• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| August 2017

The Wailing has the best exorcism scenes I've seen since The Exorcist. Fuckin intense stuff.

I remember when that scene happened I was laughing my ass off but at the same time recoiled in total suspense. It was as if my brain was confused on how to process the whole thing when finally the proper response came out saying "this is amazing". I've got a feeling that my opinion of the movie is only going to go up with time.

It's up on Netflix. That segment is a really dark comedic piece. I personally found it amusing but others I've seen hated it.

I might check it out as an October warmup here soon.

Blader

I mean the most unbelievable part of those movies isn't even the Ninjas, is how the whole Wayne foundation works.

The last time I watched Batman Begins, it occurred to me, who the fuck was Thomas Wayne? He was a doctor, but also a public transit developer, but also a military contractor?

swoon

So apparently Annie Clark (aka St. Vincent) is doing a film adaptation of The Picture of Dorian Gray.

There's been quite a few film versions already, but a woman will play the Dorian Gray role in this version. The script's being written by David Burke of Elle fame, and is being produced by Lionsgate.

Just thought that some of you might be interested in this.

def check out albert lewin's version from it (and the rest of his films) he's seemingly forgotten (esp compared to the fame of the paintings in his films), but one of the best visual directors of all time.

I finally got around to watching Schindler's List. Oh man, what a great film. Definitely the best depiction of the Holocaust I've seen in a movie; only Come and See was similarly as affecting. Now excuse me while I wrap myself in a blanket and go pay a visit to r/Aww.

Ridley327

So apparently Annie Clark (aka St. Vincent) is doing a film adaptation of The Picture of Dorian Gray.

There's been quite a few film versions already, but a woman will play the Dorian Gray role in this version. The script's being written by David Burke of Elle fame, and is being produced by Lionsgate.

Just thought that some of you might be interested in this.

Hopefully, this pans out better for her than her short for XX, which I thought was all kinds of bad.

Blood Rage: Shockingly decent late period slasher that does an OK job of integrating psychological disorders into the mix that includes some rather good gore effects and, in something of a rarity for genre, pointedly goes out of its way to reserve the actual on-screen killings to males and minimizes the female exposure to the aftermath. Sure, it ain't what one would call woke for its time, but it was a nice touch all the same as it was shot during the peak of the genre. Initially, it looks like we're headed for a very rapidly paced film, but for reasons that I imagine eluded the filmmakers as it does me, they decide to then drop right into standard slasher plotting after the initial adrenaline rush, leading to some rather sloppy pacing that spoils the fun. The acting is largely terrible across the board, though it's hard not to find merit in Louise Lasser's growing madness coming off as genuine as the movie progresses, given how much practice she had as Mary Hartman in that department. The film does have some delightfully nutty elements to it, as it would have made "it's not cranberry sauce" happen if it had a normal release, as well as featuring Ted Raimi as a bathroom condom salesman, and the soundtrack is some topnotch 80s synth cheese, so it's got the entertainment factor down pretty pat. Throw in a super dark ending that makes a successful 180 from the more fun elements of the film, and you've got yourself a slasher that may not be the best the genre has to offer, but it's at least a minor triumph.

TissueBox

Not the hidden gem to overthrow La La Land I was hoping for. Almost exceeds stupidity to reach fun-level stupid, but not quite enough to do the trick me. Also needs more Tom Cruise being smack-alicious, but either product is still probably put to shame by his Magnolia character. This unfortunately only made me wish for a genuinely crazy drama of that caliber centered around that Tom Cruise persona -- not what we get here.

Rock of Ages

Gastone

Baywatch (2017) 1/5
Well, holy shit. Based on the trailer, i thought this might be somewhat entertaining and funny. I was wrong. Very, very wrong.

As much as i like Dwayne Johnson, i think this has got to be one of the worst films he's ever been in. It's like every single attempt at creating a funny moment was directly inspired by edgy internet memes and forum comments.

*Sees a hot girl*
"Hi, my name is Matt Brody"
Girl: "And not a single fuck was given".

Are you fucking kidding me? And that was just in what, the first 5 minutes of the movie? The rest of the movie follows suit, with just incredibly juvenile attempts at funny dialogue and silly antics. I'm seriously struggling to think of any funny moments from the film. Also, the production values of the film seemed very low. The scenes with the burning yacht looked like it was from a cheap mid 90's tv show. (maybe that's the point..).

There was no chemistry between anyone in the cast. I felt like they were all just there to read off silly lines and try to be funny, while also looking good while doing it. What a total miss.

I finally got around to watching Schindler's List. Oh man, what a great film. Definitely the best depiction of the Holocaust I've seen in a movie; only Come and See was similarly as affecting. Now excuse me while I wrap myself in a blanket and go pay a visit to r/Aww.

I'll probably continue my current Spielberg binge and finally get around to watching this for the first time this weekend

The Fugitive (1993) - Seen it before but when I was much younger. A good thriller, got that classic sewer pipe scene. Not as good as I remember it being but I am older now and I had seen it before so the impact was less. Felt like a typical thriller of the time really - which is good as it is one. Nothing too much to say about it negatively. Good movie well worth a watch but not a favourite or anything of mine after rewatching it.

Le samouraï (1967) - Been meaning to watch this for a while and finally did. I can see why it's revered and was an inspiration for some directors. It's Paris, it's the 60's, it's existential, fatalistic and everyone smokes. Stylish and cool and moody. Liked it, didn't fall in love with it or anything. No negatives as such. Worth a watch if you want to see something influential or you like Paris in the 60's. Will see if I get the urge to rewatch it in the future. Sometimes you just want some French existentialism.

Hello again sorry Gaf is having conniptions if I try and edit my post above - was trying to add the questions asked in the OP. Here goes hope Gaf lets me post.

1. What's your favorite Movie? - Yojimbo (1961)
2. Who's your favorite director? - Stanley Kubrick probably
3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses? - Daniel Day Lewis/Jessica Chastain - off the top of my head
4. Favorite Genre(s)? - No favourite genre as such
5. What's your favorite performance in film? Toshiro Mifune in Yojimbo.

SeanC

I've seen it many times, but mostly because of the technical perfection that it has. It's one gorgeous film with amazing performances that I admire and have to love.

But each and every time I do have to stop and think if I want to put myself through it again. It's a movie that is emotionally draining because of that imagery alone. Throw in the Williams music and it can easily destroy someone not ready for it.

Icolin

Banned
I've seen it many times, but mostly because of the technical perfection that it has. It's one gorgeous film with amazing performances that I admire and have to love.

But each and every time I do have to stop and think if I want to put myself through it again. It's a movie that is emotionally draining because of that imagery alone. Throw in the Williams music and it can easily destroy someone not ready for it.

The girl in the red coat. Enough said.

Such an amazing and relentlessly sad film. Not sure if I like it or The Pianist more, but they're both fantastic films filled with great performances and beautiful moments for sure.

Fiennes and Neeson are astounding in Schindler's List.

SeanC

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

I really liked the opening and whatnot, but after that it’s trying really hard to Guy Ritchie shit up - banter dialogue, time jumps, quick cuts, flashbacks, flash forwards, frantic shaky-cam action with slow motion used at odd times. The style just rubbed me the wrong way right off it seems - it works for the gangster flicks and, to a degree, Sherlock Holmes as it can represent how Holmes’ thinks or sees the world, but here it’s just tonally wrong for what the story needs. The opening got that, I felt. I thought “oh, he really changed up his style for the most part and used certain techniques he’s known for smartly” - it's big, bold, colorful with massive special effects and cool action - then it got to a scene where King Hunnam is talking about ladies, I guess, and seeing people at a thing and money and stuff about a Viking and I soon realized “fuck, I don’t care about any of this I don't even know who these people in this overwritten scene are."

Turns out I was right with that notion because it devolves into something that's trying to be clever for clevers-sake. For example, that early scene with Hunnam and a group of guys in a dark room bantering about doesn’t add anything to the story or really tell us shit about the characters other than Hunnam is clever except when he’s not. I don’t even know their names in the scene. Mike? I think there was a Mike. Also a Jack. A Lucy maybe? You know…classic Arthurian names. It's a pointless scene used to show off a style more than offer any kind of substance.

Another issue was the world and a) it's visually unappealing mostly, drab and uninteresting with stock costumes (again, other than the opening scenes which I thought were great and colorful and interesting). I suppose when you get a bad King the existence of color stops as well. b) it loves to throw beasts, myths, magic and the like without really going into the context of it all. We just have to say "yep, there's a lady in the lake" or another "yep, that's a kind of naked lady in a tree" or "oh, there's a slithering creature in the basement of the castle that tells King Jude the future when a perfectly cool evil wizard or something would have done just fine." I want to accept it, I like magic and fantasy, but I like the stories around those things, not just the things themselves thrown in negligently as though they being there creates the world and makes it interesting by default for merely existing.

I’m all for new takes on old stories and tropes but it still needs to be a well told story. A “cockny-style romp” for King Arthur might have worked in some way but it doesn’t here. Jude Law is fantastic, though. He feels right and his scenes feel right, a fantastic villain wasted in a mediocre action movie with forgettable characters.

The Belko Experiment

Loved it. Well, ok “loved” is strong because I think there was an opportunity for more humor in this movie and it would have done wonders for it, but the visceral experience of something so simple in concept and gory and bloody in execution just worked for me. It is as advertised, doesn’t try to do or be more than that. The only major downside is that it all is a little predictable, you know the players and how they’ll likely end up, and there are two characters that I kept getting confused due to their similar looks and hair and wardrobe, but those are minor. In the moment, you don’t care. You just enjoy the bloody ride and wait for the villains to get their just desserts.

Woorloog

Banned
Watched Dr. Strangelove.

Amusing. If you like black comedy. Which i do.
I think i now know where Fallout video game series (well, the first two anyway) take some inspiration from.
It is a very good film, though i still need to process it fully.

The Purge (2013) - Interesting premise. Meh home invasion movie. Shame they could have really looked into animalistic urges and a national psychosis that would enable such a annual holiday as a purge but no it's just a home invasion so yeah. I like Lena Headey and Ethan Hawke can be really good but they weren't really asked to do much in this I thought. Not even that good of a horror flick so all in all I am not that keen on it. It was short so that is something.

javac

bSGnbD4.jpg
0w3Repx.jpg

In This Corner of the World is as much a celebration of life and the beauty that it entails as it is a story about the resilience of the people when faced with times of hardship and uncertainty. Set during World War II, the story of Suzu, a girl whom over the course of the two hour runtime grows and matures before our very eyes, and as she does a connection is formed between the viewer and her. Although we witness her grow as she is faced with misfortune, her desire to dream and stay positive remains a constant as she paints and draws the scenery around her as a means to escape the realities of war but to also appreciate the beauty that surrounds her in Kure, amongst the steep hillsides and adjacent to the inland sea which is adorned with warships. Suzu is 18 at the start of the film, a fact that may surprise a few people as the character designs are both playful and childlike. As you adjust to this stylistic choice however, a style that faithfully recreates the designs of Fumiyo Kouno's manga do we begin to realise just how effective this style is. There's a sense of maturity and care that graces each and every frame as 1940's Japan is brought to life and it's this juxtaposition that works together to conjure up a blend of levity and seriousness that makes for a huge punch to the gut.

At many junctures In This Corner of the World is a cosy film, laid back in its demeanour it invites its audience to soak in the atmosphere as the characters live their lives. The world has been meticulously crafted and has been animated in a beautiful painterly visage that juxtaposes amazingly with the more stark imagery. It is clear that director Katabuchi has spent a lot of time and effort in order to recreate 1930's/1940's Japan and it's evident. In This Corner of the World is very much a slice of life and so utmost focus is applied to the interactions between the cast, from the way that they talk to each-other to the way in which they interact with one-another on a day to day basis. For many people this may mean that the film slows down to a halt with not much ever happening at many points in the film but these moments create the heart of the film. Pillow shots are used throughout the film as a means to break up the action and to create a sense of place. We're allowed to breath in and appreciate the painstakingly recreated scenery and an air of sentimentality billows throughout the film. These shots can often come across as unrelated and abrupt but instead of diluting the emotion that's brewing they instead intensify the impact as they, as I said earlier create a sense of place. The world within this movie feels tangible and real and the interactions that occur on screen feel genuine.

Gentle, warm and hand-crafted, the painterly aesthetics lull you into its world as the highly detailed recreation of Kure is brought to life. The main character loves to draw and so during the movie elements of her imagination splash onto the screen and intertwine with the events that are unfolding as a means to allow the audience to see the world through her eyes. What this allows director Katabuchi to do is to depict events and scenes that we've seen time and time again in a fresh and new manner. In This Corner is not short of inventive imagery that sets it apart from similar films. The character designs are equally charming although they can appear simplistic and lacking in nuanced facial expressions, the terrific voice work however points the audience in the right direction. Some of the nonplussed facial expressions work, intended or otherwise as a means to make the characters almost unperturbed by the events occurring, to them this is life, the sounds of bombs exploding and bullets ricocheting is almost one with the sounds of birds chirping and cicadas buzzing. Either way, the character designs embody the pleasing and homely designs of Fumiyo Kouno. Kouno would sometimes draw images with her non-dominant hand or with lipstick instead of ink as a means to make the images more varied and to more importantly depict the emotions of the characters visually and the animators of this film took similar approaches in order to achieve the very same. Like Suzu in the manga and film, both Kouno and the animators of the movie tested themselves in order to discover their capabilities when it comes to art and their imagination. A film about the atomic bombs and the devastation that they left upon Hiroshima and Nagasaki brings fourth obvious imagery which is why the way in which Katabuchi goes about depicting these events are imaginative and innovative when it comes to storytelling.

The hand-drawn backgrounds are full to the brim with historically accurate details which juxtapose perfectly with the animated and simplified character designs and the two compliment one another perfectly. In This Corner perfectly captures the moments in life and I found myself becoming absorbed in the story, so much so that at parts I had forgotten that I was watching a film, never mind an animated film. From cooking to cleaning as the characters go through the motions the film is able to inject a much needed sense of levity amidst the terrible events that occur and by the end of the film I had truly become attached to the characters in a way that I hadn't expected.

Audio is handled just as well with the voice actors all doing a terrific job which again goes a long way in cementing this world and making it feel real. Although many of the audio tracks don't necessarily stand out on their own, they all work wonderfully in conjunction with what's being depicted visually, the film opening up with 悲しくてやりきれない ザ (I Can't Bear How Sad It Is) however is poignant, beautiful and does a terrific job of setting the tone for what is to come. The original 1968 version by The Folk Crusaders is a truly fantastic song and the rendition by Kotringo is equally sobering with the lyrics hitting like a tsunami of emotions.

It's a testament to the crew behind this film that they were able to craft a two hour historical animated film and to hold ones attention throughout and to stick the landing is impressive. Animation affords us the ability to conjure up the most imaginative and exciting worlds, to create and depict lives with ones bare hands is powerful and it leads to all sorts of possibilities which is why when a movie like this comes along it reminds us that some of the most remarkable and touching stories take place in the real world, even sometimes in a little corner of the world.
9/10

Shimmer Lake (2017) - competently made dark comedy that tells its bank robbery tale in reverse. At first I thought the story going backwards was going to be a gimmick, but with a decent twist at the end (or the beginning as it were), it paid off.

Solid performances but nothing outstanding. Pretty low key at times and less than 90 minutes.

3 / 5

TissueBox

Was planning to check out In This Corner of the World in the cinema last week but didn't make it... maybe sometime this weekend. ^^'

In This Corner of the World is as much a celebration of life and the beauty that it entails as it is a story about the resilience of the people when faced with times of hardship and uncertainty. Set during World War II, the story of Suzu, a girl whom over the course of the two hour runtime grows and matures before our very eyes, and as she does a connection is formed between the viewer and her. Although we witness her grow as she is faced with misfortune, her desire to dream and stay positive remains a constant as she paints and draws the scenery around her as a means to escape the realities of war but to also appreciate the beauty that surrounds her in Kure, amongst the steep hillsides and adjacent to the inland sea which is adorned with warships. Suzu is 18 at the start of the film, a fact that may surprise a few people as the character designs are both playful and childlike. As you adjust to this stylistic choice however, a style that faithfully recreates the designs of Fumiyo Kouno's manga do we begin to realise just how effective this style is. There's a sense of maturity and care that graces each and every frame as 1940's Japan is brought to life and it's this juxtaposition that works together to conjure up a blend of levity and seriousness that makes for a huge punch to the gut.

At many junctures In This Corner of the World is a cosy film, laid back in its demeanour it invites its audience to soak in the atmosphere as the characters live their lives. The world has been meticulously crafted and has been animated in a beautiful painterly visage that juxtaposes amazingly with the more stark imagery. It is clear that director Katabuchi has spent a lot of time and effort in order to recreate 1930's/1940's Japan and it's evident. In This Corner of the World is very much a slice of life and so utmost focus is applied to the interactions between the cast, from the way that they talk to each-other to the way in which they interact with one-another on a day to day basis. For many people this may mean that the film slows down to a halt with not much ever happening at many points in the film but these moments create the heart of the film. Pillow shots are used throughout the film as a means to break up the action and to create a sense of place. We're allowed to breath in and appreciate the painstakingly recreated scenery and an air of sentimentality billows throughout the film. These shots can often come across as unrelated and abrupt but instead of diluting the emotion that's brewing they instead intensify the impact as they, as I said earlier create a sense of place. The world within this movie feels tangible and real and the interactions that occur on screen feel genuine.

Gentle, warm and hand-crafted, the painterly aesthetics lull you into its world as the highly detailed recreation of Kure is brought to life. The main character loves to draw and so during the movie elements of her imagination splash onto the screen and intertwine with the events that are unfolding as a means to allow the audience to see the world through her eyes. What this allows director Katabuchi to do is to depict events and scenes that we've seen time and time again in a fresh and new manner. In This Corner is not short of inventive imagery that sets it apart from similar films. The character designs are equally charming although they can appear simplistic and lacking in nuanced facial expressions, the terrific voice work however points the audience in the right direction. Some of the nonplussed facial expressions work, intended or otherwise as a means to make the characters almost unperturbed by the events occurring, to them this is life, the sounds of bombs exploding and bullets ricocheting is almost one with the sounds of birds chirping and cicadas buzzing. Either way, the character designs embody the pleasing and homely designs of Fumiyo Kouno. Kouno would sometimes draw images with her non-dominant hand or with lipstick instead of ink as a means to make the images more varied and to more importantly depict the emotions of the characters visually and the animators of this film took similar approaches in order to achieve the very same. Like Suzu in the manga and film, both Kouno and the animators of the movie tested themselves in order to discover their capabilities when it comes to art and their imagination. A film about the atomic bombs and the devastation that they left upon Hiroshima and Nagasaki brings fourth obvious imagery which is why the way in which Katabuchi goes about depicting these events are imaginative and innovative when it comes to storytelling.

The hand-drawn backgrounds are full to the brim with historically accurate details which juxtapose perfectly with the animated and simplified character designs and the two compliment one another perfectly. In This Corner perfectly captures the moments in life and I found myself becoming absorbed in the story, so much so that at parts I had forgotten that I was watching a film, never mind an animated film. From cooking to cleaning as the characters go through the motions the film is able to inject a much needed sense of levity amidst the terrible events that occur and by the end of the film I had truly become attached to the characters in a way that I hadn't expected.

Audio is handled just as well with the voice actors all doing a terrific job which again goes a long way in cementing this world and making it feel real. Although many of the audio tracks don't necessarily stand out on their own, they all work wonderfully in conjunction with what's being depicted visually, the film opening up with 悲しくてやりきれない ザ (I Can't Bear How Sad It Is) however is poignant, beautiful and does a terrific job of setting the tone for what is to come. The original 1968 version by The Folk Crusaders is a truly fantastic song and the rendition by Kotringo is equally sobering with the lyrics hitting like a tsunami of emotions.

It's a testament to the crew behind this film that they were able to craft a two hour historical animated film and to hold ones attention throughout and to stick the landing is impressive. Animation affords us the ability to conjure up the most imaginative and exciting worlds, to create and depict lives with ones bare hands is powerful and it leads to all sorts of possibilities which is why when a movie like this comes along it reminds us that some of the most remarkable and touching stories take place in the real world, even sometimes in a little corner of the world.

9/10
Superb review. One of the best films I saw this year. Speaking of pillow shots, I really should get to watching Ozu films, especially since I've been watching Hirokazu Koreeda films who is most compared to him.

javac

Was planning to check out In This Corner of the World in the cinema last week but didn't make it... maybe sometime this weekend. ^^'
Hopefully you find the time to see it, would love to hear your impressions!
Superb review. One of the best films I saw this year. Speaking of pillow shots, I really should get to watching Ozu films, especially since I've been watching Hirokazu Koreeda films who is most compared to him.
You're too kind :) It's funny that you bring up Hirokazu Koreeda, I've been meaning to watch his movies, I've got After the Storm on the docket but I've got some other movies that I want to get through beforehand.

Icolin

Banned
Grave of the Fireflies

Promised myself I'd never watch this again because I feel like shit everytime I watch it, but I watched it again. And it's still as heartbreaking as I remember it being. Beautiful visuals, music, and one of the best openings of a film I've ever seen, as well a great ending. Can't recommend this enough.

Dunkirk by Leslie Norman was a surprise. It's much better and darker (not cynical dark mind) than you'd think a 1958 British war film would be, and I was surprised by how much it reminded me of Nolan's Dunkirk. Not that I think Nolan ripped it off or anything mind because I think he's just a fantastic director, and not just because its a film showing the same events, but there was several action points in this specially that immediately put me in mind of Nolan's epic. The two films compliment each other, certainly.

While Nolan's film is as per his style, somewhat cold and clinical, this one is full of heart and a bit messy. It shows more than Nolan's Dunkirk does, following a unit of British soldiers retreating from Belgium all the way to dunkirk, showing how they feel and how they motivate themselves to keep fighting and retreating, whilst a simultaneous somewhat sideplot is about a journalist and civilians in England gradually learning of the military disaster across the channel and overcoming their 'cowardice' to mobilise their boats to assist in the dunkirk evactuation with that plucky British dunkirk spirit.

So it wears its heart on its sleeve, and I loved it. Not quite as much as Nolan's film, but they're obviously shooting (no pun intended) for different things. I liked the action scenes, I liked all the characters, I loved the earnest heart on its sleeve feel, I liked the portrayal of the beaches and the retreat, I liked the grousing of the British soldiers, I liked everything about it. I have a feeling it could possibly annoy some people with this kind of attitude, but I liked it a lot, highly reccomended.

Sean C

Sayonara (1957): This James Michener adaptation about forbidden relationships between the American occupation force in postwar Japan and the civilian population is a straightforwardly political plea for toleration of interracial unions (and, explicitly, mixed-race children) that stands out in the context in which it was made. However, admirable politics don't intrinsically make for a good story, and Sayonara's romantic pairings are limp.

Miiko Taka is quite good as the female lead, Hana-Ogi, but it takes the better part of an hour for Marlon Brando's Major Gruver to actually get a one-on-one conversation going with her, and their relationship proceeds with unbelievable rapidity (if the two performers had electric chemistry this might be masked, but the pacing is too stolid for that; Brando, in general, appears fascinatingly disengaged from the subject-matter of the story). Meanwhile, Red Buttons and Miyoshi Umeki won matching supporting performer Oscars as the ill-fated secondary couple, but neither is given all that much to do, particular Umeki (who remains, sadly, the only Asian woman to win an Oscar).

On a production level, the film looks wonderful. I expect that, at the time of release, this would have felt like fairly detailed portrait of contemporary Japan for American audiences. And if it changed anyone's mind about interracial marriage, that's commendable as well. But if you go into the film not needing to be convinced of that, I don't think it has much to offer.

smisk

If anyone wants a good Holocaust doc, check out Night and Fog on Filmstruck. Only 30 minutes, and was shot a decade after the camps were liberated. Pretty eerie seeing them that soon after it happened.

Kong: Skull Island

A lot sillier than I expected. This film manages to crib from the stylistic trimmings of Vietnam-era war films like Apocalypse Now, while not betraying the inherent camp of giant monster flicks. This is the exact type of film where an old Samurai Sword proves to be consistently more useful than any of the firearms, for no apparent reason. This is the type of film where John C. Reiley, doing his John C. Reiley thing, can show up mid-way through the movie and it not feel out of place.

Compared to the last Kong, it's a bit of a toss-up. This film never hits the high highs of that work, there's very few attempts at pathos or genuine drama in this take, Kong himself isn't as fleshed out or as developed as the Jackson Kong, or the original Kong for that matter. Yet, this film also isn't 3 overstuffed hours long, so as a whole It's a bit more of a consistent watch.

Overall, it's a strong-enough continuation of Warner's "MonsterVerse", though I'm more partial to Godzilla.

3.5/5

lordxar

I watched the Alien directors cut last night with my gf. She maybe watched it once years ago and I want to rent Covenant so I'm trying to get her caught up which she sleeps through most movies because of a demanding job. Anyway I'm sitting there watching this amazing horror film that's seriously top ten right?...except I'm not feeling it anymore. Now I've watched Alien a good dozen times in my life but I have not watched it since really getting into film and I certainly have not watched it since Prometheus.

I found the pacing a bit too slow and some really sloppy editing which I've noticed before but hadn't really been annoyed by until now. The part where they repower Ash's head and stick it to the desk is especially bad in the cutting department.

Worse is that now I'm starting to see Ridley Scott's dumbass Prometheus characters way back at the beginning now. I mean we know the first guy gets murdered by a giant monster but Ripley and Parker didnt see it so that automatically makes them think giant fucking monster? Kind of a leap there. Sure there was blood...but why not think he's just brutally injured and missing? That sparks the monster hunt but it felt jarring that blood and missing crew member equals giant monster...I think a bit of a sighting would have helped that part. Which maybe there was, sadly I don't recall exactly.

Ash was a shitty robot too. Yea I know crew expendable but trying to cram a magazine in Ripley's mouth was dumb. Your a murderous, psychotic robot that can simply twist a neck at will but jamming a rolled up paper tube is more effective? He did have some nice human elements at times though.

The whole handling of Kane was especially bad. Hey let's quarantine...nah. Not even isolated in surgery. Future medical science also means shitty oxygen masks for procedures. You'd think there would be better isolation from possible contamination especially since their on some deep space mining run where who knows what the hell is in the air of what their mining on.

Maybe I'm overly critical and I'm really thinking a theatrical version watch is needed now. I can't help but feel that Prometheus just dredged up all the flaws Alien has but I never noticed or cared about until it was redone as a lesser product. Now I'm seeing the same elements from years ago...

I will say that the DVD...yes DVD looked amazing! Her bluray player must be a decent upscaler. Am considering the big bluray box set that has Covenant but we shall see.

kevin1025

Banned
Logan Lucky

Joe Bang!

A solid, fun, smart movie about solid, fun, not so smart people. It has a lot of the humor and tone of The Informant, with some of the style of Ocean's Eleven (with a fun nod to those previous films), and has some really good performances, especially Daniel Craig. The movie does have its faults, mostly that Channing Tatum and Adam Driver are good but come off a little muted (though that's part of their characters), but it is difficult when you have Craig to play off of.

There's a great joke in the prison that got a ton of laughs out of me, and two surprising actors pop up during the last 10-12 minutes. Overall, a good time!

Ip Man

Good martial arts film (very loosely) based on the Wing Chun master who taught Bruce Lee. It's an action movie and I generally don't expect much in the way of plot or acting (both of which were serviceable in Ip Man); what's important is the fight choreography was awesome. If I were to offer one critique, however, it's that the protagonist never even gets challenged. The only time he even gets hit is in the final fight of the movie, which he ends up winning easily like all the others. It felt a little anticlimactic. Still, I recommend this movie if you like martial arts films.

I'll probably continue my current Spielberg binge and finally get around to watching this for the first time this weekend

Do it.

Yeah, John Williams is really a genius. Incredible score. The whole package was really affecting.

The girl in the red coat. Enough said.

Such an amazing and relentlessly sad film. Not sure if I like it or The Pianist more, but they're both fantastic films filled with great performances and beautiful moments for sure.

Fiennes and Neeson are astounding in Schindler's List.

That makes me want to see The Pianist, but I don't know if I can stomach watching a Polanski film.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member

You should watch Son Of Saul.

The Founder

It's like The Social Network but with burgers. Pretty good movie, with very fine performances, especially from the McDonald brothers. The CGI in the movie is pretty shoddy, though, and their use of music feels very cheap and distracting.

I watched the Alien directors cut last night with my gf. She maybe watched it once years ago and I want to rent Covenant so I'm trying to get her caught up which she sleeps through most movies because of a demanding job. Anyway I'm sitting there watching this amazing horror film that's seriously top ten right?...except I'm not feeling it anymore. Now I've watched Alien a good dozen times in my life but I have not watched it since really getting into film and I certainly have not watched it since Prometheus.

I found the pacing a bit too slow and some really sloppy editing which I've noticed before but hadn't really been annoyed by until now. The part where they repower Ash's head and stick it to the desk is especially bad in the cutting department.

Worse is that now I'm starting to see Ridley Scott's dumbass Prometheus characters way back at the beginning now. I mean we know the first guy gets murdered by a giant monster but Ripley and Parker didnt see it so that automatically makes them think giant fucking monster? Kind of a leap there. Sure there was blood...but why not think he's just brutally injured and missing? That sparks the monster hunt but it felt jarring that blood and missing crew member equals giant monster...I think a bit of a sighting would have helped that part. Which maybe there was, sadly I don't recall exactly.

Ash was a shitty robot too. Yea I know crew expendable but trying to cram a magazine in Ripley's mouth was dumb. Your a murderous, psychotic robot that can simply twist a neck at will but jamming a rolled up paper tube is more effective? He did have some nice human elements at times though.

The whole handling of Kane was especially bad. Hey let's quarantine...nah. Not even isolated in surgery. Future medical science also means shitty oxygen masks for procedures. You'd think there would be better isolation from possible contamination especially since their on some deep space mining run where who knows what the hell is in the air of what their mining on.

Maybe I'm overly critical and I'm really thinking a theatrical version watch is needed now. I can't help but feel that Prometheus just dredged up all the flaws Alien has but I never noticed or cared about until it was redone as a lesser product. Now I'm seeing the same elements from years ago...

I will say that the DVD...yes DVD looked amazing! Her bluray player must be a decent upscaler. Am considering the big bluray box set that has Covenant but we shall see.

tom-cruise-no.gif

Though Mark Kermode felt similar about Covenant coming 'too close to Alien', so if that's now ruined... best not to watch the latest entry then.

Ridley327

Burial Ground: Let's face it: it sucks, but it does try to redeem itself with one ultra-sleazy twist that does pay off in a big way by the conclusion. Otherwise, this is a ripoff of Zombi 2 that doesn't have Fulci's gift for establishing an atmosphere, and a soundtrack that frequently sounds like someone smashing a malfunctioning synthesizer to bits with another one. You'd also think that the complete lack of any story whatsoever would mean it would waste less time, but nope, this lumbers around like one of its zombies and makes you wonder how in the world it takes so long to kill the cast, especially when they go out of their way to give the undead the easiest layups to hit.

jtb

Banned
Logan Lucky was so much fun. Spent the entire movie being like "that can't be Daniel Craig, right?" Channing Tatum was in top form, though Adam Driver felt very out of place. Too forced for his character.

The comedy sequence in the prison is, as noted, hysterical.

Feel free to take away my cinefile card for not having seen this earlier, but...

Forrest Gump (1994)
Starring: Tom Hanks, Robin Wright, Gary Sinise, Sally Field, Haley Joel Osment
Director: Robert Zemeckis
It honestly boggles my mind how long it took me to see this movie. And after hearing from pretty much everyone how fantastic it is, finally sitting down to watch it, I had some pretty high expectations. But I'm happy to report that not only did it meet those expectations, but it far exceeded them in almost every way.

The first thing that needs to be talked about is Tom Hanks. This is, without a doubt, the finest performance I've seen to date from him. Just the fact that he was able to play a character like this and have it come off as genuine and not as forced is impressive all on it's own. But the sheer amount of emotion he is able to project throughout the film is truly something to behold. But that's not to say that the rest of the actors don't hold their own; Gary Sinise and Robin Wright both deliver great performances, with Gary Sinise being the standout. And, save for the child actor playing Jenny in the beginning, all of the actors do a pretty solid job.

The other major aspect of this movie that struck me was it's pacing. Most movies over 2 and a half hours sometimes feel like they really don't need to be that long, and in doing so are stretching their story out farther than it can really go (
*cough*
*cough* Batman v Superman *cough*
). But this film is so superbly paced, that it's kind of incredible. There's never a dull moment, and each idea and event is given just the right amount of time before moving on to the next one, that it neither feels rushed nor dragged out. The only part that felt rushed was the ending, but even that managed to still feel genuine and not forced by the script, though it did all come on a bit too quickly.

If this film is anything, though, it's proof to how fantastic of a director Robert Zemeckis is. Especially with the opening scenes and the closing scene, you get a ton of emotion out of just a few shots, and while many other directors would've cut during the opening with Forrest on the bench, Zemeckis lets it play out so that you can really get a sense for who this character is without it being forced down your throat. There were a few editing choices, particularly towards the beginning, that I wasn't a huge fan of, but the rest of the film feels incredibly cohesive.

Ultimately, I don't really need to convince anyone that this movie is good, because I'm probably the last person on Earth to watch it. But it was great to finally see it, and not only finally understand a lot of cultural references, but experience a film in every sense of the phrase.

9/10. Probably gonna watch Cast Away soon.

I liked it as a kid but I feel like I'd hate in now. But then again I felt the same about ET and it turns out that movie is still pretty baller.

Top Bottom