi's move, Rossi did a dick move and handled the situation in a bad way, and has been penalized for that. But let's not pretend Marquez is either a poor kid that did it all in good faith today or that he did bad faith but was justified by Rossi's words before the race. That's all.

caramac

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2015/10/25/sepangclash-race-direction-verdict-on-rossi-marquez/188434

op0p6hw.png

m0t0k1

So sad that this kinda ruining the amazing motogp season we where having. Its gonna be really though for Rossi to get the championship now. By watching the replay on twitter it looks like Marquez was bumping against Rossi and he used his knee to back him off. Both where wrong because Marquez was really annoying against Rossi and let Lorenzo and Pedrosa easy pass. But Rossi should have behaved too and not make that move.

moojito

Since the bbc stopped showing moto gp I see almost no news/coverage of it. Pretty sad, as I really enjoyed the couple of years I was following it.

tzare

I don't agree with what he keeps going back and forth with, that is that either:

Marquez was right to mess with Rossi on purpose ruining the race of both because he was provoked in a press conference.

Marquez rided as fair as he could.

Either of these is wrong in my opinion. The first would be poor sportmanship, the second you just have to be too naive to believe it. I never defended Rossi's move, Rossi did a dick move and handled the situation in a bad way, and has been penalized for that. But let's not pretend Marquez is either a poor kid that did it all in good faith today or that he did bad faith but was justified by Rossi's words before the race. That's all.
What did Marquez do wrong?

trying to stay ahead of Rossi because he had better pace? Is that a bad thing? No, according to you he should have stayed behind Rossi who was never going to catch Lorenzo, and has finished 13 seconds behind Pedrosa. On top of that you have the logical reaction to Rossi's words on Thursday that started everything. Marquez is young and temperamental, so even if he had been slower than Rossi, that was not the case, he would have tried everything to beat him. But thats is poor sportmanship for you.
That is why Marquez beat Lorenzo in the previous race, to help him. And why he hasn't been punished. Because he fucking did nothing. Rossi did. You can check Stoner' s twitter to see what he thinks for example.

Btw i just didn't want Lorenzo not to win the championship. I can't stand him.

Bandit1

35 to go at Talladega. Elimination race. Jr. in the lead after a penalty. Anybody else watching this? Jr. has to win to advance, hoping Gordon will advance too.

Business

What did Marquez do wrong?

trying to stay ahead of Rossi because he had better pace? Is that a bad thing? No, according to you he should have stayed behind Rossi who was never going to catch Lorenzo, and has finished 13 seconds behind Pedrosa. On top of that you have the logical reaction to Rossi's words on Thursday that started everything. Marquez is young and temperamental, so even if he had been slower than Rossi, that was not the case, he would have tried everything to beat him. But thats is poor sportmanship for you.
That is why Marquez beat Lorenzo in the previous race, to help him. And why he hasn't been punished. Because he fucking did nothing. Rossi did. You can check Stoner' s twitter to see what he thinks for example.

Btw i just didn't want Lorenzo not to win the championship. I can't stand him.

I agree with what race direction said. Stoner won't be your most neutral source.

35 to go at Talladega. Elimination race. Jr. in the lead after a penalty. Anybody else watching this? Jr. has to win to advance, hoping Gordon will advance too.
Started watching about then. Jr fucked up the entry to pit road, dropped back to about 15th... and almost singlehandedly picked off one car at a time up to 2nd (!!!).

Dude is every bit as good as his dad was on the restrictor plate tracks, and his dad was a goddamn wizard.

GWC, now, which kinda sucks. We're gonna get one move off the restart (and then everyone will wreck and end it)

Been fun to watch, though.

Juicy Bob

Without spoiling, is the Talledega race worth downloading?

I usually watch all the restrictor plate NASCAR races but I had to prioritise F1 instead.

Without spoiling, is the Talledega race worth downloading?

I usually watch all the restrictor plate NASCAR races but I had to prioritise F1 instead.
Not over yet. We're in GWC hell, I'll let you know if the ending is a crushing disappointment (it will probably be a disappointment)

I didn't see most of the race, but ~40 to go to now was great. But you know how GWCs tend to make everything suck...

Update:

NASCAR has put themselves in the position of arbitrarily picking a winner. One of the possible winners is Dale Jr. Who is eliminated from the (stupid) playoff system if he is not the winner.

In a world of incompetent racing organizations, this is the worst. Easily!

e:
They didn't pick him, though, they gave it to Logano. Some will argue that this is good. They are wrong, no outcome there could be considered good

Bandit1

Update:

NASCAR has put themselves in the position of arbitrarily picking a winner. One of the possible winners is Dale Jr. Who is eliminated from the (stupid) playoff system if he is not the winner.

In a world of incompetent racing organizations, this is the worst. Easily!

e:
They didn't pick him, though, they gave it to Logano. Some will argue that this is good. They are wrong, no outcome there could be considered good

Yeah, they had to make the call because they wouldn't be able to race back to the line, but it's disappointing because I think Jr. could have got Lagano. And yeah, I'm really not liking the decisions NASCAR has been making in the last few years. The chase elimination is crap, Lagano won the last three, and could win the next three, and lose the championship due to bad luck in the final race. I've been a big Jeff Gordon fan for years, so once he's done I'm out.

[...] And yeah, I'm really not liking the decisions NASCAR has been making in the last few years. [...]
It's been longer than that. From the time Bill France Jr stepped down (2000) and his dumbass son + friends took over, I can count the intelligent decisions NASCAR has made on one finger. (driver safety -- and their hand was forced there)

Every rule change -- from the double file restarts, to the GWC rules, to the Chase, to the newer crappier Chase -- has been either bungled or completely idiotic to begin with. They've consistently sacrificed substance for drama, quality for hype. And, in a somewhat reassuring twist, ratings have fallen, sponsorships have dried up (can barely field a full 43 these days), and profits are down. I say reassuring, because dumbassery is being punished.

Given the lack of leadership, I kinda feel like it's a matter of time before the big franchise teams split off to start their own series. But I don't know what kind of money changes hands to prevent that, so who knows.

Anyway, I'm only a casual viewer at this point, and that seems unlikely to change. Thank goodness for other forms of racing. Sucks that ISC owns (almost) all the big American race tracks, fingers crossed that they go bankrupt and start selling them off.

Bandit1

It's been longer than that. From the time Bill France Jr stepped down (2000) and his dumbass son + friends took over, I can count the intelligent decisions NASCAR has made on one finger. (driver safety -- and their hand was forced there)

Every rule change -- from the double file restarts, to the GWC rules, to the Chase, to the newer crappier Chase -- has been either bungled or completely idiotic to begin with. They've consistently sacrificed substance for drama, quality for hype. And, in a somewhat reassuring twist, ratings have fallen, sponsorships have dried up (can barely field a full 43 these days), and profits are down. I say reassuring, because dumbassery is being punished.

Given the lack of leadership, I kinda feel like it's a matter of time before the big franchise teams split off to start their own series. But I don't know what kind of money changes hands to prevent that, so who knows.

Anyway, I'm only a casual viewer at this point, and that seems unlikely to change. Thank goodness for other forms of racing. Sucks that ISC owns (almost) all the big American race tracks, fingers crossed that they go bankrupt and start selling them off.

Pretty much agree with all your points. I think it would be awesome if Jeff Gordon or someone else who hasn't won a race would win this championship without winning a race just to embarass NASCAR.

Pryce

Part of me thinks something should happen to Harvick. Looked damn obvious to me what he did.

Of course, NASCAR has no one to blame but themselves for forcing drivers to do shit like that under this system.

Pls win Martinsville Gordon pls.

Pretty much agree with all your points. I think it would be awesome if Jeff Gordon or someone else who hasn't won a race would win this championship without winning a race just to embarass NASCAR.
I'd be ok with Gordon going out on top. He's been robbed of a title or two by the Chase, IIRC.

Though my real dream for the last race involves all the contenders crashing early, and two duct-taped cars limping around 40 laps down to see who will be champion.

Bandit1

I'd be ok with Gordon going out on top. He's been robbed of a title or two by the Chase, IIRC.

Though my real dream for the last race involves all the contenders crashing early, and two duct-taped cars limping around 40 laps down to see who will be champion.

I know of at least one he should have won if the chase hadn't been implemented.

Great interview with Indy Car legend Rick Mears talking about how downforce is the root of all evil. It's Indy Car and oval racing focused, but you can apply it to whatever form of car racing you'd like.

Couldn't agree more with him.

I can't watch it, but is it to do with safety? Safe to assume it's regarding how instant loss of it can cause accident?

It's a written article, but yeah, that exact point is mentioned. It's mostly about philosophical differences with the cars people race these days however. Everything is so aero dependent.

Business

Great interview with Indy Car legend Rick Mears talking about how downforce is the root of all evil. It's Indy Car and oval racing focused, but you can apply it to whatever form of car racing you'd like.

Couldn't agree more with him.

Great read and totally agree as well. As a European I think about this issue more in terms of road circuit racing but his points on oval racing and terminal speeds make a lot of sense as well.

Honeslty I don't understand how this is not obvious to more people and specially the ones running the championships. All we get is patches, tyres with stripes or more exotic things like DRS or whatever they come up with, but somehow they keep neglecting the root of the problem.

Great read and totally agree as well. As a European I think about this issue more in terms of road circuit racing but his points on oval racing and terminal speeds make a lot of sense as well.

Honeslty I don't understand how this is not obvious to more people and specially the ones running the championships. All we get is patches, tyres with stripes or more exotic things like DRS or whatever they come up with, but somehow they keep neglecting the root of the problem.

100% yep. It's baffling to me too. How can people whose job is to understand what makes good racing botch the hell out of it. At least some of the governing bodies are seemingly starting to come around. Well, except for IndyCar who thought it would be better to add 30% more DF last year. They got absolute nothing in return, but headaches.

Bandit1

Jeff Gordon wins!!! My man. So happy right now, he's locked into Homestead and has a chance to win the championship in his final season.

B.K.

It's going to be interesting Tuesday to see if Kenseth is suspended just for Texas or the rest of the season. I wouldn't mind if someone wrecked Logano every race this round of the Chase. I can't stand him and his attitude. Same with Keselowski. Worst champion ever.

Top Bottom