• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| April 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meliorism

Can't remember if I ever posted about these or not.

Contempt
Kinda dull, to be honest; somewhat of a letdown from Breathless, which I really liked (and is the only other Godard I've seen). A lot of conversations that went in circles, were ultimately about nothing, and didn't dig deep enough in the characters' psychologies for me to be worth it -- you could probably say something similar about Breathless, but that film was at least lively and fun to watch. This was a bit of a slog, and I was frankly more interested in Fritz Lang's fake Odyssey adaptation than the actual story here. Does Jack Palance ever not play a weirdo?

You're kinda dull tbh.

It Happened One Night
Pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen Clark Gable in something, and yes he's charming. I was surprised how engaged I was in the plot here, I was actually frustrated by all the misunderstandings toward the end and kept rooting for things to work out -- cliched maybe, but since this film probably invented some of those cliches, maybe not. My only complaint was that the movie was so fucking dark. Maybe it's a problem of 1930s lighting, or maybe the print quality was just bad, but I had a hard time actually seeing what was on screen a lot.

I'm sure it's the print quality. I had the same issue. The Criterion version is a lot clearer. Beautiful.

A Most Violent Year

I liked it decently enough. Maybe it was the mix of digital cinematography, period setting, and the use of tension that gave me Fincher vibes.

Nuke Soda

I forgot to mention how the two movies I watched in two days began the exact same, kind of a weird coincidence.

Enemy at the Gates began with a young kid being told to shoot a wolf and Lawless began with a kid being told to shoot a pig, both unable to do it.

big ander

Past week.

As I said, thought Furious 7 was a step down but still good fun. 8 needs to be less frantic, have pockets of planning. That's what makes heist/adventure great.
I have four aunts and a lot of Margot at the Wedding felt bonafide. Like that Black wasn't a comic actor going all serious in an indie dramedy, he was just clowny and funny. Made his character work better. Nearly as quotable as Baumbach's great early features.
Another great Ulmer in Bluebeard, which perhaps isn't an enveloping inescapable whirlpool of fantastic darkness like Detour but Ulmer's certainly making some fine machinery from spare parts, and multiplying Faust and Bluebeard to synthesize some new legend pays off. score is awful.
Doubled The Battle of San Pietro and Let There Be Light, two John Huston WW2 docs. (the latter a huge inspiration for The Master.) seemed to make sense given it's about 90 minutes total, with one covering one battle and one the PTSD wracking returning soldiers just after the war. As depressing as that sounds, San Pietro is just as bleak. plenty of the footage is recreation yet it shocks regardless, and the general message is that what the Allied forces are doing is painful, costly, doesn't even benefit those who actually live in these towns, and will never end. Let There Be Light is more genuine, and the spots where it's clearly staged undermine the sunnier disposition those scenes attempt to whip up. After an hour of men physically and mentally broken, 5 minutes of orchestrated happiness during a baseball game can't eradicate the feeling that these men will never be whole again, and that their fragility will trickle out into the rest of the nation.
(btw both of those Huston docs and Bluebeard are on youtube, for the curious.)
And tonight I went to a double of A Fuller Life, a documentary on Sam Fuller from daughter Samantha Fuller, along with the second ever showing of the restored director's cut of Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street. A Fuller Life isn't a conventional great man doc. directors and actors—including an inappropriate James Franco—reading selections from Fuller's autobiography over clips from his films, archival photos and personal film, and miscellaneous media. this path is better at bringing the man back to life for 80 minutes than hagiography would be. A lot of the footage is cool, and everything's filmed in the Fuller garage stuffed with books and maps and script binders and film canisters and pins and newspapers—Wes Anderson level of object fetishization. Dead Pigeon I went pretty long on in that link. The bullets: made for W. German TV, nonsensical and (purposefully?) dull, not funny, wife Christa is a terrible actress, cheap as hell which means Fuller gets creative when it comes to the camera and gets shit when it comes to sound, the score by Can is basically reworked elements of "Vitamin C"/Ege Bamyasi in general.

planned to triple with a midnight of Four Flies on Grey Velvet, which would've been my first Argento and was in a 35mm print, but I was starving and tired after spending four and a half hours in the theater for that Fuller thing and the large crowd for the midnight had far too much energy.

hal9001

Banned
Fast and Furious 4
Decent but ultimately boring attempt to bring back the franchise. The final sequence through the tunnels was great though.

Fast and Furious 5
Wow. Dumb but has alot of heart packed with absolutely fun action. It really is all just about family. I love the Oceans Eleven heist dynamic and the cast is perfect. The Rock is awesome and the bank safe heist was amazing. Best in the series.

Fast and Furious 6
Another amazing entry. The doppelgänger crew and the elevated action makes it another fun ride. The tank and the plane climax are a joy to behold for action lovers. Felt bad for Han and Gisele though, I really enjoyed their relationship.

Fast and Furious 7
It was fun but felt a bit too much on the cgi side. All notions of grounded reality are gone and it becomes a full on live action Wacky races esq cartoon. Slightly disappointing as some of the main crew from previous films are missing (including the Rock for most of the time). I felt their whole dynamic that made the two previous films enjoyable for me was missing here. The ending was slightly over cooked as well. James Wan makes a good attempt to mimic Justin Li style but doesn't reach the same heights.

5 > 6 > 1 > 7 > 2 > 4 > 3

G-Fex

X-men: Days of Future Past : I don't know how to feel, I'm conflicted. It's alright I guess.

Bunraku : I always wanted to see this movie cause it has Gackt in it. It is this weird ..I don't know how to describe, stylish I guess? I kinda liked it though.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
bought myself The rules of the game, I am so glad they're finally releasing Renoir's filmography in hi-def. couldn't resist and watched it once i got home, what a masterpiece. Such levity, elegance, humour, but not a single ounce of cynicism. Renoir seems to take us in front of a mirror, make us realize we're all defective, and instead of belittling us, he smiles with us. Superb, smooth camera work with impressive use of depth of field that enhances the theatrical setting, as if life was nothing but a play, and corroborates the feeling of inevitable doom in a particular world, thus mirroring our own. but there's no arrogance in his vision, nor pedantic lectures, it's "only" a perfectly made movie that works on multiple levels, even with no messages underneath if you decide to ignore them, and this is what a classic should be

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Repulsion.jpg

Damn. Polanski's Repulsion has got me all shook up. It might be my favorite of his films that I've seen, and easily one of the most unsettling horror films I've ever seen.
It reminded me a bit of The Haunting, another fantastically scary (and stunningly shot) psychological horror film from the 60's. Also, it's clear Darren Arronofsky is really, considering its influence can be felt all over a bunch of his movies.

The gradual descent into madness is realized so, so, well. There are all sorts of visual ques, from the mundane (strangely unsettling close ups on ordinary objects) to the macabre like the disgusting rotting rabbit that decays as the film goes on. It just makes you feel all itchy and uncomfortable as you are immersed into the perspective of the fractured protagonist.

The sound design is also notable in that in any given scene it feels like there are only a few distinct sound sources. Typically the sound of breathing or walking, and then a repetitive noise in the background, such as the barking of dogs, a bell ringing, or a slowly dripping faucet. The quiet punctuated by those sharp sounds, like the incredible visuals, help immerse you into the horrifying reality Carol lives in.

While there are a number of jump scares in the film, they are exceptionally effective. The reason they work so well is both that the film its maddeningly patient in building up to them, and the payoffs are genuinely terrifying. But, as a cruelly effective psychological horror film, the jump scares are not where the true fear lies. It's in the deathly stillness, the cracks in the walls and family photographs, in the shadows and behind closed doors.
I just watched Repulsion because of this post; wasn't aware of the movie until then. I'll just spoiler the whole thing because I don't want to give away what the theme of the movie is.

I thought it was a very effective psychological-thriller character study. I'm still digesting it but there was obviously something that happened around the beginning of the movie that triggered a trauma associated with a childhood rape. She becomes more and more repulsed by and terrified of men and sexuality as the movie progresses to the point where she murders two men who, to say the least, were coming on too strong to her. And then she has the traumatic nightmares/hallucinations of being violently raped by an older man. At the very end you get a close up shot of the family picture which shows her as a child looking, almost fearfully, at who is presumably her father. This girl was raped by her dad as a kid and the movie shows her PTSD bubbling to the surface. But man she really went bonkers.

The camerawork, cinematography and sound design were great and really created an unsettling atmosphere.

By the way, this movie, Rosemary's baby.....what is it with Roman Polanski and his fixation on rape? Weird....

It Follows was a solid horror film. It's not a masterpiece or anything, but the atmosphere created by the cinematography and music is excellent and appropriately creepy. I appreciated the ambiguity, I think it works better that way. 7/10

I think it comes very close. Fucking loved it. Awesome premise executed beautifully. Both in form and in terms of content. Kick-ass soundtrack too.

I just watched Repulsion because of this post; wasn't aware of the movie until then. I'll just spoiler the whole thing because I don't want to give away what the theme of the movie is.

I thought it was a very effective psychological-thriller character study. I'm still digesting it but there was obviously something that happened around the beginning of the movie that triggered a trauma associated with a childhood rape. She becomes more and more repulsed by and terrified of men and sexuality as the movie progresses to the point where she murders two men who, to say the least, were coming on too strong to her. And then she has the traumatic nightmares/hallucinations of being violently raped by an older man. At the very end you get a close up shot of the family picture which shows her as a child looking, almost fearfully, at who is presumably her father. This girl was raped by her dad as a kid and the movie shows her PTSD bubbling to the surface. But man she really went bonkers.

The camerawork, cinematography and sound design were great and really created an unsettling atmosphere.

By the way, this movie, Rosemary's baby.....what is it with Roman Polanski and his fixation on rape? Weird....

Yeah, that's what I gathered to be the trigger of her psychosis as well. Also, Polanski's fixation with rape (which also features in Chinatown) extended beyond his movies as I'm sure you've heard...

obin_gam

The Voices
Ryan Reynolds talks with his pets which tells him to kill people.
It was fairly enjoyable. Felt like they wanted to do Jeffrey Dahmer in a comedy, which I liked.

Repulsion.jpg

Damn. Polanski's Repulsion has got me all shook up. It might be my favorite of his films that I've seen, and easily one of the most unsettling horror films I've ever seen.
It reminded me a bit of The Haunting, another fantastically scary (and stunningly shot) psychological horror film from the 60's. Also, it's clear Darren Arronofsky is really, considering its influence can be felt all over a bunch of his movies.

The gradual descent into madness is realized so, so, well. There are all sorts of visual ques, from the mundane (strangely unsettling close ups on ordinary objects) to the macabre like the disgusting rotting rabbit that decays as the film goes on. It just makes you feel all itchy and uncomfortable as you are immersed into the perspective of the fractured protagonist.

The sound design is also notable in that in any given scene it feels like there are only a few distinct sound sources. Typically the sound of breathing or walking, and then a repetitive noise in the background, such as the barking of dogs, a bell ringing, or a slowly dripping faucet. The quiet punctuated by those sharp sounds, like the incredible visuals, help immerse you into the horrifying reality Carol lives in.

While there are a number of jump scares in the film, they are exceptionally effective. The reason they work so well is both that the film its maddeningly patient in building up to them, and the payoffs are genuinely terrifying. But, as a cruelly effective psychological horror film, the jump scares are not where the true fear lies. It's in the deathly stillness, the cracks in the walls and family photographs, in the shadows and behind closed doors.
Thank you gonna watch this tonight. Really fascinated by Polanski's work.
EDIT : just realized I paid attention to this post probably because of Deneuve's eyes. We are so predictable aren't we : )

Window

City on Fire: Better than Reservoir Dogs
Well I don't remember enough about Reservoir Dogs to really say
. That ending shot of Chow's
dead body
was pretty frightening. Loved Hong-Kong in this film. Chow Yun-fat and Danny Lee make a great pair.

Wanted to catch Ex Machina last night but it was sold out for 2 showings that I. Old go to before heading to a bar for my friend's birthday. Instead I saw Kumiko Treausre Hunter which just felt like a huge waste of time. When I saw the trailer a few months ago, I figure it would be similar to Ida where the journey actually meant something but instead I was left cold. 5/10

Currygan

Departures

This was good, it was an interesting look at something I haven't given much thought to. There were just a couple of moments early on, that felt a little off to me. The stigma Daigo faces, and the way the various families he works for grieve, and interact with him was shown well.

interesting, what are these moments you're referring to?

G-Fex

The Station Agent: Peter Dinklage becoming a favorite, I'm not one for too much for dramas but this was really good

Currygan

haha, I just asked because they're the exact same two moments I also felt slightly out of place. Surely the overall tone of the movie isn't that of a sad tale, but these two scenes were kinda weird, agreed

swoon

Doubled The Battle of San Pietro and Let There Be Light, two John Huston WW2 docs. (the latter a huge inspiration for The Master.) seemed to make sense given it's about 90 minutes total, with one covering one battle and one the PTSD wracking returning soldiers just after the war. As depressing as that sounds, San Pietro is just as bleak. plenty of the footage is recreation yet it shocks regardless, and the general message is that what the Allied forces are doing is painful, costly, doesn't even benefit those who actually live in these towns, and will never end. Let There Be Light is more genuine, and the spots where it's clearly staged undermine the sunnier disposition those scenes attempt to whip up. After an hour of men physically and mentally broken, 5 minutes of orchestrated happiness during a baseball game can't eradicate the feeling that these men will never be whole again, and that their fragility will trickle out into the rest of the nation.
(btw both of those Huston docs and Bluebeard are on youtube, for the curious.)

the you must remember this episode on huston during the war, is great listening. talks about huston's impressions about these two "documentaries" and him being an asshole.

i've never made it through dead bird without taking a break. i can't imagine trying to watch it in a theater.

big ander

The Freshman **** Lloyd is a great everyman and the story not having an expiration date pays off, people will always be trying to reinvent themselves at college (well, as long as colleges exist I guess). Segmented sections with discrete gags that build and build is similar to Chaplin but within the scenes Lloyd is definitely distinct, a bit more grounded and not about fighting and conflict as Chaplin so often ends up having with cops and suits. Harold 'Speedy' Lamb just wants to maintain appearances

next in the Hartley retro was Surviving Desire (which on rewatch I now think is a ***** masterpiece) preceded by shorts Ambition and Theory of Achievement, both good. Ambition is the better of the two, a go at Bunuel style surrealism with a ton of fantastic gags. Achievement is a more familiar 90s indie drama, but a good one. One character is a Jean-Luc Godard impersonator who never speaks, only whispers philosophy and theory into a mediator's ear in between cigar puffs. it's great.

Actress has gotten a lot of praise for being "cinematic nonfiction", the claim being that its lampshading of its structure and stagedness is in itself compelling. But reality TV does that too, and if you're playing with ideas of what's "real" versus what's "true" you should have more to say than pat notions of how we're all playing roles in life, man. That makes it sound like I disliked it, I did enjoy the intimate discomfort and it's a pretty nice somber drama about this woman dealing with ennui. But it's no form-breaker.
the you must remember this episode on huston during the war, is great listening. talks about huston's impressions about these two "documentaries" and him being an asshole.

i've never made it through dead bird without taking a break. i can't imagine trying to watch it in a theater.
Ah cool I've been meaning to listen to more of that show.

and the Fuller really was exhausting. one of those where halfway or 2/3rds of the way through my head began to nod, and I wondered if the confusing monotony was because I was tired for a while before realizing it was the other way around.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Question for those who have seen It Follows...

So Paul or whatever DIDN'T nail the hooker? I realize the ending is supposed to be ambiguous and up in the air, but I'm curious what you guys think

Question for those who have seen It Follows...

So Paul or whatever DIDN'T nail the hooker? I realize the ending is supposed to be ambiguous and up in the air, but I'm curious what you guys think

I think he did, but since the prostitute probably didn't believe Paul when he explained to her the consequences, it would only have to kill one John (she probably slept with), the hooker and then it would be back to Paul. That's what's so brilliant about the premise, there's no way out, just ways to buy more time.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Yojimbo is another great Kurosawa samurai film. There are several exciting twists and turns in the story, as Sanjuro messes with both gangs. Mifune is a badass as always. I'll watch Sanjuro sometime later this week.

After watching this on Saturday morning, I decided to watch two of the Punisher movies that night for some reason lol.

The Punisher(1989) is an entertaining movie. It doesn't really try anything special, but it has some good action scenes. I like Dolph, but dark hair and facial hair can't hide that he's the most European-looking guy ever.

The Punisher: War Zone is true to the character and gory as hell, but its so mean-spirited and gross that its tough to enjoy.

The Third Man: Can't believe it's taken me so long to watch this one. Orson Welles and that Zither score are charming as fuck. That ferris wheel set-piece was crazy tense (how good is Welle's speech??), and the ending is just so great; none of that cheesy Hollywood romance bullshit here.

The Third Man: Can't believe it's taken me so long to watch this one. Orson Welles and that Zither score are charming as fuck. That ferris wheel set-piece was crazy tense (how good is Welle's speech??), and the ending is just so great; none of that cheesy Hollywood romance bullshit here.

Great, great film. Haven't seen it in years. I really should pop the dvd in sometime soon.

How is everyone? Have you all been sleeping okay? Any babies or debilitating injuries?
We're seeing Dreyer's Joan of Arc in film class tomorrow, so I guess things are going well. I'm putting my movie-watching schedule on hiatus until summer, got enough stuff to do now that might not be possible later (I tell myself as the Film Noir series w/Argentian Woolrich adaptations happened in Austin without me!).

A Most Violent Year

What's the GAF opinion on this one? Just finished and it left me cold. Isaac and Chastain were fantastic but it was almost too slow of a burn and the ending didn't really feel like an ending.

A Most Violent Year

What's the GAF opinion on this one? Just finished and it left me cold. Isaac and Chastain were fantastic but it was almost too slow of a burn and the ending didn't really feel like an ending.

uh oh, i'm actually about to watch it. i feel like i won't like it, but i guess i'll find out

The Babadook- Not a bad flick, but I really didn't think it was worth the hype. Great performances throughout as well.
The Shining- Watching this before my vacation to Denver since we're going on a tour of The Stanley hotel. I always found it interesting that I end up noticing more and more little things about this film, and it adds to my enjoyment each time.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
A Most Violent Year

The second best movie of last year starting with the words "A Most," as well second best overall, behind only A Most Wanted Man, the first best movie starting with the words "A Most," as well as first overall.

Sanjuro was pretty fantastic. It wasn't as good as Yojimbo, but that speaks more to just how good Yojimbo was. I liked how this one delved a little deeper into Sanjuro character, and the ending duel with the
gushing fountain of blood
was a sight to behold. Tightly paced, entertaining, and beautifully shot (the cinematography here is perhaps even better than in Yojimbo), but it's certainly not the best of the Kurosawa I've seen.

Great, great film. Haven't seen it in years. I really should pop the dvd in sometime soon.

Definitely do, I can see myself rewatching this film a bunch.

I would like to apologize for my past paranoia. I don't think it was totally unfounded, given what I wanted to do, but I went overboard and, I'm sure, came across as a bit of a narcissistic asshole in thinking anyone would ever care what I wrote on a video game forum. My bad.

fwiw, I'm no longer pursuing any kind of career where I fear the stuff I write on here has the potential to impact my future, so I no longer give a shit.

Currygan

A Most Violent Year

quite good, great even. I loved the slow burning, it added to the atmosphere, which is already very convincing

A Most Violent Year

Pretty great slow burn with amazing performances by both leads.

uh oh, i'm actually about to watch it. i feel like i won't like it, but i guess i'll find out

I was actually way wrong, because I really liked A Most Violent Year, it's atmospheric and "slow" but it's really engaging (not boring as hell) and the performances are great

Inherent Vice was awesome, probably my favorite PTA movie! Just oozing coolness and atmosphere, like a film noir version of Big Lebowski almost. And not as hard to follow as I was lead to believe, I'm more confused by the plot and action scenes in a Bourne movie than by this.

Bob le flambeur was also great, such a stylish French noir, great finale. Le samuraï is still my favorite Melville though.

I also watched and hated Du levande, just like I hated Songs from the Second Floor. I guess there's a public for this stuff, to me it looked like absurd TV sketches and I got nothing out of this.

overcast

Beginners
I can see this one being almost too twee/00's indie flick for some, but I thought it was very genuine. Felt like modern emotions realized very well. Good performances and Plummer was particularly great. Loved the little drawings and random pictures throughout.

Side note: Melanie Laurent is to die for.

overcast

You guys should give me a 1:30-2 hour movie to watch on my break tomorrow (or I'll continue Daredevil or whatever). Netflix, Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime.

I would use Hola, but I don't want my friends Netflix to get canned. So, US Netflix.

MikeMyers

You guys should give me a 1:30-2 hour movie to watch on my break tomorrow (or I'll continue Daredevil or whatever). Netflix, Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime.

I would use Hola, but I don't want my friends Netflix to get canned. So, US Netflix.
House on Hulu Plus.

No one is ready for that one.

Sunset Boulevard if you haven't seen it.

kind of been in the mood for old movies so I'd recommend on the waterfront brah. it's on hulu

TWIN PEAKS FIRE WALK WITH ME

decided to revisit this over all that twin peaks news in the last week. if you ignore that Bob and the supernatural elements actually exist in this universe this can actually be seen as a really disturbing take on mental illness and household abuse. laura palmer's story is so depressing. lynch a master at atmosphere too. manages to make a simple staircase or painting shot seem unsettling. sometimes the goofy shit gets annoying though lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom