• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movie recommendations for an emotional roller coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamz

Titanic

Also, if you like Cloud Atlas you should give the W's TV show on Netflix Sense8 a try. It's similar to CA and I loved it.

5HfrqeK.jpg

Yuuuuuuuuria

Violet_0

Banned
I wouldn't really classify Inception, Interstellar, or Cloud Atlas as emotional rollercoasters. Maybe Interstellar.

yep ...

animation - Pixar movies since they pretty much mastered the craft of making emotional movies (Wall E, Inside Out, Up in particular), How To Train Your Dragon

trying to think of some other movies, but many of them have been mentioned already (like Eternal Sunshine or Big Fish) and a lot of the others make me scratch my head but okay. I'd say Everest could be of interest to, and Shutter Island is remarkably similar to Inception. Oh, Boys Don't Cry and Pan's Labyrinth (one of my absolute favorites) - The Devil's Backbone and The Orphanage if you like that one which is nearly guaranteed

Fluvian

Banned
Someone already beat me to it but Children of Men. God that movies breaks you down and then lifts you right back up at the end. An amazing experience.

Toothless

Room -- trailer scares me a bit. Two hours about a kid and Mom crying just doesn't sound fun.

There's really not much of that. Yeah they cry for a bit in it, but it's more about them overcoming their obstacles and is fairly triumphant despite the dark subject matter. It's an incredible, emotional film.

NeoGiff

I think I know exactly what feeling you mean, OP. Beasts of No Nation certainly evoked that in a number of scenes.

You've already mentioned the end of Last of the Mohicans, which I would also suggest. Apart from those... LOTR? The Imitation Game, while not a perfect film by any means, also pulled those emotional strings for me. Gladiator, too, if you haven't seen it.

There are of course better suggestions than mine, but the ones above are the first ones that came to my head from your description of what you were looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom