• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately [OT] - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I may check it out, you seem to have good judgement.

The tailor is British living in Chicago... He has an apprentice/secretary... That's all I can say. The twist had me like "I did not see that coming"... Set in, I think, the 1950s. I only saw it once. I want to see it again.

zNZTKcE.jpg

Spider-Man Across The Spider-Verse: C

I really really tried to like it. But I just thought the movie was ok. I loved the first Spider-Verse movie though

GeekyDad

Just got about 33 minutes into Lansky. That's enough of that. Not a terrible movie (definitely not great either), but definitely a terrible story about a horrible piece of shit. May he rot in fucking hell.

Andyliini

Red Sonja

The second time watching this (it has been 10 years since the last) did not make this film any better. It looks cheap, the acting is amateurish, it has annoying kid character and stupid dialogue. No wonder it did mot make much money back then.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Gran Torino (again). Not sure why I love this movie. It's not great, but it feels so...true.

2grantorino460.jpg

I only watched it twice ... It was too sad for me. Great movie but... The girl's cousin and what happened to her and the ending...

He found acceptance and love and newfound family through her and the Hmong community and ... I'm crying now thinking about it!

It's his best movie to date, tied with Unforgiven... IMO

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I love this movie too

Million Dollar Baby is the best movie he directed though
I love ya NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt but I gotta go with Unforgiven.
In fact you indirectly made me want to watch it again 😄

I just came back from Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1.

First time in a theatre in 4 years!
What I missed the most from the theatre experience was the sound & music. I didn't realize I missed movie popcorn so much.

The movie was good, they had a train sequence which reminded me of Uncharted 2's beginning.

Since Tom Cruise is doing most of his stunts I liked how the cameras were close to him during the action bits sorta like saying "Look folks this is Tom Cruise!!!! Not a black stuntwoman wearing a white helmet!!" 😆

I'll be going out more from now on for movies it's fun.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I love ya NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt but I gotta go with Unforgiven.

What I missed the most from the theatre experience was the sound & music. I didn't realize I missed movie popcorn so much.

The movie was good, they had a train sequence which reminded me of Uncharted 2's beginning.

Since Tom Cruise is doing most of his stunts I liked how the cameras were close to him during the action bits sorta like saying "Look folks this is Tom Cruise!!!! Not a black stuntwoman wearing a white helmet!!" 😆

It's interesting you said "not a black stunt woman with a white helmet" as they use women stunt workers for men who are of a certain height.

Last edited:

Viz108

Neo Member
Watched Minority Report on a whim recently (guess Top Gun and MI has me on a Tom Cruise kick). Really, really enjoyed it, really interesting premise that they explore well. It's a shame that there aren't a lot of unique sci fi movies like that being made nowadays.

I haven't watched Unforgiven yet

It's on my to watch list though

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
It's interesting you said "not a black stunt woman with a white helmet" as they use women stunt workers for men who are of a certain height.
I wrote that out of the blue as it reminded me of that demolition derby movie with Jamie Lee Curtis called "Grandview, USA" (I admit I searched on IMDB) which I saw in the theatres back then and you could clearly see sometimes a gruff bearded dude with a helmet in the car instead of Jaime 😆

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Watched Minority Report on a whim recently (guess Top Gun and MI has me on a Tom Cruise kick). Really, really enjoyed it, really interesting premise that they explore well. It's a shame that there aren't a lot of unique sci fi movies like that being made nowadays.

Go watch Edge of Tomorrow if you haven't seen that one yet. It's one of his best.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Marathon Man (1976) - Director John Schlesinger, screenplay William Goldman, starring Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier

Throws you into events while telling you very little, and takes its time developing its characters, turning into a memorable thriller that ratchets tension consistently. '70s NYC with striking cinematography, strong cast. Enjoyed this one a lot. Best to go in without knowing much (and let the wacky opening scene slide).

A Bridge Too Far (1977) - Director Richard Attenborough, screenplay William Goldman, starring literally everyone in Hollywood

Been meaning to watch this one for a long time, but it was a struggle to get through. Dry, dull, aloof telling of Operation Market Garden. Attenborough shoots the action scenes like he's recording a military reenactment event or trying to replicate newsreel WW2 footage (doubly so with the score, straight out of a Pathe video). While it's impressive given the scale of events, it's all so unengaging. We don't really follow anyone, no storytelling, it's more like a series of vignettes, each with some Hollywood superstar. The film tries to get its money's worth with each one so the camera lingers and they have some boisterous hero moment where James Caan or Robert Redford or Sean Connery save the day, then onto the next one. Very much at odds with how the rest is presented. Watch a war documentary instead. Thumbs down.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Atomic Blonde (2017) - Director David Leitch, screenplay Kurt Johnstad, starring Charlize Theron, James McAvoy

Thought I was going to really like this one during the first 15 minutes, what with the stylized 1989 Berlin setting and David Leitch directing, but it's basically a two hour long Charlize Theron Dior commercial, a hollow vanity project. Each scene mostly involves 5 minute closeup of Charlize's face and Charlize posing in dim neon lighting with cool '80s music playing diagetically. Then we have the barest of excuses for a fight scene where Charlize does her own choreography and stunts, badly, presumably so she can tell everyone she did her own stunts. Charlize is a boring, emotionless heroine who speaks in extreme vocal fry, this weird kind of role where it feels like a woman's misguided idea of what makes for a cool male protagonist, resulting in a sociopathic robot. It's paired with an unengaging paint-by-numbers screenplay that moves from scene to scene with double crosses and "surprises" that immediately become rote. James McAvoy and Sofia Boutella do their best to inject charisma into their scenes - Boutella is far more likable than Charlize here -- but Charlize is the protagonist, unfortunately. Charlize can't fight and needs to pause awkwardly while waiting for the bad guys' physical cues between each of her moves in the long takes. The "single take" action scene is full of (obvious) hidden cuts, too, which is lame. She has some fun moments with environmental weapons, but then needs to have her hand to hand battles, which just look comical -- a middle aged lady with a runway model physique dealing out body punches to 220 lb guys where they pretend to notice -- and she's often sped up heavily in post to try to sell it. If she hadn't produced the film I can't imagine this would've all passed. They would've brought in a Zoe Bell type badass stuntwoman to shape up the action. Instead we get Wish.com John Wick in a lame story about spies casually double crossing each other over and over again. Thumbs down, but probably good to have on the TV in the background thanks to the soundtrack and neon.

Fbh

N7WYMQTGPFCX5EWVBVWXJEHO24.jpg

7/10.

Really enjoyed it. Reminded me how this version of Miles is instantly so much more likeable than the Insomniac one (not having the most annoying voice ever helps).
Based on the trailers I feared the plot would focus too much on cameos on memes but I actually found it really compelling though I think in almost 2 and a half hours they could told a compelling story instead of ending on a cliffhanger.
The one negative is that I think it's a bit too stylized. Found some sequences hard to follow when they throw multiple characters in different art styles + crazy "camera" work + everything keeps flashing and changing colors every 2 seconds + chromatic aberration set to 11.
Some scenes are like
strobe-lights-flashing-lights-fltp0ctwaov2p6vn.gif

Last edited:

CGNoire

Marathon Man (1976) - Director John Schlesinger, screenplay William Goldman, starring Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier

Throws you into events while telling you very little, and takes its time developing its characters, turning into a memorable thriller that ratchets tension consistently. '70s NYC with striking cinematography, strong cast. Enjoyed this one a lot. Best to go in without knowing much (and let the wacky opening scene slide).

A Bridge Too Far (1977) - Director Richard Attenborough, screenplay William Goldman, starring literally everyone in Hollywood

Been meaning to watch this one for a long time, but it was a struggle to get through. Dry, dull, aloof telling of Operation Market Garden. Attenborough shoots the action scenes like he's recording a military reenactment event or trying to replicate newsreel WW2 footage (doubly so with the score, straight out of a Pathe video). While it's impressive given the scale of events, it's all so unengaging. We don't really follow anyone, no storytelling, it's more like a series of vignettes, each with some Hollywood superstar. The film tries to get its money's worth with each one so the camera lingers and they have some boisterous hero moment where James Caan or Robert Redford or Sean Connery save the day, then onto the next one. Very much at odds with how the rest is presented. Watch a war documentary instead. Thumbs down.
Love Marathon Man.

Dat scene where Olivier is walking down the street and is confronted by groups of Holocaust Survivors.

Andyliini

Raw Deal

Continuing from Commando, Arnold Schwarzenegger returns as an armed to the teeth macho man, who puts the bad guys in their place with bullets and fists. The director of Commando said on the commentary track, that the original script was very dull and serious, so they added a lot of humour in. I guess Raw Deal is what Commando would have been without rewrites, as this is as basic 80's action as it gets. The story follows repititous patters, and offers nothing new or interesting. Even so, it's difficult to follow and keeps jumping from place to place without anything to hook those scenes together. I can't recommend this one, as there are many better alternatives on the market.

Also, it looks like my disc is faulty, as right before the end, all the sound gets cut off, and then during the credits even the image becomes pixelated. I can't see this being very important release for the publisher.

Toons

I watched this a long while ago, but if anyone hasn't seen the Japanese film Drive My Car, its a heart wrenching and intimate masterpiece that looks into grief and regret. Its long but I was captivated the entire time. The lead actor delivers a fantastic subtle performance .

Doom85

Oh also, I noticed it's coming to amazon prime in a week or 2. So, if you're on prime, give it that long and save the 10 bucks.

Jason Bateman GIF by MOODMAN

Well, I already put the Blu-Ray on my birthday list, but that’s fine, it’s a movie I definitely want in my collection.

Yerd

Not a necessary sequel but Don't Breathe 2 on Netflix.

Home Alone for adults 😁
I've been wanting to watch both of these for a long time, but they aren't on any of the services I pay for. Including netflix.

What country are you in?

I guess I have to get a vpn.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Love Marathon Man.

Dat scene where Olivier is walking down the street and is confronted by groups of Holocaust Survivors.
Yeah. Enough time passed for people to rebuild, but there still were concentration camp tattoos on survivors’ arms all over in the ‘70s. Wasn’t that long ago.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
RRR (2022)

The single biggest cinematic bromance since Frodo and Sam. A wildly over the top morality tale of friendship and freedom played earnestly, featuring the world’s most heroic bro on bro piggyback ride. No kissing the ladies allowed, though!

Lots of fun, thumbs up. RIP Ray Stevenson.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The kids came over tonight, and we watched Insidious: The Red Door.

It was a fun movie but didn't really have the same soul as the first one. Why did they keep this series alive for so long? A couple of good jump scares and a somewhat interesting plot. The roommate side character really stole the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom