• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies and dissapointing sequels

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think Toy Story would have been perfectly fine without 2-4 and left untouched. Most of what surrounds Andy and co. is TMI for my liking.

What are some movies that would have been better off without its sequels?

Fbh

The first sequel was good but Terminator is now a franchise with more bad movies than good ones

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
The Matrix hurt so bad. Kick-Ass and Kingsman sequels come to mind for compeletely destroying any fondness I had for the first films.

Skyn3t

Banned
Kickboxer - a cult classic from the 80s.
Kickboxer 2 - 4/10 sequel from the 90s without Van Damme.

Last edited:
I just watched the latest Jurassic World. It made the first reboot movie look a lot better in comparison, I'll say that for it. Watched the original series sequel recently, and that was much better than I expected. Still not great. Could have done without that 4th act.

The latest Jurassic World did make a good pitch meeting video, though:

Last edited:

squallheart

Every new DC film. I'm also pretty sure I'm not gonna like captain marvel. Watchmen.... ugh that was a chore to get through.

EBE

Because it just got another sequel, Halloween. That first film is a masterpiece. The rest can go in the trash.

Kadayi

Banned
The matrix

^This.

Found this which does a good job of looking into the sequels and the philosophical aspects of what the Wachowski's were aiming for in terms of intent: -

However, despite the ambition, I'd say they're more style over substance and I think as the series went on, the whole everyone wearing sunglasses all the time thing started to feel like Wachowski's never got over this Corey Hart song: -

The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

I never hated it, but it's certainly not nearly as good as Jurassic Park.

However if you can get on the movie's wavelength and understand that it's not even trying to be the same type of movie as the first, it's a lot of fun.

It's all comes down to the San Diego ending though, there's no getting around the fact that it was a bad idea, the book doesn't end that way, the finale was originally going to take place in an abandoned town and laboratory, much like the book, while this wouldn't have been as "unexpected" it would have made for a more logical ending and the movie probably would have gotten a warmer reception at the time.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Ultra controversial opinion here.
I love Alien, and I couldn't give two shits about any of its sequels or prequels. I've tried rewatching Aliens over and over again to see if I'll change my mind on it, but I just can't. The only worthy sequel was Alien: Isolation. The Prometheus series is total lmao.
Props to anyone who's been able to enjoy the sequels though. But not the prequels. You gotta be pretty daft to appreciate those.

Skyr

Every Terminator movie after 2.
I will go in with the lowest of the low expectations into T6 but I still fear I will be disappointed.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Controversial opinion: the first Transformers movie was a good, albeit simple, special effects blockbuster. It gets unfairly lumped into the rest of the franchise these days. There was a simple story with heart in the first film, and then things just... went awry. Revenge of the Fallen was extremely disappointing, because of how enjoyable the first film actually was. Each sequel feels like its attempting to out do the one before in a race to the bottom, as if Michael Bay is trying to make a movie so bad he's free from the franchise forever. It's a shame, given the promise of the first film.

Last edited:
I think Toy Story would have been perfectly fine without 2-4 and left untouched. Most of what surrounds Andy and co. is TMI for my liking.

What are some movies that would have been better off without its sequels?

yeah the first toy story is great. the rest are fucking trash. same goes for the matrix but with the matrix while the sequels arent good i get what they tried to do with it and i did appreciate the story like in the way if it was done right would have been dope. it just wasnt pulled off

God Enel

There a several movies that had disappointing sequels.
I agree with the guy mentioning alien.
The first Mortal kombat was great.
The boondock saints first movie is a dream.
The pirates of the carribean first flick created an awesome world and while 2 and 3 are watchable imho they are still an utter disappointment. 4-5 are absolute dog shit.

Mortal Kombat. First one was the best video game adaptation movie ever. This scene where sub zero and scorpion enters boat still give me chills:

Still thinking sometimes I'm gonna get a tattoo of this sub-zero from the movie. These costumes looks way more badass than in any mk video game imo.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

The Terminator franchise has been a real disappointment since Cameron left. I only consider the first two canon, the rest is just crap that messes with the lore and themes. I don´t think T6 will be any good either, despite Cameron on board as producer, and Linda Hamilton back as Connor.

The Matrix is also a disappointment, although I gotta admit that Reloaded has some of the best action scenes ever put to film. The Burly Brawl and Chateau fight are so well coreographed and insane it borders on ridiculous, yet they are so awesome. And the higway chase scene, man I will never forget when I saw that at the cinema, it was so exhilarating that I almost pissed my pants in excitement. So give Reloaded a pass. But Revolution was complete garbage, I agree on that.

Another franchise that went off the rails quick is The Crow. The first one with Brandon Lee was so fucking good. Dark and moody, with a lot of heart and style, it captured the feel of a live comic book like no other had done before. Then came the sequels who sucked big time. I was very hyped with City of Angels but what a let down. The new guy didn´t have the same screen presence as Brandon and the film lacked the edgy and slick directorial style of Alex Proyas.

brian0057

Banned
I will always contend that anything after Alien (1979) isn't worth a damn.

Aliens is mediocre action movie following a sci-fi horror masterpiece. It takes itself way too seriously while being no better than Commando (a much better action film).

Alien 3 had some good ideas but a botched execution. The Assembly Cut is a lot better

I like Alien Resurrection in a "so bad it's good" kind of way.

I haven's seen Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, and from what I've seen from them, I don't plan to.

P.S. EDIT: Alien: Isolation is the only true sequel to the Ridley Scott classic.

Last edited:

Domisto

Monsters was an offbeat movie that really hit the spot and had a great atmosphere. Was hyped for a sequel (Dark Continent) and it turned out total arse. I mean rarely does a franchise go so quickly so far off the rails and up it's own back cavity with such a load of preachy boring crap. ffs

Last edited:

120v

i'll second Toy Story. thing is the sequels weren't even bad, arguably better maybe. but it was a fun and simple little movie that didn't need to become a sprawling epic

Law212

Neo Member
The Crow. A very flawed masterpiece and i think the sequel could have been as well if the studio didnt interfere and cut it to hell. Then the straight to dvd sequels....ugh

Vlaphor

I honestly go back and forth on whether Crank 2 is a good sequel. The tone maybe feels a bit too wacky for me (Crank one had enough of a realistic tone that all the weird stuff felt weirder in a good way), but I still really like what it puts out as a movie.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The concept isn't really good for a franchise and attempts at sequels and such have only lead to crappy retreads or a generic slasher and torture versions. Part 2 at least realized this enough to shift it into a black comedy and tried to end the story outright but it still doesn't really work. Best left as a one-off.

pramod

Banned
Halloween(should have ended at 2)
The Thing
Predator

Almost every other sequel of classic 80's movies should be in this list, actually.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Indiana Jones 4 was probably the most disappointed I ever was from a sequel. What a garbage movie.

Matrix Reloaded also hit hard. They should never have made a sequel.

MilkyJoe

Ultra controversial opinion here.
I love Alien, and I couldn't give two shits about any of its sequels or prequels. I've tried rewatching Aliens over and over again to see if I'll change my mind on it, but I just can't. The only worthy sequel was Alien: Isolation. The Prometheus series is total lmao.
Props to anyone who's been able to enjoy the sequels though. But not the prequels. You gotta be pretty daft to appreciate those.

giphy.webp

Halloween - should have ended with him gone in the first one.
Tremors
The Matrix
T2
Ghostbusters
Jaws
Kick Ass
Predator
Jurassic Park
Gremlins

Honorary mention for Disney Star Wars

Last edited:

Ichabod

Banned
The Crow. A very flawed masterpiece and i think the sequel could have been as well if the studio didnt interfere and cut it to hell. Then the straight to dvd sequels....ugh

Agreed. I'm really hoping the upcoming remake does the source material justice.

As an aside, The Crow Salvation's soundtrack had some real bangers on it.

Airola

Here's one:

Boogeyman 2 (sequel of the 80's movie and not the 2005 one).
Over half of the movie is a flashback from the first movie.

Later the director made Boogeyman 2 Redux (a director's cut of sorts). This one has even more material from the first movie and removes some of the original stuff from the initial release of the sequel, and adds a narration going through the whole movie. Not only that but some of the material runs on fast forward and there are some weird still shots of the movies and I recall even some behind the scenes photographs and the rest of the movie the director has shot himself sitting in front of a white wall being interrogated by the police about the murders that happened in the movie, shot on video with a basic camcorder.

This one goes so hard into the bullshit sequel territory that it's actually pretty enjoyable to watch.

Would actually love to see a modern movie treated this way. Imagine having a Jurassic Park sequel that's mostly material from the original with some added camcorder footage of Spielberg being accused of killing the people on the island.

Azurro

Banned
The Matrix hurt so bad. Kick-Ass and Kingsman sequels come to mind for compeletely destroying any fondness I had for the first films.

Yup, Kick Ass 2 was disappointing, but I still had some fun watching it. Kingsman 2 was one of the biggest disappointments I can remember, nothing about it was good or in keeping up with the spirit of the previous movie.

Killed off most of the British charm by spending most of the movie in the United States with American characters, they destroyed Colin Firth's character by bringing him back from the dead in the most stupid way and making him a useless version of his former self.

The special effects were horrid, PS3 level CGI, the ....tracking implant scene was the worst. Really, one of the few movies I actually walked out on. I think the director just said "fuck it, anything goes".

Law212

Neo Member
I was so dissappointed in kingsmen 2 as well. The first one was so awesome and then watching the sequel made me sad

Sicario 2. I was baffled when it was originally greenlit since there was absolutely nothing about the original that said "lets make a sequel". I wouldn´t say it was a straight up terrible movie but just... why? The movie just feels like it has no reason to exist, expanding on characters and story that didn´t need any expanding on and trying to ride the same highs as the original while having very little of substance and some totally out of place cheesy hollywood bullshit (the bit with the sign language made me roll my eyes to another continent).

And they´re supposedly making a part 3? I honestly cannot think of a weirder film to turn into a franchise. The original is fucking radical by the way and anyone who hasn´t seen it should do so asap.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

I never hated it, but it's certainly not nearly as good as Jurassic Park.

JP was a landmark film, the kind of movie you dream about before going to sleep. everything bout it was amazing, the sets, the design, the music, the script, the actors, everything was perfect. there's just no way to top that, or even match it. lightning in a bottle, as they say.

JP2 definitely felt like a huge step back. i saw it in the theater when it came out and was made quite bored by it until the ending. that ending tho single-handedly saved the movie for me. as ridiculous as it was, i realized that ridiculous was what i wanted, that a b-movie style monster movie was what they should have gone with all along. for me the actual logistics of the park itself was never the attraction, it was all about seeing the dinos run amok, and the ending is the purest distillation of that madness. the whole time they are on the island is just "well yeah they are on the island" but once they escape and get to mainland, it feels like anything can happen.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the Matrix 2nd movie i thought was as enjoyable as the first, if not nearly as brain-bending. the 3rd was total trash though, shot too dark, too much CGI combat scenes, the Matrix mythos itself sort of peetering out and entirely losing the tight focus of the 1st film. lots of new characters were introduced, so you were watching characters you didn't care about fighting hard to see monsters for... some reason?

the prequel to the Matrix, the Animatrix, was really well done, imo better than the two sequels.

Last edited:
The Matrix is a good example, though I really liked all the scenes with the ghost brothers in the sequel. I liked the conversation about choice vs cause and effect too.

Top Bottom