• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movie recommendations for an emotional roller coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh4mike

TLDR: movies like Inception, Interstellar, Cloud Atlas

I just finished watching Cloud Atlas, and when the credits rolled I felt...feelings. Don't want to say I was necessarily emotional, or introspective, but I just felt something. And that was a good feeling. I had trouble articulating this feeling in the thread title, but I went with "emotional roller coaster."

I haven't gotten this from a movie since Interstellar. And before that, all that comes to mind is Inception. Despite seeing hundreds of movies at 40 years old, I have trouble coming up with other immediate examples.

So I ask the wise movie vets of the OT, what other films make you mind/body feel "funny"? I'm not looking for tear jerkers like Grave of the Fireflies, or the simple pleasure of the final act in Iron Giant. Nor the emotional twist of a Sixth Sense, the unique experience watching Fight Club the first versus second time, or Tarantino's amazing set pieces in Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Bastards.

Hrmm, Shawshank likely fits. I certainly felt something during the close of the Last of the Mohicans as well. Perhaps it's about being emotionally invested in the outcome of the characters, and combine that with a swelling score to make magic.

With that long winded rant, I conclude this post by asking for your recommendations. Thank you for taking the time.

Oh yeah, and give Cloud Atlas a shot if you haven't seen it. I put it off for years given it received mixed reviews. A good use of 3 hours of my life.

Cheers.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
...Schindler's List?

Kinda goes tearjerker near the end, but either way, that film shakes you up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

EDIT: Wait maybe I misread...

SilentRob

Snowpiercer and Oldboy could fit your description. The second more than the first, but Snowpiercer is a good way to get accustomed to south korean filmmaking, just in case you're not yet used to it. It's also a pretty great movie on it's own right.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
From my movie collection:
Children of Men
The Impossible
Memento
There Will be Blood

Any of those you have seen? Any sound like what you are looking for?

GamerJM

Banned
I wouldn't really classify Inception, Interstellar, or Cloud Atlas as emotional rollercoasters. Maybe Interstellar.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Hanna.

I guess yoou are going for more of a satisfaction than an emotional roller coaster. Because that would be depressing films like House of Sand and Fog or The Road.

Hatchtag

Banned
I don't know if it counts, but maybe Donnie Darko? I always leave that one with odd feelings.

if you want a tearjerker i'd reccomand singblade. jesus christ i did not feel my age by the end of that movie.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Oh yeah, Melancholia is something you definitely need to check out based on your description

sh4mike

Wow, good recommendations here. While I have seen most, I'd agree that they fit my vague description well. And some new films to see, yay.

Schindler's List - yup.
Eternal Sunshine - absolutely. Need to watch this again.
Truman Show -- yup.
Son of the Mask -- funny.
Inland Empire -- haven't seen it. And it's David Lynch. Exactly what I was hoping for w/ this thread. Thank you.
Snowpiercer - haven't seen it, I will now. Thank you.
There will be Blood -- yup.
Memento -- interesting film.
The Impossible -- haven't seen it. Wasn't overwhelmed by trailer but I will add to the list. Thank you.
Children of Men -- absolutely. Should have had this on my list.
A Scanner Darkly -- trippy, but I think the lack of a moving score dropped it off my radar.
Love Exposure -- lived in JPN for 4 years, really can't take the acting talent. Looks interesting though. =)
Hannah -- I'll add to the list. Thank you.
Donnie Darko - never saw this despite hearing about it for years. On the list -- thank you.
Melancholia -- looks right up my alley. Thank you.

Other films that come to mind -- Magnolia and Sunshine. Boogie Nights in my first viewing was amazing, unfortunately didn't feel the same way when I saw it again years later. But when all the character arcs hit rockbottom at the same point with seamless editing and a daunting score, it hit heavy.

Other stuff below:
Room -- trailer scares me a bit. Two hours about a kid and Mom crying just doesn't sound fun.
Stand by Me - yup.
Sleepers -- new to me. Looks interesting, and what a cast. Thank you.
Super 8 - fun film.

Toothless

For a movie in theaters, I'd recommend Room. Very worthy of seeing on the big screen and although sad at points, there's several scenes that are emotionally breathtaking.

If you don't wanna see it in theaters, definitely redbox it. It's one of the best of 2015.

Hatchtag

Banned
Super 8 is a must see.

It's a good movie, but the ending
basically just leaves you very nostalgic for youth adventures and growing up and stuff.
Kinda the same feelings you get watching
The Goonies or Moonrise Kingdom.
Would reccommend it though, because there aren't enough good movies that give feelings like that. But I don't think it's necessarily the kinda feelings OP is looking for.

Steamlord

Ikiru, Mulholland Dr., The Red Shoes, Modern Times, Ordet, Let the Right One In, The Double Life of Véronique, Lost in Translation

Those are some that wowed me, anyway. You've probably seen at least a couple of them. I'm not sure our tastes really line up but I tried. I could list a dozen more that I consider "emotional roller coasters" but I don't think they'd meet the criteria in your OP.

Xe4

Banned
Aside what's been mentioned, Waltz with Bashir, the whole thing is a crazy emotional roller coaster, and ends with one of the most powerful endings I've ever seen.

sh4mike

Actually found a better way to articulate this -- "movies where, when the credits hit, you sit in your seat, digesting everything that you just saw." That definitely fits Cloud Atlas, Interstellar, and Inception for me. Perhaps that's also more commonly found in the sci-fi genre, which these 3 films share.

Man from Nowhere -- new to me. Thank you.
The Fall -- new to me. Thank you.
Old Boy -- considered adding this to the OP. Definitely fits.
Last Emperor -- interesting choice. Good film.
Big Fish -- absolutely yes.
Ikiru -- good film.
Mulholland Dr -- added to list. Thank you.
Red shoes -- added to list. Thank you.
Modern Times -- interesting and unexpected choice. Haven't seen -- thank you.
Ordet -- clearly I haven't followed the classics. Added to list.
Let the Right One In -- I'm pretty weak when it comes to horror. =/
Double Life of Veronique -- you have diverse taste. =)
Lost in Translation -- good film.
Green Mile -- absolutely yes.
Waltz with Bashir -- looks interesting. Will watch -- thank you.
The Real Spartacus -- good film.

Bed time. Thank you all for sharing. At least 10 solid recommendations to start with.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Gattaca. Starred Up. Memories of Murder. The Prestige. The Departed.

Moonkid

If you've seen Oldboy you have to see Park Chan Wook's previous two films, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and J.S.A. Both leave you thinking and then some.

Requiem for a Dream
The Wrestler

For a certain, particular feeling

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest IMO does a good job at eliciting feelings - perhaps not as powerful as some of the movies you're talking about (at least probably not in the way you're talking), but it's profound in interesting ways.

Very good movies recommended by gafers here, I'm gonna go ahead with some historical themes: Brave Heart, Last of the Mohicans, Apocalypto, The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford, Thin Red Line(best WW2 movie in my opinion), Gangs of New York.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
The Fly (1986)

Jeff Goldblum is so good in this movie. His character definitely runs that emotional gamut that you're looking for throughout the film. Highest of highs and absolute lowest of lows. Still one of my favorite performances of all time.

Very good movies recommended by gafers here, I'm gonna go ahead with some historical themes: Brave Heart, Last of the Mohicans, Apocalypto, The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford, Thin Red Line(best WW2 movie in my opinion), Gangs of New York.

I'll add One flew aver the cuckoo's nest and The Awakening. Forgot about these.

sora87

Requiem for a Dream
Breaking the Waves
Life is Beautiful
The Chaser
Awakenings
Lilya 4-ever
Barefoot Gen
Dead Man's Shoes
Confessions

Kas

Now You See Me plays on all of my emotions in the course of the movie. It's phenomenal and the ending brings me to tears every time.

Afa

A more recent recommendation, Ex Machina, definitely leave you questioning.

Plus a lil overlooked movie, Stranger Than Fiction, Will Ferrell doing drama?? ;D

Blindness had my heart pumping very rapidly in the theater, and it's a drama. No action movie had done that to me....it's a very powerful movie I feel.

Aside what's been mentioned, Waltz with Bashir, the whole thing is a crazy emotional roller coaster, and ends with one of the most powerful endings I've ever seen.
This.
xjPLd4S.gif

Everyone I showed this film to bawled their eyes out. I completely lost it at the finale. Comes out of nowhere. One of my favourite films ever. First half is pop war film with catchy soundtrack, then second half is all downhill starting with the horse memory.
rtuk_feature_bashir_10.jpg

d63RVNJ.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom