• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| August 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awful script? Can you give some examples?

Of what? Awful scripts? Or why this particular screenplay is awful?

I assume you mean the latter.

Well, first of all the plot is just one of revenge at its most basic. No mystery, no development. Just a cat and mouse game that stretches way beyond repetitiveness and a final "twist" with no impact.

I can't relate to the main character because the movie doesn't give me any reasons to care about him (he quickly turns into as horrible a human being as his prey and I completely lost any faith in him when he failed to just kill the guy instead of letting him continue on his rampage).

There's no character development and no reason to care if the story resolves one way or another.

There's no suspension of disbelief because the cast is superhuman.

So basically nothing at stake despite each and every scene trying to top the previous one in terms of violence and gore. Which I don't mind but is not enough to replace telling a freaking story.

Basically fails everywhere Old Boy succeeded and most importantly in capturing and holding the viewer's attention.

Rogan

Banned
Of what? Awful scripts? Or why this particular screenplay is awful?

I assume you mean the latter.

Well, first of all the plot is just one of revenge at its most basic. No mystery, no development. Just a cat and mouse game that stretches way beyond repetitiveness and a final "twist" with no impact.

I can't relate to the main character because the movie doesn't give me any reasons to care about him (he quickly turns into as horrible a human being as his prey and I completely lost any faith in him when he failed to just kill the guy instead of letting him continue on his rampage).

There's no character development and no reason to care if the story resolves one way or another.

There's no suspension of disbelief because the cast is superhuman.

So basically nothing at stake despite each and every scene trying to top the previous one in terms of violence and gore. Which I don't mind but is not enough to justify telling a freaking story.

Basically fails everywhere Old Boy succeeded and most importantly in capturing and holding the viewer's attention.
I ment this particular screenplay.

Thank you for explaining and I think you are right on most of the points. However I still liked the movie, it was not terrible or forgettable. It just lacks character development for sure and this hurts the rest of the movie.

maxcriden

White House Down

Not great, not bad. My kind of lazy, rainy sunday movie.

Just fun action movie with a predictable plot.

Saw this a couple months ago or so and felt the same. We tried to watch Olympus Has Fallen a few days later and found it excessively, gratuitously violent and not at all fun. Just wanting destruction without any fun or cleverness to the movie. Big time meh on that one, I was disappointed that's the one getting a sequel.

Geido

Hello everyone. As someone who watches quite a lot of films, I though I should introduce myself and start posting here.

1. What's your favorite Movie?

Fa Yeung Nin Wa In The Mood For Love (2000)

Love the imagery. The story might be interpreted as clichéd, but the entire movie was an experience like no other for me.

2. Who's your favorite director?

Good question. The director(s) I like most movies are probably the Coen Brothers. Consistently enjoyable.

3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses?

Penelope Cruz. great actress, beautiful woman.
Jared Leto. I don't think I've ever seen a role where he didn't shine. Didn't see everything though.
Tilda Swinton. Does the weirdest things, but they always work.
Matthew McConaughey. His renaissance is just great.

4. Favorite Genre(s)?

Sci-Fi, Drama, Animation, Adventure

5. What's your favorite performance in film?

Heath Ledger's joker. Never before has an actor surprised me with such a brilliant performance.

A Nightmare on Elm Street: It had a lot of energy behind it thanks to the inventive dream sequences and Robert Englunds gleeful performance that gave it a vitality and sense of momentum and fun missining in many slashers. It's no Halloween or Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but it's still up there as one of the better slashers.

its a bummer douchey skateboarders wear it though

It's because they are the most susceptible to aliens duh

I was disappointed as well. And it started really great too.

I keep being disappointed by Korean "crime" movies though. I Saw the Devil was complete trash. The Chaser and Yellow Sea were ok but I expected more.

Memories of Murder and Madeo (in what I will admit is actually a different genre) are still my favorites.

Have you seen Mother?

Rogan

Banned
Saw this a couple months ago or so and felt the same. We tried to watch Olympus Has Fallen a few days later and found it excessively, gratuitously violent and not at all fun. Just wanting destruction without any fun or cleverness to the movie. Big time meh on that one, I was disappointed that's the one getting a sequel.

Olympus Has Fallen was forgettable yeah.

These movies came out in the same year. That's pretty funny.

Olympus Has Fallen 22 March 2013 (USA)
White House Down 28 June 2013 (USA)

I ment this particular screenplay.

Thank you for explaining and I think you are right on most of the points. However I still liked the movie, it was not terrible or forgettable. It just lacks character development for sure and this hurts the rest of the movie.

Cheers. Writing up the above and despite my reasoning I realized I did not forget it either :p

Have you seen Mother?

Oh yes. Madeo = Mother, it's just the transcribed original title. Fantastic film.

I watched Unfriended a few nights ago. Concept was cool, but every time the movie needed to not be cheesy, it was the cheesiest shit. Bummer. Still pretty entertaining, though.

Akahige

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - A lot more low key than I thought it was going to be, felt smaller in scale compared to the other M:I films despite the globe trotting. The script is the weakest part of the film, everything felt rushed. The Cinematography is fantastic, the hand to hand combat scenes were a little too frantic/shaky for my taste though which is a big shame since Jack Reacher's few fight scenes were shot concise and to the point. The plane sequence they advertised in every tv spot and trailer was pretty quick and definitely lost some of the tension due to seeing it so many times,
glad that the underwater stunt wasn't shown pretty much at all because that was tense as hell, basically Gravity underwater instead of in space and it was nice to see the after effects of him almost dying from it even if mostly for comedic purposes
. Rebecca Ferguson was utterly awesome, Simon Pegg given the co-lead was nice and Tom is insane and charming as ever.

Wet Hot American Summer (2001) - Figured I'd check this to since the tv show just came out on Netflix, very sharp writing and very funny but I can see why it was underrated for so long since it's strange and random as fuck at times.

RibMan

Brand new to this thread!

1. What's your favorite Movie?
The Godfather. Phenomenal acting, pacing, music, cinematography, and editing.

2. Who's your favorite director?
Currently it's Christopher Nolan. This changes a lot.

3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses?
Top 5 Actors: Tom Hanks, Anthony Mackie, Leonardo DiCaprio, Seth Rogen, and Chris Pratt. Bonus: Christoph Waltz

Top 5 Actresses: Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock, Salma Hayek, Kristen Wiig, and Eva Mendes. Bonus: Anne Hathaway

4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Sci-fi, thrillers, and horror movies.

5. What's your favorite performance in film?
Al Pacino in The Godfather.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently watched: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Score: 1 out of 5

Terrible, terrible movie. The editing is shockingly poor and the pacing is horrendous: every scene drags on for way too long. Indiana Jones is made into this weird adventuring suave university professor with zero situational awareness, and it all completely fails. The sidekicks (Willie and Short Round) are obnoxious and aggravatingly slow in every single scene. The worst thing about the entire movie? The temple of doom turns out to be a completely uninteresring
slave labor camp for children
. Overall, it's a terrible sequel that makes you wonder what the hell went wrong.

maxcriden

Oh, I won a digital copy of The Divergent Series: Insurgent yesterday afternoon, so we watched that last night. We try to schedule in a Sunday night flick with some action to it if possible. I want to say we saw the first film back in March and found it to be just okay. I think prior to that we'd tried the first 15 mins back when it first came out on DVD and hadn't been able to get into it at all. So, I dunno. Both of these movies are alright. I think "good" is probably a bit of a stretch. For mindless-ish sci-fi they're okay.

My wife reminds me the target audience is tweens and teens and I'll admit I forget that and probably judge them a bit more harshly as a result. Both movies were solidly directed and acted, but the stories and characters and setting feel fairly paint-by-numbers as far as sci-fi goes. I'll take the more complex dystopia of The Hunger Games over Divergent in comparison, and with those movies I've felt like the sequels were actually significantly more interesting than the original. Well, at least the second film was. I think the third movie was pretty solid but I'll admit at this moment I don't remember it as well. The original Hunger Games I thought was solid but unspectacular. (While I'm on the subject, thought Maze Runner was okay. Unremarkable but not bad.)

Teen scifi flicks:

The Giver >>>> Hunger Games > Maze Runner > Divergent

Have not seen I Am Number Four or The Host yet.

Temple of Doom is distinctive and has grit. Some really freaky imagery for a "family picture".

It's a good movie. The only real risk is going deaf from Willie's screams and voice.

Love this series. Later films never reach the heights of the first one but the dream aspect allows them to be both creative and campy even when they get pretty shitty, and Robert Englund is pretty much always godly and hilarious.

They are not quite as polished, but A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors and A New Nightmare (#7) round out quite nicely as an ad hoc trilogy starring Heather Langencamp as Nancy and are worth watching. Maybe 2 as well if you're curious to see what subliminal homoeroticism looked like in 1980s horror films.

Nice I'll get around to those at some point. 2 is the only other one on Netflix I believe might check it out, I can't imagine it tackles subliminal homoeroticism in anything less than a supremely goofy and/or awkward manner.

Spinluck

gotta start a Tarantino rewatch tonight to see if his movies still hold up, first is going to be Inglourious Basterds since Ive watched it only once as opposed to Jackie Brown or Pulp Fiction. Django is gonna be next. I"ll avoid Kill Bill because honestly I find them both mediocre

Last time I watched Jackie Brown was last year.

Still love that one, not his best, but one of my favorites from him.

The Double - Hard to describe. Bit of a mind bender that had a really distinct/noticeable, analog feel. Incredibly confident direction and occasionally stunning to look at. Pretty unnerving though; it really gets under your skin. The almost total disconnect from reality gave it horror vibes.

big ander

New Nightmare is the 8 1/2 of horror movies, and I don't make that comparison lightly

I'd go Adaptation. but yeah it's a trip
Nice I'll get around to those at some point. 2 is the only other one on Netflix I believe might check it out, I can't imagine it tackles subliminal homoeroticism in anything less than a supremely goofy and/or awkward manner.
I'm not sure if this says something about me, but I watched the 2nd without knowing its reputation and I didn't completely comprehend how gay it is--which I think is excusable because the director himself was not aware throughout production--until after reading about it and realizing it is entirely about homosexual repression. Obvious to Tobias Funke "The Man Inside Me" levels

icarus is right though that the essentials are the trilogy of 1, 3 and 7. If you're gonna go all the way 4 and 5 are also worthwhile, some iconic kills and intriguing ideas. 4 has something with time loops I can't fully remember outside of the fact that they provided a new interesting wrinkle to Freddy's powers.
6/Freddy's Dead is awful. freddy uses a powerglove and his dad is played by alice cooper.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Last time I watched Jackie Brown was last year.

Still love that one, not his best, but one of my favorites from him.

Jackie is just awesome. People were expecting another Pulp and he gave them a completely tonally different one. Trolling to the max

anyway, onto Inglourious. I find this movie simply incredible. Tarantino takes WW2 as a starting point to create a fantasy world in which every historical detail is thrown out of the window in favour of a pure, crystalline cinematic experience that celebrates cinema as a whole and at the same time exploits the medium in a 360 way. His trolling is masterful: the Basterds are the perfect bait for the (American) masses, hey you got these bad ass Yankees butchering Nazis with a baseball bat, must be awesome! Yet, he films a 20 minutes prologue in a French farm, with a French farmer and a Nazi officer talking around a table. I can only imagine the look on the bloodthirsty audience's faces. "Enough of this *insert slur against the French*!". Then he finally introduces the Basterds in a three minutes scene. We'll see more of them soon enough. Cue an enraged Hitler himself, wearing a rather tasty chain cloak reminiscent of a comic book supervillain. His intent is now clear, don't look for any historical truth here, he wants the audience to have fun. Every chapter is both an homage to German cinema, American war movies, cinema itself, with a rather massive array of characters, some barely sketched in with quick flashbacks, quick cuts, scarce dialogue, but all of them functional to the big picture. He quickly relegates his bait, the Basterds, and their bloody methods to the benches, enter Shoshanna, Landa, Hicox, Zoller, Goebbels, Von Hammersmark. Each one of them played and written with great expertise, they are given a surprising amount of screentime, and the viewer can't be happier because Basterds becomes another movie again. A tragic love story, a spy thriller, a period drama, all filmed with such attention to detail, directorial mastery and total subversion of people's expectations to leave astounded, let alone the fact most of the movie is in German, with subtitles, which has to be highly praised because, after all, you're watching a fantasy movie, but every little detail, such as the strudel Landa is eating with Shoshanna, or Goebbels shaking her hand with that weird finger movement, don't clash with Tarantino's more outrageous meta signatures, like the superimposed titles, the HUGO STIGLITZ that suddenly appears before said character, or the little arrows that pop up indicating who's who. Its a behemoth of a movie, so modern yet so enshrined to the past, it baffles the mind. Then you have the individual performances. Its been said enough about Waltz's monstrous skills and presence, but I would like to praise the Germans too. Goebbels is perfect, and so is Hellstrom (don't know the names, sorry), and so is young Wilhelm, and Daniel Bruhl' s Zoller. Tremendous actors, all of them, nuanced, brilliantly creepy, absolutely believable and true. I find the weakest performance is given by Melanie Laurent, she's a bit goofy overall, especially compared to these monsters. The Basterds, as I said, felt more like a side dish, you only see the Bear Jew smashing one skull, but it's clear it was not Tarantino's intent to make a movie about these guys, he wanted to make a neckbreak paced WW2 cartoonish pastiche as detailed and refined as possible, and with he help of an insanely talented cast, he succeeded indeed. Masterpiece, 10/10

I'm not sure if this says something about me, but I watched the 2nd without knowing its reputation and I didn't completely comprehend how gay it is--which I think is excusable because the director himself was not aware throughout production--until after reading about it and realizing it is entirely about homosexual repression. Obvious to Tobias Funke "The Man Inside Me" levels

icarus is right though that the essentials are the trilogy of 1, 3 and 7. If you're gonna go all the way 4 and 5 are also worthwhile, some iconic kills and intriguing ideas. 4 has something with time loops I can't fully remember outside of the fact that they provided a new interesting wrinkle to Freddy's powers.
6/Freddy's Dead is awful. freddy uses a powerglove and his dad is played by alice cooper.

lol Nightmare on Elmstreet by way of Tobias Funke is a pretty good pitch I have to admit. I probably won't truck through all the sequels, I love horror films but I never really got into a lot of the lesser known sequels (like I love Halloween, but I think I've seen maybe one or two of the others?). But I'll check out 3 and 7 if they're good.

Slow West - Some interesting ideas and shots, looked gorgeous as fuck (seriously, it's impossible to make a Western not look beautiful) and good performances. The odd pacing kinda took me out of the film for a bit, but the
final shootout
was great.

John Maclean is one to watch for sure.

4/5

Arnie7

Banned
Went on a Scorsese binge to watch the last remaining films of his I hadn't yet seen.

The age of Innocence
Unlike his other films. Very much his cinrmatic Barry Lyndon as it were. The set design and the out of this world cinematography is a sight to behold. Michelle Pfeiffer gives the performance of a lifetime and her chemistry with Daniel Day Lewis is astonishing. Winona Ryder completes the love triangle to give the film a incredible rounded feel.

The Last Temptation of Christ
William Dafoe as a more grounded Jesus is a interesting take. An all star cast including Harvey Keitel as Judas and David Bowie as Pontius Pilate. There are some great scenes especially the lion in the dessert and that infamous ending.

The Color of Money
Young hot headed Tom Cruise battling it out in pool competition with Oscar winning performance by Paul Newman. What's not to love. The editing is the star of the show, weaving in and out with fast cuts to capture the kinetic energy of the pool ball shots.

The King of Comedy
Up there as one if not the best De Niro performance. Lou Blooms character in Nightcrawler has certainly been influenced by this. A film that is still relevant today's in society's obsession with media and instant fame.

All these films are incredibly underrated. Scorsese has gone up significantly in my book.

Ridley327

Killer's Kiss finds a substantially more confident and proficient Stanley Kubrick behind the camera, turning a fairly typical B-film noir on the program into something worth a closer look, thanks to his refined sense of visual storytelling and what looked like a bit more cleverness in making due with having about zero budget to work with. With a dabbling of what was probably non-permitted footage of the live New York City of that era, it winds up being one of the film's biggest strengths, as the more naturalistic and documentary-like portrayal gives the film a lot of flavor that it wouldn't normally have had as a more straightforward studio work. Kubrick also begins to find his voice more and more, with an emphasis on smooth camera movement and a reliance on more natural lighting, giving the film a sheen that others of its ilk could kill for, and make it really hard to ignore just how much talent was bristling inside of the director, waiting for some crazy producer to give him a chance to really show what he could with a budget longer than a shoestring. As I said, it is a film that you're not really watching to be blown away by the story, as it's your average "down-on-his-luck loser happening upon a small chance at a better life only to get wrapped up in some fiendish criminal plot," and Kubrick isn't really making much of an effort to spice that plot up, nor is he doing too much with his actors to further liven things up, settling for merely acceptable or involving enough. That being said, this was the equivalent of a AAA ball player knowing he's ready for the majors, and makes it known as such with some riveting sequences, including a cleverly shot boxing match that features some wonderful camerawork and editing (in general, the editing is such a massive leap forward from Fear and Desire that it's hard to believe that the same guy worked on both), an initially disorienting flashback voiceover accompanied by a ballet performance that leaves a strong impression once that story reaches its big turn to cast a very different perspective on the what and why of its purpose, and a strong finale that starts with a gorgeous rooftop chase that culminates in a fight scene in a surreal mannequin storage. If no one was paying attention to what Kubrick could bring to the table after this film, it was surely their loss in the end.

I always thought Scorsese/Schoonmaker must've been fans of Killer's Kiss, cuz you can draw a straight line from Raging Bull's jagged Expressionistic boxing match editing right back to it.

Ridley327

I always thought Scorsese/Schoonmaker must've been fans of Killer's Kiss, cuz you can draw a straight line from Raging Bull's jagged Expressionistic boxing match editing right back to it.

I was shocked at how modern that whole scene felt. Kubrick was doing stuff in 1955 that boxing films these days still don't, especially all those awesome POV shots, and that was with a film camera!

Skulldead

When Marnie Was There

I wasn't feeling this movie, music was amazing, well developped heroine. I didn't really feel the relation between the 2 characters, everything was confusing for no reason.... until the last 15 minute, where everything make freaking sense. That was beautiful !!!!!! This is one of the biggest surprise of this year for me. This is the a rare occurence where i enjoy a movie because of a ending. I recommended for everyone that like Studio Gibli...

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Went on a Scorsese binge to watch the last remaining films of his I hadn't yet seen.

The age of Innocence
Unlike his other films. Very much his cinrmatic Barry Lyndon as it were. The set design and the out of this world cinematography is a sight to behold. Michelle Pfeiffer gives the performance of a lifetime and her chemistry with Daniel Day Lewis is astonishing. Winona Ryder completes the love triangle to give the film a incredible rounded feel.

The Last Temptation of Christ
William Dafoe as a more grounded Jesus is a interesting take. An all star cast including Harvey Keitel as Judas and David Bowie as Pontius Pilate. There are some great scenes especially the lion in the dessert and that infamous ending.

The Color of Money
Young hot headed Tom Cruise battling it out in pool competition with Oscar winning performance by Paul Newman. What's not to love. The editing is the star of the show, weaving in and out with fast cuts to capture the kinetic energy of the pool ball shots.

The King of Comedy
Up there as one if not the best De Niro performance. Lou Blooms character in Nightcrawler has certainly been influenced by this. A film that is still relevant today's in society's obsession with media and instant fame.

All these films are incredibly underrated. Scorsese has gone up significantly in my book.

King of Comedy is so stellar, but it's quite understandable why it's been a flop, which is sad, but at least it's reached cult status

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Jack Goes Boating: I only watched this because it was Philip Seymour Hoffman's sole directorial turn (he also stars in it). It was quite bad.

The King of Comedy

Top tier Scorsese and my favorite lead De Niro performance.

The King of Comedy

Isn't Jerry Lewis in this? How is he in it?

King of Comedy is fantastic. Might even be my favorite Scorsese (although I haven't seen Raging Bull yet...)

Days of Heaven: Absolutely gorgeous film. All those magic hour shots must have been brutal to get, and the fire too...Ennio Morricone did a beautiful job with the score, even though there were only like 2 or 3 pieces I believe, they just created this wonderous atmosphere with the visuals.

What I was most surprised by was the pacing and editing. This felt like this could have been some slow, plodding 3+ hour epic that everyone agrees is great but nobody actually enjoys watching, but it's been cut down to a lean 90 minutes where the super truncated and brief scenes give just as much character, plot, and thematic depth in as few words and seconds as can be managed. It's really economical and refreshing refreshing for this kind of story. It felt like a period epic and a new wave film had a beautiful, poetic baby.

UrbanRats is just mad his favorite movie of the year didn't revolutionize the medium.

We are now in the year of our V8 Lord, 1 A.F R.

The Transporter - From Statham's presence to the over-the-top climax that made me giggle more than once, I had a good time. There's some hesitation in watching a film like this, and you have to adjust expectations for a weak plot and thin characters. You do get that here, but seeing Jason Statham beat up hordes of guys makes up for it. It fulfilled the satisfaction one expects from an action movie. 4/5

karasu

Detachment: Adrien Brody's acting always delivers.

Venus in Fur: Every time I think I know who my favorite director is I end up watching a Roman polanski movie and becoming unsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom