• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

BeeDog

Damn, just got home (sorry test_account! But I'm online now for a while :)) and checked the update out. Good shit; the new level feels like a throwback to Pacific Rift. Too bad about the no destruction part, but it's still free, so :D. And the night version is the best-looking stage in the game by far.

BeeDog

Sorry for bumping, but can anyone suggest the best racing line for the Docklands stage (the last Weekly Challenge, 15,000 cr.)? I can't seem to get below 01,09, and the clear time is 01,05.

Himself

Dedication Through Light said:
What do you mean, Pacific Rift set the bar for post launch racing support too. I believe that they will continue the trend.

I picked up Pacific Rift way after release so I have no idea what they added and if any of it was free. It's the free track and extensive patching that really sticks out to me here as representing what I consider great post-launch support.

test_account

XP-39C²
BeeDog said:
Damn, just got home (sorry test_account! But I'm online now for a while :)) and checked the update out. Good shit; the new level feels like a throwback to Pacific Rift. Too bad about the no destruction part, but it's still free, so :D. And the night version is the best-looking stage in the game by far.
No worries :) Unfortunately i cant play more today :\ But i can play tomorrow around 2pm - 3pm.

EDIT: Or.. maybe i can play for a bit soon. I will send you a message if i can play.

test_account

XP-39C²
Tried the new patch now. Didnt get around to test it a lot, but things that i noticed was that the font size for whos speaking on the headset is now a bit bigger and there is now a box around "searching for players". There is also an "Ø" icon where the medals are show after each race if you dont receive any medals for that race.

I'm not sure if this was due to the host, but after the level has loaded, it seemed to start faster than usual. The countdown after each level is finished also seemed to load quicker.

I didnt get around to check out how much tweaks that have been done to the dirt bike and super bike, does anyone know?

The new weekly challenges and the new level are great additions! :) Pretty cool the new level. Only got to try it out 2 times (1 time at night cycle, 1 time at day cycle), so i didnt get time to explore the level too much, but from what i saw it was great =)

Also cool to play against BeeDog =)

EDIT: And against Interstellar too =)

BeeDog

The games vs. you and Interstellar were great, damn you guys are good. I can't really compete too much.

Anyway, the new challenges are damn hard, especially the last Weekly Challenge. Can't come lower than 01,06. :/ Any help with picking the optimal racing line would be appreciated.

test_account

XP-39C²
BeeDog said:
The games vs. you and Interstellar were great, damn you guys are good. I can't really compete too much.

Anyway, the new challenges are damn hard, especially the last Weekly Challenge. Can't come lower than 01,06. :/ Any help with picking the optimal racing line would be appreciated.
I didnt make it myself (only tried a few times), but maybe these are a few tips. I use this video as a reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuXlMOpx5UE

At the begining (0:13 - 0:15) there are two bumps. If you boost right before this (dont remember at which bump), it is possible to gain some air which can cool down your engine with maybe 20-30%. It might be random how much air you get depending on where you hit that bump, but i got some noticeably air there at least.

At 0:53, it is possible to take a turn down to the right there. I'm not sure if this is any advantage, but it is a "hidden" path.

Other than this, i think that this video shows a pretty good racing line.

Interstellar

Neo Member
BeeDog said:

Yeah awesome races against BeeDog and test_account, sorry for taking you out on a few occasions :) Some close finishes too.

Get Motorstorm1 and MSPR vibes from the new track, still need to learn the layout, especially on the night time track.

For the last weekly challenge -Docklands I think - stay on the inside line, don't go over any jumps and take the right hand side in the ship. I managed to get 01:04 something.

Thrakier

Yamibito said:
Yeah, it took me like 30 times and even then I had no idea how I did that.

Even the medium challenge is fucking hard. The annoying thing is that it's 5:38 so you are racing for more than five minutes just to fail the time for 2 seconds. That sucks.

test_account

XP-39C²
What does that triangle with the "!" mean when you vote for the maps?

Thrakier said:
Was anyone able to do Car Go in 1.05 yet? No idea how to, best time was 1:07,
I managed 1:04:33 today. There seems to be one random factor to the map though. At about 15 second into the race (after you exit that "house"), there are some machine gunners there. Sometimes these fire heavily at you, othertimes they dont. When they dont fire at you, then you have more boost to use.

I'm amazed that the best time is like 57 seconds. I have absolutely no idea how that is possible. Makes me wonder if there is some "hidden"/glitchy path or boost glitch. I've noticed the same on other levels too, like i.e Coach Party. I can not for the life of me get it under 59 second with the Chopper on that track, while the 1st place is like 45 sec or so, i just dont understand how it is possible without glitching.

Thrakier said:
Even the medium challenge is fucking hard. The annoying thing is that it's 5:38 so you are racing for more than five minutes just to fail the time for 2 seconds. That sucks.
True hehe. In one way this is actually harder than the veteran challenge because it has 4 rounds, which means a bigger chance to screw up.

BeeDog

Hell yes, got 01,04;57 on the last challenge earlier today, my heart was racing like mad. Luckily enough I finished the Mudplugger challenge on my second try (after restarting early on).

test_account said:
What does that triangle with the "!" mean when you vote for the maps?

It simply means it's a level with destruction activated.

Flunkie said:
First thing I noticed was that the music, compared to the first two, sucks.

I had a listen to the soundtrack, being composed by Klaus Badelt (Pirates of the Caribbean 1) and all, and was really underwhelmed. When I heard his name attached to it I guess my expectations just went haywire.

Angst

Finally picked this up. I'll be interested in doing some online races down the road and if there's still an active gaf community I'd like to race with you guys.

senahorse

Finally got around to picking this up and upon turning on my ps3 and inserting the disc I was greeted with a ps3 update and 4 title updates, so hopefully I will get to give it a go soon :D.

test_account

XP-39C²
Damn, why have they mixed up "Racing"? :\ Now there are sometimes 1 and 2 lap races and you're only allowed to select specific vehicle classes. The 1-2 lap limit is fine enough, but for someone like me who isnt that good to drive cars in the game (i'm mostly used to bikes), it is not that fun if i cant play with my prefered vehicle classes.

I wish that they rather made a "Racing v2.0" or something for this and kept "Racing" like it was before.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I wish I hadn't broken my finger, I want to race so bad. :(

test_account

XP-39C²
After trying some of the cars, some of them handles pretty good. And i also actually find it fun to drive something different than just the bikes after trying it some times :)

kinoki said:
I wish I hadn't broken my finger, I want to race so bad. :(
:(

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

sun-drop

holy shit the rock is awesome..

was actually about to sell this cause i had finished the story mode and figured it had los something since PR ... but the rock is more along the lines of pacific rift ...i like it!

online mode is pretty cool with the betting system etc

BeeDog

Tizoc said:
? What're you talking about mate?
Is there an update to the game? I didn't get prompted about ti when I ran the game.

Yes, there's an update now, check the first post for some pics of the new stage. What region are you in?

Finally updating today. Wanted to play two nights ago offline, but it prompted to update and I didnt want to make my guest wait, lol. Though offline, Im almost done with the first guys story.

strafer

I have decided to pick this up tomorrow.

Played the first game so much I can't see a desert without the need to play again, since I never tried the second game this will be a breath of fresh air.

kikanny

Strafer said:
I have decided to pick this up tomorrow.

Played the first game so much I can't see a desert without the need to play again, since I never tried the second game this will be a breath of fresh air.
Personally, I think the second game was the best. Much much much better than the first and the third.

Yamibito

kikanny said:
Personally, I think the second game was the best. Much much much better than the first and the third.
As far as single-player goes, yes but the multiplayer is MUCH better in apocalypse.

BeeDog

kikanny said:

I think I still prefer Pacific Rift's stages, but pretty much everything else is better in Apocalypse, ESPECIALLY the multiplayer as Yamibito mentioned. the PR MP was just frustrating with the delevelling (Worst. Idea. Ever.), but here it's just perfect.

Also happy that I finally got my Apocalypse platinum trophy today, woo!

Shearie

Getting this game back tomorrow and I'm excited to finally try the new update; although I'll probably only get one good day of playing it since I'm going to be cracked out on the U3 beta like everyone else.

sun-drop

Yamibito said:
As far as single-player goes, yes but the multiplayer is MUCH better in apocalypse.

yeh totally agree there.

think the story mode in the 3rd game was a TOTAL fail ... i didn't get my "welcome to ...the motorstorm!" opening ..and the shit story comics only served to remove the games replay-ablity for me.

i mean the usual MS format is tracks, rewards, going towards point total based unlocks ...kinda like achivements .. so you don't mind playing a track over.

with apoc ... i got through the story for each char ..and thats it ..i know what happens, didn't matter how well i did it ..the aim was the story. finished, done.

i came 'this' close to selling it

but yeh .... the rock makes me realize how much i prefer the tracks of PR. sick to death of street racers ... and feel they sacrificed the outstanding multipath track design to focus on "oooh wow" track deformation moments ..that while stunning ... get old the moment after they finish.

just stick to what works evo.

The two variants of the Rock are definitely my new favourite tracks, but what the fuck at the in game ads?

Definitely appreciate that it was a free track, but I'd be willing to pay just to get rid of those ads. Totally ruin the great environment design, and I hope it's just a temp thing.

On a more positive note, the 3 new cars are great. Especially the racing car, the thing is gorgeous.

test_account said:
Are those ads real? I thought that they were just made up lol, as a made up sponsor for the track/game =)
Unless it's region specific. I've just started up the game and now the ads have changed, some gaming phone that looks like the PSP GO, and Suremen. Yesterday it was the gaming phone and Lynx. It's embarrassing how blatant it is, there's literally 6 or 7 ads in some parts of the track, and there's not one camera angle in the track preview videos where an ad can't be seen.

I don't usually give a shit about stuff like this, and I actually kind of liked it in Burnout Paradise because it added realism and wasn't intrusive, but this is so forced it's ridiculous.

Edit: can't stay mad when I look at this <3

Surprised more people arent commenting considering the weeklong multiplayer demo.

I never realized the track was just a simple square.
5881983498_4093c74591_z.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
Mechanical Snowman said:
Unless it's region specific. I've just started up the game and now the ads have changed, some gaming phone that looks like the PSP GO, and Suremen. Yesterday it was the gaming phone and Lynx. It's embarrassing how blatant it is, there's literally 6 or 7 ads in some parts of the track, and there's not one camera angle in the track preview videos where an ad can't be seen.

I don't usually give a shit about stuff like this, and I actually kind of liked it in Burnout Paradise because it added realism and wasn't intrusive, but this is so forced it's ridiculous.

Edit: can't stay mad when I look at this <3

http://i.imgur.com/U35tGl.jpg
Ok, i see. This is what i see when i play online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_CS2rc70Gs&feature=player_detailpage#t=75s (not my video).

I only see that big CCE banner (never heard of that company, if it is real) and a bunch of red posters. I have the UK version of the game and i live in Europe (playing on european PSN servers).

I actually think that this is a good way to do it. Give away free DLC tracks with ads enabled, but give the option for people to pay to remove the ads. In this way, everyone get access to the DLC tracks =)

Dedication Through Light said:
Surprised more people arent commenting considering the weeklong multiplayer demo.

I never realized the track was just a simple square.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5200/5881983498_4093c74591_z.jpg
Same here. Saw that pic earlier tonight and never realized that this track was sqare like that :)

leng jai

Steve McQueen said:
The update is nice, but I'm still waiting for a patch to fix the audio.

I want to hear proper engine sounds =(

Unfortunately I think you're waiting for something thats never coming :(

Interstellar

Neo Member
Yep, saw ads for the Xperia play lol and some other shit. Looks like the ads are dynamic and different ones are loaded into the game. Sucks, but can't complain too much when the track is free.

5881983498_4093c74591_z.jpg

^^ Why don't they show these track layouts during the loading screens? better than looking at a blank screen with loading...

test_account said:
I actually think that this is a good way to do it. Give away free DLC tracks with ads enabled, but give the option for people to pay to remove the ads. In this way, everyone get access to the DLC tracks =)
Except that's not how they do it. You can't pay for the track even if you want to. Unless you were offering that as a method they should have used. It's weird that you don't have ads though, since I'm in Europe, too. Perhaps it's just a UK thing.

Interstellar said:
^^ Why don't they show these track layouts during the loading screens? better than looking at a blank screen with loading...
That's pretty cool actually. Is there one for each track? I wish they'd added something like this for the track preview, like the way WipEout shows a 3D view of the track, it would make it a lot easier to remember all the track variations.

Anyway, that Rock video is making me want to fire up the game so off I go.

Interstellar said:
Yep, saw ads for the Xperia play lol and some other shit. Looks like the ads are dynamic and different ones are loaded into the game. Sucks, but can't complain too much when the track is free.
I'm just hoping it's a contractual thing that will expire, and then the ads will turn into ads for in-game manufacturers like Otzuzu and Mirage.

Thrakier

I think the car handling is a bit too forgiving. And because there are so many quite similar vehicles, they all feel kinda samey.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
errr, this game ROCKS!

Just picked this up today as it was on offer in BB, it doesn't exactly feel like classic Motorstorm but nonetheless it's a great racer with some insane tracks, the SKYLINE: Aces High track is absolutely bonkers, I was couldn't laughing at the complete craziness of it when I first played that track, gonna try playing it on my projector when it gets dark with no hud, can't wait, also handling seems good, I'd say overall the vehicles feel easier to control than in MS 1&2, especially the bikes.

BeeDog

Thrakier said:
I think the car handling is a bit too forgiving. And because there are so many quite similar vehicles, they all feel kinda samey.

The more forgiving car handling is a godsend in competitive multiplayer matches. Pacific Rift was infuriating as fuck in this regard, ESPECIALLY when pared together with the awful (de)levelling system. The competitive nature of MotorStorm has never been better than now, in my opinion.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
BeeDog said:
The more forgiving car handling is a godsend in competitive multiplayer matches. Pacific Rift was infuriating as fuck in this regard, ESPECIALLY when pared together with the awful (de)levelling system. The competitive nature of MotorStorm has never been better than now, in my opinion.

The first time I de-leveled was the last time I played online. It was just the opposite of fun.

Top Bottom