• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies and dissapointing sequels

Kadayi

Banned
Sicario 2. I was baffled when it was originally greenlit since there was absolutely nothing about the original that said "lets make a sequel". I wouldn´t say it was a straight up terrible movie but just... why? The movie just feels like it has no reason to exist, expanding on characters and story that didn´t need any expanding on and trying to ride the same highs as the original while having very little of substance and some totally out of place cheesy hollywood bullshit (the bit with the sign language made me roll my eyes to another continent).

And they´re supposedly making a part 3? I honestly cannot think of a weirder film to turn into a franchise. The original is fucking radical by the way and anyone who hasn´t seen it should do so asap.

I think in large part a lot depends on what happens with the planned 3rd part really. From the Box Office perspective, the film did comparable business to the original (albeit a slight drop in terms on the international front) however I suspect that the real revenue stream for it, much like its predecessor lies in Blu-ray/DVD sales and Streaming returns, so I think we'll likely see it happen down the road.

I wouldn't out and out say it was terrible because it's not operating in the realm of what I'd class as a traditional narrative, but its purpose was very much to act as a turning point for the relationship between the characters. There are definitely some moments I didn't care for (the final scene was kind of jarring because of those bloody awful fake tattoos for instance) but in principle, I didn't think it was terrible and I quite liked the detached nature of the violence that was very much in keeping with the original. IIRC the sign language thing was something Del Toro suggested as a means to allow Isabel to begin to figure out who he was.

I'm not saying it's not bad. I just think we need to see it in the context of the broader story that has yet to unfold.

Last edited:

Z..

I think Toy Story would have been perfectly fine without 2-4 and left untouched. Most of what surrounds Andy and co. is TMI for my liking.

What are some movies that would have been better off without its sequels?

Bad example. Toy Story 2 is widely considered one of the best sequels ever, man.

Z..

It’s a sequel I could do without imho
I actually prefer 2 over 1, personally. It's an infinitesimaly small difference, but it wins out. I get what you mean about it not being necessary but it's not forced or uncalled for, either... If they were to announce an Iron Giant 2, I'd be quite pissed but with Toy Story I felt the expansion of the mythos was both natural and well executed. Same for 3, though I do worry about #4, 3 felt like an adequate coda.

kunonabi

My personal answer has to be The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I finally got a good Spider-Man movie and they just burned the whole thing to the ground in record time. I was concerned to begin with since Orci and Kurtzman were involved and they were advertising all these villains with awful designs and casting but I thought maybe it could still be ok. I went to the movie with a friend of mine and he said he could just see the life drain from my face. It was just so much worse than I ever could have imagined. I've gone back to it since and while the movie from the heist sequence through the Time Square battle is actually fairly solid aside from Zimmer's "score" and the awful villain casting there is still no excusing what comes after.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I actually prefer 2 over 1, personally. It's an infinitesimaly small difference, but it wins out. I get what you mean about it not being necessary but it's not forced or uncalled for, either... If they were to announce an Iron Giant 2, I'd be quite pissed but with Toy Story I felt the expansion of the mythos was both natural and well executed. Same for 3, though I do worry about #4, 3 felt like an adequate coda.
2 at least introduced Zerg I’ll give it that

The Hangover series...what started off as a silly fun film turned into an over the top, joyless series. Sigh!

The second movie is one of the most miserable sequel clones I have ever seen. It's like if "Home Alone 2" had Kevin get molested in the hotel, and then go crazy and go full Saw on the bandits. That was a depressing, joyless movie.

The third one is kind of interesting, but not really all that funny.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Blade.

Blade 1. Low budget, cheesy effects, but awesome

Blade 2. Ok.

Blade 3. WTF? Wesley Snipes is hardly in it and these sidekick characters take over and turn the movie into one-liner jokes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People bringing Matrix, good call.

Matrix 1 = awesome.

Sequels. WTF? All I remember is machine guns, robot mechs and the movies turning into one big shoot em up video game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't get how every Predator sequel (including Aliens vs Pred) can be SO BAD. It's not like the original had Academy Award dialogue. The effects were lousy too. But somehow the total package was a great movie.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Blade 3. WTF? Wesley Snipes is hardly in it and these sidekick characters take over and turn the movie into one-liner jokes.

Don't forget the real cringe 'iPod' product placement bit in the film also: -

I think the director denied it was bought and paid for and just said he really liked the Ipod is all.....

Ecto311

My kid tried to tell me there is a 3rd turtles movie where they get teleported into old times and humans come to turtle time. I guess there are tons of lies on youtube at this point. There are 2 tmnt movies from the 80s. Dunno wtf kind of Mandela effect shit is happening but it's terrifying.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i remember seeing Ghostbusters 2 in the theater when it came out and kind of realizing it was going to be not as good as the first movie early on. when they go to the kid's birthday party and they are all "He-Man! He-Man!" i remember thinking at the time that it was an out of date joke, thus the scenes of the Ghostbusters being old and obsolete was even more cringey. next trouble scene for me was when they were doing comedy with a baby. i still love the movie, but it's a far cry from the first. it's nowhere near as cool.

Liljagare

The Mummy 3 - Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. This whole series had a really good thing going for a time..then they screwed up by making "The Scorpion King" (which had some of the worst special effects ever for such a big-budget film). Then they released this crap featuring a new actress for the mom, a grown up son, and Brendon Fraser, who never aged throughout the series. Although I love Brendon Fraser films and him as an actor on the whole, even his whole happy-go-lucky additude throughout the film couldn't have saved it.

The odd thing is that I wish they had made another one featuring him. The whole franchise was on the way towards Indiana Jones greatness.

Last edited:

pel1300

I will always contend that anything after Alien (1979) isn't worth a damn.

Aliens is mediocre action movie following a sci-fi horror masterpiece. It takes itself way too seriously while being no better than Commando (a much better action film).

Alien 3 had some good ideas but a botched execution. The Assembly Cut is a lot better

I like Alien Resurrection in a "so bad it's good" kind of way.

I haven's seen Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, and from what I've seen from them, I don't plan to.

P.S. EDIT: Alien: Isolation is the only true sequel to the Ridley Scott classic.

I thought I was the only one who liked Alien Resurrection for being so bad it's good.

Top Bottom