• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Move over Top Gun Maverick..welcome Devotion

Javthusiast

Banned
this looks like it could surpass TGM,looks more ambitious
For Real Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Tieno

I said to my wife the other week this probably won't make any money at the box office but if it was now called Top Gun: Devotion it would make hundreds of millions of dollars.
Based on a poster hanging in Maverick's locker. It fleshes out the backstory of said poster!
Top Gun Expanded Universe! GET ON IT HOLLYWOOD!

Spaceman292

Banned
I suppose it would have been hard to film it all with real planes as I presume there's not many of them left. However, the use of CGI just makes it look like on big cut scene.
Yeah there's only a few real WW2 planes left, so doing it real would be impossible. Difficult position.

The closest you could get is what Nolan did in Dunkirk. Two or three real planes that aren't very historically accurate. Still looks better imo.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I said to my wife the other week this probably won't make any money at the box office but if it was now called Top Gun: Devotion it would make hundreds of millions of dollars.
Not gonna lie, using the Top Gun name as a gateway for historic(ish) flight films sounds like a GREAT idea. Fuck, just have Tom Cruise cameo in each one as some Maverick daddy, uncle, grandpa, or 3rd cousin that all look alike :p

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Yeah there's only a few real WW2 planes left, so doing it real would be impossible. Difficult position.

The closest you could get is what Nolan did in Dunkirk. Two or three real planes that aren't very historically accurate. Still looks better imo.
You mean planes that can fly for hours without fuel over a city full of 70s era appartment buildings and 80s barge terminals. Yeah that was not better.

pramod

Banned
Meh, the CGI makes everything looks too clean and neat, which is a problem I have with most modern "war" movies.

War is supposed to be ugly, gritty, dirty, and smelly. You don't get the feel of that from modern war movies that use CGI.

But, maybe using CGI is not the problem, it's just that it's not advanced enough to make us believe it's not CGI. We have a long ways to go.

Last edited:

Razorback

Meh, the CGI makes everything looks too clean and neat, which is a problem I have with most modern "war" movies.

War is supposed to be ugly, gritty, dirty, and smelly. You don't get the feel of that from modern war movies that use CGI.

But, maybe using CGI is not the problem, it's just that it's not advanced enough to make us believe it's not CGI. We have a long ways to go.

It's not about the technology not being advanced. It's that the freedom CGI gives filmmakers makes them go overboard. If they can choose the lighting they will chose the prettiest most perfect lighting they can. They will frame every shot with immaculate precision. They will place the camera in impossible places and make them move in ways no real camera could move.

These things compound and our brains easily detect fakeness. When CGI is done well you don't notice it.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan

MrA

Looks decent, based on a true story. I don't know about calling it "America's forgotten war," but Hollywood usually doesn't care about the Korean War much.

[/URL][/URL]

Literally zero Korean people in the cast for a Korean War movie? A little strange.
Whole movie could take place on the leyte/in the air, which i think was anchored off of Japan most of the war or atleast a lot of it, there were few Korean pilots at the time and the operated out of ground bases and not aircraft carriers

The actual story of the 2 men is pretty epic, amazing pilots and sacrifices.
Wonder if Scott mendelson of forbes won't like it while slobbering over the next Chinese propaganda movie.

Top Bottom