• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies that benefitted from their soundtrack

Had a back and forth woyh someone about Top Gun over golf (yes. Not volleyball). I feel this movie benefited big time from their soundtrack. Stuff like Danger Zone, Take my breath away is pretty much synonymous with this movie.

What movies come to mind that are popular largely due to their soundtrack?

dead-presidents-poster.jpg

2001: A Space Odyssey i believe benefits from its soundtrack more than any other film, but it doesn't quite fit your criteria. Still, first thing that came to mind!

ascii42

Star Wars and Lord of the Rings have plenty of other things going for them, but the soundtracks are certainly a major part of those movies.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Star Wars, the only good thing about it is the soundtrack and the soundtrack is magnificient.

Also, Jurassic Park, the main theme is incredibly strong and gives the first half of the movie an outstanding atmosphere.

for a lot of these films, it's a smart combination between visuals and audio that leaves an impression, not simply a song or score slapped something uninteresting. It's usually carefully thought out if a filmmaker has any kind of vision. (Hell, even Top Gun is very smart about it. Tony Scott certainly had his unique gifts)

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Every great movie benefits from their soundtrack... You can't have one without the other.

Field of Dreams
The Shawshank Redemption
and
Road to Perdition

benefit a ton from their subtle uses of score and composition. Bombastic scores like those from Inception and the Dark Knight do the same in the opposite way. :)

I took OP meant movies that was elevated due to their soundtrack and would otherwise be trash if you removed it.

Can you really separate the soundtrack from even a classic like Blade Runner though? I feel like if they didn't also nail that aspect, the score and ambiance, it would fall flat, regardless of the visuals. I would say the same about another sci-fi flick, Gattaca.

Top Bottom